Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsible during the Celtic Tiger? - IDIOT!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

K-9 wrote: »
    The UK and US have more exposure but for some reason the Germans get blamed. Lenihan introduced the guarantee against Dept. of Finance advice and went on a solo run based on an opinion from David McWilliams. Once it came it was always going to be difficult to get out of it.

If not for his move, there would of been a ridicilous disasterous outflying of deposits from the company. I believe he even got into trouble from europe who were quite pissed by this move, as it made other countries bank a much weaker position and strengthened ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm sick to my back teeth of this self loathing generalization. And as for your delight at the prospect of German rule, has it perhaps escaped your notice, given how insistent the Germans are that the Irish public bare the burden of the gambling debts of the Irish banks and repay their reckless German lenders, that German rule might not be as particularly benevolent as you imagine? They are already behaving like the British landlords of old.

Is that your personal opinion or is there any proof (link, article, etc) for the statement, that Germany wants the 'ordinary' Irish public to suffer for the mistakes done by politicians, bankers, bondholders, developers?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

theTinker wrote: »
    If not for his move, there would of been a ridicilous disasterous outflying of deposits from the company. I believe he even got into trouble from europe who were quite pissed by this move, as it made other countries bank a much weaker position and strengthened ours.

Nothing wrong with a deposit guarantee, everybody else was doing it. Covering all bondholder debt has proved to be a massive mistake. Really should have followed the prudent Dept. of Finance advice which didn't see much of a reason for saving Anglo.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kasabian wrote: »
    Nah!! I think I'll stay, not one for running away. The rest of the world is just as fcuked.

Not too bad here....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

may or not be off topic... I just do not understand why a bunch of ex-teachers/gardai etc are running the country instead of experts in finance, education, business.. forget the politics for the moment and appoint people who actually know what they are doing to get us out of this sh1t

250 posts!! woot another milestone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

nice_very wrote: »
    may or not be off topic... I just do not understand why a bunch of ex-teachers/gardai etc are running the country instead of experts in finance, education, business.. forget the politics for the moment and appoint people who actually know what they are doing to get us out of this sh1t

250 posts!! woot another milestone :)

Because people vote personalities and not expertise.

Anyway the last accountant we had and i use accounting loosely was bertie and he didnt do a great job did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Budget details starting to leak out in todays papers.

DIRT tax up to 30%

Dividends and rental income to come under PRSI

VAT up to 23%

Random charges everywhere.

Ireland = Newly adopted German province

As someone who did not borrow 10 times my salary to buy a shed in a floodplain in Westmeath, 2 cars and a holiday in Dubai after a bit of R and R in New York and then blame 'bankers' and 'developers' for my stupid behaviour

I for one am quite annoyed.:mad::mad::mad:

Responsible people of Ireland, lets leave!

OK. Got the wife and kids packed and we're standing outside the house now. What time are you picking us up, it's pissing down here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

OK. Got the wife and kids packed and we're standing outside the house now. What time are you picking us up, it's pissing down here?

Ive been waiting also and all i have now is bronchitis, who do i complain to? and more importanly where is my medical card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

billybudd wrote: »
    Ive been waiting also and all i have now is bronchitis, who do i complain to? and more importanly where is my medical card?

Yep. Looks like this OP is just like all the rest - full of sheite and false promises. Who can we trust these days? Good luck budd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I blame the old peeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

latenia wrote: »
    What's unfair about those two?

DIRT at 30% means that coupled with fees investing in share's turns into a bit of a mug's game. You won't always be right but when you are you'll still get fleeced.

I thought you were driving:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

ilovesleep wrote: »
    There is a sickening perception here on boards that we all lost the run of ourselves buying a house, cars, holidays etc with cheap credit when the reality is so far from that. I'm under 30 and like the OP I lived within my means. If I wanted something large ie my first learners car (which was an old heap by the way) I worked and saved for it. Many more young adults that I know had the same attitude and don't have any loans but are fcuked due to unemployment. If by any chance there was a loan it was reasonable and well managed and paid.

Quite frankly the numbers just don't add up. There's only something like 700,000 + a few more hundred (of residential mortgages from an adult population of 2 million the numbers and the country oweing billions just don't add up. But many people are gullible and believe what the media feeds them and in turn, turning many different sectors against each other in the progess ie the unemployed are lazy, sponging gits, single mothers are whores who've dropped their knickers for SW money.
    The very reality is that we have been put on a course of austerity to save a failing currency and a failing banking system.

Like the op, I'm annoyed but for different reasons. The reason I mentioned above about the failed banking system (just goes to show that we are all slaves to the system) but also things won't be done fairly in the budget. And what I mean by this is that the very people responsible for ruinning irelands economy will not know what austerity is.
    Another reason is that I don't think you can tax your way out from a recession. Make it easier for people to spend and slowly but surely many umemployed will find employment in the sectors the people are spending in, ie retail.

While I am like you as you stated in your first paragraph, I didnt go out and borrow to the hilt but a lot of people did because of the easy availability of easy and cheap at the time loans which were given by banks who were'nt being kept under control by the powers that be at the time. Along with which you have the "businessmen" who borrowed to expand their business'.

IMHO you are correct when you say that taxation is not a way to get out of a recession, there's lots of talk about getting the internal economy going but increasing taxes and costs while reducing incomes wont do it. I aint no scholar by any means but INCREASED OUTGOINGS on bare necessities + REDUCED INCOME = LESS TO SPEND otherwise.

