Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

Ah ok cool, tanx for the responses. I was really put off by the amount of weird messages I got after a day, so I hid my profile. Therefore its up to me to message guys 1st.

Messaged four, 2 replies, so 50% success :)
    It is kinda scary, but fluke it, Id rather message them than get a load of crappy one liners and creepy people messaging me! Seriously that site seems to attract some weirdos!

This thread makes for some very amusing reading :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

panda100 wrote: »
    Just got this message on okcupid:
    Hi Miss
    Hows you today
    I'm looking to be made a cuckold
    Id do your housework,pamper you and cook for you
    I hope this pleases you Miss xx

Whats a cuckold?Never heared that before.I do like the sound of the free cleaning and cooking for life though!Seriously, do women actually respond to these type of messages???

"You look beautiful in your picture.I would love to be your servant, waiting on
    your beck and call for whatever you needed. Your amazing looking.Would
    you be interested in a loyal cuckold boyfriend?"

Quite possibly same guy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ah ok cool, tanx for the responses. I was really put off by the amount of weird messages I got after a day, so I hid my profile. Therefore its up to me to message guys 1st.

Messaged four, 2 replies, so 50% success :)
    It is kinda scary, but fluke it, Id rather message them than get a load of crappy one liners and creepy people messaging me! Seriously that site seems to attract some weirdos!

This thread makes for some very amusing reading :D

I'd give my leg for 50% response :P

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Cuckold is an old term that comes from Middle English for a man with an unfaithful wife. It was never meant as a complimentary term.

So I think he needs to brush up on his medieval literature. Tell him to read some Chaucer :pac:

Is it? I always thought cuckold was something to do with being spoilt...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

mariebeth wrote: »

You should google it ;) It'll throw up a few demonstrational vids :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Bastards be crazy, yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mariebeth wrote: »

Absolutely. I did enough essays on Chaucer and The Miller's Tale to ever forget what cuckolding means!
    Definition of CUCKOLD

: a man whose wife is unfaithful
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cuckold

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Absolutely. I did enough essays on Chaucer and The Miller's Tale to ever forget what cuckolding means!

I watched... ahem, documentraries. :P

Samich wrote: »
    You should google it ;) It'll throw up a few demonstrational vids :pac:

It's okay thanks :) I'll believe ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Well, just a couple of things to add here. To the person who got the ridiculously rude message, ignore it, it's a troll. To anyone afraid to message someone, just do it, you only live once! And to people who maybe think ignoring a message that someone has taken the time to send is a good idea, there is no harm in replying in a friendly way. Maybe make it clear straight away by saying, listen, I'm not interested in you romantically but would like to talk if you would? Or the best one I came across was when I for one of the very very few times I would have tried to message someone replied and said "thank you for your lovely message, I hope you find the person you are looking for...". I thought that was really nice, I replied and said thanks and same to you!

Anyway, I've also got a second date organised for this weekend. Lots of familiar and friendly chat happening. Whatever happens, happens, but right now, she is lovely and this is a nice experience....

Yours,

Cautiously optimistic...

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the date wobblyknees!

I haven't had much luck as of late, same old faces on POF most of the time. Don't think I'll have much time over the next 3-4 months anyway between college & a part time job & actually seeing my friends, so I'd probably be better off just deleting my account til May, buuuuuutttt...I think I'll leave it up for now because you never know who'll join up in the mean time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

When I was on POF I got the courage to message a few guys after a while. I made a big effort to reference their interests and try to make the subject line a bit different based off something in their profile. I got a lot less than 50% response rate. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

A couple of months ago I got a nice email from a guy with an interesting profile. However he had kids - I know some people are cool with that but an ex had kids and it's something I decided to avoid in the future. Anyway because he seemed nice and put a bit of effort into the email, I tried to be nice back and sent a message along the lines of 'you seem like just my cuppa tea but once bitten twice shy on the whole kids thing'. I got a stream of abuse back, and thought to myself, 'bullet dodged there, forget him'.

Which I did until a few weeks ago when a new guy starts in work who looks familiar in a way that I couldn't place. Then sitting next to him in a meeting one day, I saw his background picture of his phone was his kids... and BAM, realisation hit that my new colleague is the internet-dater-angry-man. :eek:

Small world out there... my only hope is that he doesn't have the same freakishly good memory I do for profile pics. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

A couple of months ago I got a nice email from a guy with an interesting profile. However he had kids - I know some people are cool with that but an ex had kids and it's something I decided to avoid in the future. Anyway because he seemed nice and put a bit of effort into the email, I tried to be nice back and sent a message along the lines of 'you seem like just my cuppa tea but once bitten twice shy on the whole kids thing'. I got a stream of abuse back, and thought to myself, 'bullet dodged there, forget him'.

Which I did until a few weeks ago when a new guy starts in work who looks familiar in a way that I couldn't place. Then sitting next to him in a meeting one day, I saw his background picture of his phone was his kids... and BAM, realisation hit that my new colleague is the internet-dater-angry-man. :eek:

Small world out there... my only hope is that he doesn't have the same freakishly good memory I do for profile pics. :pac:

oh crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

"You look beautiful in your picture.I would love to be your servant, waiting on
    your beck and call for whatever you needed. Your amazing looking.Would
    you be interested in a loyal cuckold boyfriend?"

