Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing our Indepencendce

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

CamperMan wrote: »
    what can you do with such a powerful country like Germany
    If we were to default in the morning they'd be pretty helpless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ninjsk wrote:
    So ye lot dont care about our loss of Independence. Sad state of affairs

Well basically the country is in receivership so I don't know what level of independence people expect. If somebody has to go to MABS to renegotiate debts that curtails that persons independence, but I don't know what exactly they can do about it.

Independence is a very vague term as well. Probably the last time we were independent was the 30-50's, the Economic War, emergency and 50's depression.
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Oh fuck off. The population's half what it was 150 years ago. Stayed with britain howarya.

Britain is hardly something to be aspiring to economically either. Part of the reason we joined the EEC and later the Euro was to get away from Britain's stranglehold on our economy and our dependence on them.
    pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Us being a small nation is kinda a strength. For one thing we can feed ourselves and theres enough resources to go around, they're just managed very badly. If the global economy went down tomorrow we'd struggle but we'd survive. Britain not so much. Switzerland is also small but they punch well above their weight.

Depends on what you mean by survive I suppose. People would need to wean themselves of the latest iPhone, TV or whatever gadget as imports would become mostly unobtainable. Social Welfare and PS pay would need to be drastically cut. We'd get by alright but it would be a huge shell shock for many as the standard of living would become about essentials.

Switzerland had to basically devalue recently as its currency was becoming too strong.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement