Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Official Server

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Just got access to the server yesterday. Is it just a waste of time now building anything as the map will be changed very soon?

How do you know the map will be changed soon :P

I'd say you have some time to build, as was mentioned before, we're waiting till 1.3 comes out, then have to wait for all the plugins to be updated and then the admins will give notice of about a week.

The old map will be available for download so its not a total loss if you start building now. Though i've kinda given up on the building thing, haven't started a new project in ages :)

Welcome to the server anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Just got access to the server yesterday. Is it just a waste of time now building anything as the map will be changed very soon?

We are waiting for 1.3 to come out. There is no official date as in when it makes it's appearance, however going by previous updates we have a period of a week or two to wait after the update for our plug-ins to catch up.
    My estimates would be 3 weeks to a month from now. Plenty of time to set up a shack and go for a bit of mining.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    My estimates would be 3 weeks to a month from now. Plenty of time to set up a shack and go for a bit of mining.
    I'd say even longer, especially if we're going to be implementing a faction-based map with all these extra things.

I'd say even longer, especially if we're going to be implementing a faction-based map with all these extra things.

If you need any beta testers i'm here :p

Kenno90 wrote: »
    If you need any beta testers i'm here :p

That's what me and xenon are for :P

• Advertisement

That's what me and xenon are for :P

Quite you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Sure all you have to do is have a base on the starting island with an ender chest, put all your stuff in that on the faction island, go back to the starting island and take everything and put it in chests. Not that hard really.

Mak_United wrote: »
    Sure all you have to do is have a base on the starting island with an ender chest, put all your stuff in that on the faction island, go back to the starting island and take everything and put it in chests. Not that hard really.

Was thinking similar , just have a storage room in the starting island :P

Indeed, your stuff will be safe as long as you stay in packs while mining etc, no one is going to attack a group of 3 or 4 people. Unless they have 6 or more, and I can't see that being the case.

We can make "use of an enderchest on the main island/faction islands" a banable offence. We need to logically go over our plans for this next map and make sure we have the ins and outs covered.

• Advertisement

But sure why would you make it a banable offence? The reason we're changing maps is because of the updates and the ender chest is one of those updates which make it worth while.

Have to agree with maka , what's the point of getting an ender chest if were not allowed use them , besides we need ender eyes every time we break them so it won't be over powered ....

It's good that were all talking about the features , what to do , what not to do.. Should be an interesting if not different map

But sure why would you make it a banable offence? The reason we're changing maps is because of the updates and the ender chest is one of those updates which make it worth while.

But it completely nullifies the idea of having factions. What's the point in having factions if you can just store all your hard to get items in your safe house at spawn? You completely loose the idea of "piracy"/raids and loots.

If we go down your line then I would be in favour of only allowing users to pick between playing factions or building. Thus not giving faction players the use of lockette.

But it completely nullifies the idea of having factions. What's the point in having factions if you can just store all your hard to get items in your safe house at spawn? You completely loose the idea of "piracy"/raids and loots.

If we go down your line then I would be in favour of only allowing users to pick between playing factions or building. Thus not giving faction players the use of lockette.

That wouldn't work , you'd get people wanting to switch between the two. Do you really think ender chests are such a bad idea , it's basically a chest no one can touch , maybe having that one thing that's protected isn't a bad idea while everything else is fair game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I wish we could do a boards.ie let's play series with perspectives from different factions. Each episode could be done by a different member and each faction could release an episode in the same time frame.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    That wouldn't work , you'd get people wanting to switch between the two. Do you really think ender chests are such a bad idea , it's basically a chest no one can touch , maybe having that one thing that's protected isn't a bad idea while everything else is fair game

But see the problem is that the most valuable items will be put in the enderchest, literally taken from the game, making the idea of pvp worthless. Why would I go after you or for arguments sake your faction capital if I know that your iron, gold and diamonds are not up for grabs because they are safe and out of play?

If you think about it there are very few "important items" and these items can easily fit into the spaces available in your ender chest. Like I could always walk around with an enderchest in my hot bar knowing that if I'm on the run from someone I can plant it down, place the most valuable items in it and be killed, knowing that my items are safe and that my killer will only get a loot of a bit of cobble, some worn tools and possibly if he's lucky, a bit of coal. You leave behind your enderchest which cannot be accessed by your assassin because he would open it up and find his own stash.

I just really don't like the idea of an enderchest for a faction based server. It makes it way to easy to store loot (well the way we are doing it). Our main problem is trying to make the game fair while also allowing those who do not wish to play factions have their stuff protected (using lockette)

LAZYBOY247887 banned for 1 day for breaking and entering.

I'll say it again. If the door is locked then stay away from it. Don't break blocks just to have a sneak peak!

Why are we changing maps then? Because of temples and pyramids? Cause there pointless in a SMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

I've just hear about this factions idea. It does sound great and adds something different as opposed to the generic building a house, gather resources, get bored, wait for reset. Besides, if no one likes it and it doesn't work out, its not a massive waste.

