Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bank having their Xmas Party tonight...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 feelingblue

Ho ho ho :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

8 pages and all I read was RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.
    Don't read then!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

We pay for our own night up (primary teachers.)Always have done, so don't see why anyone would expect to have the night paid for by anyone else.

And me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

goat2 wrote: »
    partying is the last thing on my mind right now, looking at the state we are in, the banks are the last establishments i would expect to stage a party

Whats wrong with staff who have worked all year round to celebrate and have a night out to enjoy themselves? Obviously they should pay for it themselves, as I and my staff do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

goat2 wrote: »
    partying is the last thing on my mind right now, looking at the state we are in, the banks are the last establishments i would expect to stage a party

Well AIB don't, mostly unofficial parties paid by for the staff themselves

I don't begrudge anyone a night out, even if it is with "my tax money"

Jesus I hate that attitude, as if we're handing them fivers for each pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with staff who have worked all year round to celebrate and have a night out to enjoy themselves? Obviously they should pay for it themselves, as I and my staff do.
    paying for the whole thing themselves is fine, but dont you think it is hard enough on us at the moment to pay for things we need, i have nothing against the till staff or office staff having fun, i know they are nnot the cause of the mess we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Jesus I hate that attitude, as if we're handing them fivers for each pint

and standing there with the hand out expecting the change back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sooopie wrote: »
    Of course they do - jesus.

What a stupid ignorant man, people like him annoy me

Ignorant - yes. Correct - also yes. A brass cent of taxpayers money should not be spent on such frivolities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Did anyone consider that they might have a social fund funding part of the party and they fund the rest as we do? How many people in a branch?20? Goes to a hotel party night..€40 a head maybe subsidised €20 so cost individual €20. Cost to social fund €400.Take 1 or 2 more hundred to buy a few drinks. None of it out of ANYONE elses pocket. But it has created outrage:eek: But the guy getting a couple of hundred thousand payoff you do nothing about...I feel bad for anyone who has lost their job and does not have a Xmas party to go to but let these guys who are not on great pay enjoy a bloody Xmas night out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The cashiers in these banks didn't cause the crisis, much bigger fish above them did that. Anybody giving them abuse or snide comments as a way of "sticking it to the man" is a ****ing imbecile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

OP, THANK YOU. I repeated my leaving in a really scummy area in a deis school, and every five seconds 'your dad caused the recession', 'your dad gets free premium rugby tickets when I haven't even seen the podium' etc. Drives me nuts!!!

i like the people i meet on the front line in my local bank, they are helpful, i do not blame and would not blame them for what the banks have done,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

My sister works in a bank that is also having its Christmas party tonight and for what it's worth the bank have put NOTHING towards the party it has been 100% paid by the employees. And yes they are entitled to have a party if they like at any time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

ejmaztec wrote: »
    To summarise:

Christmas parties for bank staff are ok as long as they pay for them themselves, and they string up some token executives to round off the evening.

Sounds fair.
    and do not forget some of these same bank staff sold bank shares to pensioners, to pay for their old age. Some of the pensioners are sitting freezing at home tonight , with their bank shares worthless, while the bank staff party. The bank staff are not so worried over their pensions, after being bailed out by those who have no pensions. String 'em up, I say.

well i dont think people on social welfare should get double for holidays... but I accept it as something that happens... and its something that is accepted, get over it
    that kind of confuses me, this double for holiday, what holiday, had they been working that hard while they were unemployed,
    and i am unemployed, and i can say i am not working at all, so i dont neen holiday bonus, but not in receipt of unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

Have never the felt the need to post so many "thanks" in a thread.

Just wanted to say that I worked as a cashier for one of the major banks while i was in college during "the good times", even then it was hard work the skills that i learnt have benefitied me for ever and for that i will always be greatful as they have helped me with a future career.

I also have many friends and family still working in the banking sector who in their current job did job did not casue this propblem, yet they are embarredssed to say where they work despite having worked hard all their lives.

I would just like to second what other people have said here, the staff on the front line did not cause the problem, n i also happen to know that the institution that i worked for is not contributing to staff parties.

Any bank staff going out tonight.... Enjoy yourselves, ye deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

In two minds about this.

While frontline, customer facing staff had no responsibility for what went on, they were certainly aware of what was going on.

Friends in working in banks muttered at the time that if they went to the papers there'd be hell to pay., but wouldn't elaborate.
    Nobody went to the papers though.
    Understandable.
    We don't treat whistleblowers well in this country.

What went on.

This is the only whistleblower of note I'm aware of. Don't think he's Irish, and he hasn't had it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

seeing_ie wrote: »
    In two minds about this.

While frontline, customer facing staff had no responsibility for what went on, they were certainly aware of what was going on.

Friends in working in banks muttered at the time that if they went to the papers there'd be hell to pay., but wouldn't elaborate.
    Understandable.

What went on.

