Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

2 Slight Points

Parents told me of some lad knocking on the door offerring to remove a "birds nest" in the chimney must of had x-ray vision goggles on to spot that from the road outside the house, anyway parents were home and the dog done its usual response to someone knocking on the door went crazy down the hall your man said no problem when he was told the folks werent interested. I presume they were checking who was home on the road during the day.

Second one mother recieved a phonecall from a "microsoft operator" saying that someone in our house recently downloaded malicious software and that he could remove it all he needed was the password etc to the computers in the house). Mother just said she didint know how to use a computer and your man was stuck for words. I work in software myself and nobody by regulations rings up people asking for passwords.

Just wanted to stick these two in the thread incase anybody encountered something similar!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Second one mother recieved a phonecall from a "microsoft operator" saying that someone in our house recently downloaded malicious software and that he could remove it all he needed was the password etc to the computers in the house). Mother just said she didint know how to use a computer and your man was stuck for words. I work in software myself and nobody by regulations rings up people asking for passwords.

This happens all the time and has been for a few years. Some Indian sounding person rings up saying they're from Microsoft and there's a problem with our computer. I always tell them I don't have a computer and they stutter for a minute then abruptly hang up the phone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Got that phone call during the week, told him to feck off, he rang again so just hung up on him.

It's the same lad "Indian" I didint want to point towards any particular national :)

Defo the same dude tho.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's the same lad "Indian" I didint want to point towards any particular national :)

Defo the same dude tho.

Yep, like I said, it's been happening for years. Had stopped for a good while there but seems to have started up again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Defo the same dude tho.

It's not one dude, it's a whole crowd of scammers in a call centre of scammers somewhere. It's also not unique to d15.

I like to chat to them inanely about complete and utter rubbish and then tell them I don't know how to switch on the computer that my husband only allows me be on it for half an hour a day and he switches it on and supervises me on it.

2 Slight Points

Parents told me of some lad knocking on the door offerring to remove a "birds nest" in the chimney must of had x-ray vision goggles on to spot that from the road outside the house, anyway parents were home and the dog done its usual response to someone knocking on the door went crazy down the hall your man said no problem when he was told the folks werent interested. I presume they were checking who was home on the road during the day.

This is also a tactic they are using in Dublin 15, they are getting you to look up and they take a good look at the locks on the front door. So they can come back and break in. This is exactly what happened to my mate. They will go back to the car Mark down the number of the house, 2 old people, 2 locks, Chub and Yale. They will mark down the positions of were the locks are and return. As mentioned previous. It took them less then 5 seconds to break in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've heard of from a couple of older people that they've been targeted by pickpockets/thief's in the Blanch Main Village.
    The usual tactic of distracting them while trying to rob them.

So maybe warn people to be observant if in the Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

They're at it in the centre too using maps. Be vigilant.

I've heard about the Map one alright also.

Seemingly there is another trick of the trade with ATM's. You walk up to the ATM and there will be a lad standing there already telling you the ATM does not work or something and then will manage to get your pin-code and fooling you into taking a dummy card. I'm not 100% sure how it works just heard it through a friend.

There was a BMW robbed in Roselawn Shopping Complex two weeks back while the owner was in doing shopping seemingly the security peeps down there are not the brightest (from what I'm told).

• Advertisement

Red 05 CE Transit Van on the prowl today. Attempted a couple of places in Tyrrelstown. Blonde woman drive, large unkept man in the front another well dressed man in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I've been off work the last week and doing work in the front garden. I've seen a white van with a yellow reg pass by the end of my road (one of the Stocktons in Castleknock) several times, often coming part way up the road then u-turning back out again. This happens a couple of times a day. I haven't been able to get the reg as I'm too far away to see it properly. This white van seems to be doing the rounds. Hopefully I'll get the reg the next time. It's very worrying to think the road is being scoped out. There's a lot of elderly people on my road.

A lot of these guy's in the vans are looking for scrap from skips but will happily take a bike in a garden while going through the skip and will have a look over a wall into the back garden for later on.

Silver Audi Hatchback Cork reg currently in Dublin 15. It hit a house in Cabra yesterday at 2 in the day.

Heard of a Blue transit 04 CE reg patrolling dublin 15 also. It has a roof rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublin15head

Seen that blue transit in Manorfields yesterday morning about 8am. Came down the road which is a cul de sac and drove to either end of the 'T' at the end of the cul de sac. Only the driver it seems in the vehicle. Looked like it might have been looking for clothes bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Seen that blue transit in Manorfields yesterday morning about 8am. Came down the road which is a cul de sac and drove to either end of the 'T' at the end of the cul de sac. Only the driver it seems in the vehicle. Looked like it might have been looking for clothes bags?

Saw the same blue transit van at around 7am in Manorfields yesterday morning, was he really driving around for that amount of time in one small estate? Suspicious IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I just popped down to the shop and came back to find my house alarm going off. Can't see any signs of attempted forced entry, but it's got me a little worried now.

Ongar Wood area. Keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour people!!