The political heavyweights are to hammer out the details of a plan to save the euro, which could lead to a financial rescue package totalling up to £1.3trillion.
    Merkel and Sarkozy are to thrash out a 'save the euro' deal (Picture: PA) Merkel and Sarkozy are to thrash out a 'save the euro' deal
    It is thought this scheme will involve changes to the European Union treaty, despite David Cameron's warning that sweeping changes to the treaty to improve financial ties between the eurozone countries will take too long.

According to Merkel, the changes would create a 'European fiscal union with strict rules', while Sarkozy is aiming for a 'true economic government'.

The European leaders, who have worked very closely on the debt crisis, are intending to push for a 'save the euro' deal at an EU summit in Brussels which is taking place on Friday.

Both leaders have agreed that some countries, such as those with excessive debts like Spain and Italy, must forfeit some independence when it comes to national budgets in exchange for help from richer countries, according to the Telegraph.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/883860-angela-merkel-and-nicolas-sarkozy-set-for-crunch-eurozone-talks-in-paris#ixzz1febfLX5O

Would a story like this not indicate that Germany and France on a mission to take control of other European countries, take note of the words forfeit some independence. Surely any discussions should involve all member states???

Given all the FF bashing surely it is time to balance the books a little in this regard given the story that Mr. "Can Do No Wrong" Kenny intervened to secure a €35,000 pay rise for a goverment adviser has only gotten to be a story in one paper and little more than a mention on the news/teletext that I have seen if that had been done by a FF Taoiseach there would have been a hell of an out cry. Of course FF when in power did do an awful lot stuff that was not in the best intrests of the country and got slated for it, deservedly so too.

Would someone please explain to me in simple understandable terms(without the "it was politicians looking after their cronies" bits) why Anglo Irish Bank was bailed out by the country seeing as it was involved in such allegedly underhand "business" practices? Surely the "bank" and those involved should have been told to clean up the mess they created and take the consequences, in other words go f**k off with yourselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Budget details starting to leak out in todays papers.

DIRT tax up to 30%

Dividends and rental income to come under PRSI

VAT up to 23%

Random charges everywhere.

Ireland = Newly adopted German province

As someone who did not borrow 10 times my salary to buy a shed in a floodplain in Westmeath, 2 cars and a holiday in Dubai after a bit of R and R in New York and then blame 'bankers' and 'developers' for my stupid behaviour

I for one am quite annoyed.:mad::mad::mad:

Responsible people of Ireland, lets leave!

Funny how everyone is an expert in hindsight.
    People bought houses because mortgage wasn't much more than rent, and prices were going up so much they thought if they don't buy now, houses will be another 30k in a year. Government kept telling us there would be a soft landing.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Funny how everyone is an expert in hindsight.
    People bought houses because mortgage wasn't much more than rent, and prices were going up so much they thought if they don't buy now, houses will be another 30k in a year. Government kept telling us there would be a soft landing.

Mortgage was way more than rent. See any of Morgan Kellys articles.

Government? Bertie? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Politics forum that way
    >

Mortgage was way more than rent. See any of Morgan Kellys articles.

Government? Bertie? Seriously?

No it wasn't. I know plenty of people that bought and it was very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Really it depends where you buy. I was renting for 1000 a month. My mortgage is almost 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I think it was very dependent on the situation. I remember people telling me they were saving on the rent, but they had interest only mortgages. As soon as the rates went up or the interest only period ended, they were boned.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Really it depends where you buy. I was renting for 1000 a month. My mortgage is almost 1600.

Yes, depends on where you bought. My mate had his morgage covered when he rented his house for a while. At the moment it's definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

stovelid wrote: »
    The boom benefited everybody whether prudent savers or credit junkies but most of what passes for discourse on these matters in here can be distilled to a basic hatred that somebody somewhere is getting something that you're not.

Given the fact that FF enjoyed majorities in the good times , I have no doubt that many of the people here voted for them and therefore have no right to moan about others whose only difference to them is that their nose was deeper in the trough.

Wrong on both counts.

You left out the "that they can't afford and that we now all have to pay for" from the first paragraph, which might give it some level of truth.

Never voted FF, and never will. And won't be voting FG or Labour again after they've ensured that FF's protection of the con-artists and wasters continues, hitting us with the bill.

So there's a trough alright, but I can honestly say I never went near it or wanted to; unfortunately the governments refuse to accept this fact and don't hold those responsible....well, responsible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Sinn Fein don't do indiscretions.:):):)

You are deluding yourself. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I voted Sinn Fein.
    Lenihan introduced the guarantee against Dept. of Finance advice and went on a solo run based on an opinion from David McWilliams.

David McWilliams denied this on a documentary on RTE1 a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

David McWilliams denied this on a documentary on RTE1 a couple of weeks ago.

He would say that, wouldn't he? :D

He seemed to think a guarantee would make Dublin the new London financial district in a very short period. I don't really have a problem with him, its a Finance minister going it alone based on one persons opinion that I don't like.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He would say that, wouldn't he? :D

He seemed to think a guarantee would make Dublin the new London financial district in a very short period. I don't really have a problem with him, its a Finance minister going it alone based on one persons opinion that I don't like.

The Finance minister who trained as a solicitor. Is that the guy??
    There are plenty of other economists and financial experts he should have consulted aswell as David McWilliams but what can we hope for from a hereditary title government like the one we had (have)

Yay more taxes!

Advertisement