Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New express bus service to Dublin

Options
  • 06-12-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭

Dublin Coach are starting an express bus to Dublin, journey time is 2hrs 45, starts at Arthurs Quay, then UL, annacotty, kildare village, red cow and westmoreland street. 15 buses a day too.

No info on fares yet, but for that time I'd use it over the train as it's practically the same city centre to city centre.

The Bus Eireann/JJ Kavanagh's are a joke time wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Surely the Bus Eireann Dublin Express is just as quick and more frequent, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Beer Baron wrote: »

HA! You having a laugh? Try 4 hours. I'm not even kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Absolute torture is more like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Resi12 wrote: »
    HA! You having a laugh? Try 4 hours. I'm not even kidding.

And no toilet break any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I've felt like throwing myself out the window, and under that JJ Kavanagh bus on a few occasions :D 4.5 hours was my longest Dublin-Limerick trip with them.

This new service sounds great, badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Not sure if theres an express Lim-Dub... The normal bus stops in every backar$e town in the midlands, and spends about 10km on the motorway.... -> 4 hours!

Just wait for Bus Eireann to introduce(or improve) an express service at rock bottom prices to try run the competitors off the road, just like they try do to every competitor! Then they'll discontinue it once the competitor has gone bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

BB is right, the direct express bus which doesn't stop is quicker (going on vague memories here however :pac: )

Don't think the express is as frequent as this crowd though.

Who are Dublin Coach, btw? Affiliated with Dublin Bus? I know they run busses from as far out as Port Laoise now.

@savagecabbages, remember appearing at the station at just the right time to get it at the start of the summer. :)

Though I look now and it seems there is none. May have been an extra one put on.. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Well there'l be loads now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiaranMT wrote: »
    BB is right, the direct express bus which doesn't stop is quicker (going on vague memories here however :pac: )
    They only do it randomly afaik (probally wrong), my friend asked up in Dublin the other week in Busarus and he was like
    "is there an express bus back to Limerick? I got it coming up"
    and your man was all like
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfHT3OCP0soiOtsBtEqSESm5xc3ZuiPlgsHjOygFbxeIRKSZDJ
    "it doesn't exist"

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    They only do it randomly afaik (probally wrong), my friend asked up in Dublin the other week in Busarus and he was like
    "is there an express bus back to Limerick? I got it coming up"
    and your man was all like
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfHT3OCP0soiOtsBtEqSESm5xc3ZuiPlgsHjOygFbxeIRKSZDJ
    "it doesn't exist"

My face when I got it down :P

I thought the X was every hour and the indirect was on the half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I thought the X was every hour and the indirect was on the half hour.

That's the 51 to galway you're thinking of.

No bus eireann direct to Dublin. Its 3hrs45 on the old road to Portlaoise.

That's the 51 to galway you're thinking of.

No bus eireann direct to Dublin. Its 3hrs45 on the old road to Portlaoise.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Dublin Coach are starting an express bus to Dublin, journey time is 2hrs 45,

il believe it when i see it! i have used both bus eireann and jj kavanaghs quite regularly over the last few months. average is 3.45hrs but have been on it for 4.5hrs and that with out any break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hellish journey alright, the midlands are a God awful place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Saw the bus this morning, hope this is one stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Great news if true. JJ Kavanagh and Bus Eireann are tortuous. Anyone got a link to a timetable? Or know where I might find a physical copy? Dublin Coach's site doesn't have any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Great news if true. JJ Kavanagh and Bus Eireann are tortuous. Anyone got a link to a timetable? Or know where I might find a physical copy? Dublin Coach's site doesn't have any info.

There was a timetable on the site yesterday but when I went back today for a look it gone. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

hope this works out, it's definitely needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

There's a green bus stop after going up outside annacotty on the inbound side of the road (outside sisters of mercy). Looks like they're having their own dedicated stops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

source wrote: »
    There's a green bus stop after going up outside annacotty on the inbound side of the road (outside sisters of mercy). Looks like they're having their own dedicated stops too.

There is one on the outbound lane too halfways between the turn off for Murroe/Cappamore and Finnigan's bar.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Will believe it when I hear from someone who has used it. 2.5 hours is possible but not sure if it happens during daytime hours at this time of the year. But let us know if it works for you :D

In topaz on dock road, Dublin coach lass sitting at next table chatting, one of their busses are on the forecourt........it's small, I'll try to get a pic before I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I passed two of their buses today. They seem to be up and running. Green yokes

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I passed two of their buses today. They seem to be up and running. Green yokes

Overheard them saying they're doing a trial run on the route, and finding their depot here. Which is apparently a pain in the hole to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is a min-bus and also a coach. Passed them yesterday parked outside Arthurs Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Dublin Coach are starting an express bus to Dublin, journey time is 2hrs 45, starts at Arthurs Quay, then UL, annacotty, kildare village, red cow and westmoreland street. 15 buses a day too.

No info on fares yet, but for that time I'd use it over the train as it's practically the same city centre to city centre.

I got this new service down from Dublin this evening. Having had many of those 4 hour stop everywhere journeys over the years I thought I give these guys a try. Anyhow bus left Westmoreland Street at 1850 and pulled up at Arthurs Quay at 2130 on the button :) Cost was €10 one way. The stop up at Dublin had a sticker saying that the service started at 7th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

They should make the JJ Kavanagh/Bus Eireann to Dublin experience part of the program at Limerick Prison. It might teach a few of them a lesson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭phog

Coeus wrote: »
    I got this new service down from Dublin this evening. Having had many of those 4 hour stop everywhere journeys over the years I thought I give these guys a try. Anyhow bus left Westmoreland Street at 1850 and pulled up at Arthurs Quay at 2130 on the button :) Cost was €10 one way. The stop up at Dublin had a sticker saying that the service started at 7th of December.

How many were on the bus, is there enough to make it viable?

Advertisement