Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age do you stop going home for christmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

moco wrote: »
    Yea of course, I'm just saying it means a massive crowd for dinner in what will probably be a small flat/house

When you get married and have your own home you and your husband might want to have dinner there and visit parents later in the day.
    It's not such a big deal tbh, personally the more the merrier for me.
    I am not going to be in my own house this year which will be a bit weird but it will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

hondasam wrote: »
    When you get married and have your own home you and your husband might want to have dinner there and visit parents later in the day.
    It's not such a big deal tbh, personally the more the merrier for me.
    I am not going to be in my own house this year which will be a bit weird but it will be different.

We live in London, parents live 5 hours apart in different areas of Ireland so it's not really possible to spend a few hours in one house, a few in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fcukin wife wants to go to her mothers on Xmas morning...why??
    I'm nearly fcukin 40 with 3 small kids...what in the name of Jesus do I want to start packing bags, toys, kids etc and then drive an hour to look at my in laws and all for a free meal.
    Jesus Christ I won't even have control of the tele remote...the singular most important part of Xmas day.
    Seriously good row brewing here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Are people actually sayign when they are married with kids they will still depart from their own families and go to their mammies? WTF??? Couldn't you host christmas and invite your parents over?

Katgurl wrote: »
    Are people actually sayign when they are married with kids they will still depart from their own families and go to their mammies? WTF??? Couldn't you host christmas and invite your parents over?

Yea, I think that's what we'll be doing.

• Advertisement

We live in London, parents live 5 hours apart in different areas of Ireland so it's not really possible to spend a few hours in one house, a few in the other.

In that case you should be with your family and your BF with his, ye are together all year, ye will both have time to catch up with brothers and sisters etc. assume ye are only home for a week.
    Come home and enjoy your break and stop worrying about Christmas dinner.:)

mfceiling wrote: »
    Fcukin wife wants to go to her mothers on Xmas morning...why??
    I'm nearly fcukin 40 with 3 small kids...what in the name of Jesus do I want to start packing bags, toys, kids etc and then drive an hour to look at my in laws and all for a free meal.
    Jesus Christ I won't even have control of the tele remote...the singular most important part of Xmas day.
    Seriously good row brewing here...

Put your foot down and tell her NO, come back and tell us how you got on:p

hondasam wrote: »
    In that case you should be with your family and your BF with his, ye are together all year, ye will both have time to catch up with brothers and sisters etc. assume ye are only home for a week.
    Come home and enjoy your break and stop worrying about Christmas dinner.:)

:confused::confused::confused:

That's what I said we're doing! We always go to our own families for Christmas. I'm only forseeing this changing when we have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Yea, I think that's what we'll be doing.

What will you be doing? Going to your mammy's or inviting them over?

What woman would respect her husband that left to go home to his mammy? Unless of course she WANTED to spend her life married to a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Always home for Christmas except the odd year I might not! :/

• Advertisement

What woman would respect her husband that left to go home to his mammy? Unless of course she WANTED to spend her life married to a teenager.

This only happens if mammy is a better cook.

What will you be doing? Going to your mammy's or inviting them over?

We're happy going to separate parents houses now, but when babbies come along I think I'll invite both families to our house.

I do the cooking in my mum's house anyway, so It'll just be same dinner, different house. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Last year I went home for Christmas and my parents weren't there. Feckin great Christmas- went over to my grandparents for dinner and watched about 12 films in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Just to add to this.
    I will never live in herselfs hometown and I will never go there for christmas.
    This thread explains it.:pac: Im an antisocial bastard.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75080524

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

All depends, everyone's circumstances are different.

It wouldn't be weird to separate on Christmas Day in the early stages of a relationship, when you don't really know one another all that well/don't live together.

I'm posting this in the context of an entire day/overnight/few days visit. Steven's Day however is different.

Married with kids and still separate - no way (even if you don't really get on you GET ON for the kids' sake).
    That'd be effectively be dumping the other, not ok unless a family member is seriously ill/incapable/elderly and otherwise entirely alone, just for the sake of visiting THEIR parent.
    Why should a parent/grandparent in perfect health be more important than their grandchild or the relationship they're knowingly separating?
    If a person doesn't get on with their OH's mother in law and so won't be there then I think it's very selfish to deprive a child one parent or partner their OH for the whole day.
    Don't forget how sneaky some people are - I know MY OH's mother only loves to see us apart Christmas Day.
    And sneakiness only gets worse with age.

My mother never cared about our Christmas as children, we were all made to leave our own home, toys and tv and go visit her mother (who had and still has my grandfather in her life and five other children, only two of whom drop by for an hour on the day).
    The fights my parents had on the morning about it were blazing, him not going under any circumstances...but always did in the end, to be with us.
    Not one Christmas did we spend it alone, as a family in our own house.
    I don't know why to this day but my mother never even got on all that well with her mother (and only visited 2/3 times a year anyway although we only lived 5 minutes walk away)
    and made me and my brother and sister feel bad about not visiting 'nanna', if we said we weren't going (even now in our 30's).
    A few times I didn't go and I got calls to come up by my sis/bro.
    It's f*****g awful to be honest - if I want to see MY parents Christmas Day I have to see my mother's parents too :mad:
    And don't even start me on the charade that is 'licking up to mam' (on my mother's part).
    We (including my dad) get told to "ssshhh! Nanna's programme is on!" and "I'm talking to my mother stay out here!" and "make your nanna a cup of tea!"
    My poor dad used to see his mam for a couple of hours then diligently retreat back to 'nana's' for the rest of it, the only hope of seeing his wife and kids at all...and still to this day he goes down there, abandoned in another room by himself (cos 'nanna's' main room is where SHE wants to be and is too small to hold more than 5 people)...
    IT IS UTTER FIST-BITING MISERY.

Also I don't see why a family with young kids should have to leave their own place. It's like some 'high-up' bull***t that everyones else should leave their comfort to bow down to some stubborn cow and show 'respect'.
    The amount of times I got roared at for asking why can't 'nanna' call to us...

I'm in a long term relationship and live with my OH.
    He always aways goes to his mothers, whereas his sister can do what she likes (usually hosts a Christmas coke & "wiiiiiiiiiiiiine" party with all her s***head friends). But the guilt he feels is epic. She's only late 50's and in perfect health (damn!) AND has her husband.
    I never know what's going to happen - if I cook I know he'll end up eating HER dinner too, so as not to upset her on the one day of the year she actually cooks (and he then does be well out of action for later on) and if I don't give him DINNER NO:1 :eek: then I basically end up eating Christmas dinner alone...
    And the absolute worst part of all is the struggle to get him to come back - it's impossible to get away from her on an average day as it is
    "awww, where you going son?" (with croc tear in eye) and
    "will you get me some milk in the shop son?" (come back with it and don't even think of leaving again although I have my OWN car and am perfectly capable of driving it) *I'm sure sneaky b!tch hides milk in washing machine*

It's sad but most certainly true that no matter HOW long you've been in a relationship, if you don't have any children you will never be regarded as an adult couple by your OH's parents, or even your own.
    You don't HAVE any rights to stay alone together and probably even worse when there ARE kids
    "I want to see my gran-chiiiiiiiiild, it's Chrissssmisssss!"
    *says stereotype nanna-hag who just wants all her own way*
    And as a couple with no kids even your OH doesn't regard you very highly on THE DAY either...
    EMIGRATION: Possibly the only answer.

The important things are where to eat and how long is the visit for.
    I'm thinking about my own experiences on Christmas Day and in my case we had to eat at 'nanna's' and had to stay 1pm-11pm :mad:
    For a couple of hours to separate might be ok but it should never be a whole day thing, for the sake of satisfying a manipulative parent.
    The one day of the year that causes flash backs and cold sweats, tension between couples and blazing rows on the morning. All the 'never agains' and 'f**k that lot'. What for? Upset your kids, upset your partner, upset yourself, for WHAT?

F**k it - now I've got all this off my chest I'm definitely not going anywhere this year. I might not even get dressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

FearDark wrote: »
    I don't go "home" for Christmas either, my parents don't celebrate it. Meh.

Jealous of you. You should be very grateful. And you should definitely celebrate Thanksgiving for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Never! Even when I have kids! My mam does all the hard work cooking and what not while I stroll in and relax. Why the hell would I want to do otherwise!?

My own mam dragged us all to our grans for xmas until she was well into her 80s. My husband goes to my parents house for xmas with me as his mam has started going to his brothers for xmas and it's just less chaos for him.

So I'll be well into my 60s before I ever have to cook a turkey - yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

well i'm relishing cooking christmas dinner whenever i eventually have my own home. currently we're renting and are together 4.5 years but will separate for Christmas as per always. In fact I'm looking forward to being at home with my parents without my boyfriend...not many times in a year does that happen.
    However when I'm married I will (hopefully) have kids pretty soon afterwards so maybe one Christmas will go by where we're married without kids and I would hope I will have a house by then and can have everyone over.

I feel sorry for previous posters who have horrible memories of Christmas. Makes me thankful that my parents moved really far away from all our family so we have to spend 27th or 28th visiting people instead of actual Christmas day. Our Christmas day was always quiet with nice food and good tv. Obviously there were some horrific rows as there is often on the special day but on the whole...

as for people being forced to go to various places on christmas day...there needs to be some sort of compromise there. there's nothing worse than being made to do stuff. hope it works out...

Advertisement