Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing our Indepencendce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I think we should swallow our pride and try get back into the UK.

We've had a good laugh, but now we're up **** creek and our paddle is made of cheap MDF that someone robbed out of a ghost estate in Mullingar.

Cameron, please take us back.

what people seem to overlook is that further integration includes integrating with the basketcases aswell (yes i include ireland in that)

This whole shít storm was caused by contagion and exposure, how in the name of god does increasing integration reduce that
    This is precisely why Ireland won't be included in any future integrated EUROstate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Jazzzman wrote: »
    I think we should swallow our pride and try get back into the UK.

We've had a good laugh, but now we're up **** creek and our paddle is made of cheap MDF that someone robbed out of a ghost estate in Mullingar.

Cameron, please take us back.

you having been paying much attention to how much ****s going on in the UK have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

We have a vote, don't we? Any new treaty has to be ratified by a referendum.
    If we give up our sovereignty - AGAIN - we have only our fellow countrymen and women to blame. I sure as hell know which way I'll be voting. How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

you having been paying much attention to how much ****s going on in the UK have you?

Let me give you a quick economics lesson pal.

When the Euro fails, we're boned. We'll be left with a worthless currency.

Sterling will be strong.

We need to get back in the UK, or at least discuss it.

• Advertisement

We have a vote, don't we? Any new treaty has to be ratified by a referendum.
    If we give up our sovereignty - AGAIN - we have only our fellow countrymen and women to blame. I sure as hell know which way I'll be voting. How about you?

Its best to wait to see what you'll actually be voting on rather than make up your mind now.

We will not neccesarily have to have a vote anyway. We have a referendum if decission making powers move away from the oireachtas, its not clear whether this will happen

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Let me give you a quick economics lesson pal.

When the Euro fails, we're boned. We'll be left with a worthless currency.

Sterling will be strong.

We need to get back in the UK, or at least discuss it.

wow, thaks for the lesson. suddenly its all clear :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Pighead wrote: »
    Rubbish. You've got your figures wrong Kasabian. It's guys like you that got us into this mess in the first place.

I have checked, you were taxed for 2 jokes and neither qualified. Cheque for 30c is in the post. Happy Hanukkah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

We had our chance and we blew it. Spectacularly. No use crying over spilt milk. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Couldnt a really REALLY big bake sale get us out of this financial mess?

Dibs on the rice cripie buns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I see, ridiculous none the less.
    I now want zee germans to take over

Germans - gets $hit done

I don't want Germany/France next nor near us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I don't want Germany/France next nor near us

Don't worry, we've got England between us and them, we're perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ich bein subservient to my german masters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Archeron wrote: »
    Couldnt a really REALLY big bake sale get us out of this financial mess?

Dibs on the rice cripie buns.

Paraplegic buns?

mathie wrote: »
    Paraplegic buns?

nah, theyre all stringy from under use

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I say "F**k it", let zee germans take over. At least they can run their own country and have shown an interest in taking over Europe anyway for the last 100 yrs.

I'm sure they'd do a much better job than any of our political parties could ever do.

I couldn't believe when Ireland's budget was leaked to Germany.
    It's like saying please look at our budget, is it okay with you ??

lol

:D

The 27 countries Minister of Finances get to see it as they are lending money to us, the IMF the same.

Funnily enough, the Germans did mess up but didn't think it was that big a deal as they presumed our parliament would have discussed it. They've a different way of operating parliament there, no whip system you see.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'd rather trust the Germans with our finances than the string of piss, shlieveens elected to government.

Europe and the world are still not aware of the extent of corruption in Irish politics. They still believe the FF line as the cause being the global financial crisis.

Perhaps if Germany were running the finances they might have the stones to roll back the Corrib gas giveaway, and the unlimited child abuse insurance policy extended to the Church at the cost to the tax payer, which would cross out our entire debt overnight.

Spacedog wrote: »
    I'd rather trust the Germans with our finances than the string of piss, shlieveens elected to government.

