Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2013 Reg Number

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Ah feck I was hoping for 13 TN 13

Just go for 131 TN 131 instead (presuming there will be 131 cars sold in Tipp North next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ah feck I was hoping for 13 TN 13

Next year will be the last TN plate too. Or at least I presume so as TN and TS co. Councils are being merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Wonder would i get away with no tax?

Jasus Guard can't have that on my windscreen, its got a 13 in it! Sure even the regs don't have 13 in them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Threads like this make me despair at the sheer amount of morons that live in this country. If people refuse to take a 13 reg plate they should be taken out the back and painfully disposed of.

Should remove some of the dilution in the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

13-insert county-666 would do me just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Threads like this make me despair at the sheer amount of morons that live in this country. If people refuse to take a 13 reg plate they should be taken out the back and painfully disposed of.

Should remove some of the dilution in the gene pool.

"But it affects my resale value because of all the other morons! Bwah bwah!"

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

1) Plate 132D1234 still starts with 13!
    2) Should rather introduce personalized plates, which would both boost revenue and solve 13D problem without altering the standard sequencing.
    3) How come superstition can change rules so quickly, when more important issues are taking years to solve.

How about going right to 14D in Jan 2013? Now that would boost sales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

13-insert county-666 would do me just fine.

13 CN 666. No-one would go near you then :pac:

Also yesterday and this morning I saw a '08 and '09 car both starting with 120xxx. Looks weird too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

Tae laidir wrote: »
    This could be a serious issue for the Motor Trade.

Many people will postpone the purchase of a car to 2014, as it's generally a discretionary purchase. They won't admit it's superstition - but it is.

Others will be terrified that there will be fewer purchasers when they come to sell in a few years time.

Great Britain will also have this problem, from September this year. It will be interesting to watch what happens there. As usual, we'll probably wait to see how they get on.

Remember, there are some lovely dark metallic green cars out there that don't sell!

So THAT'S why I got my green car so cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

New car sales for October up 10% on 2011.

Maybe there is some truth in this '13' fear?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 panjero

10% up on October last year. Great news alright.

Was the scrappage scheme in place last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

renofan wrote: »
    13 CN 666.

One of the Quinnstones probably has that on pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I saw a garage place the other day: 126-xx-12
    So if there's a 126, there's surely a 131 somewhere 131-xx-12

So will trade plates have to change to a new format next year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

panjero wrote: »
    10% up on October last year. Great news alright.

Was the scrappage scheme in place last year?

That SIMI or CSO figures?

I assume October was better than October 2011?

Not Jan-Oct better than Jan-Oct 2011?

Scrappage scheme's last month was June 2011.

noodler wrote: »
    That SIMI or CSO figures?

I assume October was better than October 2011?

Not Jan-Oct better than Jan-Oct 2011?

Scrappage scheme's last month was June 2011.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/car-sales-rise-as-most-drivers-opt-for-diesel-over-petrol-3286467.html

What's interesting about that is that Toyota do not appear in the top four either which I thought was unusual. I know it's only one month of the year but still...........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/car-sales-rise-as-most-drivers-opt-for-diesel-over-petrol-3286467.html

What's interesting about that is that Toyota do not appear in the top four either which I thought was unusual. I know it's only one month of the year but still...........

Okay so it is just October being better than October.

The annual (Jan-Oct) figures for new private cars are down 13%.

EDIT: http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/transport/VEHLICM2012M10/VL2012M10_release.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

VW is now number one for all of this year, although only by about 100 cars.

First time I recall VW being ahead of both Ford and Toyota? It's usually Ford and Toyota that toss it up for first and second (and Toyota usually wins that battle).

noodler wrote: »
    Okay so it is just October being better than October.

The annual (Jan-Oct) figures for new private cars are down 13%.

EDIT: http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/transport/VEHLICM2012M10/VL2012M10_release.html

Correct
    VW is now number one for all of this year, although only by about 100 cars.

First time I recall VW being ahead of both Ford and Toyota? It's usually Ford and Toyota that toss it up for first and second (and Toyota usually wins that battle).

Exactly my point. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 panjero

I'd say there are alot of dealers looking into crystal balls at the moment.
    Here hoping for a lucky 13.
    Budget day will have a big impact on us all regardless of a 1 being placed after a 3 on a numberplate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

It BeeMee wrote: »
    I saw a garage place the other day: 126-xx-12
    So if there's a 126, there's surely a 131 somewhere 131-xx-12

So will trade plates have to change to a new format next year too?

This has crossed my mind too.

Perhaps 2013 Garage/Trade Plates will also include the new format, e.g. '101-WX-131'?

Alternatively, Trade Plates (which currently start at '101') may now start at '201' to avoid any possible conflict with '131/132 plates? e.g. '201-WX-13'

(Incidentially, if anybody has an old expired trade plate..I'm looking for one to hang on my garage wall).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Just bumping this thread rather than start a new one, having read Conor Faughnan on the subject recently.

He has a syndicated column that goes out to local newspapers, and this excerpt is from the Mullingar Advertiser:
    You may recall that a few months ago we were talking about possible changes to the Irish registration plate system. Those rumours look a bit more solid now and if the signals that the AA are getting are accurate next year’s registration plates will see the first change in format since 1987.

