Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God is in the neurons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Zombrex wrote: »
    Ok, but perhaps to save the need to explain everything, can you confirm that you accept that not all theories on the natural world are correct?

No theory is correct, some provide more satisfactory explanations for our observations than others.

For in-discussion rigors sake, I’d use the term ‘perceived reality’ over ‘natural world’.

Our discussion focuses (or should focus first) on what allows us to extract satisfaction from our theories and why.

It is easy to establish that, experience teaches us that we have been wrong about our theories in the past. For example, I believed a girl I worked with liked and fancied me. I asked her out, she laughed and said not in a million years. This lead me to question why I initially believed that the girl I worked with liked and fancied me.

In order to look to theories (i.e. "things might not be as they seem and I need to investigate further"), something needs to cause you to question things being as they seem. Something about the reality must strike you as amiss (otherwise you can take things on face value) - but how do you get to that point?

In your example, you are assuming that she is saying what she means. You are also assuming that she is being consistent in what she says – that her saying "not in a million years" now was applicable at the time you formed the belief that she’d go out with you.

You are, in short, supposing that she is more or less like you. For if you said things you didn't mean then her saying "not in a million years" wouldn’t cause you to doubt your belief. In which case you’d have nothing striking you as amiss .. and you’d have no need to develop theories.

Assumptions about reality (e.g. people are like me: they say what they mean and they are consistent in their views) come before theories being formed. And it's the nature of those assumptions that determine whether this or that theory is going to strike you as 'satisfactory'.

Notice that the initial theory is not a blank canvas. I initial assert there is a man in the room. "A man" is a tier 2 theory, it is shaped by previous experience with men in the past.

If we were truly moving from tier 1 into tier 2 with no previous tier 2 experience then we would have no initial theory to begin with. We would simply suppose something was happening, but with no notion of what that was.

I agree.

I referred to your experience of men generally - against which this particular man is compared - as the ‘massed backdrop’. The reality as you generally perceive it (your experience with "men") is going to be a key element in deciding whether there is something amiss in this particular observation ("there appears to be a man in my room").

At this point I would summarize by suggesting that:

1) Assumptions about the reality are key to helping us decide whether something is amiss in that reality. Assume this way and that theory will be more satisfactory. Assume that way and that theory will be more satisfactory. The foundation of those assumptions needs looking at.

2) Reality as we generally experience it (the massed backdrop) is a component in our coming to conclusions about the place of a an individual observation in it. If that’s a good way to phrase it.

No, logic is being used as a tool, it is not an assertion that the more logical something is the more real it is. Logic is like a calculator, it can help you get the answer but it isn't the answer in of itself.

Fair enough, if semantical. The overarching query remains..
    Zombrex wrote:
    ..which (theory of reality) is more accurate or likely based on the logic of the methodology used to pick them.

You indicate logic a determining component in whether or not a methodology will help us establish the (accuracy/likelyhood of the) reality. How did we arrive at that conclusion about logic? I mean, in granting logic this power we need to be able to say on what basis we've done that.

Are we agreed that logic's place at the table is based solely on an assumption? That it "feels right" to grant it such power and we assume that because it feel right to us, we're justified in giving it the import we give it?

(we'll come later to where I think this 'feels right' notion stems from)

Correct, but you have it slightly backwards. The "a man in my room" is a theory explaining an observation that is itself based on previous experience.

This is the initial theory, it is not plucked from tier 1 but from previous experience in tier 2.

Even as something as basic as saying "something moving in my room" is plucked from previous experience in tier 2, since the difference between a still object and a moving object is something we only know from previous experience.

Okay.

We are not attempting to demonstrate the existence of reality. We are attempting to determine which of the theories about reality are the most accurate.

Okay.

It was the means whereby prediction came to be an indicator of theory-accuracy that interested me. I’m keen on focusing on these elemental components (logic, prediction) - I suspect that it is aspects of the operation of the reality itself which constructs the means whereby we establish the operation of the reality. It informs us how it works by being the way it is and that way seeming right to us. We don't/can't arrive at that conclusion independent of the way reality is.

This is what I was referring to in 'logic feels right' above. The suggested sequence would be something like this:

the massed backdrop of reality is inherently logical / predictable (irrespective of whether we were here to observe it) > this strikes us as being the case - logic/predictability resonate in us as being an indicator of realness > we then go to examine aspects of reality to see if they are predictable in the same way the overarching reality is (or strikes us as being) logical / predictable.

And so, reality as it is is what determines our theories being satisfactory. And if that reality is perceived one way then this theory will be satisfactory. And if reality is perceived that way then that theory will be satisfactory.

Sorry, who are "they" and "them" in that sentence?

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. We can leave it for the moment because the essential point is being made above about logic / prediction.

Well we only need to do that if you are disputing the existence of optical illusions. Are you doing that?

No. But I might dispute with you as to what is and what isn’t an optical illusion.

It might be sufficient for us to follow prediction and logic (and not optical illusions) to their source. If we find that:

- our sense of prediction and logic as useful tools stems from the way reality generally appears to work

- our assumptions (including assumptions about prediction and logic) are based on how reality generally appears to be

.. then we are subjects of that reality, not masters of it. It would be the nature of the massed reality as we perceive it which tells us what’s a good theory about individual aspects of reality that cause us to question them. And if the perception of two people are fundamentally different then so too the theories they find satisfactory.

So you, with some justification, abandon this theory. You conclude it is not your normal inner voice.

Ok, so we need a new theory. You seem to have gone straight to "Its God". While there is nothing wrong with that, that does not become the answer just because it is the next one you picked. I did not conclude it was an optical illusion just because I concluded there were problems with the "its a man" theory. The "its an optical illusion" theory also had to go through the same examination. And this is the bit you seem to have left out. Can you detail how "Its God" was examined.

Sure.

As I say, the point here isn’t to prove the existence of God since (as you say yourself) it's not the existence of reality we're looking at just theories about reality. I'm supposing he exists just like I suppose everything else does. It’s a fair question to ask how I concluded it was God in this case and not something else though.

The result of the command (for that is how it was structured) caused me carry on with what was now being rationally considered to be a pointless exercise. I’d ridden 80 miles with my gloves bungeed to the pillion seat. At some unknown point they’d fallen off. I was 10 miles into a backtrack search for them (embarked on irrationally :)).

“It’s dark. Turn back."

"There are whole swathes of road you can’t see. Turn back."

"The gloves are black leather, the road black tarmac. Turn back."

"They most likely fell off earlier than later. Turn back"

"Oncoming cars mean you can’t even look at the road – you’re driving a bike looking at the opposite side of the road you Clown. Turn back. Turn back."

Then:

“Don’t stop. Go on”.

A half a mile further up, there are the gloves in the middle of the road under a streetlight. Reasons for God?

The command had power. It overcame overwhelming and decisive rationalism.

The command didn’t bark, cajole, reason, beg, sound authoritative, threaten .. or do any other recognizable thing one would normally associated with commands. Only God commands and it is done solely because the command is issued. The usual means by which our commands are given weight aren’t needed by him.

I was a relatively new-born at the time and was experiencing God ‘all over the shop’ as it were. God attends to new-born-agains as parents do their new-borns. He attends to their every need: feeding them, changing their nappies, assuring at every turn and looking after the tiniest detail in their lives. In the context, it was a no-brainer.

Class. God operates with class. There is a neatness and fittingness and delicateness to things that just has a certain class about it.

Another story, briefly. My Dad had died and we were up at his place going through stuff just after the funeral. My elder sis (who isn’t a believer) is the uber-responsible one and was taking it on herself to organize paperwork: bank, bills, will etc. And she was stressing badly because Dad was a bit of an organized paper hoarder. And was an artist to boot – there where rolls and stacks and boxes of sketches and documents and even our childhood paintings .. all over his office, his studio, his garage. She’s sitting at a desk, head in hands crying about Dads death, the responsibility and about the particular straw at that time: the will she can’t find. And she suddenly gets: a command? an urge? a direction? She sits up, turns around in the chair to a bookcase behind her. On top of it are numerous rolls of what turns out to be sketches. She reaches for one roll, unfurls it and there, in the middle, is Dad’s will. She’s still an unbeliever, my sis. She’s coldly rational just like you are – to this day. But she would admit to this day that something happened then. Something that lay outside the normal, rational parameters.

My gloves just had that self-same touch of class.

Class is hard to pin down precisely: it has aspects of right intensity of touch, timing, nail-on-head-ism, achieving subtle things (such as a lesson about obedience in the case of my gloves). In the case of God, I find a breadth of class that I've not experienced humans as being capable of.

Can you detail how you arrived at the conclusion that God exists

I thought "Reality exists (God, people and the rest of it)" was a tier 1 assumption? We were looking at theories about reality, not at whether it exists or not.

To compare.

When you check an individual observation such as 'the man in your room' you are doing that against something considered fixed (people's assumed existence and the massed experience of how people are). You don't ask are the massed people real.

Similarily, I check an individual observation (such as 'don't stop, go on') against something considered fixed (God's assumed existence and the massed experience of how God is). I don't ask is God real.

If you want to open up the question of how I know the God I perceive exists then we'll have to open up the question of how you know the people you perceive are real. We'd be looking at massed backdrop - not at individual observations measured against the assumed massed backdrop

You haven't. You have taken half of what I said, but you have not realized that simply because we discount something (it is not a man in my room) we still require reason for replacing that with a different competing theory.

If for example I had concluded it was not a man in my room, but had no other theory to replaced it with (for example I did not know about optical illusions) then I would be left to conclude that I do not know what is happening.

This, it shouldn't really need to be said, is not a reason to simply insert any old theory in its place (its a witch! its a spirit! its the drink! I have a brain tumor!)

Once you have discarded one initial theory you are still left with a swirling mass of other competing alternative theories. To pluck one of them out requires a reason.

When I said I thought I’d “pulled things back” I was indicating what I figured was the correct zone of discussion at this point in proceedings. This place is at the interface of tier 1 and tier 2 - not so far downstream as you seem to be building your points.

Like, most of what you’re talking of takes the massed backdrop as a given (how people generally are is established) as well as tools such as logic and prediction - and utilizes them to assess a single observation (such as the man in your room). My 'pulling back' aims to examine the basis of the solid ground your supposedly standing on in order to carry out this assessment. From whence logic, prediction, the solid massed backdrop of people.

They aren't. They are precisely the same for discarding theories that fail the initial examinations, but we differ in how we replace these theories.

It remains to be seen whether our differing matters.

If it is the case that our perception of reality informs our evaluation of theories about aspects of that reality then our having different perceptions could be expected to produce a divergence in opinion as to what constitutes a fitting theory.

This, without our having to diverge in view about the place of logic or prediction or basis of our assumptions. I'm not supposing divergence about those core things at this time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Class. God operates with class. There is a neatness and fittingness and delicateness to things that just has a certain class about it.
    The christian deity is delicate?

I can't imagine what kind of smiley could convey the sense of disbelief I feel when reading that truly unreal statement.

robindch wrote: »
    The christian deity is delicate?

I can't imagine what kind of smiley could convey the sense of disbelief I feel when reading that truly unreal statement.

I know how you feel. To read a post of yours addressed to me which doesn't contain the word 'sophistry'...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Killing all the first borns. Classy guy.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Killing all the first borns. Classy guy.

He kills everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

He kills everybody.

The ultimate serial killer.

Isn't it about time God was brought to justice??

If you can read this, you're too close!

I know how you feel. To read a post of yours addressed to me which doesn't contain the word 'sophistry'...
    Identical to the sense I feel when reading one of yours which doesn't contain any :)

koth wrote: »
    Isn't it about time God was brought to justice??
    Philip Pullman's -- "His Dark Materials".

The ultimate serial killer.

Removals man would be better. You're only moving house afterall

Removals man would be better. You're only moving house afterall

That's worse, as we've gone being sentient beings that are murdered to furniture :eek:

• Advertisement

That's worse, as we've gone being sentient beings that are murdered to sentient furniture :eek:

FYP

:)

doesn't make it any better though. We're relegated to objects to be destroyed as the mood takes God.

doesn't make it any better though. We're relegated to objects to be destroyed as the mood takes God.

God killing you doesn't destroy you. It just takes you from this place in order that you can be put somewhere else. So long as that somewhere else is down to you*, you'll have to find another basis for objecting to God killing you.

*The Christian contention is that where you go is down to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It causes physical and emotional pain to you and your loved ones?

God killing you doesn't destroy you. It just takes you from this place in order that you can be put somewhere else. So long as that somewhere else is down to you*, you'll have to find another basis for objecting to God killing you.
    I'm opposed to murder as a general rule. I didn't realise people had to give a good reason for not wanting someone to kill them.
    *The Christian contention is that where you go is down to you.
    No it's not, the Christian contention is it's up to God. God decides where people go.

I'm opposed to murder as a general rule.

Murder is unrighteous killing. How can God be accused of unrighteous killing since he didn't contract to give us the life he gave us for a moment longer than he decides to give it to us?

Are you saying that because God gives us rules to govern our dealings with each other he is bound by them too?

That's a bit dotty!

I didn't realise people had to give a good reason for not wanting someone to kill them.

The discussion has to do with how God is wrong in his deciding to take life after the purpose for him giving it has been accomplished.

If you figured a good reason for his not taking it today is because you've got tickets for a great gig this evening then that's a good reason in your book. There isn't much point in discussing that though.

No it's not, the Christian contention is it's up to God. God decides where people go.

Then you need to bring your objection to Christians who hold to what you say they hold to. Your point doesn't float here.

Murder is unrighteous killing. How can God be accused of unrighteous killing since he didn't contract to give us the life he gave us for a moment longer than he decides to give it to us?

Are you saying that because God gives us rules to govern our dealings with each other he is bound by them too?

That's a bit dotty!
    That's usually what happens when people try to understand religion. It's gets dotty very quickly.

I just find it strange for someone to defend a God that willingly inflicts pain and suffering on his creations.

The discussion has to do with how God is wrong in his deciding to take life after the purpose for him giving it has been accomplished.

If you figured a good reason for his not taking it today is because you've got tickets for a great gig this evening then that's a good reason in your book. There isn't much point in discussing that though.
    I don't need to provide a reason. God needs to justify his killing of thousands on a daily basis.

Then you need to bring your objection to Christians who hold to what you say they hold to. Your point doesn't float here.
    It actually does, as I don't know of any Christian who says that a sinner can refuse to go to hell and instead choose heaven. And I'm guessing you don't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gitsum

When I said I thought I’d “pulled things back” I was indicating what I figured was the correct zone of discussion. This place is at the interface of tier 1 and tier 2.

Most of what you’re talking of takes the massed backdrop as a given (how people generally are) as well as tools such as logic and prediction - and utilizes them to assess a single observation (such as the man in your room). My pulling back aims to examine the basis of the solid ground we’re supposedly standing on in order to carry out this assessment.

I (Simtech) was reluctant to do this as it seemed to me that both sides are so entrenched as to render debate pointless but I signed up again to offer this; the "basis of the solid ground" to which you allude seems to me to be necessarily leaning towards neurophysiology and the mechanisms we use to render or establish this "solid ground" for ourselves. I would suggest to you then this book as an examination of how this is accomplished.

Gitsum wrote: »
    I (Simtech) was reluctant to do this as it seemed to me that both sides are so entrenched as to render debate pointless but I signed up again to offer this; the "basis of the solid ground" to which you allude seems to me to be necessarily leaning towards neurophysiology and the mechanisms we use to render or establish this "solid ground" for ourselves. I would suggest to you then this book as an examination of how this is accomplished.

I myself think discussion (myself and Zombrexesesesesss) is too embryonic to say positions have already become entrenched.

I would point to an argument by another, read recently, which held that matter (and the sense organs that detect matter) must ultimately be considered a projection of the mind - rather than mind being considered but an assembly of matter - and in being so, reducible in it's operation to but a function of matter.

It's a chicken (mind) and egg (matter) situation - and one which ultimately sinks the Materialist ship. But I digress.

At this early point in proceedings, Zombrex and myself accept we exist (as a mind) and that reality exists as we perceive it (God, people, laptops). How accurate our perceptions of reality await a means of evaluation - including an evaluation of theories about how the mind works.

I mean, without the mind being satisfied in it's evaluation of a theory used to tell the mind how the mind works...

But I appreciate the effort to log in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's a chicken (mind) and egg (matter) situation - and one which ultimately sinks the Materialist ship. But I digress.

Emergent properties of physical things, anyone?

Water is wet. However, its constituent atoms are not. The wetness arises from the interaction between oxygen and hydrogen. Would you argue that wetness is actually the soul of water?

I was at a robotics exhibition in London recently. One of the stands was a collection of little wheeled robots. Each one operated on very simple, straightforward rules that governed how a robot would move about and interact with another if it was nearby. Put them together in numbers greater than two or three, however, and prediction soon became impossible. Their behaviour as a group is still governed by very simple rules, but once even a small number of them are put together to interact with eachother, nobody knows what they'll do next. There were less than ten robots in that display. The human brain is composed of millions of cells which interact with eachother by simple rules. It is no great leap to suggest that such an assembly is capable of even more impressive feats.

It doesn't sink any materialist ship. It is an inevitable consequence of relatively simple materials interacting with eachother to produce very complex behaviour. There are whole fields of study devoted to it, which are revealing some very interesting things about the mind. Well, I find them intersting. Proponents of the immortal soul idea probably find them terrifying and blasphemous.

But yes, you digress. Please, continue with your actual argument.

• Advertisement

That's usually what happens when people try to understand religion. It's gets dotty very quickly.

It wasn't so much religion I was considering dotty. It was your basic understanding of contractual arrangements. God wrote the terms and carries out accordingly. I really don't see the problem either with his being entitled to write terms or his carrying out accordingly

I just find it strange for someone to defend a God that willingly inflicts pain and suffering on his creations.

See above. The terms were broken, consequences followed.

I don't need to provide a reason. God needs to justify his killing of thousands on a daily basis.

What part of "The Lord giveth, the Lord is sure entitled to take away again" do you have a problem with. I don't mean that you restate you have a problem - more that you find something that floats to attach the problem to.

It actually does, as I don't know of any Christian who says that a sinner can refuse to go to hell and instead choose heaven. And I'm guessing you don't either.

There's different ways for the heaven/hell choice to be presented to you and you don't get a choice about the way it's presented to you. That doesn't affect you being the one to choose which it is. You don't have to worry about the fact that the gospel isn't convincing or that you haven't got proof of God's existence and all the usual claptrap. Your choice isn't made in that plain so none of that affects it.

And you can no more change your choice once you choose a destination than can a bungee jumper stop half way down. That doesn't affect his being the one to choose to jump in the first place.

Sarky wrote: »
    It is an inevitable consequence of relatively simple materials interacting with each other to produce very complex behaviour.

I (or the argument I read) wasn't so much arguing that the complexity of the mind demonstrates mind transcending matter.

It was the fact that the mind cannot escape concluding material a mental projection ... that interested me. The mind knows it exists. It assumes material exists. Thus doth mind transcend matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

At first I misread the heading as "God is in the neutrons" and wondered what about the protons, positrons and electrons, but now I see it is "neurons".:D

I agree. The neurons or the electrical and other interactions between them must be the source of all imagination, and that would include whatever entities humans imagine in an attempt, probably quite futile, to explain the universe.:rolleyes:

Only something as potentially sick as human imagination could ever have conceived such an idea as the jealous, capricious, cruel god that the main religions of this world try to make us believe exists.:)

I would point to an argument by another, read recently, which held that matter [...] must ultimately be considered a projection of the mind
    A surprisingly common view held preferentially, and in widely varying degrees, by the religious, homeopaths, chiropracters, witch-doctors, new agers, Deepak Chopra and many others similar people.

I believe it's the ultimate conclusion that those with uncontrolled or uncontrollable Hyperactive Agency Detection Disorder reach - the view that the world is composed entirely of intentional agents and the physical world is simply an illusion, and one which can be manipulated at will by a suitably thinking mind.

Personally -- I'm assuming you don't hold this view -- I would tend to classify it as being a borderline mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The mind knows it exists.

That is a pretty big assumption* on your part. I think it's more accurate to say the mind thinks it knows it exists because it's too lazy to bother with the alternatives that study reveals.

*Access the two papers from a university if you want to read more than the abstract without paying.

It wasn't so much religion I was considering dotty. It was your basic understanding of contractual arrangements. God wrote the terms and carries out accordingly. I really don't see the problem either with his being entitled to write terms or his carrying out accordingly

See above. The terms were broken, consequences followed.
    But I never entered into a contract with God, so I can't break terms with him. Not even the Mafia would seek blood payment for so many generations.
    What part of "The Lord giveth, the Lord is sure entitled to take away again" do you have a problem with. I don't mean that you restate you have a problem - more that you find something that floats to attach the problem to.
    the "entitled to take it away" part. Would you also condone parents murdering their children at will. Any parent could at any time kill any of their children, or even their grandchildren. You wouldn't have a problem with that?

There's different ways for the heaven/hell choice to be presented to you and you don't get a choice about the way it's presented to you. That doesn't affect you being the one to choose which it is. You don't have to worry about the fact that the gospel isn't convincing or that you haven't got proof of God's existence and all the usual claptrap. Your choice isn't made in that plain so none of that affects it.

And you can no more change your choice once you choose a destination than can a bungee jumper stop half way down. That doesn't affect his being the one to choose to jump in the first place.
    So God will create a situation to ensure that he can wash his hands of his judgement by saying, "well you did make that choice."

Seems like an incredible abuse of his powers just to keep a clear conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No theory is correct, some provide more satisfactory explanations for our observations than others.

For in-discussion rigors sake, I’d use the term ‘perceived reality’ over ‘natural world’.

Our discussion focuses (or should focus first) on what allows us to extract satisfaction from our theories and why.

Correct, but I'm trying to get you away from this idea that you see it so it is "real". Because that is not really the question. Something is happening, and that something is real (tier 1 issues aside), but it is not a question of whether that something is real or not, the issue is what is the best theory of what that something is.

For example, you say you perceive God. What that actually means is you perceive something, and for various reasons you classify that something as God. You focus on the I perceive something, and say that this is just like everyone else so what is the difference, when the focus is actually on the "for various reasons you classify that something as God" bit.
    In order to look to theories (i.e. "things might not be as they seem and I need to investigate further"), something needs to cause you to question things being as they seem. Something about the reality must strike you as amiss (otherwise you can take things on face value) - but how do you get to that point?

That isn't really true. I question everything. The more you learn about various philosophies of epistemology the more you question your assumptions and how you justify the beliefs you hold.

For example you said I'm assuming people are real because I see them. I'm actually not, not in the way you mean it. But this is such a wide discussion that we could get bogged down with every piece of detail.
    In your example, you are assuming that she is saying what she means. You are also assuming that she is being consistent in what she says – that her saying "not in a million years" now was applicable at the time you formed the belief that she’d go out with you. You are, in short, supposing that she is more or less like you.

I am. But not arbitrarily. That is part of the theory.
    For if you said things you didn't mean then her saying "not in a million years" wouldn’t cause you to doubt your belief. In which case you’d have nothing striking you as amiss .. and you’d have no need to develop theories.

Yes but the theory would never have got far in the first place. If humans randomly said things they didn't mean then I would not have developed the theory that she like me in the first place.

No theory just develops in isolation, that is in fact the point. They are models of expected output. We will get to this in a minute when we come to your model of God.
    Assumptions about reality (e.g. people are like me: they say what they mean and they are consistent in their views) come before theories being formed.
    No, assumptions about reality are the theories. People are like me is a theory, people say what they mean is a theory. These are models of experienced phenomena.

We classify them in human terms, so we say "this is a man". What that actually means though is that this experienced phenomena fits the theory I have in my mind about these humanoid creatures that I have already encountered that I classify as humans and which I model as having particular behaviour and expected responses.

Most of the time we don't even know we are doing this of course. But these are not arbitrary assumptions. I don't assume people are real and are like me. I have models of experience phenomena which include models of these creatures which based on experience appear to be like me and appear to be real, real being defined as itself fitting a set of criteria of expected output.

The difference between real and not real is ultimately a question of how something behaves. Does it disappear when I am no longer high on drugs, for example.