Silver Audi Hatchback Cork reg currently in Dublin 15. It hit a house in Cabra yesterday at 2 in the day.

Heard of a Blue transit 04 CE reg patrolling dublin 15 also. It has a roof rack.

Spotted a dodgy looking blue transit with a roof rack going very slowly couple of days ago, didn't get the reg but was an Irish plate, it has scratch markings on the roof, front and back, white paint underneath like a respray.

nudger wrote: »
    Spotted a dodgy looking blue transit with a roof rack going very slowly couple of days ago, didn't get the reg but was an Irish plate, it has scratch markings on the roof, front and back, white paint underneath like a respray.

It was reported also. It broke into a house in Mulhuddart, through the front window.

2 guys around this morning in a silver van. Didnt get the make but they have been seen checking out a housing estate in Ongar, One of them is clearly holding a golf club. Images have been taken of the guys, its being passed onto the police.

• Advertisement

2 guys around this morning in a silver van. Didnt get the make but they have been seen checking out a housing estate in Ongar, One of them is clearly holding a golf club. Images have been taken of the guys, its being passed onto the police.

Ah they are probably looking for Salogue or Elmgreen.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I'm not sure if Neighbourhood Watch is the right thread, but anyway, someone burned down one of the large wooden benches in the park in Porterstown. A couple of people have mentioned an increase in anti-social behavior there in the late evenings recently, though that has only been in passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Came home this evening to find a burst bag of rubbish in our car park in Waterville. Nothing I could see with an address but disgusted that someone would drive in, dump and go.

I actually have a point about Porterstown football pitches also.

I go jogging down there 3/4 evenings a week with a friend of mine usually at around 7.00pm.

A few weeks ago it was raining and I was by myself on this occasion. I do laps in a clockwise routine so I was finishing one of my laps and I was coming up the left hand side of the park (beside the club house) in the carpark I could see an old black Opel Vectra pulling very slowly out of the carpark and driving off up towards the church.

When I got to the front of the pitch I could see that there was a back window smashed on a seat cordoba (grey colour) it wasint smashed before I went on that lap.

Now it was raining that evening so there wasint many people walking dogs, jogging etc. I was the only one at the time in view of the carpark so I'd say the car left when they saw me coming up the hill.

I suppose if I would of been a little quicker :) I would have prevented the window being smashed. It just shows you that you cant leave anything behind/in view on the car seats.

The scumbags are prepared to wait until everyone is out of sight to make there move.

The good thing is that the football teams are training now again during the weeks so that will deter people.

Anyways be careful everyone!

was updated about a break in on sunday. Some guys were spotted breaking into a house in Mulhuddart. The police were called and arrived while the guys were in the house. Neighbours told them that they are in the house. Police said they cannot enter the house without due cause and left the estate. The burglars then escaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Same guys banged really hard at my front door and bedroom window Friday morning selling sets of kitchen knives (horrible cheap plastic handle things!!). Obviously testing to see if alarms went off. I had a bit of fun with them. I have some equipment beside my door that I use for outdoor activities. One of them is a large machete-like blade. So I grabbed it, showed it and politely told them I had all the blades I needed thanks.

If they were genuine, they wouldn't be trying to sell goods when the majority of people are in work.

So glad I work from home and am around when these guys are up to their tricks.

Had this in carpenters town a few weeks ago also , thought it was very strange business selling knives at my front door , told the guy to jog on the dog was barking his head off but i think he was expecting there to be nobody at home

was updated about a break in on sunday. Some guys were spotted breaking into a house in Mulhuddart. The police were called and arrived while the guys were in the house. Neighbours told them that they are in the house. Police said they cannot enter the house without due cause and left the estate. The burglars then escaped.

Actually lost for words after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The neighbours and home owner should complain to the senior management in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

It does not surprise me at all with the Guards in Blanch/General.

Below is a link to a thread I started, basically a year ago a car hit mine in a car park, I have pictures of the car and reg plate and over a year later nothing. They did manage to make sure I had the proper paper work (at a cost to me as I shredded the letters as I didn’t think I needed anything but the disc), but don’t mind your one that hit me

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056949885

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Similar story to me. Guy pulled out of traffic queue to drive down the white line to the roundabout on Snugborough road causing me to emergency stop, sliding into kerb. He hits my wing mirror on the way past. Fiat Punto behind me isn't so lucky, slides into the back of my car - cue EUR4500 damage to my Triumph Stag. Other guy keeps on going, but I run after him and after some argument get his details. Also got Punto's details, her insurance paid for my work eventually.

However Blanch Gardaí refused even to take a statement from me when I went to them the next day, wouldn't follow up on the matter whatsoever despite me having contact details for four witnesses.

On the other hand, I have had dealings with the Gardaí at Lucan and Ronanstown, and they have always been fantastic. I make the time to write a thank-you letter to their Superintendent when it's merited.

Pretty sure the Blanch Gardaí know the guy in my sig link, he's a prolific burglar at Clonsilla train station and in the Ongar residential area. But no help from them at all.

<snip> If your sig had to be removed, posting here to get around that is not helpful</snip>

Advertisement