Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a black santa

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i seen a black santa after he came down the chimney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A Nigerian santa would be great. Send him your bank account number and sort code and he'll deposit money into your account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

My youngest sister was terrified of Santa as a kid. Every year we would go and get the family shot taken with santa, and every year she'd be either looking freaked or howling... I don't know why my mum bothered. I suppose so down the line my sister wouldn't say 'hey, why aren't I in any Santa photos?' :D

Another thing, I grew up in Sydney and as a kid we never questioned the fact we never had snow on Christmas day, we just thought one day it would happen :D last time it snowed in Sydney was 1901 :D

:(Turkish family?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

xsiborg wrote: »
    Dudess wrote: »
    No?

As I expected, there's searching here for political correctness gone mad - of course.

Nobody is saying to get rid of white Santa, just that there's no harm in a black Santa if the question of it arises, seeing as there are quite a few black people here now. People ascribe their own traits to mythical characters - that's the beauty of them. Even the original St Nick wasn't Scandinavian, he was from Asia Minor - Turkey now. Far, far from Lapland.
    Santa's suit wasn't red originally either.

absolutely agree with you here Dudess, but i think what some people are saying here is that well, let it happen NATURALLY, dont force it and make an issue of it. i have absolutely no doubt now that the media are already scouring up and down the country for "ooohh lookeeee here, we's gots a black santy, how progressive are we?" nonsense.

i mean, really, if advocates of equality push every little minor thing, like the need for an ethnically appropriate distribution of a character from mainly a christian background, then you are going to upset muslims and all sorts who will also want "equality", you cannot have 50/50 representation in a society where ethnic representation is not 50/50, no to mention all the other minority groups that will want equal as opposed to proportionate representation.

give society a chance to EVOLVE really is what im saying, dont just FORCE people to intergrate, because that only builds resentment in both groups that you are trying to force together, further driving them apart with mistrust and disrespect for each other.
    I agree, but this thread doesn't appear to have been started with the intention of getting offended on others' behalf - it's just a logical step, an evolutionary one like you say. The people acting outraged by PC gone mad (in their imagination) are saying far sillier stuff with all their strawmans.
    It's not an Ivana Bacik quota type proposal.

Santa is not real

There, I said it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Why does snow always have to be white?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

xsiborg wrote: »
    No?

As I expected, there's searching here for political correctness gone mad - of course.

Nobody is saying to get rid of white Santa, just that there's no harm in a black Santa if the question of it arises, seeing as there are quite a few black people here now. People ascribe their own traits to mythical characters - that's the beauty of them. Even the original St Nick wasn't Scandinavian, he was from Asia Minor - Turkey now. Far, far from Lapland.
    Santa's suit wasn't red originally either.

absolutely agree with you here Dudess, but i think what some people are saying here is that well, let it happen NATURALLY, dont force it and make an issue of it. i have absolutely no doubt now that the media are already scouring up and down the country for "ooohh lookeeee here, we's gots a black santy, how progressive are we?" nonsense.

i mean, really, if advocates of equality push every little minor thing, like the need for an ethnically appropriate distribution of a character from mainly a christian background, then you are going to upset muslims and all sorts who will also want "equality", you cannot have 50/50 representation in a society where ethnic representation is not 50/50, no to mention all the other minority groups that will want equal as opposed to proportionate representation.

give society a chance to EVOLVE really is what im saying, dont just FORCE people to intergrate, because that only builds resentment in both groups that you are trying to force together, further driving them apart with mistrust and disrespect for each other.
    I agree, but this thread doesn't appear to have been started with the intention of getting offended on others' behalf - it's just a logical step, an evolutionary one like you say. The people acting outraged by PC gone mad (in their imagination) are saying far sillier stuff with all their strawmans.
    It's not an Ivana Bacik quota type proposal.

posting on mobile so please bear with me, (painful!) but the reason i earlier alluded to the fact that santa was a christian figure is that it hadnt anything to do with his color as such, but moreso to do with the religious aspect (religion, i know, clutching at straws relating santa to the birth of jesus, but i just mean in the christian sense), but anyway, the point i was leading onto is that any of the black people that I personally know, they're all moslem, (muslim?), so i just wonder- is the point itself moot? there's the reason right there, moslems dont believe in a santa claus, so therefore why would they bother trying to emulate or integrate into what is for the most part a mainly westernised tradition?
    in saying that, however, and this is why i mentioned the evolution of society- i do remember an occasion where it was close to christmas, hell it was last year actually, and i went out to visit a black moslem friend of mine, now i knew from before that he was a moslem, so when i saw the seven foot christmas tree in the living room i was a little taken aback, i turned and queried- 'whats with the tree? i thought ye dont celebrate christmas?', 'ah' he said, 'when in ireland, sometimes we like to join in the fun too'... i thought it was a pretty nice sentiment... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Also why is James Bond always played by a man? How come Puss In Boots is never a dog? Why are Leprechauns always short for that matter, something wrong with tall people, huh?

I am outraged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

What about the Sami people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people indigenous people who inhabit Sweden, Norway, Finland and Russia. You do realise that Santa was dreamed up by the Coca Cola company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

Images of Santa Claus were further popularized through Haddon Sundblom’s depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company’s Christmas advertising in the 1930s.[8][30] The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company or that Santa wears red and white because they are the colors used to promote the Coca-Cola brand.[31] Historically, Coca-Cola was not the first soft drink company to utilize the modern image of Santa Claus in its advertising—White Rock Beverages had already used a red and white Santa to sell mineral water in 1915 and then in advertisements for its ginger ale in 1923.[32][33][34] In fact, Santa Claus had already appeared in red and white on the cover of Puck magazine at the start of the century.

You sure? I always figured they invented the red and white santa but now I see it was white rock beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Meh, small country problems.

In India, all Santas are brown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

J. Marston wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've only seen black Santa in movies on the Internet. The mother was always pleased to find him coming down the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

I thought the Coca Cola thing was the red suit?

Apparently an Urban Myth according to somebody on the Right Hook a while back...She was some writer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

lol wahtd de reindeers be called? Blonner, Blixen, Bludolph...etc.

...Blasher, Blancer...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If After Hours has taught me anything, it's that a black Santa would never work in Dublin, sure he'd never know where he was going...

Uh...Blblitzen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Santa should be female.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

donutface wrote: »
    Op with less than 1% of Irelands population being of African descent, it wouldn't be equal opportunity at all ;)

"We are the 99%" Lets occupy Santa's grotto

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

hondasam wrote: »
    Santa should be female.
    and Mr. Claus should be a stay at home Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

and Mr. Claus should be a stay at home Dad.

Does he have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Does he have children?
    of course!!
    They make the toys during the year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Santa should be female.

Fair enough.
    Seeing as he/she isn't real anyway.

But if I wanna build a snowman this year - it will be a snowman.

Not a snowperson as the PC brigade call them now.

And my snowman will most definitely be white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

The problem is that a black santa would come down the chimney and TAKE the feckin presents. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Musical Interlude...

For the times we're in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Black Santa is alive & well in Dublin :D

Click: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28244036@N03/4215746446/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Custardpi wrote: »
    Instead of having a Black Santa (which as others have pointed out wouldn't make sense given his Nordic origins) why not have a "Black Peter" as well as the white Santa? Would be great fun for the kids & would help to promote racial harmony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

Blackface, awesome!
    A lot of African immigrants would probably love to bring their kids to a black Santa. They would have been raised with the idea of Santa being black and would have brought up their kids with the same thought. They'd hardly have a white fella flown in as Santa in Africa. It's not really an issue of them demanding a black Santa I'd imagine considering Santa is based on St. Nicolas. A white Germanic/Dutch/Greek saint or whatever he was. It's just what's relative to a kids upbringing based on their environment. For me Santa was Latino when I was a kid until a certain age.

Sure today's image of Santa is largely down to coca cola and some cartoonist. So if it can be altered for capitalism. Surely it can be altered for race.

You're assuming that they'd be interested in bringing their kids to a Santa at all, not all African people are Christian and Santa Claus is a product of a Christian celebration
    Scruffles wrote: »
    its a tradition that belongs to the stereotypes of santa isnt it.

anyone who is genuinely black [ie,not trolling to kick up a racial clash] and want their kids to celebrate a traditional alternative winter festival to christmas shoud celebrate kwanzaa instead,it sounds much more interesting than christmas anyway as it has a connection to people of today.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

Zwanzaa is an AFRICAN AMERICAN holiday NOT a black holiday, it's not celebrated outside the US and most black people in the US don't celebrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BaBaBluesheep

I think the man in the green mile (whats his name?) would make the perfect black santa..all the black/white/purple/pink/yellow/grey/caramel kids would be quivering in their boots at the sight of him and behave well for their parents until they hit puberty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Santa Claus. He was a 4th century Greek Christian bishop of Myra, now in Turkey.
    He only works out of the North Pole, probably a non domiciliary tax loophole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement