Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amish

Options
  • 03-12-2011 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any experience or interaction with the Amish? I find them fascinating and remember seeing some of them in Time Square one year - found it kinda strange that they were in the middle of Manhattan but hey ho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Great bunch o lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

There are lots of Amish live around here. Have little stores and farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's Times Square.
    I used to also think it was Time Square, pass it on.

Bitta of a drummin going on at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

...knew a lad called Hamish once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Kimia wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience or interaction with the Amish? I find them fascinating and remember seeing some of them in Time Square one year - found it kinda strange that they were in the middle of Manhattan but hey ho.

I really like their way of life (seriously) - Are there any in old Ireland? How receptive are they to newcomers?

• Advertisement

scholar007 wrote: »
    I really like their way of life (seriously) - Are there any in old Ireland? How receptive are they to newcomers?

Theres mennonites i think but no amish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Kimia wrote: »

Yes I have experience.
    Your post makes these people are something to be watched? Like caged animals??

WTF

I don't know about Ireland. They work very hard. They want to be viewed as separate from the world but living in it.

What do they work hard at though? Using rudimentary tools to work the land? Or do they do other mainstream jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

chucken1 wrote: »
    Yes I have experience.
    Your post makes these people are something to be watched? Like caged animals??

WTF

Whoa, way to jump to conclusions. I say I find a culture fascinating and would like to learn more (which is usually a good thing) and you leap to the negative. For shame.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What do they work hard at though? Using rudimentary tools to work the land? Or do they do other mainstream jobs?

I think they are big into carpentry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Deki wrote: »
    There are lots of Amish live around here. Have little stores and farms.

I had one of those little farms when I was a kid. Loved the tractors and little animals.

The Amish are a myth OP. They don't actually exist.

Well they make furniture, build and repair things- roofs, masonry, outside buildings. they farm. grow and sell produce, have auctions. They use horses to plow and farm. THey have a bakery and a general store. The store does have electric but it may be from a generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Tis a fine barn but sure tis no pool, English.

Also they don't have zippers. Only buttons and hook and eye fasteners. They make their own clothes.

I only have button fly jeans too, maybe I am am-ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Im surprised no ones put in that video yet. Oh well not my job. but im listening to it. You know the one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

I only have button fly jeans too, maybe I am am-ish.
    I think you're a bit Amiss. . .

The men wear suspenders and the married men all have beards and hats. The females have hats too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

They drive small black horse drawn carriages. Sometimes people taunt them by sticking ice cream cones in their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Yeah, the Amish are odd to see when in big cities. I found orthodox jews weird to see aswell just because I'd never seen them before.

I've never seen anyone stick an ice cream cone in any of their faces. In the Fall when they close their produce auction they make homemade ice cream in appreciation and give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

That whole cutting each others hair and beards as an insult thing that's going on the moment is a bit mental.

Adyx wrote: »
    That whole cutting each others hair and beards as an insult thing that's going on the moment is a bit mental.

At the moment where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

There's a small Amish community in Waterford, they make stuff for the country market in town and often see them in and around.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Didn't Harrison Ford did a film years ago called " The Witness " and it's about this crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

rob180 wrote: »
    Didn't Harrison Ford did a film years ago called " The Witness " and it's about this crowd?

Yes and family guy have an episode about them too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

2 pages in and not a smart comment about their obsession with the bible to be seen.
    Now if this was a thread about catholics.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm friends with a couple of em on Facebook.

Advertisement