This is the only whistleblower of note I'm aware of. Don't think he's Irish, and he hasn't had it easy.

as i have said previously I was only there during the summer. but I can say without doubt that I was not aware of aware of what was goin on, was just doing what I was told

+ 1 The same sort of thing only worse went on in Ireland. I know one person earning 20k a year who got a mortgage for over a million during the boom years from the EBS. Irresponsible borrower but fed by a commission hungry lender.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

gigino wrote: »
    and do not forget some of these same bank staff sold bank shares to pensioners, to pay for their old age. Some of the pensioners are sitting freezing at home tonight , with their bank shares worthless, while the bank staff party. The bank staff are not so worried over their pensions, after being bailed out by those who have no pensions. String 'em up, I say.

Share prices go down as well as up am afraid, and many bank staff would have significant savings invested in those same shares which were wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Seriously, loads of people getting this worked up about a bank spending money on a crappy Christmas party?

Wait until they hear about the annual bonuses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Jazzzman wrote: »
    I can't believe what I'm hearing.

The banks are the sole reason this country is in the state it's in, and they're having parties in some fancy hotel no doubt?

I'm sorry, but instead of spending tens of thousands of euros on the party, how about putting some of it into elderly peoples pensions, the roads or give some to the homeless.

A ****ing party??

I'm fuming.

Good on the man in the bank for speaking his mind. It's a massive shame there aren't more like him.

Typical response on here. 'oh he's a prick', 'sure they deserve a knees up'...

no they bloody well don't.

Are they getting rhianna to perform at the party or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

There are thousands of people employed in the banking sector in Ireland and the majority are low level workers in the grand scheme of things cannot be held accountable for the actions of incompetent government, loose regulator and reckless top tier management. People up in arms about them being brought out for a few drinks at Christmas need to get a hold of themselves and see the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

I have a few friends who work in Banks. They are all going out with work for Christmas and the staff are paying all the costs themselves - nothing being paid by the Bank and, as someone else has said earlier in this thread, management have actually discouraged the staff from having a night out....
    The Bank relating to the first post in this thread seems to be an exception.
    There are 10 pages in this thread so far but I haven't seen anyone mentioning the fact that these Christmas parties are giving much needed business to their local restaurants / hotels / pubs who are all struggling to survive at the moment. How is that a bad thing ????

jpm4 wrote: »
    Share prices go down as well as up am afraid, and many bank staff would have significant savings invested in those same shares which were wiped out.
    yea but they were not relying on them for their pension unlike some small people. And bank staff still are going to their parties and have their golden pensions and job security - unlike many of the "little people" who they exploited. Course its the people at the top of the banks I blame the most. Some of them are reduced to only 450k a year. awwwww.
    Still, its the top of the public service who are most to blame for the crisis : the regulator, central bank and government. That was their job, they c***** up. Yet them buccos did not suffer either. They still even have their golden pensions. To borrow Clarksons phrase " they should be shot"

CorkBabe33 wrote: »
    There are 10 pages in this thread so far but I haven't seen anyone mentioning the fact that these Christmas parties are giving much needed business to their local restaurants / hotels / pubs who are all struggling to survive at the moment. How is that a bad thing ????
    Thats like defending public service pay here being double what it is in the UK by saying it gives employment.
    The top chiefs in the Nazi party gave employment in restaurants and hotels and bars too, but that does not make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

gigino wrote: »
    yea but they were not relying on them for their pension unlike some small people. And bank staff still are going to their parties and have their golden pensions and job security - unlike many of the "little people" who they exploited. Course its the people at the top of the banks I blame the most. Some of them are reduced to only 450k a year. awwwww.
    Still, its the top of the public service who are most to blame for the crisis : the regulator, central bank and government. That was their job, they c***** up. Yet them buccos did not suffer either. They still even have their golden pensions. To borrow Clarksons phrase " they should be shot"

Like some other posters I spent a few summers working as a cashier in one of the big banks and I learned an awful lot during my time there.

I would like to ask this poster how the hell an ordinary bank cashier will have "golden pensions" and "job security". Perhaps you havnt heard of AIB's plans to shed a couple of thousand jobs?? These are the ordinary people who are being made redundant....furthermore there salary would have been partly made up of bank shares over the last 10 years....these have now been completely wiped out. Pension??? Elaborate how prdinary bank cashiers are entitled to "golden pensions". What defines a "golden" pension anyway? Stop talking through your @rse.

The frontline workers should not be subject to this sort of sh1t from ignorant attitudes like the one of this poster and the man in the original post. Bank cashiers are decent hard-working people and do not deserve this [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL].

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

well i dont think people on social welfare should get double for holidays... but I accept it as something that happens... and its something that is accepted, get over it

People on social welfare get double for holidays??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

seeing_ie wrote: »
    In two minds about this.

Understandable.

What went on.

What a load of rubbish. The examples you quoted are non-Irish. Do you seriously think frontline staff knew that a lot of big loans were being used to buy equity in the banks? Or the construction industry growth was unsustainable? Joke of a post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

moco wrote: »
    People on social welfare get double for holidays??

Not any more.

Advertisement