Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age do you stop going home for christmas

Options
  • 08-12-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

I always reckoned it was any age as soon as you have your own kids. I dont have kids but herselfs parents live in a completely different country to mine so **** knows what we would do. Last year she went home and I spent christmas alone rather than go back to Ireland.
    Would it be weird if you were married with kids and still went your seperate ways for christmas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Home? Damn...that's another kick in the face to those of us that are adopted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

TheZohan wrote: »
    Home? Damn...that's another kick in the face to those of us that are adopted. :(

So you're not a red-head then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Adopted?! Chance would be a fine thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

So you're not a red-head then?

A red-head? WTF? I have a soul thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I don't know, but we have to do the rounds every Christmas day to see the Grandparents, whatever one of the aunties they got invited to, so it's probably going to be never for my parents:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Way to needlessly drag a thread down... :rolleyes:

I don't go "home" for Christmas either, my parents don't celebrate it. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

eleventy...wtf like :confused: whenever you/they want dont want

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Yea I think it would be strange! We were just discussing this in work the other day. I don't ever want to be away from home at Christmas, it's just not the same in somebody else's house.

I'm engaged and we both go to our own parents house for Christmas, then he drives up to mine (5 hours away) the day after st Stephens day, stays a day or two then we both go to his town for NYE. We'll probably still do this when we're married (maybe) for the first year, but once we have children we're going to have to go to one parents or the other, and swap round each year.

I might otherwise ask both sets of parents to our house (if we ever get one) but then there's the problem of having to also ask non-married siblings too. Complicated! :)

• Advertisement

somefeen wrote: »
    Would it be weird if you were married with kids and still went your seperate ways for christmas?

very.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

The ice age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Christmas is just one day and it's nice if families are together but it's not the end of the world if people decide to do their own thing.
    I know married people who each go home to their parents houses for Christmas.

moco wrote: »
    but then there's the problem of having to also ask non-married siblings too. Complicated! :)

what? its your family, you dont have to be a part of a couple for christmas with your family of all things :rolleyes:

Saila wrote: »
    what? its your family, you dont have to be a part of a couple for christmas with your family of all things :rolleyes:

What? If you read what I said, you'll see I don't spend Christmas with my fiancé. I'm saying when we have kids it'll be complicated going to one house or the other when both sets of parents want us at home. What's your problem with that?

Yea I think it would be strange! We were just discussing this in work the other day. I don't ever want to be away from home at Christmas, it's just not the same in somebody else's house.

I'm engaged and we both go to our own parents house for Christmas, then he drives up to mine (5 hours away) the day after st Stephens day, stays a day or two then we both go to his town for NYE. We'll probably still do this when we're married (maybe) for the first year, but once we have children we're going to have to go to one parents or the other, and swap round each year.

I might otherwise ask both sets of parents to our house (if we ever get one) but then there's the problem of having to also ask non-married siblings too. Complicated! :)

OMG you are making a mountain out of a molehill. when you get married do your own thing. non married siblings ? what is that about? what will yo do when your parents die?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whenever you want. It took me ages to get my parents to believe me when I said that I'm perfectly happy to spend Christmas in my own house than spending 3 hours on a train so we can all sit around and stare at each other for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This Christmas will be the third Christmas of my life I'm spending away from home. I live in London and I'm spending it with some more like minded people (less turkey, more beer).

I don't think you need to go to the trouble of marrying and having children to spend this day with some of your unrelated loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

hondasam wrote: »
    OMG you are making a mountain out of a molehill. when you get married do your own thing. non married siblings ? what is that about? what will yo do when your parents die?

Christ captain bring down or what :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I always reckoned it was any age as soon as you have your own kids. I dont have kids but herselfs parents live in a completely different country to mine so **** knows what we would do. Last year she went home and I spent christmas alone rather than go back to Ireland.

The year you stop referring to your parents house as home is the year you stop going there for christmas.

• Advertisement

Christ captain bring down or what :D

Sorry :pac::pac:
    All this fuss over one dinner and who to invite.

Christmas is the only time of the year when all my family are together.

I'm saying if I were to ask both sets of parents for Christmas I'd have to ask my sisters too, since I'd be taking away their usual place to go!

I presume when my parents die I'll spend Christmas elsewhere, but luckily that hasn't happened yet:/

What? If you read what I said, you'll see I don't spend Christmas with my fiancé. I'm saying when we have kids it'll be complicated going to one house or the other when both sets of parents want us at home. What's your problem with that?

ok, but what has that got to do with your siblings which are your brothers and sisters, Im only responding to what you said which is what my post is about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I haven't gone home for christmas since I had my first child 8 years ago.
    I was just gone 18 at the time.
    We all usually have our own christmas or else go to my in laws.

Generally what people seem to do is either go to one family one year, and the other the next, or else go to one family for christmas and the other family for stephen's day.

Christmas is the only time of the year when all my family are together.

I'm saying if I were to ask both sets of parents for Christmas I'd have to ask my sisters too, since I'd be taking away their usual place to go!

I presume when my parents die I'll spend Christmas elsewhere, but luckily that hasn't happened yet:/

your sisters are not part of your family?

Some families live in different countries and it's not possible to be together, other families have kids themselves and stay in their own homes.
    Ask your parents for Christmas day and the in laws for new years day.
    If I were to be with all my family on Christmas we would have to hire a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Home? I am home.

When did I stop going to the parents' house? When I/we bought our own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Start a family feud .... problem solved , visit no fcukers

Saila wrote: »
    ok, but what has that got to do with your siblings which are your brothers and sisters, Im only responding to what you said which is what my post is about ;)

Read my post to hondasam and you should have the answer to your ponderings.

your sisters are not part of your family?

Some families live in different countries and it's not possible to be together, other families have kids themselves and stay in their own homes.
    Ask your parents for Christmas day and the in laws for new years day.
    If I were to be with all my family on Christmas we would have to hire a hotel.

Yea of course, I'm just saying it means a massive crowd for dinner in what will probably be a small flat/house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

When your dead........

Advertisement