Motorists were not at all keen on this idea when it first came out. We asked people about it as part of our AA Motorists’ Panel poll and the results were strongly in favour of sticking with the existing system.

In fact the change will not be all that radical; one digit will be added immediately after the year. From next January the registration year will have two halves. January to June cars will have numbers that begin ‘131’, then it is ‘132’ for the second part of the year.

Giving the trade a second January every year will help them by spreading out the demand across the calendar. It will also spread out the depreciation on cars so that they do not drop so thumpingly in value every time Auld Lang Syne rings out. Arguably, as motoring consumers this is no loss to us.

A rather absurd reason that this is happening now is that trade was concerned that people might have been put off buying a ‘13’ reg car for superstitious reasons. That always seemed daft to me; I’m a natural sceptic with a strong distaste for mumbo-jumbo.

I was wrong as it turns out. 8.3 per cent of AA Members said they would be put off by a 13 reg when we asked them in a large poll sample of over 15,000 back in the springtime. Mind you they were admirably rational on their reasons – it was all to do with resale value rather than an actual belief in bad luck.

Link: http://www.advertiser.ie/mullingar/article/56880/car-industry-hopes-changed-plate-will-change-their-luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Dealers have already begun to display mocked-up 131 plates.

1224327201345_1.jpg?ts=1354097981

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I was wrong as it turns out. 8.3 per cent of AA Members said they would be put off by a 13 reg when we asked them in a large poll sample of over 15,000 back in the springtime. Mind you they were admirably rational on their reasons – it was all to do with resale value rather than an actual belief in bad luck.
    Ha! So nobody is superstitious about it, but people are worried about the resale value because they believe people are superstitious about it. Sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

People put off by a number, Oh dear god :rolleyes: some people really have problems.

tumblr_mclik53MAy1rjj9tso1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    People put off by a number, Oh dear god :rolleyes: some people really have problems.
    You shouldn't be so surprised. Many won't buy anything other than a D reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This proposed change is bollix.

In Britain where letters are used this kind of thing may have a role, but here where numbers are used anyone with any interest in the subject can easily see if the car has been registered at the beginning of the year or the end.

A complete waste of time, especially as data entry screens etc will not have to be amended to cater for this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It seems mad to add another character to reg numbers.
    Ireland is a small country, and even though some of our numberplates consist of 9 characters.
    Now it might come to 10 in the worst case.

How are people meant to memorise the number in case someone is running away??

UK has got 7 character plates, and they've got 20 or 30 times more vehicles registered than we.

Why don't they use extra character to change every month - it would make more sence.

f.e.
    13A - January
    13B - February
    13C - March
    13M - December

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

CiniO wrote: »
    It seems mad to add another character to reg numbers.
    Ireland is a small country, and even though some of our numberplates consist of 9 characters.
    Now it might come to 10 in the worst case.

How are people meant to memorise the number in case someone is running away??

UK has got 7 character plates, and they've got 20 or 30 times more vehicles registered than we.

Why don't they use extra character to change every month - it would make more sence.

f.e.
    13A - January
    13B - February
    13C - March
    13M - December

That mighnt be a bad idea. It would certainly make registrations much smaller and easily remembered. At a guess I'd say if such a system was in place even Dublin would not surpass 7 digits in any given month...if even that.... i.e. would '13A-D-9999' be reached in January 2013?

However, it would not get rid of the "dreaded 13" :D

Interestingly, Fiat Ireland have suggested getting rid of the 'year' in registrations entirely! They are the only people in the motor trade (or indeed anywhere officially) who I have heard suggesting such a move?!

This would effectively revert to the pre-1987 system, maybe based as follows: Co, Wicklow = 'WW-1, WW-2, WW-3'....etc etc etc.. being issued - perhaps giving drivers their own specific registration for life ...as is the case in Switzerland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Silvera wrote: »
    That mighnt be a bad idea. It would certainly make registrations much smaller and easily remembered. At a guess I'd say if such a system was in place even Dublin would not surpass 7 digits in any given month...if even that.... i.e. would '13A-D-9999' be reached in January 2013?

However, it would not get rid of the "dreaded 13" :D

Interestingly, Fiat Ireland have suggested getting rid of the 'year' in registrations entirely! They are the only people in the motor trade (or indeed anywhere officially) who I have heard suggesting such a move?!

This would effectively revert to the pre-1987 system, maybe based as follows: Co, Wicklow = 'WW-1, WW-2, WW-3'....etc etc etc.. being issued - perhaps giving drivers their own specific registration for life ...as is the case in Switzerland!

I said on this forum many times before that IMHO the best system for Ireland would be ABC123
    Three letters, three numbers
    That gives 17 million combinations which is more that Ireland will ever need.
    It's only 6 character long number so it's easy to read (and that's the main purpose of numberplates).

Indicating year of first registration on numberplate is just dumb IMO.
    Having a county indicated, where it doesn't change with the owner doesn't make much sense either, as most cars change it's first owner after 3 maybe 4 years, and very often next owner is from different county.
    I live in Mayo, but I assume MO regs are not the majority here...

So simple ABC123 system would be ideal.

Advertisement