Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Republican campaign justifiable?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

LordSutch wrote: »
    And you are talking from your side . . . .

Either way, the wounds are still raw, and the subject matter is bound to get peoples blood boiling, bombs were planted & people were murdered in the name of Irish people, many people were blown to pieces, and it was a sustained attack that had no mandate from the Irish people either, so I don't blame the banned poster for getting carried away, I blame the subject matter of this thread for inciting people.

Do you get so wound up about loyalist or British violence? Or the 100,000 dead Iraqi's killed by American and British forces so they could give the $5 trillion oil in Kurdistan to Texan oil companies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well to be fair, the whole premise of this thread is insulting!......

....to you, a self declared unionist.
    I don't blame the banned poster for getting carried away!......

The person thats been insulting Irish people generally in this thread and others. Thats nice.
    I'm not sure that hurtful threads like this one should be allowed to rub salt into the wounds. .

Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Either way, the wounds are still raw, and the subject matter is bound to get peoples blood boiling, bombs were planted & people were murdered in the name of Irish people, many people were blown to pieces, and it was a sustained attack that had no mandate from the Irish people either, so I don't blame the banned poster for getting carried away, I blame the subject matter of this thread for inciting people.

Far from getting carried away, I thought the banned poster came across as very considered and totally in control of his emotions when making his insulting comments! The fact that he made them in these circumstances speaks volumes for the person in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think said poster's mission was to wind up as many 'paddys' as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Move on sir. the past is gone, we no longer need to take 'sides'.

You blame the subject matter - not the poster. Ah now - I'll say no more other than thats the problem with society these days .... some people arent willing to take responsibility and prefer to blame inanimate objects like internet threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I don't blame the banned poster for getting carried away, I blame the subject matter of this thread for inciting people.

You have it bass ackwards.

That poster was the one doing the inciting and as has been pointed out to you, rather than getting 'carried away', he seemed well rooted in his disconnect and bilious prejudice.

The banned poster displayed exactly the type of attitude, when held and expressed by those of an anti-Cathoilc persuasion in the the NI statelet, that contributed to and sustained the conflict in NI.

Anti-Irish.
    Anti-Catholic
    Self-righteous.
    Deluded.
    Paranoid.
    Condescending.

Tragically it is that type of attitude that gave physical force Republicans impetus i.e. 'there is no talking to these people'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

I don't blame the banned poster for getting carried away, I blame the subject matter of this thread for inciting people.

You have it bass ackwards.

That poster was the one doing the inciting and as has been pointed out to you, rather than getting 'carried away', he seemed well rooted in his disconnect and bilious prejudice.

The banned poster displayed exactly the type of attitude, when held and expressed by those of an anti-Cathoilc persuasion in the the NI statelet, that contributed to and sustained the conflict in NI.

Anti-Irish.
    Anti-Catholic
    Self-righteous.
    Deluded.
    Paranoid.
    Condescending.

Tragically it is that type of attitude that gave physical force Republicans impetus i.e. 'there is no talking to these people'.

So what your saying is trendyvicer attitude justifies physical force republicanism? 'theres no talking to these people, so let's kill them
    Instead,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Do you get so wound up about loyalist or British violence? Or the 100,000 dead Iraqi's killed by American and British forces so they could give the $5 trillion oil in Kurdistan to Texan oil companies?

I know your post was asking someone else, but my answer is yes.

What's telling is your automatic assumption that we wouldn't - when people take illogical and contrived sides, they rarely manage to get their head around the fact that some people don't take sides, and see crime and murder for what it is - crime and murder.

Ironically, even when someone points out the above, the discussion twists from ousting Saddam to ousting someone like Hitler.....in fact, anything to avoid admitting that support of / excusing the IRA includes being OK with cold-blooded murder of fellow Irishmen, women and children.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

What's telling is your automatic assumption that we wouldn't - when people take illogical and contrived sides, they rarely manage to get their head around the fact that some people don't take sides, and see crime and murder for what it is - crime and murder.

Ironically, even when someone points out the above, the discussion twists from ousting Saddam to ousting someone like Hitler.....in fact, anything to avoid admitting that support of / excusing the IRA includes being OK with cold-blooded murder of fellow Irishmen, women and children.

Any criticism from somebody who can't evven layout their own position can be easily ignored.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

No I've twisted it towards the killing of innocent people by armies wearing uniform and dropping bombs on people. You can try and take it to extremes but my points stands. The killing of innocent people by armies who wear uniforms is usually okay in their eyes so I can't take their outrage seriously.

It was violence that won our freedom, very harsh and brutal violence but you wouldn't think it in Ireland. They were lovely chaps who wouldn't hurt a fly so they wouldn't.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Any criticism from somebody who can't evven layout their own position can be easily ignored.

I think I've laid out my position quite clearly in many other threads. I'm a republican who sees no difference to the IRA of then to further back. They both killed soldiers, policemen and anybody who got in their way, even a 14 year old boy shot in the back before the 1916 Rising started. I don't have rose tinted specs on about the past, unlike most other Irish people.

The British created the condition that made that conflict possible going back to the Government of Ireland Act of 1920 to 1969 and so on. People in the 26 counties wouldn't have sat back and being treated like that under British rule yet it was "tut, tut aren't they terrible" when the nationalists in the North finally had enough.

I think I've laid out my position quite clearly in many other threads. ..........

I was referring to Mr Byrne....
    see here for context.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056471458&page=51

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I think I've laid out my position quite clearly in many other threads. I'm a republican who sees no difference to the IRA of then to further back. They both killed soldiers, policemen and anybody who got in their way, even a 14 year old boy shot in the back before the 1916 Rising started. I don't have rose tinted specs on about the past, unlike most other Irish people.

The British created the condition that made that conflict possible going back to the Government of Ireland Act of 1920 to 1969 and so on. People in the 26 counties wouldn't have sat back and being treated like that under British rule yet it was "tut, tut aren't they terrible" when the nationalists in the North finally had enough.

Must be great to have these principles and still take the Queens shilling ;)

Must be great to have these principles and still take the Queens shilling ;)

I have nothing against Scotland or any other country. I don't see that how that takes away from my political beliefs? How bigoted of you to say that.

PS, I would for a large US company in their international department, I've never taken a penny from Her Majesty, but as a professional benefits sponger that she is, like all the other 'royal' families around the world, she certainly has taken a few quid from me.

I have nothing against Scotland or any other country. I don't see that how that takes away from my political beliefs? How bigoted of you to say that.

PS, I would for a large US company in their international department, I've never taken a penny from Her Majesty, but as a professional benefits sponger that she is, like all the other 'royal' families around the world, she certainly has taken a few quid from me.

Nothing Bigoted about it. You stay in the UK you advocate violence against The British army you pay tax towards the upkeep of said army you are paid in Sterling I presume so you are taking in the Queens shilling you are just another example of what Scotland doesn't need

junder wrote: »
    So what your saying is trendyvicer attitude justifies physical force republicanism? 'theres no talking to these people, so let's kill them
    Instead,

Not his attitude in and of itself. An attitude can't harm anyone.

It's when the holder of that type of attitude is armed and has no problem expressing his attitude by beating and murdering people who seek nothing other than equality - well then yes - there obviously is no talking to them.

If you look earlier in the thread I have said that there is good evidence that the setting up of the UDR had some noble intent. It was a botched job from the start though when they allowed people who's only intentions were anti-Catholic and indeed, as is evidenced, opportunistic subversion.

This discussion is beginning to follow it's own tracks circularly.

Nothing Bigoted about it. You stay in the UK you advocate violence against The British army you pay tax towards the upkeep of said army you are paid in Sterling I presume so you are taking in the Queens shilling you are just another example of what Scotland doesn't need

It's like I disagree with the US on their funding of Israel, should I take my holidays elsewhere as some sort of political statement?

I moved here because I met a girl here, end of. Should I not follow my heart because of Britain's foreign policy. How pathetic and that was the best you could do with the post from me you quoted? I expect nothing less from a stereotypical Rangers fans.

I work for an international company and contribute to society and pay my way, unlike your Queen who does pay tax but it's basically on her benefits.:D

It's like I disagree with the US on their funding of Israel, should I take my holidays elsewhere as some sort of political statement?

I moved here because I met a girl here, end of. Should I not follow my heart because of Britain's foreign policy. How pathetic and that was the best you could do with the post from me you quoted? I expect nothing less from a stereotypical Rangers fans.

I work for an international company and contribute to society and pay my way, unlike your Queen who does pay tax but it's basically on her benefits.:D

Tell me how am I a stereotypical Rangers fan :confused: you know nothing about me

Tell me how am I a stereotypical Rangers fan :confused: you know nothing about me

You make a political point about something and some Rangers fan comes on because you life in Scotland with "what ya mean you take Her Majesty's shilling". I despair:rolleyes:

You make a political point about something and some Rangers fan comes on because you life in Scotland with "what ya mean you take Her Majesty's shilling". I despair:rolleyes:

You talk nonsense you still know nothing about me and you thoughts on me are probably so wide of the mark its not true

So unless you have anything more sensible to say to me go back to telling everyone how the killing of innocents is acceptable

• Advertisement

So unless you have anything more sensible to say to me go back to telling everyone how the killing of innocents is acceptable

That's a very black and white question. The killing of innocents is always regrettable, the deliberate killing of innocents is always unjustifiable.

My point was people are selective in their outrage about the killing of innocents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Lets leave the personal stuff out of it please.

I will have no hesitation in closing this thread (which has for the most part been grand) if any of the same old crapola creeps in.

Cheers

DrG

That's a very black and white question. The killing of innocents is always regrettable, the deliberate killing of innocents is always unjustifiable.

My point was people are selective in their outrage about the killing of innocents.

Your right in that no matter what side does the killing it is wrong

Instead,

Not his attitude in and of itself. An attitude can't harm anyone.

It's when the holder of that type of attitude is armed and has no problem expressing his attitude by beating and murdering people who seek nothing other than equality - well then yes - there obviously is no talking to them.

If you look earlier in the thread I have said that there is good evidence that the setting up of the UDR had some noble intent. It was a botched job from the start though when they allowed people who's only intentions were anti-Catholic and indeed, as is evidenced, opportunistic subversion.

This discussion is beginning to follow it's own tracks circularly.

As hard as it is to understand the 'other side' you would find that the very dame reasons that led young republicans to join the ira led young loyalists to join similar armed groups be they udr or uvf moreover having members of your familys murdered and in many cases witnessing them being murdered could lead somebody to cross the line. Republicans justify murdering members if udr ruc for a myriad of different reasons but the fatal flaw in thier logic is that the unionist community saw it asa direct assult on thier community. A dead British soldier maybe nothing more then a 'good hit' to a republican (including many on this site) but to us they were a murdered father, brother, uncle, cousin and in dome cases a murdered mother, sister, aunt so yes the results of these actions led some people down dark paths.

MOD SNIP

Let's not speak Ill of the banned and all that

Cheers

DrG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As hard as it is to understand the 'other side' you would find that the very dame reasons that led young republicans to join the ira led young loyalists to join similar armed groups be they udr or uvf moreover having members of your familys murdered and in many cases witnessing them being murdered could lead somebody to cross the line. Republicans justify murdering members if udr ruc for a myriad of different reasons but the fatal flaw in thier logic is that the unionist community saw it asa direct assult on thier community. A dead British soldier maybe nothing more then a 'good hit' to a republican (including many on this site) but to us they were a murdered father, brother, uncle, cousin and in dome cases a murdered mother, sister, aunt so yes the results of these actions led some people down dark paths.

For the record, believe I recognise trendy vicers tone and langauge. If I am correct them he is somebody that has already been banned of this site on several occasions as well as being banned or pulse. I dont know how he gets around the ip ban but he seems to resurface every few months. If he is the person I believe him to be then he us not actully from northern Ireland or contected to it or loyalism for that matter, he hails from london

Agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

For the record, believe I recognise trendy vicers tone and langauge. If I am correct them he is somebody that has already been banned of this site on several occasions as well as being banned or pulse. I dont know how he gets around the ip ban but he seems to resurface every few months. If he is the person I believe him to be then he us not actully from northern Ireland or contected to it or loyalism for that matter, he hails from london
    Agree with this Junder. If people condone the PIRA, then they can't moan about Michael Stone or other Loyalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Agree with this Junder. If people condone the PIRA, then they can't moan about Michael Stone or other Loyalists.

Not everybody moans about them, What i find here is that there is a continuous attack on republican violence as if there wasn't any other violence, be it loyalist or British Army .

realies wrote: »
    KeithAFC wrote: »

Not everybody moans about them, What i find here is that there is a continuous attack on republican violence as if there wasn't any other violence, be it loyalist or British Army .

This is an Irish site so of course the focus is going to be on tbe Irish side of things. And the whole 'yer but the british' is a weak argument

As hard as it is to understand the 'other side' you would find that the very dame reasons that led young republicans to join the ira led young loyalists to join similar armed groups be they udr or uvf moreover having members of your familys murdered and in many cases witnessing them being murdered could lead somebody to cross the line.

Well maybe they should have asked their leaders why they found themselves in that situation. Not that your painting of Loyalist paramilitaries as a reactionary force has any credibility.

The UVF and affiliates were up to mischief well before the IRA campaign developed momentum and at that time it wasn't due to any killing of their family members as you suggest.
    In March and April 1969, there were six bomb attacks on electricity and water infastructure targets, causing blackouts and water shortages. At first the attacks were blamed on the Irish Republican Army (IRA). In fact, it later emerged that members of the loyalist Ulster Protestant Volunteers (UPV) and Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) had carried out the bombings in an attempt to implicate the IRA, destabilise the Government and halt the reforms demanded by the Civil Rights movement and promised by Terence O'Neill

Chronology of the conflict: 1969. Conflict Archive on the Internet.

Also, it was anti-Catholic rioters who were trying to burn Catholics out of their homes, during calls for equality/civil rights, and did a fairly good job of it while being allowed to by the RUC.
    The most bloody rioting was in Belfast, where seven people were killed and hundreds more wounded. Scores of houses and businesses were burned-out, most of them owned by Catholics. In addition, thousands of families were driven from their homes. The RUC was accused of helping the loyalists and of failing to protect Catholic areas. Events in Belfast have been viewed by some as a pogrom against the minority Catholic and nationalist community.

Fields, Rona M. Northern Ireland: Society Under Siege. Transaction Publishers, 1977. p.19

Clearly it was the Catholic community in the North who were under siege.

Moreover, unlike Protestants, Catholics couldn't join the RUC, UDR and BA to protect their community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The killing of innocent people by armies who wear uniforms is usually okay in their eyes so I can't take their outrage seriously.

As I clearly stated : not in my eyes, so you can leave me out of that grouping or rethink your position.

So now that that angle has been debunked are you going to suddenly come up with another, different, reason not to take my outrage seriously, or will you stand over the reason that you outlined above ?

Advertisement