Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a black santa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Where's all the Finland, Denmark stuff coming from?

Saint Nicholas was from where Turkey is now as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

fryup wrote: »
    thats not the point it doesn't matter how many they are, everyone is suppose to get a fair crack of the whip

and if a black man was to get turned down on the basis of the colour of his skin...wouldn't that be classed as racial discrimination???

I absolutely agree with you - that would be racial discrimination.

But for a store to go out and look for a Black man to say "We have Irelands first Black Santa!" is just as racially discriminating - if I went and applied for that job I would be also be discriminated against on basis of colour.

Thus looking for one in the name of equal opportunity is anything but equal, you are excluding 99% of the population to go after the 1%.

Let the market take care of it, if there are enough people demanding a black santa and enough black people applying to be santa then one will fall into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Brings a whole new meaning to Ho Ho Ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

op would you cop on. why does everything have to be so pc. we are in ireland where we believe that santa is white. why should a store hire a black santa when the majority of the country believe in a white fat man.

why dont you want a mexican, chinese, indian or any other nationality, just a black santa. ah sure why not have nelson mandela played by colin farrell ( yeah i know he's a **** actor) when there is a film shown over here about him so us white folk feel included.

ps i am aware santa is not real and that is a bit over the top compairing the 2 but feck it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I wonder if there was a black santa would I have gotten that bike I wanted.

The white fat fkuc never gave me anything I wanted....I hate christmas...Bah Fukcen Humbug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

polod wrote: »
    Incase 'he' might scare the kids maybe ?............I just think every one is used to a white santa, a black one would just really confused them, maybe asking parents is he really black or white....white santa got there first so id imagine it will stay that way.
    The kids would get over the skin colour in the first few seconds and get on with their long list of presents. Christmas is about greed and receiving. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

why isnt santa a blind, deaf, black, islamic, muslim, lesbian dwarf with no arms or legs and a wheelchair for a sleigh?

im sure i missed out on a few minorities that have bigger things to worry about than being put out for the sake of being put out or literally go searching for things to be put out about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Santa is from the North Pole/Lapland. Neither place would produce people with that colour skin pigmentation.

A better question is why is Jesus always caucasian when he would not have been in real life.

His skin wasn't very dark; and stop using Caucasian, that's only people from the Caucasus. No-one calls Asians "Mongol types" any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

goose2005 wrote: »
    ........... No-one calls Asians "Mongol types" any more.

Around here, ye wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Santa is from the North Pole/Lapland. Neither place would produce people with that colour skin pigmentation.

A better question is why is Jesus always caucasian when he would not have been in real life.

What about the Sami people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people indigenous people who inhabit Sweden, Norway, Finland and Russia. You do realise that Santa was dreamed up by the Coca Cola company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Will his beard be black as well

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

its a tradition that belongs to the stereotypes of santa isnt it.

anyone who is genuinely black [ie,not trolling to kick up a racial clash] and want their kids to celebrate a traditional alternative winter festival to christmas shoud celebrate kwanzaa instead,it sounds much more interesting than christmas anyway as it has a connection to people of today.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

if want kids to celebrate christmas with a black santa then there is no reason why someone black such as their dad,or if they arent black; someone from the black community cannot be arranged to be a santa,book a community hall or youth club for cheap and arrange it within the black community,charge a bit of money to pay for the hall and a cheap gift- sorted.

but does this not send a bad message to kids?
    on a limited scale,physicaly changing the origins of santa to suit different minority groups...:confused:
    a better example to set woud be to show that people shoud be proud of their race and not hide it,itd be far more confusing as a european kid to be taken to see a black santa then see all the white santas around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It makes no difference what colour Santa is. This is what some of you dudes will be getting from him this year anyway:

http://image.blingee.com/images15/content/output/000/000/000/4bc/335103597_443981.gif?4

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

More like gangsta rap and probobally call you cracker and try sell you drugs rather than ask you what you wanted for christmas:pac::pac::pac::pac:

maybe the kids asked for drugs for christmas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Urgh ... this world is getting the "WE HAVE TO BE EQUAL IN EVERYWAY" mentality a little too much :rolleyes: I think its going a tad too far.

Santa is seen as an old caucasian man over here. Sure lets have all the santa's black. They can apply to the what, 5% of african people over here? ... screw the rest?

geez, thats next? that we cant refer to the colour "black" as it might be offensive? ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

No, leave poor Santa alone he is a fat white man with a white beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Just wondering...if Santa was black, would you still take the presents? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Op has a point.

I have a 6 year old and as far as he's concerned the Santas that we visit in Ireland are just Santas helpers, most people I know say the same to their kids. You have to considering how crap some of the Santas actually are in this country.

If a lot of kids think they are just helpers then why wouldn't there be black helpers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

stovelid wrote: »
    Brings a whole new meaning to Ho Ho Ho.

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

goose2005 wrote: »
    His skin wasn't very dark; and stop using Caucasian, that's only people from the Caucasus. No-one calls Asians "Mongol types" any more.

As dark as your average Palestinian..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

My youngest sister was terrified of Santa as a kid. Every year we would go and get the family shot taken with santa, and every year she'd be either looking freaked or howling... I don't know why my mum bothered. I suppose so down the line my sister wouldn't say 'hey, why aren't I in any Santa photos?' :D

Another thing, I grew up in Sydney and as a kid we never questioned the fact we never had snow on Christmas day, we just thought one day it would happen :D last time it snowed in Sydney was 1901 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i wanna hear my santa talkin like this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

The Quanzabot will be along in about 157 years to fill this role requirement if the holy doctrine of Futurama is anything to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

woodoo wrote: »
    No, leave poor Santa alone he is a fat white man with a white beard.

Racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Urgh ... this world is getting the "WE HAVE TO BE EQUAL IN EVERYWAY" mentality a little too much :rolleyes: I think its going a tad too far.

Santa is seen as an old caucasian man over here. Sure lets have all the santa's black. They can apply to the what, 5% of african people over here? ... screw the rest?

geez, thats next? that we cant refer to the colour "black" as it might be offensive? ...
    No?

As I expected, there's searching here for political correctness gone mad - of course.

Nobody is saying to get rid of white Santa, just that there's no harm in a black Santa if the question of it arises, seeing as there are quite a few black people here now. People ascribe their own traits to mythical characters - that's the beauty of them. Even the original St Nick wasn't Scandinavian, he was from Asia Minor - Turkey now. Far, far from Lapland.
    Santa's suit wasn't red originally either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd also like to see
    Chinese Santa
    Arab Santa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Dudess wrote: »
    No?

As I expected, there's searching here for political correctness gone mad - of course.

Nobody is saying to get rid of white Santa, just that there's no harm in a black Santa if the question of it arises, seeing as there are quite a few black people here now. People ascribe their own traits to mythical characters - that's the beauty of them. Even the original St Nick wasn't Scandinavian, he was from Asia Minor - Turkey now. Far, far from Lapland.
    Santa's suit wasn't red originally either.

absolutely agree with you here Dudess, but i think what some people are saying here is that well, let it happen NATURALLY, dont force it and make an issue of it. i have absolutely no doubt now that the media are already scouring up and down the country for "ooohh lookeeee here, we's gots a black santy, how progressive are we?" nonsense.

i mean, really, if advocates of equality push every little minor thing, like the need for an ethnically appropriate distribution of a character from mainly a christian background, then you are going to upset muslims and all sorts who will also want "equality", you cannot have 50/50 representation in a society where ethnic representation is not 50/50, no to mention all the other minority groups that will want equal as opposed to proportionate representation.

give society a chance to EVOLVE really is what im saying, dont just FORCE people to intergrate, because that only builds resentment in both groups that you are trying to force together, further driving them apart with mistrust and disrespect for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The same way you don't see an Arabic Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The coolest Santa ever. He gives good presents too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Santa is seen as an old caucasian man over here.
    woodoo wrote: »
    No, leave poor Santa alone he is a fat white man
    Careful with the ageist, fattist, sexist comments. Santa should be a 6 year old skinny black girl.

The people advertising are in effect advertising for actors, so I imagine they can discriminate all they want, just like film makers would.

As for the coke thing http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

Advertisement