Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a black santa

Options
  • 04-12-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

How come you never see a black santa

Wouldn't it be great to see a department store in this country take the initiative by being the very first to have one... "equal opportunities" and all that.

and who says santa has to be white anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Santa is from the North Pole/Lapland. Neither place would produce people with that colour skin pigmentation.

A better question is why is Jesus always caucasian when he would not have been in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

It's never gonna happen In Ireland and for a good reason..

We dont have any fcuking department stores. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wish there was a black santa, they could play smooth jazz in the grotto and he could call me a 'Jive Turkey'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Incase 'he' might scare the kids maybe ?............I just think every one is used to a white santa, a black one would just really confused them, maybe asking parents is he really black or white....white santa got there first so id imagine it will stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Do some people have a problem visiting a white Santa or something? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Remmy wrote: »

So what are Cleary's & Arnotts then? Is "department store" an Americanism? What's the correct Hiberno-English term?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

phasers wrote: »
    I wish there was a black santa, they could play smooth jazz in the grotto and he could call me a 'Jive Turkey'

More like gangsta rap and probobally call you cracker and try sell you drugs rather than ask you what you wanted for christmas:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

> insert guinness related joke here <

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

It's never gonna happen In Ireland and for a good reason..

Debenhams
    Arnotts
    Brown Thomas
    Clerys
    Shaws (almost nationwide)

Etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Op with less than 1% of Irelands population being of African descent, it wouldn't be equal opportunity at all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Instead of having a Black Santa (which as others have pointed out wouldn't make sense given his Nordic origins) why not have a "Black Peter" as well as the white Santa? Would be great fun for the kids & would help to promote racial harmony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Do some people have a problem visiting a white Santa or something? :confused:
    I don't see anything indicating that on this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Dudess wrote: »

Post No. 1 : "and who says Santa has to be white anyway". Imagine if it were the other way around? What's that I hear echoing in the background........."racism"?!:)

Santa is from the North Pole/Lapland. Neither place would produce people with that colour skin pigmentation.

A better question is why is Jesus always caucasian when he would not have been in real life.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

donutface wrote: »
    Op with less than 1% of Irelands population being of African descent, it wouldn't be equal opportunity at all ;)

thats not the point it doesn't matter how many they are, everyone is suppose to get a fair crack of the whip

and if a black man was to get turned down on the basis of the colour of his skin...wouldn't that be classed as racial discrimination???

Freddie59 wrote: »

Post No. 1 : "and who says Santa has to be white anyway". Imagine if it were the other way around? What's that I hear echoing in the background........."racism"?!:)
    Didn't indicate that anyone has a problem with visiting a white Santa though - just making the point that a mythical character can be what people want it to be.
    The question I quoted looked like trying to find racism where there isn't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

That would be a eccumencial matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

this is why santa isint BLACK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Well St.Nicholas was Danish and thats where santa comes from (watch santa claus the movie on tv3 today:pac:)

On another note my son was watching the Dora xmas special and they had a Latino santa the world has gone mad
    Insert racial slur here

Well St.Nicholas was Danish and thats where santa comes from (watch santa claus the movie on tv3 today:pac:)

On another note my son was watching the Dora xmas special and they had a Latino santa the world has gone mad
    Insert racial slur here
    How the hell has the world gone mad? It's a kids show! In Latin America Santa is quite likely to be Latino, seeing as there aren't many Aryan dudes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

A lot of African immigrants would probably love to bring their kids to a black Santa. They would have been raised with the idea of Santa being black and would have brought up their kids with the same thought. They'd hardly have a white fella flown in as Santa in Africa. It's not really an issue of them demanding a black Santa I'd imagine considering Santa is based on St. Nicolas. A white Germanic/Dutch/Greek saint or whatever he was. It's just what's relative to a kids upbringing based on their environment. For me Santa was Latino when I was a kid until a certain age.

Sure today's image of Santa is largely down to coca cola and some cartoonist. So if it can be altered for capitalism. Surely it can be altered for race.

Didn't indicate that anyone has a problem with visiting a white Santa though - just making the point that a mythical character can be what people want it to be.

Ah, I wouldn't necessarily agree D. I think it was just a valid point being raised really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

duh!:rolleyes:
    Mr Magners wrote: »
    Debenhams
    Arnotts
    Brown Thomas
    Clerys
    Shaws (almost nationwide)

Etc...

:cool: (feeling embarrassed Remmy? you should be)

A lot of African immigrants would probably love to bring their kids to a black Santa. They would have been raised with the idea of Santa being black and would have brought up their kids with the same thought. They'd hardly have a white fella flown in as Santa in Africa. It's not really an issue of them demanding a black Santa I'd imagine considering Santa is based on St. Nicolas. A white Germanic saint. It's just what's relative to a kids upbringing based on their environment. For me Santa was Latino when I was a kid until a certain age.

Sure today's image of Santa is largely down to coca cola. So if it can be altered for capitalism. Surely it can be altered for race.
    I thought the Coca Cola thing was the red suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Racist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

A lot of African immigrants would probably love to bring their kids to a black Santa. They would have been raised with the idea of Santa being black and would have brought up their kids with the same thought. They'd hardly have a white fella flown in as Santa in Africa. It's not really an issue of them demanding a black Santa I'd imagine considering Santa is based on St. Nicolas. A white Germanic saint. It's just what's relative to a kids upbringing based on their environment. For me Santa was Latino when I was a kid until a certain age.

Sure today's image of Santa is largely down to coca cola. So if it can be altered for capitalism. Surely it can be altered for race.
    I thought the Coca Cola thing was the red suit?

Yeah I edited it. Left out the cartoonist that created the image part.

Freddie59 wrote: »

Ah, I wouldn't necessarily agree D. I think it was just a valid point being raised really.
    Nobody said anything about having a problem visiting a White Santa.
    Wasn't St Nicholas originally from Turkey?

How the hell has the world gone mad? It's a kids show! In Latin America Santa is quite likely to be Latino, seeing as there aren't many Aryan dudes around.

Sarcasm doesnt work well on forums :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Instead of giving presents he just takes presents and instead of leaving him milk and carrots you leave him kool aid and watermelon

• Advertisement

Nobody said anything about having a problem visiting a White Santa.
    Wasn't St Nicholas originally from Turkey?

Pre islam turkey? they would all be white then.

Advertisement