Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsible during the Celtic Tiger? - IDIOT!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Budget details starting to leak out in todays papers.

DIRT tax up to 30%

Dividends and rental income to come under PRSI

VAT up to 23%

Random charges everywhere.

Ireland = Newly adopted German province

As someone who did not borrow 10 times my salary to buy a shed in a floodplain in Westmeath, 2 cars and a holiday in Dubai after a bit of R and R in New York and then blame 'bankers' and 'developers' for my stupid behaviour

I for one am quite annoyed.:mad::mad::mad:

Responsible people of Ireland, lets leave!

Just keep in mind that the majority of people still work and pay tax and take responsibilty for their debts. let reality in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Yep but the rest of us have to suffer whilst they do it.

Dudess wrote: »
    But during the boom there was nobody objecting to those advantages.

What that you cant buy a home and have to pay rack rents because people are paying silly money for houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Blab all you like about the average, but it displays actual critical thinking if you consider the individual roles. Of course some people in the public sector have cushy, well paid jobs, but folks like you who have an axe to grind spread the lie that all in the public sector get paid a fortune for doing nowt and that most in the private sector are being screwed - knowing that there are enough who'll be happy to believe you.

Correct, Gigino was permabanned from the Irish Economy section for spewing the same begrudging bile.

Blab all you like about the average, but it displays actual critical thinking if you consider the individual roles. Of course some people in the public sector have cushy, well paid jobs, but folks like you who have an axe to grind spread the lie that all in the public sector get paid a fortune for doing nowt and that most in the private sector are being screwed - knowing that there are enough who'll be happy to believe you.

Your branch of the tree is nicer than mine, why do you have such a nice branch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

gigino wrote: »
    average pay in the public service here is double what it is in the UK, so yep, relatively speaking, some have cushy jobs. Espec when figures in todays payers show sickies in the public sector are twice that of the private sector.
    And relatively speaking the cost of living is way less in the U.K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The boom benefited everybody whether prudent savers or credit junkies but most of what passes for discourse on these matters in here can be distilled to a basic hatred that somebody somewhere is getting something that you're not.

Given the fact that FF enjoyed majorities in the good times , I have no doubt that many of the people here voted for them and therefore have no right to moan about others whose only difference to them is that their nose was deeper in the trough.

average pay in the public service here is double what it is in the UK, so yep, relatively speaking, some have cushy jobs. Espec when figures in todays payers show sickies in the public sector are twice that of the private sector.

I should clarify that i dont work for the PS, but surely alot of that is based on the hazzardous jobs they do, gards, nurses, doctors, prison officers, waste managment, sewer workers etc etc etc lots of bacteria and mental stress in those jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

billybudd wrote: »
    but surely alot of that is based on the hazzardous jobs they do, gards, nurses, doctors, prison officers, waste managment, sewer workers etc etc etc lots of bacteria and mental stress in those jobs.
    there are hazardous jobs ( eg bouncer / doorman / roofer ) and non hazardous jobs in the private sector as well as the public sector. Yet the figures show people doing the same job in the public sector ( eg admin or sec. ) are paid much more + take twice as many sickies as in the private sector.

Oh, and the cops, nurses, doctors, prison officers, waste managment, sewer workers etc in Newry face bacteria and mental stress in Newry and Nottingham and Nuremburg as well as Newbliss and Navan, so why do the public servants get paid double in Newbliss + Navan ?

Excellent articles in todays papers about this, much better written than I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

There is a sickening perception here on boards that we all lost the run of ourselves buying a house, cars, holidays etc with cheap credit when the reality is so far from that. I'm under 30 and like the OP I lived within my means. If I wanted something large ie my first learners car (which was an old heap by the way) I worked and saved for it. Many more young adults that I know had the same attitude and don't have any loans but are fcuked due to unemployment. If by any chance there was a loan it was reasonable and well managed and paid.

Quite frankly the numbers just don't add up. There's only something like 700,000 + a few more hundred (of residential mortgages from an adult population of 2 million the numbers and the country oweing billions just don't add up. But many people are gullible and believe what the media feeds them and in turn, turning many different sectors against each other in the progess ie the unemployed are lazy, sponging gits, single mothers are whores who've dropped their knickers for SW money.
    The very reality is that we have been put on a course of austerity to save a failing currency and a failing banking system.

Like the op, I'm annoyed but for different reasons. The reason I mentioned above about the failed banking system (just goes to show that we are all slaves to the system) but also things won't be done fairly in the budget. And what I mean by this is that the very people responsible for ruinning irelands economy will not know what austerity is.
    Another reason is that I don't think you can tax your way out from a recession. Make it easier for people to spend and slowly but surely many umemployed will find employment in the sectors the people are spending in, ie retail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

ilovesleep wrote: »
    There is a sickening perception here on boards that we all lost the run of ourselves buying a house, cars, holidays etc with cheap credit when the reality is so far from that. I'm under 30 and like the OP I lived within my means. If I wanted something large ie my first learners car (which was an old heap by the way) I worked and saved for it. Many more young adults that I know had the same attitude and don't have any loans but are fcuked due to unemployment. If by any chance there was a loan it was reasonable and well managed and paid.

Quite frankly the numbers just don't add up. There's only something like 700,000 + a few more hundred (of residential mortgages from an adult population of 2 million the numbers and the country oweing billions just don't add up. But many people are gullible and believe what the media feeds them and in turn, turning many different sectors against each other in the progess ie the unemployed are lazy, sponging gits, single mothers are whores who've dropped their knickers for SW money.
    The very reality is that we have been put on a course of austerity to save a failing currency and a failing banking system.

