Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

rob180 wrote: »
    Didn't Harrison Ford did a film years ago called " The Witness " and it's about this crowd?

That's right. And I'd nearly consider abandoning atheism if I got to ride the Amish woman Kelly McGillis as he did in the movie.:):):)

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/11607.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's Times Square.
    I used to also think it was Time Square, pass it on.

Bitta of a drummin going on at the minute.

I could watch that all day :)

Was only there once and would love to go back for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

chucken1 wrote: »
    At the moment where?
    This is the latest report, but it's been going on for quite a while. The forced cutting of married men's beards and women's hair is extremely offensive apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Adyx wrote: »
    This is the latest report, but it's been going on for quite a while. The forced cutting of married men's beards and women's hair is extremely offensive apparently.

Hairlarious!

Actually, it really isn't, but as far as hate crimes go, they did kind of get off lightly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

With all the horsedrawn carriages about the centre of town, I like to take a spin around Stephen's Green on weekend nights and pretend I'm in Amish Country.
    Sure 'tis a fine party, but you're no Stags, English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

Hairlarious!

Actually, it really isn't, but as far as hate crimes go, they did kind of get off lightly...

It's not really a "hate crime" as such, if they are doing it to each other, is it?

Anyway, I used to live in Chicago and you would often see them in musuems and such like, but not really out and about in the city. And they were usually young - in their teens or early twenties.

Don't they get sent out to "the real world" at this age to see what it's all about before the fully commit to the Amish way.

But yeah, it is strange to see people walking around in a major metropolitan city dressed like they are from an other century.

I was actually really good friend swith a menonite girl from Dakota, but it was hard to get her to talk about her religion. All she would say was that they were pacifists. The impression I got was that they were similar to the Amish in idealogy if not in practice (they used all types of technology).

She was mad - drinking and sleeping around, but I am still in contact with her and know she has settled down A LOT and is now married to a fellow menonite and has kids. So she was probably sowing her wild oats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

What sounds like this: "clip clop clip clop clip clop BANG clip clop clip clop clip clop "?
    An Amish drive-by shooting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i used to park in their little sheds for their horses and carriages in the supermarket to keep my car in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

3rdDegree wrote: »
    They drive small black horse drawn carriages. Sometimes people taunt them by sticking ice cream cones in their faces.

And then they fight back, like this Amish guy..

witness.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

padd b1975 wrote: »
    2 pages in and not a smart comment about their obsession with the bible to be seen.
    Now if this was a thread about catholics.........

Yes religion does appear to be an important (hardly obssessed by bible)aspect of how they live but so too are many other things including family, community, self sufficiency, importance and awareness of nature etc.

They are by many standards conservative and have unique attitudes and rules on what might be consisdered 'modern living trappings and utilities' but no one can ignore that they are a very resourceful and creative community.

Simply making fun of their appearance/lifestyle is facile and nothing more than ignorance on the part of the critic.

There is currently a very interesting documentary series (Channel 4) which offers fascinating viewing and an insight to various aspects of the Amish community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

There is currently a very interesting documentary series (Channel 4) which offers fascinating viewing and an insight to various aspects of the Amish community.

You can see it here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/living-with-the-amish/4od

Basically British teenagers are sent to spend time with Amish families - it's better than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

Adyx wrote: »

Anybody else find it incredibly ironic that the offending family's surname is "Mullet"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Kojak wrote: »
    And then they fight back, like this Amish guy..

witness.jpg

An Viggo Mortenson there in the background could knock the bollix outta yah as a Russian copper, Ranger or reformed gangster in his diner, so the Amish as clearly not defencless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

... have unique attitudes and rules on what might be consisdered 'modern living trappings and utilities' but no one can ignore that they are a very resourceful and creative community.

Someone you and I worked with back in the day was on holiday in Belize not long ago where the Amish/Mennonites have a thriving weed trade (legal in Belize).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I visited an Amish farm in Lancaster county Pennsylvania with my parents back in 05. I was very exited as I was preparing for my LC the following year and 'Witness' was our film study in English.

The experience was a bit of a let down as most of the visit was spent with them trying to sell us a variety of overpriced handmade garments. They also kept asking if we we're Russian:confused:
    Ireland didn't seem to register with them at all.