Quite possibly same guy! :D

I say its definately the same guy,I love this dude!Im in the market for a slave/servant at the moment,might reply and ask him what cleaning/cooking expeience he has :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Right, got a few messages over the day and I replied to one that I found hilarious.

Eeep! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Wow, small world indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd be the same, if someone read my profile and actually took a bit of time to mail me I would reply. One liners or hi or anything like that I wouldn't take the time to reply to. If they didn't make any effort then why should you?

I'm exactly the same. I know all too well how frustrating it can be to put actual effort into mails only for them to be ignored, so if someone takes the time to write a decent message to me its only fair to respond in kind.
    That said, if it's a one word email or a 'how r u?' no dice! I took the time to write up a decent profile so they should take the time to mo'fo'ing acknowledge it! :pac:

I seem to be getting a lot of mail in the last day or two. Bad weather keeping the wimmin indoors perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Haven't posted really here, but am messaging two nice lads recently ooohh :D

On a separate note, is it really bad that the first thing I check out on someone's profile is their height?? :o:p

Galvasean wrote: »
    That said, if it's a one word email or a 'how r u?' no dice! I took the time to write up a decent profile so they should take the time to mo'fo'ing acknowledge it! :pac:

Totally agree, those short one liner (or sometimes even one word) messages are one of my biggest turn offs on a dating site.

I tried replying to a one liner/one word message last week, I think it started off:

Him: Hixxx
    Me: Hi
    Him: hows u
    Me: Grand. You?
    Him: At work. Bored and u?

Yeah...I stopped replying after that. Felt like I was drawing blood from a stone or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

panda100 wrote: »
    I think all those dating 'tips' are a bit stupid. They always tell you not to mention religion or politics on a first date,which is ridiculous. Your political or religious persuasion can be a big part of who you are and what makes you tick. I couldn't date anyone very religious or right wing, so best to just find out on the first date.
    I think best thing to do is be true to yourself.If your into sci-fi then be out and proud about it.Certainly wouldn't put me off anyway!

Just got this message on okcupid:
    Hi Miss
    Hows you today
    I'm looking to be made a cuckold
    Id do your housework,pamper you and cook for you
    I hope this pleases you Miss xx

Whats a cuckold?Never heared that before.I do like the sound of the free cleaning and cooking for life though!Seriously, do women actually respond to these type of messages???

I got that exact same message!!:eek: I dont know what Cuckold was either, weirdo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

missbelle wrote: »
    On a separate note, is it really bad that the first thing I check out on someone's profile is their height?? :o:p

It's not bad as everybody has their own preferences which they cant control - and I say this as a somewhat short fellow who is often overlooked (wayoooh!!!!!) by taller women.
    That said I always imagined my type was small, dark haired and slightly younger than me - last girl i went out with properly was tall, blonde and older than me. So my advice would be dont let your 'type' restrict you, but dont be ashamed of liking what you like either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

missbelle wrote: »
    Haven't posted really here, but am messaging two nice lads recently ooohh :D

I do the same! Yes I'm shallow...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I definitely think if someone makes an effort to email you, and writes a relatively lengthly mail - even if you're not into them, you should make an effort to reply and let them know nicely. Ignoring is ignorant IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Owen wrote: »
    I definitely think if someone makes an effort to email you, and writes a relatively lengthly mail - even if you're not into them, you should make an effort to reply and let them know nicely. Ignoring is ignorant IMHO.

For anyone that mails me and makes a genuine effort at composing a message I will always respond,even if its a thanks but no thanks.One liners get ignored though.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

I am finding it very hard to take a lot of the women on it serious. Who is a troll and who is not. You can be damn sure there are a few in both sexes no doubt. On the plus I have been chatting to a girl all evening and we are havin a laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

It's just a wee habit of mine, like I obviously see where is their location I try to be realistic I don't see the point in striking up conversation with someone in Cork when I'm the other side of the country.
    I have been with guys just slightly taller than me (I'm 5"5), but I do prefer someone around 5"11 or 6ft... just so's I can feel a bit teeny and prettier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

liz2 wrote: »
    good for you! ;)
    i met my guy on connecting singles, my first time ever trying that site.. we're dating about 6 weeks and have confirmed bf/gf status :D but im just wondering when is it an acceptable time to bring up closing down the accounts on the site? without sounding too forward or whatever..

good for you Liz. Another success. Would you recommend that site? I am based in a similar location as was wondering about joining that site.
    Be careful when bringing up the closing accounts thing.. I did that before.. was too early as far as he was concerned and I got dumped by text and blanked thereafter :( As you already have confirmed your status I expect it won't be the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I just set up an okc account after lurking on this thread for ages :)

I am slow to put up a picture. Does anyone else feel like that? Not that I'm a hag or anything. Just slightly uncomfortable with it?

I'm 32 and female and just a wee bit scared :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement