Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to disable Eircom Phonewatch alarm?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi, I have an Eircom Phonewatch wireless alarm. It is almost 5 years old. It looks like the one with a picture of it in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70995004

Unfortunately recently it has been going off, even when I have not switched the alarm on. It says sensors have been tampered with though they have not. I don't know if it is because the batteries in the sensors might be low (they have never been replaced). To be honest at this point I don't even care what is wrong, but would like to stop the false alarms. The only way I can think to do this is to disconnect the system alltogether, though if anyone has any other ideas that would be great to hear.

I am not paying for the monitored system anymore. I would rather not have to pay an engineer to come out to fix the problem (never mind that I am not sure how I would go about that if I don't currently have a service provider).

Does anyone know how a non-technically minded person like me could disconnet the system? (Please only answer if you definitely know how to do it as I am petrified of the thing deciding to go off all night if I tamper with it ).

At the moment I have the panel open and though it keeps beeping at me and telling me to pick an option it is at least not setting the alarm off every few minutes as it was earlier tonight. I don't know though if I keep the panel open if it will eventually set the alarm off.

I am not very technical I am afraid so I may not be able to do the job, but if it looks easy enough I might give it a go. I am reading through threads in the hopes that someone else might have had the same problem with an answer given to it.

Any answers much appreaciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not an expert, but in general, disconnect the mains power (Careful) and the battery (Careful) in the panel. All alarms have a battery in the panel in case the mains goes. If you take both out, the alarm is dead.

As I said, be careful, you dealing with mains power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    Hi, I have an Eircom Phonewatch wireless alarm. It is almost 5 years old. It looks like the one with a picture of it in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70995004

Unfortunately recently it has been going off, even when I have not switched the alarm on. It says sensors have been tampered with though they have not. I don't know if it is because the batteries in the sensors might be low (they have never been replaced). To be honest at this point I don't even care what is wrong, but would like to stop the false alarms. The only way I can think to do this is to disconnect the system alltogether, though if anyone has any other ideas that would be great to hear.

I am not paying for the monitored system anymore. I would rather not have to pay an engineer to come out to fix the problem (never mind that I am not sure how I would go about that if I don't currently have a service provider).

Does anyone know how a non-technically minded person like me could disconnet the system? (Please only answer if you definitely know how to do it as I am petrified of the thing deciding to go off all night if I tamper with it ).

At the moment I have the panel open and though it keeps beeping at me and telling me to pick an option it is at least not setting the alarm off every few minutes as it was earlier tonight. I don't know though if I keep the panel open if it will eventually set the alarm off.

I am not very technical I am afraid so I may not be able to do the job, but if it looks easy enough I might give it a go. I am reading through threads in the hopes that someone else might have had the same problem with an answer given to it.

Any answers much appreaciated.

It is a Simon system. if you close up the lid and press the status button can you tell me what it says ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭meercat

there may be insurance issues if you disconnect your alarm
    have you told them you have an alarm fitted
    if so,they may not pay out on a claim if you havnt got a working alarm system
    beware

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

altor wrote: »
    It is a Simon system. if you close up the lid and press the status button can you tell me what it says ?

Hi, thanks. It is only saying Sensor 1, front door sensor, but no information on what was supposedly wrong. Earlier when it went off and I checked the status button it did say at some point sensor tamper or something like that.

About a week ago there was another false alarm and it was another sensor which was setting it off, and it was also saying it was tampered with, though no one had tampered with it (I was there at the time).

meercat wrote: »
    there may be insurance issues if you disconnect your alarm
    have you told them you have an alarm fitted
    if so,they may not pay out on a claim if you havnt got a working alarm system
    beware

Thanks for that Meercat. I never told the insurance company I had an alarm (though I think I might double check this now) as I was afraid if I forgot to set the alarm when out of the house that it might invalidate the insurance if anyone broke in.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks. It is only saying Sensor 1, front door sensor, but no information on what was supposedly wrong. Earlier when it went off and I checked the status button it did say at some point sensor tamper or something like that.

About a week ago there was another false alarm and it was another sensor which was setting it off, and it was also saying it was tampered with, though no one had tampered with it (I was there at the time).

If the door is closed and it is saying front door open then it may be a battery issue your having. If the batteries are over 4 years old then replacing them is a good option. There is a spring inside the sensor that could of moved when the door closed and it is picking it up intermittently as the tamper on the device. If you drop the lid on the control panel then enter your user code, can you open and close the sensor lid to make sure the lid is closed correctly ? Then close up the lid on the control panel and tell me what is says.

altor wrote: »
    If the door is closed and it is saying front door open then it may be a battery issue your having. If the batteries are over 4 years old then replacing them is a good option. There is a spring inside the sensor that could of moved when the door closed and it is picking it up intermittently as the tamper on the device. If you drop the lid on the control panel then enter your user code, can you open and close the sensor lid to make sure the lid is closed correctly ? Then close up the lid on the control panel and tell me what is says.

Hi Altor, thanks for taking the time. How do I get the lid off the sensor on the door? (sorry if this is a stupid question. I cannot see any obvious way to take it off).

Hi Altor, thanks for taking the time. How do I get the lid off the sensor on the door? (sorry if this is a stupid question. I cannot see any obvious way to take it off).

There are two type sensors, one which is smaller than the window sensors need to be press in at the top and lifts towards you. The other which is the same size as the window sensors you need a screw driver to lift at the top and lever towards you.

Thanks Altor. I took the lid off the sensor and put it back on again. I closed up the control panel and pushed the system stautus button (which was red) and it just said: Time is 21:57 front door alarm (or maybe front door sensor - but no other info).

Thanks Altor. I took the lid off the sensor and put it back on again. I closed up the control panel and pushed the system stautus button (which was red) and it just said: Time is 21:57 front door alarm (or maybe front door sensor - but no other info).

Ok press disarm then that will clear the status for you. Then the status should say time is... thats it. I would do the same with the other sensor that if it gives the same issue again. I would also advise that you replace the sensor batteries if they are over 4 years old. If your system is not monitored anymore you can also set this up to ring one mobile through your land line.

Any other problem, more than happy to help :D

• Advertisement

Hi Altor, thanks a million :). I think I will try repacing the batteries before giving up on the system totally :D

Do you know which battery-type I should be getting?

And yes I would be interested in getting the system to ring my mobile when I was out, if it went off. Is there a post somewhere about how to do this? That would be very handy.

Sorry for all the questions. They are probably asked and answered a million times over on boards. I am slowly going through other threads on the subject, though sometimes I don't know whether the comments would apply to my system or not.

Hi Altor, thanks a million :). I think I will try repacing the batteries before giving up on the system totally :D

Do you know which battery-type I should be getting?

And yes I would be interested in getting the system to ring my mobile when I was out, if it went off. Is there a post somewhere about how to do this? That would be very handy.

Sorry for all the questions. They are probably asked and answered a million times over on boards. I am slowly going through other threads on the subject, though sometimes I don't know whether the comments would apply to my system or not.

I would not give up on the system either, I am sure you got it installed for a reason :D

The batteries for the windows and motions are CR 123A lithium.
    The batteries if the sensor are the smaller ones for the doors are LS 14250 3.6V other wise they are the same as the windows and motions.

I have sent you a P.M re the setting up of the alarm to your mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TallManSteve

Hi Altor, any chance you could help me & tell me how to disconnect an PhoneWatch Simon Alarm System from the telephone line - I'm getting 'Fail-To-Communicate' beeps a couple of times a day? I cancelled my monitoring contract with PhoneWatch & want to use it as a stand alone system but as the system is no longer connected to a telephone line, it irritatingly beeps all the time.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Altor, any chance you could help me & tell me how to disconnect an PhoneWatch Simon Alarm System from the telephone line - I'm getting 'Fail-To-Communicate' beeps a couple of times a day? I cancelled my monitoring contract with PhoneWatch & want to use it as a stand alone system but as the system is no longer connected to a telephone line, it irritatingly beeps all the time.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve, more than happy too. What system have you installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TallManSteve

Hi Altor, thanks for your help - I have the eircom PhoneWatch GE Simon Security System.

Hi Altor, thanks for your help - I have the eircom PhoneWatch GE Simon Security System.

Very easy to do. You need to delete option 04, 05 and 06.
    You need the engineer code to do this. I will send you a P.M re this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DayoneDublin

Hi Altor, I have a similar problem to TallManSteve. I have a PhoneWatch GE Simon Wireless Security System that is no longer monitored giving constant Fail-To-Communicate' beeps. Could you possibly also help me out with the code to disable this? Thanks for your time.

Hi Altor, I have a similar problem to TallManSteve. I have a PhoneWatch GE Simon Wireless Security System that is no longer monitored giving constant Fail-To-Communicate' beeps. Could you possibly also help me out with the code to disable this? Thanks for your time.

Have you tried testing the sensors on the system.
    Drop the front lid and enter your user code.
    Press test, then done.
    This puts the sensors in walk test for you.
    Go around testing each sensor. Any one that fails to test you may need to change the battery in the unit.

See how you get on and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 farrell2121

Great info

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chafinn

hi

im trying to change simon panel from epw to anothe monitoring company
    i have it sending in the alarm panic fire signals manual test but id doesnt seem to be sending the 24 hr test call changed option 16 to 001 and set the time on option 72 is their sometging else i need to check thanks

• Advertisement

chafinn wrote: »
    hi

im trying to change simon panel from epw to anothe monitoring company
    i have it sending in the alarm panic fire signals manual test but id doesnt seem to be sending the 24 hr test call changed option 16 to 001 and set the time on option 72 is their sometging else i need to check thanks

Should be as they are the options to change..

Did you default the system at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 triggerlittle

Hi Guy's, my Eircom Phonewatch control panel (which has not been monitored for approx two years) is giving the audio message {System Phone Comunication Failure}, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a code to disable the message or the beeps which are driving me nut's.
    It's a G.E system and was installed in 2005

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you still using the alarm?

I was using it as a stand alone alarm until monday when the problem began. I have a standard house alarm which was in the house when I bought it so I can use that in the meantime, all I'm trying to do is stop the shaggin thing beeping every few minutes !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I will PM you the manual. The simplest option is to remove the mains fuse and the battery.

thanks a million, It's been quite a while since I was on the site ! Great to see the brilliant service continues as always !

Your welcome. Glad I could help.

thanks a million, It's been quite a while since I was on the site ! Great to see the brilliant service continues as always !

If you had the system installed in the premises you more than likely have the engineer code. If you send me a P.M. I will help you get the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michaelfog

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone can help
    I have an eircom phone watch alarm( Ge System). I want to use it as a stand alone alarm and dissconnect the phone line
    as I have stopped the monitoring some time back. But i have just noticed if i get alerted of a fault such as low battery it is still reported and I'm charged for call to central office. only genuine help please

• Advertisement

michaelfog wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering if anyone can help
    I have an eircom phone watch alarm( Ge System). I want to use it as a stand alone alarm and dissconnect the phone line
    as I have stopped the monitoring some time back. But i have just noticed if i get alerted of a fault such as low battery it is still reported and I'm charged for call to central office. only genuine help please

The only way to stop this is to delete the phone numbers the system dials out on. I have sent you a P.M. re the code needed.

Drop front lid and enter engineer code.
    System says, please select from start menu.
    Press, delete, option 04 done.
    Press, delete, option 05 done.
    Press, delete, option 06 done.

Close up lid.

Advertisement