Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

hamhamwich wrote: »
    Mine arrived during the week but the supplied CD is blank. :confused:

Could someone please upload the driver from the CD somewhere and post a link here?

Thanks.
    styron wrote: »
    I've uploaded the CD content here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZKSHROQI

'autorun.exe' will give you the interface if you need it. I only installed the bare driver - the Blaze HD player ain't up to much. Windows Media Centre and VLC work fine for me (RTE2 HD can be a bit jumpy).

The thread that vibe666 mentioned gives plenty of good configuration and troubleshooting advice.
    There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Do you know for a fact that you have the signal strength in your location to receive the broadcasts on that small aerial?

Lack of signal strength indoors is common ...... which is why most aerials are positioned outdoors and up high to avoid obstacles.

I'd assume so... I'm less than 8km from woodcock hill, which is a digital transmitter... I can pick up the analog signal on my telly with a little rabbit-ears aerial bought in poundland in Belfast (that has since bitten the dust)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

/\/ollog wrote: »
    There you go.

Nice one thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had some trouble setting it up on Windows 7, but after I reinstalled the drivers, Blaze TV worked fine. I have perfect signal here in Cork City with the supplied aerial. Also set it up on WMC with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Thanks Op, just ordered mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Still waiting for mine and I'm pretty sure I ordered at the start of December... getting pi$$ed off now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Got mine working last night,Got it going on WMC with no problems,Im currently in Dublin City centre and it works perfectly and going to try it this weekend in cavan and will let you's know, Great Find OP.

Tried it at the weekend at home(Cavan) and it couldn't pick up any channels so i would need to connect it to the house arial, I say you would need to be quite near a mast for it to work. Still a great job and its a steal at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Mine arrived today. I ordered December 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Anyone in Galway city order this?

Wondering what the signal is like.

Got mine today, ordered it on December 22nd.
    I'll try get it working tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

why do you need this dongle? most channels now have 'on demand' channels where you can watch live and recorded shows. like rte on demand, channel 4 on demand etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

why do you need this dongle? most channels now have 'on demand' channels where you can watch live and recorded shows. like rte on demand, channel 4 on demand etc.

I know my internet is only 2mbps so wouldn't be able to handle HD channels.....also handy for recording stuff, although I haven't managed to get time to set up my own one properly yet! I only have a freesat box which can record sat, and a saorview tv which can't record, but can take a usb input so if i needed to record something i coudl watch it on the tv after...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

If you're out and about with your laptop and without internet, you can use your laptop to watch live TV, like a normal telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Got mine today...ordered 5th Jan.

Having trouble with setup - do I need to register the software? I'm getting prompted for a serial number?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

there's a key printed on your cd envelope.
    Don't use the one in a .txt file on the disc as it's already been used at some stage by someone.

Mine eventually arrived late this afternoon...

However, after installing it using the CD provided (my CD's contents were different to the one uploaded earlier in the thread)... everything that uses the dongle seems to crash.

WMC crashes non stop or takes literally 30 minutes to do 1% on a channel scan.
    So I reluctantly installed the Blaze software and on the very first frequency (474.00Mhz) it's crashed...

Faulty device or am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Shanegggg

Got mine today, ordered it on the 5 of Jan! :)

Cannot for the life of me get this to work. Driver installed without cd and tried to scan with WMC (Windows 7 64 bit), 4 hrs later it was only on 60%! Surely that can't be right!

Also for some reason it likes to make firefox not respond and makes the mouse pointer fuzzy! :o

Tried it on a xp machine and seemed to scan alot faster but no channels found. Will have to try an aerial once I get my hands on a adapter for it.

@Vertakill - Sounds like we got the same devices!

Shanegggg wrote: »
    Got mine today, ordered it on the 5 of Jan! :)

Cannot for the life of me get this to work. Driver installed without cd and tried to scan with WMC (Windows 7 64 bit), 4 hrs later it was only on 60%! Surely that can't be right!

Also for some reason it likes to make firefox not respond and makes the mouse pointer fuzzy! :o

Tried it on a xp machine and seemed to scan alot faster but no channels found. Will have to try an aerial once I get my hands on a adapter for it.

@Vertakill - Sounds like we got the same devices!

Sounds familiar alright!
    I let my scan run overnight and it came back with 0 channels.
    But literally everything it does seems to make the PC or the program(s) hang if you so much as look at them so thats why I let it run overnight.

And yeah, I had a load of problems trying to get the driver to work.
    One minute it'd install as a WinFast DVB Dongle in Device Manager, then it'll disappear and a USB device with the yellow/black exclamation mark would appear.
    I've tried both drivers as well - the one on the CD that came with mine and the one from the uploaded CD on here with the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Vertakill wrote: »
    Sounds familiar alright!
    But literally everything it does seems to make the PC or the program(s) hang if you so much as look at them so thats why I let it run overnight.

One minute it'd install as a WinFast DVB Dongle in Device Manager, then it'll disappear and a USB device with the yellow/black exclamation mark would appear.
    I've tried both drivers as well - the one on the CD that came with mine and the one from the uploaded CD on here with the same results.

Very same for me here, yet I have good Saorview reception on my tv,s even with same aerial connection to pc dongle no can do :(

I also tried mine on a few different computers still nothing.

Yeah I've no idea what to do with it now. I'm living in an area that's covered by saorview.
    I got 2 of these delivered and both are reacting the same way, both on Win7 x64.

I'll try test it on a laptop outside tonight (*brrrrrr*) or something and see if I'm just struggling for coverage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Sounds familiar alright!

On the face of it, the struggle to retain driver recognition and hanging/crashing on multiple systems points to a dud dongle, but 3 out of 3 between both of you is a very unlucky batch.

I've installed it on 3 systems, dual & triple booting (XP/Vista/Win7) and never once was the dongle natively recognised - I had to install the driver first for it to be picked up as an af9015 device on all 8 OS installations .

I'd system restore back to before you installed any dongle drivers, then install the simple driver (setup.exe - by right clicking and "run as administrator") waiting for the finish button to appear. Click to close the interface and immediately restart the system.

Only then plug in the dongle and wait for any af9015 device message pop up in the notification area and/or look for it under 'sound video and game controllers' in a clear device manager (ie. without any question or exclamation marks). If it's still unstable and dropping the driver as before - particularly on a non-64bit WIN7 system - the dongle(s) are the likely problem.

(If it remains confined to 64bit Win 7 a possible workaround if you're running 64bit Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise is Virtual PC with XP Mode - to effectively run the dongle through a virtual 32bit XP OS [500 MB download] run from the Win 7 desktop: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx)

A more sensitive tuning option to media centre scanning for me is using the dongle with VLC/VideoLan Player (at least ver. 0.9.8a) in capture mode (Ctrl + C) for the appropriate local mast broadcast frequency as laid out here:
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes#mapping

1. select 'Media' -> 'Open Capture Device' (ie. ctrl + C)
    2. change capture mode from 'DirectShow' to 'DVB DirectShow' and 'DVB Type' to 'DVB-T'
    3. enter the local kHz frequency (eg. three rock = 738000kHz) and click 'Play'
    4. click VLC menu option 'Playback' -> dropdown 'Program' and select from Channels listed.

Of course if you're outside mast range for the aerial you're using, it won't help much - but it got me TV where Vista Media Centre only gave me the DAB radio channels. Dual booting to WIN7 Media centre on the identical dongle setup gives me full TV too ... a bit of a headwrecker!

• Advertisement

Cheers styron!

I'll try your suggestions once I get home. I've got two of them acting the very same, on top of some of the other guys in the posts above... so I'd be surprised if they're all duds - but for a fiver... maybe it's not all that surprising? :)

Hopefully it's just a driver issue and I'll get it sorted as I didn't have the time/patience to dedicate to resolving it last night!

I'll post back with feedback later on.

I think it has something to do with the drivers.

Uninstalled the WinFast DVB Dongle in Device Manager and tried the af9015. Had to go into update drivers in the device manager.

Blaze was a bit more responsive, was able to scan for some frequencies but crashed after about 20%! Tried to scan just 738000Khz too but no luck.

Also noticed that on the XP machine the signal bar during the scan is at 100% but on windows 7 its zero.

Also the drivers on the disc I got are for af9035. Need more time to mess around with them I think.

The drivers on my CD are for an IT9130 ? :(

The drivers on my CD are for an IT9130 ? :(

When I plug it says in the device manager AF9035 BDA DEVICE.

I've been using the AF9015 driver (device comes up as AF9015 BDA device) and its a lot better. Can scan for channels in both WMC and Blaze but still not getting anything.

It now only takes about 5 seconds in WMC to scan but it comes back with 0 results.

Still not too sure about the 100% signal that I got with a XP machine. :confused:

This thing would seriously try your patience...

The name on my CD states "DVB-t (9135)"...

However, the driver install looks like this:

dvb3t.jpg

But once it's installed, it looks like this...

dvb4.jpg

I'm not sure if that's what it's meant to install as though.. ?

If I go into the driver details, it SEEMS to be using the 9135 driver... ?

dvb6b.jpg

In summary, I have no idea wtf is going on! :)

Keeps crashing stuff if I cancel a scan etc... and scans take absolutely hours and come back with 0 channels.

Your not installing the correct driver. That only puts the driver on the system i think and doesn't associate it with the hardware. When you plug it in windows automatically loads the WinFast driver.

Just click on update driver software (on the device in device manager), browse my computer, let me pick, unclick show compatible drivers.

A list should come up.

AF9035 is in Afatech Manufacturer list
    AF9015 is ITETech.

This is provided you ran both driver installs (the one one on the disc and the on uploaded here).

AF9015 seems to run better but as I said I can't get any channels from it. It stops the hanging though.

Shanegggg wrote: »
    Your not installing the correct driver. That only puts the driver on the system i think and doesn't associate it with the hardware. When you plug it in windows automatically loads the WinFast driver.

Just click on update driver software (on the device in device manager), browse my computer, let me pick, unclick show compatible drivers.

A list should come up.

AF9035 is in Afatech Manufacturer list
    AF9015 is ITETech.

This is provided you ran both driver installs (the one one on the disc and the on uploaded here).

AF9015 seems to run better but as I said I can't get any channels from it. It stops the hanging though.

Ok, but that's what I get when I install the driver via the CD and plug in the dongle - WinFast etc...

Just used your method there for the AF9035. I'll try scan some channels now and report back!

--- Ok, it's now seen as an AF9035 device but it's still taking AGES to scan. Only on 17% and it's scanning for just over an hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

Mine arrived a few weeks back, didn't get a chance to install until today.

Using Win7 and Media Center, didn't use the drivers or software in the CD.

Running perfect, no issues. Picture is perfect. I live in Oranmore, Galway.

Does anyone know how to set this up on a VU+ box? I read somewhere that it works on enigma.

NTC: Win7 32bit or 64bit?

And does it appear as a WinFast dongle when it installs? Or does it appear as something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

NTC: Win7 32bit or 64bit?

And does it appear as a WinFast dongle when it installs? Or does it appear as something else?

@Vertakill

I am using Win7 Enterprise N 32bit, and it appears as "WinFast DTV Dongle Gold BDA Device" in my device manager.

Advertisement