Btw, Spartan Faction!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Will there be a neutral faction? Seems kind of unfair to suddenly switch from being a non pvp server to a pvp server and not offer an option for those who don't wish to pvp, But still want to play on the server:P

deconduo wrote: »
    What I was thinking of was to drop chest protection outside of the spawn island altogether, but have build protection instead. That way, apart from the person who owns the land, people can't place or destroy blocks and can only toggle switches, open doors etc. So it allows for people to protect their stuff with elaborate traps or hidden rooms, but still leaves it open to being looted during raids.

What is to stop someone from putting a 3 block wide lava river around their territory, Thus removing any threat of attack? Or even simpler would be a 2 block high wall... On the other hand allowing other factions to destroy other peoples creations doesn't seem fair either.

If the factions lands are a decent size then mining would be almost no risk as other players wouldn't be able mine anything inside your factions land, Meaning they would be unable to get into your strip mine....

I predict the following:

1. Everyone will kill everyone before joining/creating factions.
    2. The land will be divided by 2 block high walls, removing any threat of raids, Mining, building and storing diamonds in plain sight is now possible.
    3. No one will venture outside of their 2 block high wall as all they can do is stare at every other factions 2 block high wall that no amount of tnt can dent.
    4. After a few weeks everyone will have stopped playing due to factions becoming isolated colonies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

If you were to have build protection on, but disable it for 1 hour every day around peak time. That would stop people coming on in the middle of the night and looting, and everyone would have the chance to defend their items, or risk going on the offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

4. After a few weeks everyone will have stopped playing due to factions becoming isolated colonies.
    Not while there's stuff to be stolen! Loans to be handed out! People to be assasinated!..

If you were to have build protection on, but disable it for 1 hour every day around peak time. That would stop people coming on in the middle of the night and looting, and everyone would have the chance to defend their items, or risk going on the offensive.

Thats what i don't like, i'd be happy to defend my stuff, if they kill me and take it all then good for them.

If they log on in the middle of the night then steal my stuff, i wont be happy

Why are we changing maps then? Because of temples and pyramids? Cause there pointless in a SMP.

Because this map has somewhat gone stale. As a community you can see that the majority of people here want something different. As a server we have had 4 building maps and thus instead of just resetting and having another building map we want to try something new, factions. 1.3 just seems like a logical point to make the switch. There is nothing really dictating the switch other than to refresh the interest of the community.
    Will there be a neutral faction? Seems kind of unfair to suddenly switch from being a non pvp server to a pvp server and not offer an option for those who don't wish to pvp, But still want to play on the servertongue.gif

We have to look into that. From what I have heard we are looking at having the starting island as a building zone (check map posted a few days ago). That way we can try and cater for both sides.

Listen, we want to try something new. I think a lot of people have "stopped playing" becuase we continue to do the same things after reset. This will be a big change that I think people will enjoy. If by two weeks it hasn't worked out then we can simply start a new survival world instead.
    I was talking to the two lads who run the TNT factions server who say its great fun. We should at least try it and if it doesn't work then so be it... we can change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I was talking to the two lads who run the TNT factions server who say its great fun. We should at least try it and if it doesn't work then so be it... we can change it.

Exactly. Nothing ventured nothing gained

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Will there be a neutral faction? Seems kind of unfair to suddenly switch from being a non pvp server to a pvp server and not offer an option for those who don't wish to pvp, But still want to play on the server:P

What is to stop someone from putting a 3 block wide lava river around their territory, Thus removing any threat of attack? Or even simpler would be a 2 block high wall... On the other hand allowing other factions to destroy other peoples creations doesn't seem fair either.

If the factions lands are a decent size then mining would be almost no risk as other players wouldn't be able mine anything inside your factions land, Meaning they would be unable to get into your strip mine....

I predict the following:

1. Everyone will kill everyone before joining/creating factions.
    2. The land will be divided by 2 block high walls, removing any threat of raids, Mining, building and storing diamonds in plain sight is now possible.
    3. No one will venture outside of their 2 block high wall as all they can do is stare at every other factions 2 block high wall that no amount of tnt can dent.

-Resources on faction lands will be limited, only the mainland will have normal quantities. You'll have to go out to get any sort of resources.

-Block protection will be for individual plots, not factionwide. If there is a wall around an entire town, either no one can get over it or everyone can.

-Block protection will stop at somewhere between y=48 and y=20, so mines will be accessible.

-There will be mechanics to encourage raiding. Ladders to get over walls, maybe some limited ways to get around block protection temporarily. I like the idea of a raiding hour each day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Trying new things for the server isn't bad per-se, but forcing everyone participate in them is. A neutral faction sounds like the right move.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Botulism wrote: »
    Trying new things for the server isn't bad per-se, but forcing everyone participate in them is. A neutral faction sounds like the right move.

Yes of course. There won't be a neutral faction but you don't have to join a faction if you don't want to. The spawn island will be fairly large as well, and will function like the current map we have now. It will be for new players and people who prefer to build rather than PvP.

SodIRE banned for 1 day for breaking and entering (same two pieces of glass as LAZYBOY)

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    Yes of course. There won't be a neutral faction but you don't have to join a faction if you don't want to. The spawn island will be fairly large as well, and will function like the current map we have now. It will be for new players and people who prefer to build rather than PvP.

Is this map going to be the same size as the current map, bigger/smaller ??.

I'm really liking the idea that all the resources will be on the main island. Even for people who don't want pvp, makes it risky to venture out :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement