Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bank having their Xmas Party tonight...

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

daddydick wrote: »
    ....furthermore there salary would have been partly made up of bank shares over the last 10 years [EMAIL="years....@p."][/EMAIL]

good for them, and some bank staff got big bonuses too. I know one on a few hundred grand a year, and who recommended someone to buy bank shares. my heart bleeds for the poor bank workers, and even more so for the regulator and central bank and government. Poor dears, furthermore their salary would have been partly made up of perks over the last 10 years too.

Many people cannot have xmas parties this year - or last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

gigino wrote: »
    good for them, and some bank staff got big bonuses too. I know one on a few hundred grand a year, and who recommended someone to buy bank shares. my heart bleeds for the poor bank workers, and even more so for the regulator and central bank and government. Poor dears, furthermore their salary would have been partly made up of perks over the last 10 years too.

Many people cannot have xmas parties this year - or last year.

Good man, the front line workers are all on a few hundred grand.

These "perks" are actually built in as part of the pay package. It happens in pretty much every plc that salaried employees receive shares or share options as part of their overall remuneration package.

You sound so, so bitter towards all the wrong people. The crisis happened because the senior management felt it appropriate to give loans to massively leveraged developers, not because a bank clerk got a few hundred euro worth of shares as part of their pay packet.

You should get a massive grip on reality, you obviously do not have a clue what is going on in this country. I actually feel sorry for you with all your anger toward the frontline staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

You should get a massive grip on reality
    its you who should get a massive grip on reality. I never said it was a cashier or " frontline staff" who was on a few hundred grand a year.
    And I did say "its the top of the public service who are most to blame for the crisis : the regulator, central bank and government. That was their job, they c***** up. Yet them buccos did not suffer either. They still even have their golden pensions. To borrow Clarksons phrase " they should be shot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So what is my answer and so what if they get bonuses. I am in an OK job, but I know if I would have applied myself, studied more or got my priorities right I would have had a better job.

So I will not begrudge anyone who got or worked hard for the breaks, fair fcuks to them is what I say. So have a swell xmas party.

its you who should get a massive grip on reality. I never said it was a cashier or " frontline staff" who was on a few hundred grand a year.
    And I did say "its the top of the public service who are most to blame for the crisis : the regulator, central bank and government. That was their job, they c***** up. Yet them buccos did not suffer either. They still even have their golden pensions. To borrow Clarksons phrase " they should be shot"

It may have escaped you, but this entire thread is about the public blaming the frontline staff for the global financial crisis. I an aware that senior management earned a couple of hundred grand. Everyone is. But you can't use that in an argument that christmas parties should be cancelled for frontline staff because it is not in any way relevant. Are you drunk or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Thats like defending public service pay here being double what it is in the UK by saying it gives employment.
    The top chiefs in the Nazi party gave employment in restaurants and hotels and bars too, but that does not make it right.

Did you just Godwin a thread to equate public service workers/ordinary bank staff to Nazis? Jesus wept. If this is the sort of thinking front end bank staff are dealing with daily, I think they bloody deserve a night out.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Although I agree that most frontline staff didn't know what was going on I do believe that there were definitely some who were aware of what was going on and said nothing.

I also think that hard working staff should of course go out and enjoy themselves but I think that one of the reasons why some people are so mad about these staff parties is because some of these banks shouldn't even be around anymore, they shouldn't have staff at all, the state has bailed them out.

For someone who lost their job at a company which hasn't been saved by the state and whose company didn't contribute to the mess it's pretty hard to stomach!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tayla wrote: »
    Although I agree that most frontline staff didn't know what was going on I do believe that there were definitely some who were aware of what was going on and said nothing.

I also think that hard working staff should of course go out and enjoy themselves but I think that one of the reasons why some people are so mad about these staff parties is because some of these banks shouldn't even be around anymore, they shouldn't have staff at all, the state has bailed them out.

For someone who lost their job at a company which hasn't been saved by the state and whose company didn't contribute to the mess it's pretty hard to stomach!