Europe and the world are still not aware of the extent of corruption in Irish politics. They still believe the FF line as the cause being the global financial crisis.

Perhaps if Germany were running the finances they might have the stones to roll back the Corrib gas giveaway, and the unlimited child abuse insurance policy extended to the Church at the cost to the tax payer, which would cross out our entire debt overnight.

what makes you think germans will be running the economy. The EU has a privatising agenda, no way there would be any return of oil or gas to the irish excequer, as it wont exist.

Spacedog wrote: »

Compared to most African governments, Ireland's politicians are as pure as the driven snow!

Who's to say that German politicians are free from corruption. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

should've stayed with britain.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We were always dependant.We ARE always dependant.We WILL always be dependant .Unity was never a strong point with us except in an effort to send the opposing team home with a low estimate of itself .We'll compete ourselves out of existence as a Nation .Unity and Rules are not our way.Every debate in Ireland is a sublimated football Match .Every Solution is destroyed if the opposing Team suggested it .It does'nt take a lot to explain Ireland's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

A small cabal of reckless bankers, greedy developers and clueless politicians whip up a mania that leaves Ireland bankrupt - we don't deserve the right to run ourselves ever again...

A small cabal of industrialists, demagogues and racists whip up a mania that leaves tens of millions homeless, bereaved and lying in mass graves - hey lets not just let them have the right to run their own country, lets hand them ours as well.

Amazing double standard, but perfectly attainable with the right amount of loathing for oneself and ones country.

If you want to be ruled by Germany, piss off and live there.
    Leave those who believe in self-determination, independence and second chances here to forge our own destiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

Kumejima wrote: »
    If you want to be ruled by Germany, piss off and live there.

To be honest German rule would never work here. Things like innovation and political integrity, along with German honesty and zero tolerance for corruption in high places would be ill suited to the Irish gombeen streak, not to mention the laid back attitude toward corruption ("shure, wouldn't ye have don't yerself"). Oh yeah, and the church would probably be stripped of a lot of its power, that wouldn't go down too well in holy Ireland either I don't think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

So ye lot dont care about our loss of Independence. Sad state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

pmcmahon wrote: »
    should've stayed with britain.
    Oh fuck off. The population's half what it was 150 years ago. Stayed with britain howarya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Kaneda_ wrote: »
    We are Ireland,we are a tiny little speck on the edge of europe that no one cares about who never had real independance anyway.

Just emigrate to a proper country if you want.
    Us being a small nation is kinda a strength. For one thing we can feed ourselves and theres enough resources to go around, they're just managed very badly. If the global economy went down tomorrow we'd struggle but we'd survive. Britain not so much. Switzerland is also small but they punch well above their weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Compared to most African governments, Ireland's politicians are as pure as the driven snow!

Who's to say that German politicians are free from corruption. :rolleyes:

Yep!

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20111202-39263.html

http://www.worldpress.org/1001cover7.htm

http://blog.transparency.org/2011/05/16/in-the-fight-against-corruption-germany-falls-behind/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

If I get to vote on anything relating to the EU and closer ties, I'll vote no. Our European neighbours can go and fcuk themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

Were we ever independent? Think about it, the way we're being told by Inda and Gilbore we'll regain our economic sovereignty is by going into the bond markets to borrow more money that we'll have to pay interest on. Maybe if we actually set up an economy which was based on indigenous industry, a state-owned bank that isn't a nationalised zombie, and public ownership of our natural resources we'd be sovereign. As well as that, we should upgrade our armed forces, what sovereign state relies on others to defend them? Our 'Air Corps' is a joke, it's best plane is the government jet ffs :pac:, the navy wouldn't last half an hour against a serious opponent and the army is not set up for proper warfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Biggins wrote: »
    With yet another treaty possibly on the way, we're screwed.
    Germany once again is taking control over Europe and the political sheep are letting it happen.

what can you do with such a powerful country like Germany

Advertisement