Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Is that the girl that has a white 'cap' in her hair and wears what looks like homemade clothes? I wonder about her sometimes. I assume she wouldn't be Amish if she was studying in UCD, as I can't think of any course that doesn't use computers (for example). What's a mennonite?
    She uses one of them horse-drawn computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I saw an Amish family at SeaWorld in California a few years back. Quite an unusual sight to see. Never seen any since. I hope they enjoyed themselves :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Wow I didnt know there was an Amish community in Waterford. I saw a woman and child in town one day wearing home made dresses and white caps. I was looking around for more thinking there must be a street play on or something. Hmmm you learn something new everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

The Amish a grand bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Whenever anyone mentions the Amish, I can't help but recall this tradegy and how they responded to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_school_shooting

I wonder if I could show the same level of forgiveness & compassion, but the answer is probably 'no'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Im surprised no ones put in that video yet. Oh well not my job. but im listening to it. You know the one

*sigh* of course.. unless this is a sting beats the crap out of coolio's version anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Great bunch o lads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rURkkkfv8o

They sure are, good dancers too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

scholar007 wrote: »
    I really like their way of life (seriously) - Are there any in old Ireland? How receptive are they to newcomers?

Theres some near Waterford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did anyone see the programme last night? The womenfolk create quilts in their spare time to donate to people in "Haiti and Bulgaria"
    This woman did not appear to realise Bulgaria is in the EU and has a much higher standard of living than say SierraLeone or Mozambique or even some poorer regions of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Been spending most my life livin in an Amish paradise
    Churned butter once or twice livin in an Amish paradise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The Mennonites in Waterford are in Portally near Dunmore East.

They farm and stuff, bring their produce to local farmers markets. And I think they used to sell wooden furniture at this little petrol station between Dunmore and Waterford.

I don't know what the men dress like, but the women just wear long skirts and headscarves. Very plainly dressed.

I think there are some up around Dungloe in Donegal as well, not many but a few. I definitely saw a couple of women with the bonnets on when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I think the Amish are great. They seem like a good bunch of people who respect the earth and lead very healthy, happy, outdoor lifestyles. I think we could learn a lot from them.

Also, can't believe nobody posted this. I couldn't resist:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

How did the Mennonites come to arrive at Dunmore East? I've never heard of them before in that area.

I come from a Quaker family (although not comparable with the Mennonites in modern times) and there are a good number of Quakers in South Tipperary and Waterford, Newtown school being a focal point in particular.

I'm just wondering if some of the Quaker families who were unhappy with the manner in which Irish quakers have abandoned the tradition of so called "simplicity in works and spirit" or whether it is just a co-incidence that there is also a Mennonite community in that area?

later10 wrote: »
    How did the Mennonites come to arrive at Dunmore East? I've never heard of them before in that area.

I come from a Quaker family (although not comparable with the Mennonites in modern times) and there are a good number of Quakers in South Tipperary and Waterford, Newtown school being a focal point in particular.

I'm just wondering if some of the Quaker families who were unhappy with the manner in which Irish quakers have abandoned the tradition of so called "simplicity in works and spirit" or whether it is just a co-incidence that there is also a Mennonite community in that area?

Co-incidence I imagine. I don't think the Mennonites down there are a split from the Quakers anyway (at least I never heard that they were). Surely they're two quite diverse traditions? I'm not sure how long they're there, but 25/30 years anyway. I have a notion that they set up a community down there, and are not originally from the area. 'Community' may be pushing it actually, I don't think there is that many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Seems strange that they would be in times square. Are you sure that you aren't mixing the Amish up with Orthodox Jews?

Surely they're two quite diverse traditions?
    In modern times, yes. Quakerism has had its own Vatican II of sorts, and some groups (admittedly, particularly so in the US) are not happy with how the modern identity has evolved.