The point is that these are not arbitrary assumptions.
    1) Assumptions about the reality are key to helping us decide whether something is amiss in that reality. Assume this way and that theory will be more satisfactory. Assume that way and that theory will be more satisfactory. The foundation of those assumptions needs looking at.

These are not assumptions though. They are models.

For example when I say "Oh my God there is a man in my bedroom" what that is basically saying is "Oh my God there is a phenomena in my bedroom that I expect to behave in a particular fashion similar to the other phenomena I have experienced in the past that I classify as male humans"

The question of is it real is some what immaterial, the actual question is how confident am I that this phenomena will behave in the manner that I predict it to.

Because since this is a tier 2 issue the outcomes are different. One theory will have different predicted output than another theory. If it is the phenomena I classify as a man in my bedroom then this has a predicted output that I might be about to be physically hurt, given how I understand the model "men" to work. If the phenomena is instead going to behave as I understand the model "optical illusion" to behave I can fall back to sleep without any fear for my physical safety.
    2) Reality as we generally experience it (the massed backdrop) is a component in our coming to conclusions about the place of a an individual observation in it. If that’s a good way to phrase it.

Yes, it is a huge component.

Basically the over arching process is matching the phenomena you are currently experiencing in the present to an one of the conceptual models you have in your head of passed phenomena in order to accurately predict future behaviour of the current phenomena.

The key component is the rational for the matching of model to phenomena. Or to put it in my lay man's terms, why do you think you know what is happening. It is not simply Well I see it. You see something. The question is how you map that something to any of the conceptual models, or give up and say you don't know what you are seeing/experiencing.
    You indicate logic a determining component in whether or not a methodology will help us establish the (accuracy/likelyhood of the) reality. How did we arrive at that conclusion about logic? I mean, in granting logic this power we need to be able to say on what basis we've done that.

You have it some what backwards. Logic is not granted power, any more than your calculator invented mathematics. Again logic is simply a tool.
    It was the means whereby prediction came to be an indicator of theory-accuracy that interested me. I’m keen on focusing on these elemental components (logic, prediction) - I suspect that it is aspects of the operation of the reality itself which constructs the means whereby we establish the operation of the reality. It informs us how it works by being the way it is and that way seeming right to us. We don't/can't arrive at that conclusion independent of the way reality is.

We can. This is a tier 1 question. We could all be brains in jars. That means that the man in my room isn't "real". He is still going to bash my head in, and I still don't wish this to happen. So the question of whether I am a brain in a jar has no functional application to me. It doesn't stop the man bashing my head in, and whether or not I'm really getting my head bashed in or not, I care that this is the outcome of the phenomena I experience as being attacked by a person in my bedroom.

To use an example from Christianity, would you care all that much if you were really in hell suffering for all eternity, or whether you just though you were but you were actually a brain in jar in some other reality. I would imagine you would not wish this to happen either way, and if you believed that there was a way to prevent it you would take it, irrespective of whether you could demonstrate that this was really going to happen or whether you would just think it was happening to you.
    the massed backdrop of reality is inherently logical / predictable (irrespective of whether we were here to observe it) > this strikes us as being the case - logic/predictability resonate in us as being an indicator of realness > we then go to examine aspects of reality to see if they are predictable in the same way the overarching reality is (or strikes us as being) logical / predictable.

And so, reality as it is is what determines our theories being satisfactory. And if that reality is perceived one way then this theory will be satisfactory. And if reality is perceived that way then that theory will be satisfactory.

Not really. You are really focusing too much on this notion that things are real or not, on a fundamental level. This is largely irrelevant. It is tier 1, we cannot know this either way.

A much more relevant question is whether or not what we think is going to happen (happen being defined as what we are going to experience, irrespective of whether or not it is at a tier 1 level really happening) actually going to happen or not.

This is why I say what defines tier 2 issues is whether or not they have a functional difference on the reality you experience. Whether or not there is a man in my bedroom or not has a functional effect on my experiences. By this I mean the statement "There is a man in my room" can be re-classified as the statement "I am about to experience a certain set of phenomena that I consider undesirable and unpleasant".

Arguing over how "real" the man actually is or not at a tier 1 level is actually irrelevant to this. Assuming the man is real or assuming he isn't real is actually irrelevant to this. If the phenomena behaves as we expect the "man" model to behave things are going to get nasty for me. I might sit there saying "I'm just a brain in a jar, I'm just a brain in a jar" over and over as he beats me, but that probably won't bring that much comfort. :P

Ok to avoid these mega posts I'm going to split this one up, because the above deals with the general were as the next part deals with the specifics of your experience with God.

The result of the command (for that is how it was structured) caused me carry on with what was now being rationally considered to be a pointless exercise. I’d ridden 80 miles with my gloves bungeed to the pillion seat. At some unknown point they’d fallen off. I was 10 miles into a backtrack search for them (embarked on irrationally :)).

“It’s dark. Turn back."

"There are whole swathes of road you can’t see. Turn back."

"The gloves are black leather, the road black tarmac. Turn back."

"They most likely fell off earlier than later. Turn back"

"Oncoming cars mean you can’t even look at the road – you’re driving a bike looking at the opposite side of the road you Clown. Turn back. Turn back."

Then:

“Don’t stop. Go on”.

A half a mile further up, there are the gloves in the middle of the road under a streetlight. Reasons for God?

The command had power. It overcame overwhelming and decisive rationalism.

The command didn’t bark, cajole, reason, beg, sound authoritative, threaten .. or do any other recognizable thing one would normally associated with commands. Only God commands and it is done solely because the command is issued. The usual means by which our commands are given weight aren’t needed by him.

I was a relatively new-born at the time and was experiencing God ‘all over the shop’ as it were. God attends to new-born-agains as parents do their new-borns. He attends to their every need: feeding them, changing their nappies, assuring at every turn and looking after the tiniest detail in their lives. In the context, it was a no-brainer.

Ok, now we are getting some where. So what you have done here is two things. First discarded an intial theory that it is just your usual voice in your head, because this failed to match with the model of "My inner voice"

And you have also arrived at a (some what basic) model of God, with the following characteristics.

God will appear as a voice in my head.
    The voice will have power to persuade me.
    It will be speak with authority but not annoying or badgering.
    It will simple and delicate, not convoluted.

Now the first question is where did you get this model of God from? (this is the big question, so feel free to ignore the others below if you like)

The second question, which you seemed to hint at in the post, is had you already become a Christian at this stage?

The third question is did you consider any other theories that may also have explained the phenomena?
    My Dad had died
    Sorry to hear that.
    But she would admit to this day that something happened then. Something that lay outside the normal, rational parameters.

Well this is the fundamental issue. Something has happened. The question is now how to we map from that something to an explanation of what it is in order to both understand what has happened (for our own satisfaction) and to understand what is going to happen based on that phenomena.
    My gloves just had that self-same touch of class.

Class is hard to pin down precisely: it has aspects of right intensity of touch, timing, nail-on-head-ism, achieving subtle things (such as a lesson about obedience in the case of my gloves). In the case of God, I find a breadth of class that I've not experienced humans as being capable of.

And, trying to avoid circular reasoning (:)), what leads you to conclude that "God" is capable of it?
    I thought "Reality exists (God, people and the rest of it)" was a tier 1 assumption? We were looking at theories about reality, not at whether it exists or not.

Ok, let me rephrase. What lead you to conclude that the phenomena you experiences was most accurately explained by the model "Christian God", and where did this model first come from?
    Similarily, I check an individual observation (such as 'don't stop, go on') against something considered fixed (God's assumed existence and the massed experience of how God is). I don't ask is God real.

And where have you amassed this experience from? What was your first ever encounter with the phenomena you classify as "God" that allowed you to first start building the conceptual model of how this phenomena behaves?
    It remains to be seen whether our differing matters.

True, I am perhaps unfairly jumping the gun there. I will hold my conclusions until further exploration of the questions I asked above.

Hi Zombrex..

Sorry about the delay in responding - I've just not had that kind of time of late. I'll get to reply o'er the holidays no doubt.

Happy .. festive season .. to you and yours.

• Advertisement

Hi Zombrex..

Sorry about the delay in responding - I've just not had that kind of time of late. I'll get to reply o'er the holidays no doubt.

Happy .. festive season .. to you and yours.

No worries, merry Christmas :)

Advertisement