Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would Like To Know

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

K-9 wrote: »
    :D

Lad, contrarian away. You work. What's your take home pay? What you pay in PAYE/PRSI is pretty irrelevant unless your net pay is comparable to the dole.

Pay little or no rent? Yeah, many don't. Most with a shred of decency would throw the ould pair or the relatives a weekly rent, go out of there way to return the favour.

They don't need or want it? Don't you have the cushy number.

The decent thing? Return what favour?

Also are just people on the dole affected by 'cuts'.

anyway im pretty much done here.

And i do have a cushy Number no doubt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

rossie1977 wrote: »
    you can't just say 2 fish dishes etc, name them, give me exact prices, i just checked tesco.ie there and the cheapest pork they have is 7 euro a kilo and thats fatty crap

you don't eat for 2 days in the week i guess :D

This is the problem, tesco:rolleyes:, have you ever heard of a local butcher for your meat.
    I will give you exact prices for 2 fish dishes as follows, 2 smoked coli fillets in lidl 2 Eur, 2 marckerel in local fish monger 2.30 Eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

You can go into any tesco and you will find 3 for 9 euro deals in the meat section. You can choose between 2 salmon fillets/ 2 chicken fillets/ minute steak pack or pork chops. (and probably other stuff I never look at) They also do 3 selected fruit for 6 euro, apples bananas, kiwi, pineapple, plums or pears last time I checked. Throw another fiver in for veg and that's the bones of food for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

pmcmahon wrote: »
    how are you posting this then?,dial-up even needs a landline.Using a mobile would require credit..

No it doesn't, my pay as you go andriod works great online. no credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

One of the most terrible ironies about unemployment benefits is that when they are most needed by hundreds of thousands of people who were driven into unemployment by macroeconomic circumstances, economic circumstances dictate that benefits must be reduced further.

As terrible an irony as this is, society needs to be pragmatic and accept that if the cost of living is reduced, and this is to be partially achieved by reducing Government spending, then it will theoretically be possible to carefully reduce benefits so as to minimise impact as benefits fall closer into line with the newer cost of living. I do believe this is what the Government has in mind.

€8 reduction in unemployment benefits is a relatively small amount of money. However, it should be borne in mind that the rate has already fallen by something like €20 over the past 3 budgets.

• Advertisement

Okay ive decided to list out what i brought last wednesday from my receipts, i cant stand these lazy posters who say you cant eat good food for less than 50 Eur per week, pure lazy and spoilt and condscending to other posters who know how to eat for a lot less and a lot more healthy than them.

List for food for a week with prices, shopping done last wednesday:

MEAT:
    5 Pork Chops 5 Eur In local butchers(have to buy 5 or else 1.50 each without 5)
    Beef stir fry 5 Eur in local butchers( big portion)
    Bacon for boiling in local butchers 5 Eur
    Large chicken in local butchers 4.50 Eur
    3 Lamb chops 1.50x3 4.50 in butchers

Fish :
    2 smoke coli in Lidl 2 Eur
    2 mackerel in local fish shop 2.50

Veg:
    2 bags carrots 2 eur
    2 brocloli 2 eur
    2 mushrooms in dunnnes 1.60
    1 cauliflower 1.50
    Net of onions 80 C
    Bag of spuds 5kg 6 Eur
    I turnip 1.50
    Rice bag of 5 in aldi 1.00 Eur

Drinks:
    7up 4 litres for 2.50 Eur( dunnes)
    Orange Juice 1.75

Treats:
    Twirls choclate 1.25 (5bars)
    Pringles 2 tubs 2.50 (tesco)
    Cadbury 10 swiss rolls 1.50 tesco reduced

That comes to around 50 Eur for 7 days food and not to forget the leftovers for sandwiches etc and of course i could not eat 5 chops so 2 for the following day equals 8 days food and good food as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I used spend between 60 and 70 on food for two, I will admit most of it catered for her needs as I'm not here for most mealtimes but she no longer lives with me and instead I hand over 110 a week for her upkeep elsewhere. I budgeted that she shouldn't have to spend much more than 30 a week on main meals and 25 for lunches in school. (20 for her rent and 35 for other allowances.) Will be interesting to see how she manages it all the same. I'm guessing she will spend it all on crap though.
    (while mammy goes out and looks for a second job to support her)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Johnjo, what do you have for breakfast and lunch? You mention sandwiches but you haven't bought any bread. Your shopping list looks like dinners only.

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Johnjo, what do you have for breakfast and lunch? You mention sandwiches but you haven't bought any bread. Your shopping list looks like dinners only.

Yes i only eat once a day anyway but big meals, sorry add 2 Eur for bread that i forgot to add, as i said lots of leftovers for sandwiches with the meat i buy.

Used to spend 12 to 13 euro on food a week in first year of university.. Id go around the shop totting up the cost in my phone for each thing I added to the basket. Another guy was in the same situation so we went in on deals together.. Not healthy so I resorted to shop lifting in second year.

After university when I was on the dole for two months, I was getting 197euro. 80 rent, 40 on food, 80 on drink and drugs. I was in a lot of debt during that time but gambled on getting a job quickly and luckily I did. Then I was paying back 197euro a week just on the loans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Yes i only eat once a day anyway but big meals

That leaves more time for gambling and drinking.

Jonjo is living the dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

facebook will be awash with status updates of people moaning about the budget.....the irony of it will be plenty of them moaning about it by posting from their 50quid a month iphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Have you ever considered a career in reality TV?

I really do think people would be interested in your sex, drugs and rock & roll on the dole lifestyle.

Serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

If the people who are always saying i cant take anymore hits on the news really mean it.
    For example i bet a lot of these people have sky tv, smoke 20 fags a day etc, i want a reporter to ask them if they smoke or have sky tv if they complain about cuts, these are not necessities.
    For example im on the dole at the moment but if they cut 8 Eur off me i would have no problem.

I have sky tv. It's not a necessity but for gods sake, I work 40 hours a week. Surely having €20 to spend on a luxury every month isn't being greedy!
    I don't think it's right that we be expected to work and have our salaries pared back to the point where we can't afford even the smallest luxury, like an occasional night out or takeaway or sky etc..
    We shouldn't sit back and allow ourselves to accept having every little luxury taken from us, to have our incomes reduced so much that we have nothing after paying for basic necessities.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Well I buy one large box of luxury Weetabix a week and it costs 900 euro. The other 3100 euro goes on the mortgage and petrol for this giant SUV I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

In lidl you can get tins of salmon for 1 euro... I stock up on them, like 10 or so, and keep them there for an cheap source of meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Jonjo should have his own cookery programme on RTE instead of that Allen bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

ash23 wrote: »
    I have sky tv. It's not a necessity but for gods sake, I work 40 hours a week. Surely having €20 to spend on a luxury every month isn't being greedy!
    I don't think it's right that we be expected to work and have our salaries pared back to the point where we can't afford even the smallest luxury, like an occasional night out or takeaway or sky etc..
    We shouldn't sit back and allow ourselves to accept having every little luxury taken from us, to have our incomes reduced so much that we have nothing after paying for basic necessities.
    :(

I'm not saying you shouldn't have treats etc. but saying 'I can't take any more hits' generally should mean 'I'm going to slide into debt, or go hungry or can't heat my house' not 'I can't watch Sky One'. There's wants and needs, and to provide the greatest number of people with their needs, we have to cut back on wants. Which is unfortunate, but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

pmcmahon wrote: »
    how are you posting this then?,dial-up even needs a landline.Using a mobile would require credit..

Jesus, you think you're fierce clever don't you? :p I have gotten a job, I said I HAD a rough year as in, in the past.

And for whoever asked I meant €8 less a week over the month is €32 that was the equivalent to two weeks shopping for my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There was a woman in the paper a couple of weeks ago talking about the proposed cut in the children's allowance. And she's going on about how tight things are now - that she couldn't pay the Electricity bill last week because she took her kid to the cinema. God, I think I'd rather keep the lights on than go to the cinema. You don't need to spend money to give a kid a treat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

There was a woman in the paper a couple of weeks ago talking about the proposed cut in the children's allowance. And she's going on about how tight things are now - that she couldn't pay the Electricity bill last week because she took her kid to the cinema. God, I think I'd rather keep the lights on than go to the cinema. You don't need to spend money to give a kid a treat...

Especially when you can download films for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Especially when you can download films for free.

To be fair, you still have to pay for broadband, and that's also highly morally dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Snakeblood wrote: »
    To be fair, you still have to pay for broadband, and that's also highly morally dubious.

Just tap into the neighbours.

Im kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Look i will be honest im single and on the dole but i could survive on less than 100 per week, i buy all my own food and cook at home and i can still afford to go out 3 nights a week.
    I would have no problem in my dole being reduced, i know lots of other people on the dole and single mothers who smoke over 20 fags a day and then complain about 10 euro cut in childrens allowance, no one is forcing them to smoke and if my dole was cut i would just give up the few drinks, why should it be diffrent for them.
    The way some of these people talk you swear there were going to starve to death but they would have plenty of money for fags and the like.

I call shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sykk wrote: »
    I call shenanigans!

Yes, he could be Joan Burton i.e. JOAN THE MISER?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yes, he could be Joan Burton i.e. JOAN THE MISER?

...he certainly types in a way that grates on the ear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If the people who are always saying i cant take anymore hits on the news really mean it.
    Look i will be honest im single and on the dole but i could survive on less than 100 per week, i buy all my own food and cook at home and i can still afford to go out 3 nights a week.

And then you have people who have kids, a mortgage, a car to run to get into work etc etc... They can't really take another hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

smash wrote: »
    And then you have people who have kids, a mortgage, a car to run to get into work etc etc... They can't really take another hit!

And therein lies the issue.... Dole payment amount is the same regardless of personal circumstances, i.e. single, living at home, on hols from college versus married/cohabiting, big mortgage to pay off, 3 kids, etc. etc. This government is is incapable of introducing a fairer system as different departments seem unable to share relevant info etc.

I've personally come across no single person on the dole who believes the amount should not be reduced...

Dole unchanged!! WAHEY!!!

*Lights up Monte Cristo*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

A finger of fudge is just enough.

Advertisement