Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All we need is love

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As Wibbs said ,Lennon wasn't a great father and one day after noticing how Paul was playing and Interacting with a child (might have been Juilian ) John asked '' how do you do that '' ? Paul looking puzzled replied '' do what ? '' ...to which John said '' you know ...like play with the kid and stuff '' ?

McCartney at first though he was just joking but soon realised he wasn't ...which is kinda sad :(

Then as soon as Sean came along ,John gave him more devotion and attention than he ever gave Julian which must have been painful for him and recently Julian has said that 'Yoko blocked him , Johns sister, Paul and others from getting in touch with John ' ( his own father ) and they didn't speak for some years , which shows you how much a hold she had on him
    I always thought John was a complete prick for making a remark like that. Seriously, FU for that nasty comment John.

Another one of his "before Elvis, there was nothing"
    After that one, I couldnt take him seriously anymore. He wrote some good tunes, but what a tit.
    I think in the early years when John came out with quotes like that one against Ringo it was just one of his off the cuff remarks to poke fun for the press but he could indeed be cruel with it when he wanted to . McCartney could do the put downs to but in a more subtle way than John who spoke many times without engaging brain , it has to be said although some of his post Beatle interviews show him to be less of a tit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Wasn't the peace loving person make him out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

Another interesting fact about Lennon is he used to sit in the garden wit his mother Julia whom he wrote a song for and fantasize about how far he could go with her.

He was also a tormented soul who in many peoples opinion , took to much acid which distorted his personality so much, he really didn't know who he was anymore and was big into cocaine to but who just before he died was rediscovering and finding himself again in music .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

An advocate for peace and love who kicks his pregnant wife in the guts. What a hero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    An advocate for peace and love who kicks his pregnant wife in the guts. What a hero.

Not to mention slapping her around and shooting her up with heroin....only joking, I like John Lennon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Wow the amount of lies in this thread is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I always thought John was a complete prick for making a remark like that. Seriously, FU for that nasty comment John.
    AFAIK apparently though it's quoted and re-quoted there's no evidence he ever actually said it. In fact he had a lot of respect for Ringo's abilities as a drummer and stated this more than once. As did the other three. One quote from Lennon was after he heard some drumming on a Motown track he said to Ringo "I'd love it to sound like that Rich". Ringo's reply was "eh John, that's two drummers playing". "Don't let that bother you Rich you can do it". Quite a number of top drummers also go along with this view. Ringo was not by any stretch a mundane drummer. Some of his stuff is quite complex, especially with timing. Sometimes the rest of them would even lay down a track without him or a metronome and expect him to come in and dub on the drums afterwards and follow the beat that was all over the place. Some of his work on Pepper like A Day in the life is high quality stuff.

IMHO as a band they have been much underrated as individual musicians (or their songwriting overpowered that aspect). McCartney is arguably one of the best most melodic bass player of his generation. Good piano player too(and pretty much good with anything that can make a noise). Harrison was spot on with his lead work. Try and imagine any Beatles song with a different lead part. Ringo was a good drummer and the best fit for them. Indeed again Lennon is coming from behind. He could come up with truly gorgeous and simple melodies on the piano, but a piano player he was not. So so rhythm player with the odd flash of skill(in the early days). Compare them to the Rolling stones. Mick is at best a play a tune at a party guitar player, Bill Wyman is very mundane as a bassist(Richards did a fair few of his parts on the records). Richards is very good in a gnarly way, but tends towards repetition. Brian Jones? Gimme a break. Charlie Watts is the best musician in that band IMHO. To be fair he'd be the best musician in a lot of bands, he's a stunningly effective drummer(doesn't need 20 toms and and 15 cymbals to do it either). The "bought in" lead guitarists over the years made up for the shortfall of the rest of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Quite a number of top drummers also go along with this view. Ringo was not by any stretch a mundane drummer. Some of his stuff is quite complex, especially with timing. Some of his work on Pepper like A Day in the life is high quality stuff.
    His drumming on Abby Road ,especially the B side is simply the guy at his Beatles peak and of course his drumming on all their early hits like twist and shout is solid to .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny I'd be more a fan of his drumming on Revolver.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

His drummings fine on Revolver as it is on loads of stuff but from the opening of Here Comes The Sun on side two of Abby Road into , You Never Give Me Your Money / Mean Mr. Mustard / Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window / Carry That Weight ..with all the off beats in between has that live studio feel to it all .His playing on 'Day in the life' ffrom Pepper is part of rock history now .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

He does a good drum solo in the middle of that medley on Abbey Road

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    He does a good drum solo in the middle of that medley on Abbey Road
    Which is then followed by I think McCartney's (filling in for absent George ) powerful guitar solo and that final ' plink plink plink plink plink plink plink note on the piano which is The End .I think Macca does this medely on his live set to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Used to bang Captain Planet I think.

He's a hero!

Advertisement