Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wore the Union Jack today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

800 years of building us hospitals, roads and teaching us a modern language we should be thanking the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Oranage2 wrote: »
    800 years of building us hospitals, roads and teaching us a modern language we should be thanking the OP.
    I suppose you're ignoring the mass murder and conquest, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    i have lived in Ireland for 10 years

and how many union jacks have you seen here in that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Thread took 14 posts before being Godwinned
    Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I got called a paddy walking around London wearing a GAA jersey.

Suprised any non-Irish person in London would have even heard of the GAA letalone be able to recognise a jersey.
    ThePower11 wrote: »
    Try wearing a Rangers jersey around Dublin and then see what happens!

I believe there used to be(/still is ?) a Rangers fan club in Dublin.

Not really my sort of thing but (if theyre still around) best of luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

We like the English,it's them that don't like us. We greeted the queen and showed her a good time when she was here. She wants to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

deisedave wrote: »
    You shouldn't get abuse but you will by nobs so if you want to wear it then more power but there is always going to be nobs giving you abuse for it. It would happen if an Irish person did the same in England.

my whole family is Irish living in Birmingham and London, they got abuse 40 years ago not today and they're shocked when i told them. totally unacceptable or not?

my whole family is Irish living in Birmingham and London, they got abuse 40 years ago not today and they're shocked when i told them. totally unacceptable or not?

I honestly don't believe you got the abuse you said in Dublin, no one cares if you are English or not. You are just stirring ****.

So being called a Paddy isn't 'really offensive abuse'? Interesting.

Ah yes, "it's a free country": everyone's favorite excuse for attention-seeking obnoxious behavior.

So if you wore a Real Madrid jersey to a Barca game, you're telling me you would be shocked to get abuse because it's a 'free country'?

hardly the same, should i feel that im walking through enemy territory while walking through the city centre then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

ah yeah but there wasnt enough spuds to go around, they did us a favor. :pac:

• Advertisement

totally unacceptable or not?

hmmm... totally acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Lets put it this way....I wouldnt wander in to D4 Dublin in a Munster jersey and not expect to have the peewee taken.(I wouldnt call it abuse btw..its asking for it ;))

Tell us..out of curiosity..your age(ish) and the age of those abusing you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

drdeadlift wrote: »
    The gas thing is we spend all our gardai budget on protecting the queen on her visit now we need to shut down 14 cop shops...They said it was going to bring tourism!!

I reckon the average boards.ie user is happy with how things went down :rolleyes:

They loved the queen coming over and most people have a hard on for the public sector. So 'win win' for them :rolleyes:

what i said happened for whoever said it didn't. if this happened against an ethnic group it'd be an issue but i can see from the replies that most people think i was inviting trouble for wearing my national colours. Next time your in england im sure you wont feel the trepidation i will now feel when next wearing my union jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chanthomas

I am "half" english I have lived in Ireland since I was 5 years old! Why should I feel bad for wearing my native country's symbol? When so many people wear Man U t-shirts..etc?

what i said happened for whoever said it didn't. if this happened against an ethnic group it'd be an issue but i can see from the replies that most people think i was inviting trouble for wearing my national colours. Next time your in england im sure you wont feel the trepidation i will now feel when next wearing my union jack

Get over it no one cares. wear decent clothes in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

drdeadlift wrote: »
    ...They said it was going to bring tourism!!

The OP ?
    if this happened against an ethnic group it'd be an issue

But it did !

chucken1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt wander in to D4 Dublin in a Munster jersey and not expect to have the peewee taken.

What would they call you, a cont :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've seen people around O'Connell Street get abused for being tall, short, fat, ginger, black, homeless, non-Dubliners, or ugly. What makes you so fcuking special?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I've seen people around O'Connell Street get abused for being tall, short, fat, ginger, black, homeless, non-Dubliners, or ugly. What makes you so fcuking special?
    I never met a person with so many problems as that. How can a person be tall and short? One leg longer than the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

In the (very, very unlikely) situation that you did actually get abuse, you just got unlucky.

Every 2 years, the English rugby team play Ireland in Dublin and thousands of English fans walk around wearing jerseys, carrying St George's Cross flags and Union jacks. They walks around the city, drink in the pubs, go to the match and generally have a good time without any issue, hassle or abuse.

The idea that wearing some form of Engish/British clothing/flag will get you abused all the time is complete b*llox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

hondasam wrote: »
    I honestly don't believe you got the abuse you said in Dublin, no one cares if you are English or not. You are just stirring ****.

Most people dont care if he is English or not but you know yourself some dopes would like to pick on someone just because he is wearing an English top. The majority of people couldnt give a flute tho and I have been in England and some of them do not like Irish either but the majority didnt care same as anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

But Irish people dont go to England wearing Irish Tricolour shirts! And being English over here is perfectly acceptable, if you've been here 10 years as you say, you know that the vast majority of Irish people are warm and friendly to the British people.

It's the flag thats the problem - Its an Imperial relic that reminds people of bad times and unwelcome attitudes towards us - you should have know better.

deisedave wrote: »
    Most people dont care if he is English or not but you know yourself some dopes would like to pick on someone just because he is wearing an English top. The majority of people couldnt give a flute tho and I have been in England and some of them do not like Irish either but the majority didnt care same as anywhere.

I know but the op is stirring and it annoys me, he is anti Irish and if it did happen he probably started it.

Because people get grief just because they were English! Why is that is that right if they were Polish or some other nationality? would that be the same!?

chanthomas wrote: »
    I am "half" english I have lived in Ireland since I was 5 years old! Why should I feel bad for wearing my native country's symbol? When so many people wear Man U t-shirts..etc?

Are you not Irish then?

chanthomas wrote: »
    Because people get grief just because they were English! Why is that is that right if they were Polish or some other nationality? would that be the same!?

You are going to get confused posting from two a/c now. give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

are all Irish people in the same mind set

YES.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

In the (very, very unlikely) situation that you did actually get abuse, you just got unlucky.

Every 2 years, the English rugby team play Ireland in Dublin and thousands of English fans walk around wearing jerseys, carrying St George's Cross flags and Union jacks. They walks around the city, drink in the pubs, go to the match and generally have a good time without any issue, hassle or abuse.

The idea that wearing some form of Engish/British clothing/flag will get you abused all the time is complete b*llox.

Ive no plus sign on my puter....so :D
    Well said.
    Seems theres a few stirry uppies around today

signed
    Ms Republican

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement