Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

How did you get it to work in the end?
    I have the same problem you had, no indicator lights working on thee USB dongle.
    the lights don't actually come on until it is actively tuned into a tv channel, so it's a bit of a PITA trying to find out if it's actually working properly or not.

the easiest way i've found of getting it set up is to plug it into a win7 machine as this has windows media centre built into it and will usually pick up the drivers on its own (depending on what version of win7 you have) but will also happily pick up the drivers off the CD in a pinch.

once you've got the drivers installed, just run windows media centre and tell it to search for channels and you're done. if there are any available, it will find them after a few minutes scanning once you've given it your geographical location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Got mine today ,placed my order on the 16th dec. I installed the driver and I have it working through windows media centre.

The picture doesn't seem great I'm using hdmi out . My UPC box is giving a much better picture through scart :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Lads, this is driving me nuts.
    I can't for the life of me get this to work on my Windows 7 laptop.
    I actually got two of these and none work. :pac:

I've tried using it straight out of the box with Windows Media center. Gone into the tuner settings on WMCentre but it doesn't pick it up.

I've tried loading the driver. I get a "not responding error" while installing but i'm still able to click "finish". Not sure if this means it installs tbh. Still doesn't work.

And i can't install the Blaze software at with on this device.
    Just get an error message (i've changed the Chinese characters to English as well).

Pissed off now.
    People here saying it works with W7/WMC out of the box.
    Why doesn't it work for me?
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

The aerial supplied with this will only pick up a strong signal. You may need to connect a conventional UHF aerial to the dongle, go to your attic, point the aerial in the direction of the nearest transmitter and do a scan with WMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Guys is anyone following this thread still waiting on theirs? I ordered on the 9th dec and still no show. I see others have recieved there's with order dates after mine.
    I'm guessing it's gone missing. What's the best port of call now? Paypal dispute or buyin coins direct?
    Thing is I was going to order another if the first worked and I still want to order 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I ordered two on 9th, one arrived last week, 2nd is still MIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

polaris68 wrote: »
    The aerial supplied with this will only pick up a strong signal. You may need to connect a conventional UHF aerial to the dongle, go to your attic, point the aerial in the direction of the nearest transmitter and do a scan with WMC.

Maybe.
    The odd thing is my old one of these worked beautifully on its own for a few months and then suddenly stopped picking up channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Guys is anyone following this thread still waiting on theirs? I ordered on the 9th dec and still no show. I see others have recieved there's with order dates after mine.
    I'm guessing it's gone missing. What's the best port of call now? Paypal dispute or buyin coins direct?
    Thing is I was going to order another if the first worked and I still want to order 2

I ordered mine on the 6th of december, didn't get any confirmation email from them (just paypal) and on the 20th emailed them to say WTF! Turns out my order didn't process properly so this may have happened to you too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

Mine arrived today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well see how that works out ;) thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm still waiting on mine. I ordered it on December 22nd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone in Galway city order this?

Wondering what the signal is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Anyone in Galway city order this?

Wondering what the signal is like.

I'll let you know whenever I get mine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Got mine working last night,Got it going on WMC with no problems,Im currently in Dublin City centre and it works perfectly and going to try it this weekend in cavan and will let you's know, Great Find OP.

Got mine today... Not working though it scans for channels for about an hour and comes up blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Got mine today... Not working though it scans for channels for about an hour and comes up blank!

Connect it to an outdoor aerial and scan again .... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If you have decent broadband, this is sort of useless really isn't it?

Aertv.ie has the same channels online doesn't it? Considering you're restricting yourself to A - plugging it into a laptop / PC (which you could then plug into your TV I suppose) B - hoping you actually get a signal, aertv is a better solution IMO. (though does it have a recording facility?)

Aertv.ie has the same channels online doesn't it? Considering you're restricting yourself to A - plugging it into a laptop / PC (which you could then plug into your TV I suppose) B - hoping you actually get a signal, aertv is a better solution IMO. (though does it have a recording facility?)

If your open to have unlimited download than my all means work away with aertv but for some that option isin't open to everyone and this is a good alternative. B - Yes you can record on WMC.

So Aertv is limited to decent broadband + PC;
    The dongle is limited to an aerial +PC

.... and one is useless and the other not?

Have you tried getting HD from Aertv? ..... good luck with that!
    A large number of people have limited download allowance ..... which Aertv will eat into very very quickly.

Want to record something to watch later? ..... in HD on a large TV ..... Aertv is of no use, if you want a decent picture ..... if you manage to record it.

Of course if you want to watch TV on your phone, then something like Aertv would suit I guess.

So, no, it is not useless.
    In fact it is a great way to watch quality TV pictures on a PC, or to record a film for later watching on a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

Any one know where to get adapter for connection for aerial ?

• Advertisement

Connect it to an outdoor aerial and scan again .... ?

Thanks for the suggestion but if I had an outdoor Ariel I would not have purchased this

My "New problem is that I keep getting the "blue screen of death" now when it does a scan! Anybody got a 2 cents on that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

As someone mentioned on Page 1...

THIS WILL NOT WORK IN IRELAND, BECAUSE WE USE DVB-T2 STANDARD CHANNELS AND NOT DVB-T.

It may find channels, show teletext and EPG, play sound BUT no video will show.

Or it may just scan Analogue based channels, which will be gone by October 2012.

Pov06 wrote: »

THIS WILL NOT WORK IN IRELAND, BECAUSE WE USE DVB-T2 STANDARD CHANNELS AND NOT DVB-T.

Or it may just scan Analogue based channels, which will be gone by October 2012.

How are some people picking up the Saorview service then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No. Here in Ireland we use DVB-T with MPEG4 compression.

Thanks for the suggestion but if I had an outdoor Ariel I would not have purchased this

Do you know for a fact that you have the signal strength in your location to receive the broadcasts on that small aerial?

Lack of signal strength indoors is common ...... which is why most aerials are positioned outdoors and up high to avoid obstacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    Any one know where to get adapter for connection for aerial ?

I got this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180550379298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2778wt_952

For me, even a "rabbit ears" aerial was a large improvement on the supplied aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

polaris68 wrote: »
    I got this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180550379298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2778wt_952

For me, even a "rabbit ears" aerial was a large improvement on the supplied aerial.

Weird, first time I clicked your link it told me boards.ie banned me, second time I went to ebay.

MINE WORKS WITH VIDEO AND SOUND!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    MINE WORKS WITH VIDEO AND SOUND!!

Yes, because your PC is software decoding rather than the hardware in the receiver. Its an inefficient way to watch Saorview- but any modern computer is more than up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

Mine arrived during the week but the supplied CD is blank. :confused:

Could someone please upload the driver from the CD somewhere and post a link here?

Thanks.

Advertisement