If you went back a few generations, the Quakers and the Mennonites would have had an awful lot in common (home industry, no swearing of oaths, internal marriage, simplicity, and so on)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I really want to be Amish. I watched that Channel 4 documentary and what struck me about them was how happy they all were. Their lives were just so simple and they just got on with it and nothing much got them down. All I want is a simple happy life!

Failing that I would also really love to seduce an Amish boy. For the challenge like.

I really want to be Amish. I watched that Channel 4 documentary
    Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really want to be Amish. I watched that Channel 4 documentary and what struck me about them was how happy they all were. Their lives were just so simple and they just got on with it and nothing much got them down. All I want is a simple happy life!

Was watching it and thinking the same thing myself last night. Then I realised I'd be bored off my face after a week. I think it's the kind of thing you'd have to be born into, there's no way that I could just change and drop everything about my life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Failing that I would also really love to seduce an Amish boy. For the challenge like.

I'm Amish, I swear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

later10 wrote: »

don't think they have anything to do with the Quakers in Waterford at all.
    They do have their own website though
    http://www.anabaptistireland.org/about-us/

and a little bit more about them here
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/unique-irish-community-the-amish-of-dunmore-east-2940332.html
    The Amish Mennonite community near Dunmore East has been growing steadily for the last 19 years, as an outreach programme originating from the larger Amish Mennonite community in the United States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

padd b1975 wrote: »
    2 pages in and not a smart comment about their obsession with the bible to be seen.
    Now if this was a thread about catholics.........

At least with the Amish when it comes to living in the 17th century they try to do it properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    You can see it here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/living-with-the-amish/4od

Basically British teenagers are sent to spend time with Amish families - it's better than it sounds.

Yeah. And it did them a lot of good. In the Daily Mail was an interview with one of the group - a 16 year old girl - who used to be spoilt rotten by her parents and, due to a lack of discipline, was unruly and rowdy. After spending time with the Amish she was a changed person. I think she ended up getting a job rather than sponging off her parents and she behaves herself more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I have been watching the C4 programme with genuine interest over the past few weeks and I have to say that they are definitely onto something. They seem to be extremely happy in their lives. The changes in the personalities of the UK teens living with them is interesting. Charlotte and Hannah are undergoing serious changes as people.

Does anyone know how open they are to visitors within their community? Would love to stay there for a week or 2 in the summer and sample their lifestyle for real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Watched some programme last night about English teens going to live with the Amish. Have to say that I found an awful lot to like about them. I could see how the Amish life revolved around people, while the teens revolved around money & possessions and in one case "opinions" :rolleyes: Not a bad way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    At least with the Amish when it comes to living in the 17th century they try to do it properly.

The Amish are very open to using GMO crops in the States. Amazing what we consider a backward community is so open minded to certain new sciences while we have the educated tree huggers here........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

johngalway wrote: »
    Watched some programme last night about English teens going to live with the Amish. Have to say that I found an awful lot to like about them. I could see how the Amish life revolved around people, while the teens revolved around money & possessions and in one case "opinions" :rolleyes: Not a bad way of life.

Siana (sp?), the girl from east London is a bit of a pain with her opinions alright. She is going to get nothing out of the experience if she doesn't open up.

COYW wrote: »
    Siana (sp?), the girl from east London is a bit of a pain with her opinions alright. She is going to get nothing out of the experience if she doesn't open up.

you tell it like it is, gurlfriend

The Amish are very open to using GMO crops in the States. Amazing what we consider a backward community is so open minded to certain new sciences while we have the educated tree huggers here........

Depends completely on what you think about GM crops, I'm completely with the educated tree huggers on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I think what struck me the most about the show was the Amish girls who went to live in England. I've had so many issues with self confidence and my looks and my weight. The Amish girls just really didn't care. The English girls were trying to get them to do their hair and makeup, and they just had no interest in it. Were just happy with the way they were and didn't see any need for improvement.

I'd love to be so carefree.

I do think it is something you have to be born into though. I don't think any amount of baking bread will sort out my deep rooted issues.

Advertisement