Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would Like To Know

Options
  • 05-12-2011 2:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

If the people who are always saying i cant take anymore hits on the news really mean it.
    For example i bet a lot of these people have sky tv, smoke 20 fags a day etc, i want a reporter to ask them if they smoke or have sky tv if they complain about cuts, these are not necessities.
    For example im on the dole at the moment but if they cut 8 Eur off me i would have no problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If the people who are always saying i cant take anymore hits on the news really mean it.
    For example i bet a lot of these people have sky tv, smoke 20 fags a day etc, i want a reporter to ask them if they smoke or have sky tv if they complain about cuts, these are not necessities.
    For example im on the dole at the moment but if they cut 8 Eur off me i would have no problem.

You still have to live a little. 8 Euro is a pittance for most people but it does count when youre on the scratcher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i have often pondered this too,that's not to say there are fathers with 4 kids who could feel it,but i mean what about single blokes who say it and go down to the pub every saturday for a few drinks?,€8 is 2 pints less a week,it's hardly an astronomical blow the way SOME go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

There are people who really can't take the hit, but I do agree with you completely, I have yet to meet someone complaining about cuts and the recession who doesn't have some degree of luxury of spending they hadn't even noticed yet, and that generally falls into the categories of fags, booze, paid tv and fast food. It really amazes me what some people define as the bare minimum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Look i will be honest im single and on the dole but i could survive on less than 100 per week, i buy all my own food and cook at home and i can still afford to go out 3 nights a week.
    I would have no problem in my dole being reduced, i know lots of other people on the dole and single mothers who smoke over 20 fags a day and then complain about 10 euro cut in childrens allowance, no one is forcing them to smoke and if my dole was cut i would just give up the few drinks, why should it be diffrent for them.
    The way some of these people talk you swear there were going to starve to death but they would have plenty of money for fags and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I could easily take a hit, i live with relatives rent free and have a full time job. Still annoying though when 145e prsi and tax comes out of my pay cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im disappointed I expected to read a dooms day thread/ recession thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Look i will be honest im single and on the dole but i could survive on less than 100 per week, i buy all my own food and cook at home and i can still afford to go out 3 nights a week.
    I would have no problem in my dole being reduced, i know lots of other people on the dole and single mothers who smoke over 20 fags a day and then complain about 10 euro cut in childrens allowance, no one is forcing them to smoke and if my dole was cut i would just give up the few drinks, why should it be diffrent for them.
    The way some of these people talk you swear there were going to starve to death but they would have plenty of money for fags and the like.

Yeah, I think €100 is plenty for a single lad or fella. Rent might be a problem though.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I could easily take a hit, i live with relations rent free and have a full time job. Still annoying though when 145e prsi and tax comes out of my pay cheque.

I assume you contribute something to the house so you aren't living rent free?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Keith186

orourkeda wrote: »
    You still have to live a little. 8 Euro is a pittance for most people but it does count when youre on the scratcher

You got that right!

Ireland is on the scratchier. €8 will make a difference when you multiply it by hundreds of thousands for 52 weeks.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think €100 is plenty for a single lad or fella. Rent might be a problem though.

I assume you contribute something to the house so you aren't living rent free?

Im renting and i dont even claim rent allowance, pay 50 Eur per week rent outta 188, spend 50 Eur on food and live like a king on that and i go out on the beer 3 times per week, 10 pints at 3 Eur a pop, so it can be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Im renting and i dont even claim rent allowance, pay 50 Eur per week rent outta 188, spend 50 Eur on food and live like a king on that and i go out on the beer 3 times per week, 10 pints at 3 Eur a pop, so it can be done.

€50 a week? what shed are you renting?

• Advertisement

:eek: You lucky thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ah, but have you taken the upcoming VAT increase into account?

That will probably have a bigger impact on your weekly budget than a reduction in welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

what do you do when you go out?

Drink water?

Well im living in Galway city in a houseshare and there are many places i can get for less than that.
    And the place has everything and very modern, i guess a lot of posters might live in dublin where i could see this might be a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Drink water?

He said 3 euro drink nights :rolleyes:
    Even 10 drinks would only cost 30 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I've wondered this too.my sister talks about money and her husbands job,but he smokes over 10 a day,they get a takeaway at least once a week,they have two cars,are always buying things for the kids... There's a long way to go before they'll really be struggling.

When I watch my money I stop going out or stop drinking if I do go,i walk everywhere possible,constantly watch what i'm spending my money on... I think a lot of people have no idea what living with essentials is.

Drink water?

NO ave a great time, i drink Guinness which i get in my local for 3 Eur a pint and then head down town around 12 for a few late night drinks which cost average 3.80 and then home to cook a nice feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

pmcmahon wrote: »
    €50 a week? what shed are you renting?

This.

I'd love to know how you can go out a few times a week and where these three euro pints are.

LighterGuy wrote: »

DON'T you roll your eyes at me young man.

Now go to your room this instant.

There are a good few pubs in Galway city that have 3.00 pints of Guinness, grab 7 there and then 3 down town and it wont cost ya more than 30 Eur for a great night out and still get pissed.

• Advertisement

Abi wrote: »
    I'd love to know how you can go ot a few times a week and where these three euro pints are.

The OP may just have a mature attitude to drink, I know it's rare in Ireland, but it is possible.

EDIT: or maybe the drink is just cheap :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

You're an F'n Miser.
    Get the real thiefs.

policarp wrote: »
    You're an F'n Miser.
    Get the real thiefs.

The real thief's what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

DON'T you roll your eyes at me young man.

Now go to your room this instant.

:pac: young man?

Haha. Ok stone. I wont roll my eyes at you anymore. I'll gladly wipe my ass with what you say.

I think a lot of people have no idea what living with essentials is.

Ive often survived on less than 10 euro for food for a week when i was gambling and lost,it can be done, buy your food and know how to cook and be inventive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, €138 after rent for a single lad isn't that bad.
    There are a good few pubs in Galway city that have 3.00 pints of Guinness, grab 7 there and then 3 down town and it wont cost ya more than 30 Eur for a great night out and still get pissed.

You spend €90 out of €138 on drink, 70% of your budget on drink? :eek:

€48 a week to afford food, the internet you are posting on, ESB, heat etc.

Jaysus, you wouldn't be bull****ting now Jonjo? Not like you and all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Abi wrote: »
    This.

I'd love to know how you can go out a few times a week and where these three euro pints are.

My old place were I lived was 200 a month :D and it could fit like 30 people into the sitting room it got a little full but hey whist a party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

:confused:
    The real thief's what?

I'll gladly wipe my ass with what you say

Now that's just unnecessarily rude. You've actually hurt my feelings.

You used to be such a likeable person.

Good evening to you Sir.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There are a good few pubs in Galway city that have 3.00 pints of Guinness.....

Not for much longer.

There is no way the publicans are gonna absorb their share of the VAT increase.

2% may seem like a small amount but this doesn't just apply to the point of sale. Production and distribution costs will also become more expensive. I reckon the price of a pint will increase by around 20 cent this week.

That €8 you're willing to forego might come in handy yet.

Advertisement