Like the op, I'm annoyed but for different reasons. The reason I mentioned above about the failed banking system (just goes to show that we are all slaves to the system) but also things won't be done fairly in the budget. And what I mean by this is that the very people responsible for ruinning irelands economy will not know what austerity is.
    Another reason is that I don't think you can tax your way out from a recession. Make it easier for people to spend and slowly but surely many umemployed will find employment in the sectors the people are spending in, ie retail.
    Well said!

Defo cant tax your way out. Were being bled dry to pay back banks thanks to all the stupid behaviour of the people who have gotten into hock with them at alevel that they could never afford and never had any hope of paying back for things like decking (does that still exist) and 'investment properties' in bulgaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Can we blame you for the Sinn Fein indiscretions?

Sinn Fein don't do indiscretions.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

not only did these knobs buy over priced piles of dog $hite, they also had to have the brand new his and hers Range Rovers, they had to have the Harley Davidson,s and the luxury yacht moored up at there second home in Spain, then the finance to send their kids to the best schools... massive no expense spared parties..... the list goes on

there are hazardous jobs ( eg bouncer / doorman / roofer ) and non hazardous jobs in the private sector as well as the public sector. Yet the figures show people doing the same job in the public sector ( eg admin or sec. ) are paid much more + take twice as many sickies as in the private sector.

Oh, and the cops, nurses, doctors, prison officers, waste managment, sewer workers etc in Newry face bacteria and mental stress in Newry and Nottingham and Nuremburg as well as Newbliss and Navan, so why do the public servants get paid double in Newbliss + Navan ?

Excellent articles in todays papers about this, much better written than I can do.

so then it comes down to being a patriot? so if you where a PS and your union got you a great deal and a recession hit would you be willing to cut your wages? honestly for the good of a corrupt little country?

I agree, delve a little into it and it is not that hard to figure where the money came from, where it went, where it is going and who will get it.

I would not say it's a conspiracy but for sure it is a well managed pyramid scheme with the top half only profiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

DIRT tax up to 30%

What's unfair about those two?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Budget details starting to leak out in todays papers.

DIRT tax up to 30%

VAT up to 23%

Random charges everywhere.

Ireland = Newly adopted German province

As someone who did not borrow 10 times my salary to buy a shed in a floodplain in Westmeath, 2 cars and a holiday in Dubai after a bit of R and R in New York and then blame 'bankers' and 'developers' for my stupid behaviour

I for one am quite annoyed.:mad::mad::mad:

Responsible people of Ireland, lets leave!

That's why I came to Ireland in 2004, I am a spy of the German government and the German Secret Service :D

Ah Lars why didnt you stop us!

latenia wrote: »
    What's unfair about those two?

People who save and are not feckless get screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

billybudd wrote: »
    so if you where a PS and your union got you a great deal and a recession hit would you be willing to cut your wages?
    yes, not that i am a member of a union. I was asked once did I want to join the union and I refused, as I can see the damage they do.;)
    The top boys in the union like O'Connor look after themselves. Did you know the top union boys in Ireland earn as much as some prime ministers in Europe earn ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

My hopes of another SSIA are fading fast though Enda might surprise me after the news (i.e he might tell the truth for once and grow a pair of balls)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

chip on shoulder posse meeting on this thread i see

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

beeroclock wrote: »
    My hopes of another SSIA are fading fast though Enda might surprise me after the news (i.e he might tell the truth for once and grow a pair of balls)

There's 0 chance of another SSIA, that would be insane (just like the first one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

There's 0 chance of another SSIA, that would be insane (just like the first one).

I hope you dont think I was being serious ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

have always lived well below my meanness would give jonjo a run for his drawn out buck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Did you know the top union boys in Ireland earn as much as some prime ministers in Europe earn ?

and the cost of living is the same in every country in Europe.... :rolleyes: and the tax rate is the same in every country in Europe .... :rolleyes: and so salaries are directly comparable across every country. My family who live abroad earn a pre-tax salary which is a LOT lower than mine, but guess who has a better quality of life? Who can afford to eat out more often?

Tbh, I wouldn't mind being a German province. Better than being ruled by gombeen men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If only the retards that were running the country had adopted some counter-cyclical policies and not inflated the cost of the public sector.

Such lost opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

dory wrote: »
    What's your beef with conservatories??

I never borrowed a dime. I'm so sick of the eejits running our country. I would be DELIGHTED to become a German province. We're too thick to govern ourselves. :mad:

I'm sick to my back teeth of this self loathing generalization. And as for your delight at the prospect of German rule, has it perhaps escaped your notice, given how insistent the Germans are that the Irish public bare the burden of the gambling debts of the Irish banks and repay their reckless German lenders, that German rule might not be as particularly benevolent as you imagine? They are already behaving like the British landlords of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm sick to my back teeth of this self loathing generalization. And as for your delight at the prospect of German rule, has it perhaps escaped your notice, given how insistent the Germans are that the Irish public bare the burden of the gambling debts of the Irish banks and repay their reckless German lenders, that German rule might not be as particularly benevolent as you imagine? They are already behaving like the British landlords of old.

The UK and US have more exposure but for some reason the Germans get blamed. Lenihan introduced the guarantee against Dept. of Finance advice and went on a solo run based on an opinion from David McWilliams. Once it came it was always going to be difficult to get out of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement