Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you found out your child was a paedophile?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

paddythere wrote: »
    were the child molesting capital of the world

Where is the capital these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

cut their bollocks off.too many paedos in this country.were the child molesting capital of the world

This is an entirely factual statement and in no way a load of made up bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

cut their bollocks off.too many paedos in this country.were the child molesting capital of the world

Really :confused: and where did you get these facts from :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Brilliant for a laugh though - I genuinely lolled. :)

Stiffler 2 wrote: »
    I don't know, you're confusing me now. I am saying I would protect my own child by not turning them in.

That's basically my point. If anyone molested my child though they'd be wearing cement shoes. ya ?

Why would I care about someone I don't know or have ever met though ?

The question is what would you do if you found out your child was a paedophile ?

• Advertisement

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I would protect my child at all costs. You people make me sick that you would "turn in" your own child / children.

My own children mean everything to me & I would die for them
    Aren't you the person who told people they were lying when they said they'd die for their child(ren) in that other thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Well that raises a serious question. If we accept homosexuality and heterosexuality as something that a person has no choice in, then we must do the same for a paedophile. In which case, can we hate them purely for being a paedophile, since they had no choice? Or should we only hate them if they act on their feelings?

If it is a mental illness, then can they be held responsible for their actions?

And either way, can we have pity for someone who must spend almost all of their lives with intense feelings that they can never (legally) express? Imagine being heterosexual and never being able to act on your sexuality for your entire life.

Personally whilst I despise what they do, I do still feel some pity for them.
    While paedophilia is classified as a preference just like heterosexuality and homosexuality, neither of the latter are classified as a mental disorder as acting on these impulses is generally consensual and does not inflict damage on anyone involved.

Lavezzi wrote: »
    Would your reaction be the exact same if your child was gay?

Being gay and being a pedophile are both equally as unnatural. The only difference is acting on the urges is morally wrong in the case of being a pedophile because a child cannot legally give consent
    Exactly. Therein is the difference, hence no need to report. The equally unnatural thing is just your prejudiced opinion, not a fact.
    despite what popular opinion says and how the media may want to shape our minds.
    I and many others, unlike some, have enough critical faculties to make up my own mind that people can't help it if they're gay - nothing to do with anything the media tells me.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

stovelid wrote: »
    Where is the capital these days?

ireland

never answered the q. I think anyone who finds a child sexually attractive is mentally ill, children are not sexual beings. I'm more inclined to think it's a psychopathy and I don't believe they can be cured either. I honestly don't know what I would do if my child was a paedophile. I don't think I could love them, although I would probably hate myself even more for producing one.

• Advertisement

Kanoe wrote: »
    never answered the q. I think anyone who finds a child sexually attractive is mentally ill, children are not sexual beings. I'm more inclined to think it's a psychopathy and I don't believe they can be cured either. I honestly don't know what I would do if my child was a paedophile. I don't think I could love them, although I would probably hate myself even more for producing one.[/QUOTE]

But how do parents produce one ?

Just asking here, as a father & grandfather myself it is a very difficult question to answer.

realies wrote: »
    But how do parents produce one ?

Just asking here, as a father & grandfather myself it is a very difficult question to answer.
    the same way people produce children who are mentally or physically impaired or disabled. If it is something as natural as a genetic abnormality then I doubt anyone has a say in who produces what. But if they are a danger to society I'd like to think that there would be ways of controlling it through medication/sterilisation or some form of medical treatment

Kanoe wrote: »
    the same way people produce children who are mentally or physically impaired or disabled. If it is something as natural as a genetic abnormality then I doubt anyone has a say in who produces what. But if they are a danger to society I'd like to think that there would be ways of controlling it through medication/sterilisation or some form of medical treatment

So people are born paedophile ?

I don't know but it seems to be the suggestion here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In 128% of cases it's either because the parents abused them or it's genetic. Either way it's your fault and you should shoot yourself in the face.

In 128% of cases it's either because the parents abused them or it's genetic. Either way it's your fault and you should shoot yourself in the face.

Really :confused: or is that some sort of creative writing there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Bingo, although it is perhaps generalising a bit... As with most things with children, whatever the unhealthy addition (alcohol etc. etc.), before one even considers judging the child they should be judging themselves as a parent.

just to add, I don't think there ever is just one cause, be it genetic, mental disorder, the consequence of a physical injury or trauma, the result of childhood abuse or general psychopathy maybe it's a combination of one or more of these things, either way I would seek medical intervention and do my best to make sure they never harm anyone. I think that's what most parents would wish from their children.

[edit- sad subject to have to discuss all the same]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No problem with it at all as long as they did not act on it they can hardly help who they are attracted to. If they realised they were attracted to children and did not act on it I would pity them if anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

The question is what would you do if you found out your child was a paedophile ?

I would protect the child obviously, Why would I send him into the police or tell anyone about it jeez. I'd keep it under wraps, protect him / her at all costs.

Once they hit 18 I'd probably send them into the priesthood

• Advertisement
Advertisement