Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2013 Reg Number

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

And lo, it came to pass...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/number-plates-will-be-changed-to-avoid-unlucky-13-3208978.html
    THE Government is to bring in a new licence-plate system next year amid fears that a '13' registration number would hit car sales.

Cars registered between January and the end of June will have a '131' registration. Those from July 1 to the end of the year will have '132' on the plate.

The decision is based partly on fears that superstition about a '13' reg would affect sales and partly in response to the motor industry's plea to spread sales more evenly across the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Omfg and that is happening in 21st century?!
    What's next? Witch burning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The splitting the registrations in to 2 for the year should be a good thing.

It's not going to increase the number of cars sold in a year, but should (hopefully) spread the sales out a bit better. With less seasonal fluctuations it will help with dealer staffing levels and cash flow.

Just waiting for them to announce the new VRT and Tax rates now so we can see how it will effect resale values in the year to come (yeah - mountain of work ahead!).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jaysus this will really mess things up with 2013 imports, they will have 10 digit and in double letter counties 11 digit plates that won't fit on a standard plate, only in Ireland, still corrupt to the core. Why didn't they just give a free Padre Pio sticker with every car to protect against bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

just give a free Padre Pio sticker with every car to protect against bad luck.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Jaysus this will really mess things up with 2013 imports, they will have 10 digit and in double letter counties 11 digit plates that won't fit on a standard plate, only in Ireland, still corrupt to the core. Why didn't they just give a free Padre Pio sticker with every car to protect against bad luck.

How is it corrupt? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bjak

Just who is making the decisions on car registrations in Ireland?

First the 5 digit ZV fiasco for imported vintage cars with many stories of imported cars being cloned to pre 1987 original issue Irish numbers. The biggest problem is that they are not properly insured in the event of an accident.

Then the special scheme brought in in 2011 to identify used cars imported outside the year of original registration that skips many thousands of numbers so that you have a registration like 85 D 120987.

Now the new 131 and 132 scheme for the superstitious. You wont have to wait long for the foreign media articles ridiculing us.

Who is going to remember 132 D 27562 or 131 C 11734 if you see a vehicle drive away after a collision or other incident?

Is it a special scheme for 2013 or does the extra 1 & 2 apply for all future years?

What happens in future when SIMI complain of a sales glut in January and July, introduce monthly codes to smooth out sales?

Lunatics running the asylum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Expect ZERO sales in June! Peopl will just wait until the 132 bit comes out.

Actually, just thinking, are they going to restart the reg series for the 132 series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a Victor Meldrew moment!

I am waiting now for them to blame black cats crossing their offices for the ressesion and property bubble.

Those damn cats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Fecks sake! What a joke. I love walking under ladders when there are aul ones around to see their reaction. How the feck can walking under a ladder, or driving a 13 reg car be detrimental to ones health/wealth or whatever its meant to affect. Absolute joke imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ladders to be banned also in 2013, just so people cannot walk under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This is literally the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Complete and utter load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And these clowns are running the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

****ing hell. One of the few things we do simply and properly and they **** with it. If I was the type to post pictures, this would get a Jesus wept one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Read the story.
    A government spokesman confirmed that the Department of Finance was actively considering the proposed change as part of a consultation process with the motor industry.
    Sounds like this is just dumb crap from SIMI that they're pretending to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bjak wrote: »
    Who is going to remember 132 D 27562 or 131 C 11734 if you see a vehicle drive away after a collision or other incident?

What? WHo's going to remeber AH56 436 over in the Uk?

I like the idea of a split year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Very similar to the UK system, they break their plate years into two also.

Makes sense to me and it really is just coincidence that its happening in the 13 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This will of course cost about €200m to update the computer systems of the various government departments, which are programmed to accept the two-digit years.

It would be cheaper to ask everyone in the country if they would be worried about a 13D plate, and then just ban anyone who says "yes" from driving because they're too fncking stupid to own a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Theta wrote: »
    Very similar to the UK system, they break their plate years into two also.

in A TOTALLY INCOMPREHENSIBLW WAY...OUR SYSTEM WAS MUCH SUPERIOR, BUT NO DOUBT COULD NOT HANDLE the volume of registrations. (sorry bout the caps...need more Valium...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

seamus wrote: »
    This will of course cost about €200m to update the computer systems of the various government departments, which are programmed to accept the two-digit years.

It would be cheaper to ask everyone in the country if they would be worried about a 13D plate, and then just ban anyone who says "yes" from driving because they're too fncking stupid to own a car.

If they are clever it will just be a display system on the plates and the computer system will still only contain 13 - D as the 1 or 2 is only for consumer display purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

seamus wrote: »
    ......and then just ban anyone who says "yes" from driving because they're too fncking stupid to own a car.

That is brilliant. Made me :D

renofan wrote: »
    That is brilliant. Made me :D

I think that whole post shoul be made a special sticky, damn, I would even print that out and put it as a painting at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

I can't believe this. Out of all the things that need to be addressed in this country, I didn't think catering for superstitious drivers was one :rolleyes:

No doubt this will cost the taxpayer hundreds of millions of Euros due to updated computer systems, toll barriers, Garda speed cameras etc etc

But as long as car dealers are kept sweet sure it's ok. Ridiculous in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Are green cars being outlawed too?
    Unlucky bastids that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bjak

What? WHo's going to remeber AH56 436 over in the Uk?

I like the idea of a split year.

Well they might recognise that AH56 436 would not be a valid UK number - theirs would be more like AH 56 XYZ (sorry :) )

I'm not convinced of the benefits of having the year on the registration plate, let alone a split year. Unless I am selling my car, who's business except mine how old it is anyway ?

Current system causes many perfectly good cars to be retired while they are still usable and safe. It only seems to benefit the motor sales retailers, what benefit is it to the ordinary motorist?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Theta wrote: »
    If they are clever it will just be a display system on the plates and the computer system will still only contain 13 - D as the 1 or 2 is only for consumer display purposes.

Depends if the digits at the end revert back to 1 from June again i.e.

132-D-1
    132-D-2 etc..

or whether they just continue on.

We have a registration system, just leave it fcuking be while it's working. If it needs to be reworked, at least do it for a better reason than 'unlucky 13'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What is the benefit of split year reg plates like they have in the UK? What purpose does it serve and who does it benefit most?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

R.O.R wrote: »
    Just waiting for them to announce the new VRT and Tax rates now so we can see how it will effect resale values in the year to come (yeah - mountain of work ahead!).

Don't know if this is to be believed but seems more tinkering around the edges rather than a proper fix.
    http://www.autotrade.ie/index.php/big-vrt-rise-and-new-number-plate-system-on-the-way/1498

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

All I can say is christ all fvcking mighty.

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

Advertisement