I visited an Amish farm in Lancaster county Pennsylvania with my parents back in 05. I was very exited as I was preparing for my LC the following year and 'Witness' was our film study in English.

The experience was a bit of a let down as most of the visit was spent with them trying to sell us a variety of overpriced handmade garments. They also kept asking if we we're Russian:confused:

Lancaster County has become something of a tourist trap,largely due to Witness and the fact that it is so close to the major eastern cities.A lot of the Amish have moved on to other parts of the States.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    You can see it here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/living-with-the-amish/4od

Basically British teenagers are sent to spend time with Amish families - it's better than it sounds.

cool, i saw the amish kids going to live with the brits, this might be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I'm fairly sure there's an Amish girl currently studying in UCD actually. Might be a Mennonite I suppose.

A lot of Americans used to automatically assume I was Russian because of my blonde hair. Maybe the Amish are the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

A small Beachy Amish congregation associated with Weavertown Amish Mennonite Church exists in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish#Population_and_distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

When I was in Pennsylvania we visited a little market where some of the Amish community were selling their produce along with many other people from the area. We bought some of their homemade jam and a few other things as presents for family back home.

They seemed pretty normal other than the fact they clearly dressed slightly differently to us. Although some of the girls were even wearing runners.

• Advertisement

A small Beachy Amish congregation associated with Weavertown Amish Mennonite Church exists in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish#Population_and_distribution

The Amish are divided into different orders or "Ordnung" varying mainly in the level of adaptation to modern technology.The Beachy Amish in Dunmore East would be at the more modern end of the spectrum - wearing traditional dress,no radio or TV,but they worship in a dedicated meeting house (most Amish worship in family homes), afaik they can drive cars and even have a website!

http://www.anabaptistireland.org/about-us/

They appear to welcome visitors,it'd be interesting to hear if anyone has been along and if they use Pennsylvania German in their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I love the idea of their simplistic way of life, their strong sense of community, the slow pace of living, enjoying nature, growing their own food and so on.

But I would never be able to deal with the idea that men and women have certain specific roles, and also the religious aspect would do my nut in.

But overall, I do really respect them, and find their way of life fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Theres no denying the Amish, old fashioned they may be- are a kind and helping people. Ask any one-handed bowlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Amish way of life may seem noble and pure, but then so does the 'Christian' way of life; whatever that is..

A lot of bad things happen within Mennonite communities. Child abuse is particularly common and under reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The Amish way of life may seem noble and pure, but then so does the 'Christian' way of life; whatever that is..

A lot of bad things happen within Mennonite communities. Child abuse is particularly common and under reported.

Not to mention of course that if you happen to be gay, or in any other way don't conform to their very specific and unrealistic ideals of conformity, then you either need to hide that for the rest of your life or risk having every member of your family and every friend you have ever known completely disowning you and refusing to so much as answer you back should you say 'hi' to them.

It's 'be exactly like us in every way or lose forever the only humans you have ever been permitted to associate with in any way, or form meaningful relationships with, since the day you were born'.

Like others have said, there is a lot to appreciate in their culture but let's not white wash the hideous shite that is intertwined with it.

If someone leaves the community before they are baptised they can and will remain in contact with their families.Shunning only takes placed if a baptised person steps out of line and doesn't repent - baptism only takes place at adulthood.It certainly isn't an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Seen a programme on ch 4 where amish teenagers from usa stayed with "normal" people in uk ,there a bit odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'm fairly sure there's an Amish girl currently studying in UCD actually. Might be a Mennonite I suppose.

Is that the girl that has a white 'cap' in her hair and wears what looks like homemade clothes? I wonder about her sometimes. I assume she wouldn't be Amish if she was studying in UCD, as I can't think of any course that doesn't use computers (for example). What's a mennonite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

They do wear white caps and the clothes are handmade. Some people around here don't like them coming in and buying the land, but I think it's better off in their hands than in the big conglomerate's hands. I enjoy the fresh fruit and vegetables grown by the Amish and they sell cheaper and riper cause they're local.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Is that the girl that has a white 'cap' in her hair and wears what looks like homemade clothes? I wonder about her sometimes. I assume she wouldn't be Amish if she was studying in UCD, as I can't think of any course that doesn't use computers (for example). What's a mennonite?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonite

I've seen her around too, she's on my bus sometimes.

Advertisement