Why do you believe that some frontline staff knew what was going on? I'd venture to suggest that most still don't know the extent of the troubles in Irish banks and their causation. Could you explain to me exactly why the banks find themselves in such a tenous situation?

Secondly, banks are integral to the working of the economy. It was essential that they were kept around in some form. (Albeit without guaranteeing every debt). Regardless of how their jobs still exist, there's nothing wrong with them having a Christmas party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Why those bankers didn't get jailed yet, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

of course they deserve their xmas party. the cashiers, people behind the counter didnt cause all the problems in the banks atm, it was their senior colleagues that are responsible. same for those who attack the public service, some who do a very good job on the front line etc.

Do you work or show up for the PS:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

This is Ireland, when the shyte hits the fan and all else fails...........................................................................PARTY!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in reality all bank staff should have been made redundant and rehired on the minimum wage. so if they are having a jolly its on your taxes. So yeah egg em if you get a chance. lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    in reality all bank staff should have been made redundant and rehired on the minimum wage. so if they are having a jolly its on your taxes. So yeah egg em if you get a chance. lol

Completely illegal, refer to case law on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Completely illegal, refer to case law on the matter

the banks should have been closed down and their staff sacked without any payments, thats what happens to companies that go out of business, it happens to people in the private sector

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Secondly, banks are integral to the working of the economy. It was essential that they were kept around in some form. (Albeit without guaranteeing every debt). Regardless of how their jobs still exist, there's nothing wrong with them having a Christmas party.

It wasn't essential to keep them around, as long as we had some bank then we would have been ok, the ones who caused the damage shouldn't have been allowed to remain open. Don't forget that these same banks are hounding jobless people to pay back their debts while the banks are off the hook. When in Ireland has there been a more obvious attempt to protect the rich at the expense of the poor? The government are to blame for how people feel about the banks, they're the ones who have made everyone so angry and it's shoved in everyones faces everyday that there is a new tax, or they extend the bank guarantee and on the same day they get a letter from this bank threatening court action!

Also if you read what I said I said that that is one of the reasons why people would be mad and I did already say that hard working staff should be allowed to go out and have fun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tayla wrote: »
    It wasn't essential to keep them around, as long as we had some bank then we would have been ok, the ones who caused the damage shouldn't have been allowed to remain open. Don't forget that these same banks are hounding jobless people to pay back their debts while the banks are off the hook. When in Ireland has there been a more obvious attempt to protect the rich at the expense of the poor? The government are to blame for how people feel about the banks, they're the ones who have made everyone so angry and it's shoved in everyones faces everyday that there is a new tax, or they extend the bank guarantee and on the same day they get a letter from this bank threatening court action!

Also if you read what I said I said that that is one of the reasons why people would be mad and I did already say that hard working staff should be allowed to go out and have fun.

So how do you choose a bank then? Every single Irish bank is toxic and in need of Government support.

What do you expect banks to do, just forget about the loans people owe? That money then comes directly from the taxpayer. It's not a question of them trying to protect the rich, it's protecting banks that are integral to the economy. That includes guaranteeing your savings and ensuring they have enough capital to loan to small business.

The banks shouldn't have been legally guaranteed in the first place but now that they are, there's not much we can do - it's all sovereign debt now.

So how do you choose a bank then? Every single Irish bank is toxic and in need of Government support.

What do you expect banks to do, just forget about the loans people owe? That money then comes directly from the taxpayer. It's not a question of them trying to protect the rich, it's protecting banks that are integral to the economy. That includes guaranteeing your savings and ensuring they have enough capital to loan to small business.

The banks shouldn't have been legally guaranteed in the first place but now that they are, there's not much we can do - it's all sovereign debt now.

I'm just trying to explain why some people might find it very hard to know that these people first of all have jobs and secondly are having christmas parties. That's all. There's a lot of begrudgery going on in this country but in this case it's not a simple case of begrudgery there's a lot of anger behind it.

Advertisement