Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wore the Union Jack today

Options
  • 11-12-2011 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Today i wore a union jack tshirt in the city centre of Dublin and was shocked at the amount of abuse i got from people. From living in London nobody wearing a national tshirt ever got abuse apart from scumbags(which are in every country unfortunately). from asking friends i have who are Irish they seem to think its a joke because i'm English , if this happened to an an Irish person in England it'd be a big deal, an unreal amount of Irish people support English teams and wear their shirts with pride yet those are the same people who were givning me abuse about my union jack shirt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Try wearing a Rangers jersey around Dublin and then see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Did you wear it for a bet ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd abuse anyone who has so little respect for their national flag they'd wear it as a t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I got called a paddy walking around London wearing a GAA jersey, so I don't think it is limited to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Try wearing a Rangers jersey around Dublin and then see what happens!

What would happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Which town?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You wore a Union flag on your shirt. A Union Jack hangs off a ship.

Which town?

Dublin of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    Today i wore a union jack tshirt in the city centre of Dublin and was shocked at the amount of abuse i got from people. From living in London nobody wearing a national tshirt ever got abuse apart from scumbags(which are in every country unfortunately). from asking friends i have who are Irish they seem to think its a joke because i'm English , if this happened to an an Irish person in England it'd be a big deal, an unreal amount of Irish people support English teams and wear their shirts with pride yet those are the same people who were givning me abuse about my union jack shirt

What kind of abuse???

I dont believe for one minute,you were walking innocently on..lets say O Connell
    St and you got harrassed??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

just because i wore it as i a tshirt does it mean i deserve the abuse then? and im not talkin about abuse like being called a paddy(which is bad too) i mean really offensive abuse which is uncalled for just for wearing my national colours. never experienced this in my life and every Irish person i ask seems to think im askin for it because of the past, just wanting to know are all Irish people in the same mind set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

an unreal amount of Irish people support English teams and wear their shirts with pride yet those are the same people who were givning me abuse about my union jack shirt

Rightly or wrongly, to certain people a soccer jersey and a union jack tshirt represent two completely different things.

The irish flag is supposed to represent the peace between the protestant and catholic communities but you wouldn't go into the heart of a unionist stronghold in the north draped in the tricolor and expect to be welcomed with open arms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

you dont even know your country's flag geezer do you? its the st Georges flag in case anyone asks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

What did you expect? Its seen as more a taunt than national pride to do something like that. You would have gotten a similar reaction if you wore a swastika or a red hand, its a flammatory thing to do.

chucken1 wrote: »
    What kind of abuse???

I dont believe for one minute,you were walking innocently on..lets say O Connell

yes i said Dublin city centre, was called an English ****, **** off back to england etc, and it was on o'connel street and henry street i most of the stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

chucken1 wrote: »
    What kind of abuse???

I agree with this. I find it very, very hard to believe that anyone abused you for wearing that t-shirt.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, what abuse did you receive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Do you have a lack of common sense - Yes it is an unfortunate overhang of our history but alot of people ( while quite nonplussed to all things Britain hence the premier league jerseys) dislike overt displays of our previous overlords.

Please note that I am not condoning their reactions, and i am delighted with the way we have dragged ourselves out of the dark ages, but merely pointing out that you are obviously an attention seeking cu.t who wanted to make yourself feel worthwhile and your little stunt has achieved this - in your head.

Anyway happy christmas or whatever you are having.

mod: poster banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

never happened anyway. the OP's fishing.

What did you expect? Its seen as more a taunt than national pride to do something like that. You would have gotten a similar reaction if you wore a swastika or a red hand, its a flammatory thing to do.

i expected to be allowed to wear what i wanted in a free country without hassle! are you telling me that if i wore an england jersey in Germany i would get abuse? because when i was there i never had one word said against me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

just because i wore it as i a tshirt does it mean i deserve the abuse then? and im not talkin about abuse like being called a paddy(which is bad too) i mean really offensive abuse which is uncalled for just for wearing my national colours. never experienced this in my life and every Irish person i ask seems to think im askin for it because of the past, just wanting to know are all Irish people in the same mind set

No we are not Danny, You will always meet ignorant muppets obsessed with the past in this country, Ignore them they are not the majority anymore.

Odd??? You can find capital I for Irish....not for i

I call shenaigans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You wear a Union flag t-shirt in the capital of Ireland and you're shocked you got abuse over it from some people? I get abuse from random folk for no reason, too :pac:

I wear my national flag up the north in a strong unionist area and I'd get a swift kick up the arse.

The gas thing is we spend all our gardai budget on protecting the queen on her visit now we need to shut down 14 cop shops...They said it was going to bring tourism!!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

In fairness, regardless of whether you were wearing this or a similar shirt with a different flag (Google didn't return any tri-colour equivalent) anywhere, I'd think you were a dickhead.

Wouldn't give you abuse for it though. But I would definitely think you were a dickhead.

RichieC wrote: »
    never happened anyway. the OP's fishing.
    it did happen i have lived in Ireland for 10 years, every twat wears an English jersey for football yet as i see people seem to think its ok to say **** to me wearing a union jack. im not attention seeking, it was a present i wore it without thinking and was shocked at the reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

You shouldn't get abuse but you will by nobs so if you want to wear it then more power but there is always going to be nobs giving you abuse for it. It would happen if an Irish person did the same in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Well a lot of Irish people are ignorant racist prícks. You should genuinly do this more to piss them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Just tell them to fook off the next time.

My mates english and wore the english jersey, qpr jersey etc and he only got the odd stupid comment.

I do have to remind him not to sing "we are the rangers boys" sometimes though. Sometimes people don't realise he's on about qpr. Funny though.

it did happen i have lived in Ireland for 10 years, every twat wears an English jersey for football yet as i see people seem to think its ok to say **** to me wearing a union jack. im not attention seeking, it was a present i wore it without thinking and was shocked at the reaction

You seem very angry :(

Can you tell us what the abuse was????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

So being called a Paddy isn't 'really offensive abuse'? Interesting.
    i expected to be allowed to wear what i wanted in a free country without hassle! are you telling me that if i wore an england jersey in Germany i would get abuse? because when i was there i never had one word said against me

Ah yes, "it's a free country": everyone's favorite excuse for attention-seeking obnoxious behavior.

So if you wore a Real Madrid jersey to a Barca game, you're telling me you would be shocked to get abuse because it's a 'free country'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

yes i said Dublin city centre, was called an English ****, **** off back to england etc, and it was on o'connel street and henry street i most of the stick

Wouldn't have happened on the south side :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement