Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

AMKC wrote: »
    You can buy ships separately or wait till there is deals on and then buy then. That's all I ever done. I find the site however more awkward ir clumsy to use now than when they started it.

By separately do you mean not subscribe and just individual ships with the magazine as they are released ?

I’d consider the website more dangerous than clumsy as I was tempted to part with my wallet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Evade

Stark wrote: »
    Was she even shown to have actual feelings towards men in "Voyager"? The whole Chakotay thing had all the chemistry of a homework assignment which is probably what is was. "Doctor told me I need to explore human romantic relationships. Chakotay has indicated a willingness to participate. Therefore I will use him to gain this knowledge and experience". I guess in the alternative future they end up married, not sure how valid that is.
    She had a long term relationship with a man in Unimatrix Zero and was "willing to explore my humanity" with Harry and told him "take off your clothes."

pixelburp wrote: »
    7of9 being Bi doesn't bother me (and if anything a nice change of pace given Bi are kinda the forgotten letter in the acronym); what bothered me was the literal last-minute inclusion of a pairing that hitherto went unshown. But that last episode of Picard was just a big 'aul hot mess top to bottom, wouldn't pick 7of9's sexuality change as especially egregious. Orientation isn't something that always happens in puberty and perhaps as she got more used to the human experience, 7of9 realised her tastes weren't confined to hetero ones. And again, if Picard had bothered showing some evidence of this before the very last scene of episode 10, it wouldn't have caused such whiplash.

I enjoyed the series and that episode but I dislike what happens to Picard. The illness had no affect through the season and turning him into an android that has no android powers means he isn’t an android or a human. So what was the point?

The last minute Abrams “look we have gays aren’t we great” moment accomplishes nothing except to lose the potential of building up that relationship between Seven and the other chick whose name I can’t remember.

I don’t understand the need to pair every character - the pilot and the scientist were already a couple.

Was she even shown to have actual feelings towards men in "Voyager"? The whole Chakotay thing had all the chemistry of a homework assignment which is probably what is was. "Doctor told me I need to explore human romantic relationships. Chakotay has indicated a willingness to participate. Therefore I will use him to gain this knowledge and experience". I guess in the alternative future they end up married, not sure how valid that is.

Chakotay himself has all the charisma of a pencil case so a chemistry freee relationship is more than he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

By separately do you mean not subscribe and just individual ships with the magazine as they are released ?

I’d consider the website more dangerous than clumsy as I was tempted to part with my wallet :p

separately do you mean not subscribe and just individual ships with the magazine as they are released ?
    Yes that's what I mean and you can buy anything on the site like that as long as they are in stock.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

separately do you mean not subscribe and just individual ships with the magazine as they are released ?
    Yes that's what I mean and you can buy anything on the site like that as long as they are in stock.

I didn’t see that option

I will check it out later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I enjoyed the series and that episode but I dislike what happens to Picard. The illness had no affect through the season and turning him into an android that has no android powers means he isn’t an android or a human. So what was the point?

The last minute Abrams “look we have gays aren’t we great” moment accomplishes nothing except to lose the potential of building up that relationship between Seven and the other chick whose name I can’t remember.

I don’t understand the need to pair every character - the pilot and the scientist were already a couple.

picard was a clusterfuq....

picard becoming an android seems to go against everything we seems to have learned of picards personality.
    Seven becomes bi to tick some box.
    They seemed intent on overkill....out went 2 of the 3 android sisters, gone was icheb, maddox and hugh.

and next season they are hauling out guinan and q to make it more of a tng nostalgia trip

Working through Enterprise with the emphasis on work. It's really difficult to get through each episode, also dislike the set design, so gray and dark. You'd think they'd make a starship somewhat pleasant to be in given the long journey times and claustrophobia? The season 1 episodes are hokey and the temporal cold war is just a tired idea, time travel + war = good plot? meh. However, sometimes when they have a decent or ridiculous episode, it's watchable, for example Archer, Trip and random dude get attacked by the cum monster, Trip gets pregnant etc. Enterprise makes it really obvious why Battlestar Galactica was so popular in the 00s, it was a breath of fresh air.

That cum monster comment has had me laughing since you posted. I have no memory of it and am afraid to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Evade wrote: »
    She had a long term relationship with a man in Unimatrix Zero and was "willing to explore my humanity" with Harry and told him "take off your clothes."

Ah yes, forgot about Unimatrix Zero guy.

Chakotay himself has all the charisma of a pencil case so a chemistry freee relationship is more than he deserves.

I'm a bit of a Janeway-Chakotay "shipper" tbh. Thought there was a lot of on screen chemistry there.

I'm a bit of a Janeway-Chakotay "shipper" tbh. Thought there was a lot of on screen chemistry there.
    Especially in Resolutions, the one where they think they'll be left behind on a planet after contracting a really specific disease.

• Advertisement
    Ms

That cum monster comment has had me laughing since you posted. I have no memory of it and am afraid to look it up.

It's the sticky alien that hooks into there nervous systems and can only be communicated with by music. Its planet is covered in it and it got into Enterprise from another alien ship it was on that had landed on its planet

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ah yes, forgot about Unimatrix Zero guy.

That is only because Mulgrew is a great actress. She made you think there was chemistry.

Who is Harry?

It's the sticky alien that hooks into there nervous systems and can only be communicated with by music. Its planet is covered in it and it got into Enterprise from another alien ship it was on that had landed on its planet

Zero memory on that.

Maybe I blocked it out.

Who is Harry?
    Ensign Harry Kim the Ops officer on Voyager.

Evade wrote: »
    Ensign Harry Kim the Ops officer on Voyager.

Don’t remember. Was he background guy in few episodes? Like the transporter chief in the original?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don’t remember. Was he background guy in few episodes? Like the transporter chief in the original?

He was a regular cast member, and in many respects, this shows just how well written the character was, that you just don't remember him. He was played by Garrett Wang and by all accounts is regarded as one of the worst Trek crew in any of its shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

He was a regular cast member, and in many respects, this shows just how well written the character was, that you just don't remember him. He was played by Garrett Wang and by all accounts is regarded as one of the worst Trek crew in any of its shows.

in terms of character....not the actors, Kim was abysmal.

however these character were even worse.

Wesley, an obnoxious , known all little sh1t that irritated me.
    Neelix - Q junior was right, he is just a kitchen rat....annoying
    Geordi - the most boring person in the entire alpha quadrant
    Troi - nice to look at....and thats it...woeful
    Beverly Crusher ....cardboard cut out.

TNG had some awful characters, but thankfully, picard, data, riker, barclay, polaski etc made up

Ms

Awe no way. I disagree there. There were a better crew than what's on Discovery I can honestly not remember any of the Discovery crew except for the alien guy and I have even forgotten his name lol. They were also much better than the so called crew in Picard who's names I can not remember either. At least with Voyager you knew who the Captain was who the first officer was who the engineer was who was on helm and tactical and ops. You can not say that about the last two shows I just mentioned.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kim was a personality vacuum and arguably should have died in Year in Hell; scripts never seemed to know what to do with him and TBH the actor lacked the charisma to at least give him some verve and energy. Can't compare to Discovery because that show hasn't even given the crew actual story or focus. Kim got both and still came off dull.

He was played by Garrett Wang and by all accounts is regarded as one of the worst Trek crew in any of its shows.
    [citation needed]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

QUOTE=Evade;117417284]I think absenteeism was the main issue he was trying to avoid which is slightly ironic giving the end of DS9.

Those are common enough father types on TV though - for white people too.

I was just curious becasue I cannot recall any shows from the time other than Fresh Prince (was that years before though??) and Uncle Phil was a positive father figure.[/quote]

Father figure but where was Wills actual father. Same goes for Different Strokes they were orphans. Spike Lee movies were pretty big at the time too I think so maybe it was that version of black life he was talking about

Its what Brooks himself said I don't know the answer I just know it was his motivation

Awe no way. I disagree there. There were a better crew than what's on Discovery I can honestly not remember any of the Discovery crew except for the alien guy and I have even forgotten his name lol. They were also much better than the so called crew in Picard who's names I can not remember either. At least with Voyager you knew who the Captain was who the first officer was who the engineer was who was on helm and tactical and ops. You can not say that about the last two shows I just mentioned.

I can remember two Discovery crew members names. Saru because I think he is the only truely good character and Detmer because I think she is attractive so not a good sign really. I have even forgotten the scientists name and I liked him for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I can remember two Discovery crew members names. Saru because I think he is the only truely good character and Detmer because I think she is attractive so not a good sign really. I have even forgotten the scientists name and I liked him for the most part

I keep expecting them to give Detmer a proper plotline but nope...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I keep expecting them to give Detmer a proper plotline but nope...

They came so close and then just wrapped it up with a cheap Tom Cruise mojo plot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kim was a personality vacuum and arguably should have died in Year in Hell; scripts never seemed to know what to do with him and TBH the actor lacked the charisma to at least give him some verve and energy. Can't compare to Discovery because that show hasn't even given the crew actual story or focus. Kim got both and still came off dull.

Mayweather... Merriweather... Merry... that guy from Enterprise... makes Harry Kim come across as the Outrageous Okona!
    And wasnt actively annoying like Neelix.

At least Harry made a good foil for rest of the crew to have some fun with.

Yes that is faint praise.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't think we can fairly assess Discovery's characters given most of the bridge crew have likely had fewer lines of dialogue than Ensign Ro, and twice fewer moments of characterisation

I don't think we can fairly assess Discovery's characters given most of the bridge crew have likely had fewer lines of dialogue than Ensign Ro, and twice fewer moments of characterisation

I know the world doesn't revolve around what I want but seeing how a CREW deal with a trek through the stars is what I like about Star Trek. I even find it weird watching TOS how little Sulu and Chekov were involved until the movies

I know the world doesn't revolve around what I want but seeing how a CREW deal with a trek through the stars is what I like about Star Trek. I even find it weird watching TOS how little Sulu and Chekov were involved until the movies

Sure. That's not to say we couldn't have a Trek focused around 1 or 2 characters mind you, it's just Disco isn't a good example of anything. Other than indication that good writing is not a prerequisite to professional writing jobs.

Sure. That's not to say we couldn't have a Trek focused around 1 or 2 characters mind you, it's just Disco isn't a good example of anything. Other than indication that good writing is not a prerequisite to professional writing jobs.

Meh I still want a crew. Even Picard which is named after one person gave us a crew where people had defined jobs and qualities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It's from the episode Vox Sola, here's are some pics of the crew covered in the proverbial

ent-voxsola20.jpg

ent-voxsola15.jpg

ent-voxsola19.jpg

They were definitely going for a creature feature body horror vibe but it just ended up being hokey with the alien wanting to go home and enveloping Archer et al so as not to feel "lonely" as Dr Phlox put it.

Advertisement