Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nalydyenlo

http://www.buyincoins.com/new_en/details/digital-tv-hdtv-dvb-t-usb-stick-dongle-tuner-recorder-receiver-product-70.html

One question. On the add for the dongle in the link above, it says in small red print at the bottom that it only supports mpeg2 and not mpeg4. I believe that Saorview is mpeg4. I was disgusted because I only saw this after I ordered it and thought I'd wasted my money. However, some of you here seem to have it working and are recieving Saorview no problem. How is this possible? Is it that the provided software and drivers only support mpeg2, and that with third party drivers and software we'll be able to pick up and decode the mpeg4 saorview signal? I only ordered it yesterday so it could be a while before I get it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Nalydyenlo wrote: »
    http://www.buyincoins.com/new_en/details/digital-tv-hdtv-dvb-t-usb-stick-dongle-tuner-recorder-receiver-product-70.html

One question. On the add for the dongle in the link above, it says in small red print at the bottom that it only supports mpeg2 and not mpeg4. I believe that Saorview is mpeg4. I was disgusted because I only saw this after I ordered it and thought I'd wasted my money. However, some of you here seem to have it working and are recieving Saorview no problem. How is this possible? Is it that the provided software and drivers only support mpeg2, and that with third party drivers and software we'll be able to pick up and decode the mpeg4 saorview signal? I only ordered it yesterday so it could be a while before I get it in the post.

As far as I know those dongles only tune in the mux and pass the received channels to the software.

It is the software that does the decoding etc.

As far as I know those dongles only tune in the mux and pass the received channels to the software.

It is the software that does the decoding etc.

That's correct. The device only demodulates the DVB-T signal to the MPEG-TS. The playback software then takes care of the rest.

Oh, thanks guys. So it seems I didn't waste my €6 euro after all (that's what it costs now). It's only their software that they provide on the disk that doesn't support mpeg4, am I right? I'd better read through this entire thread again just to see exactly which drivers, codecs etc. to use because people are saying that the provided drivers/software are crap anyway. I've got win7 so hopefully WMC will handle the viewing side of things. My order has only just been dispatched from BuyInCoins so God knows how long it will take to arrive, judging by how long some people here have had to wait.

Oh, thanks guys. So it seems I didn't waste my €6 euro after all (that's what it costs now). It's their software that they provide on the disk that doesn't support mpeg4, am I right? I'd better read through this entire thread again just to see exactly which drivers, codecs etc. to use because people are saying that the provided drivers/software are crap anyway. I've got win7 so hopefully WMC will handle the viewing side of things. My order has only just been dispatched from BuyInCoins so God knows how long it will take to arrive, judging by how long some people here have had to wait.

If their software can't do it then WMC will. WMC always uses the Microsoft codecs so isn't affected by what other codecs you have installed.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    If their software can't do it then WMC will. WMC always uses the Microsoft codecs so isn't affected by what other codecs you have installed.

That's good to know, but what about the drivers. I read on this thread that people are having issues with the ones provided. Do you think win7 will find them automatically when i plug in the device?

That's good to know, but what about the drivers. I read on this thread that people are having issues with the ones provided. Do you think win7 will find them automatically when i plug in the device?
    Probably not. Windows Update might have drivers for it. If the drivers are any way decent (BDA compliant) then they should be ok.

Karsini wrote: »
    Probably not. Windows Update might have drivers for it. If the drivers are any way decent (BDA compliant) then they should be ok.

That's OK, I'll read though this thread again because I think a few people have posted links to drivers that worked for them here anyway.

Just got mine today exactly two weeks after it shipped from BuyInCoins - not bad. No hassle at all to set up. I just plugged in the dongle and after a few minutes Windows7 (32-bit) found the driver (it shows up as an 'IT9135 BDA Device' in device manager * ). Don't be alarmed if the LEDs don't light up until you're actually watching TV. To watch, I opened Windows Media Center and after about 10-15 minutes of configuring itself and scanning, it found all the Saorview channnels. WMC & the supplied indoor antenna give me a decent picture (I'm in Cork City), but like all TV, of course you have to stand back to get the best clarity. I didn't even touch the driver & software on the mini-disk it came with - no need to. I don't know if it makes any difference or if you need it or not but I already had an MP4 Codec driver installed on my machine.

*EDIT: Plugged it into a second win7 32-bit machine and this time it showed up as a 'Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device' instead of an 'IT9135 BDA Device' and it didn't work. I uninstalled the 'Winfast' driver and then used the 32-bit driver below (thanks Rockn). Now it's an 'IT9135 BDA Device' and working correctly. Here are the working 32-bit and 64-bit drivers respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone ever get the remote working?

Also I know I asked above but I really dont like WMC and having to enter the frequencies into VLC every time is a pain so does anyone know of another program I could use? someone has to have written a 'TV manager' style app by now surely?

• Advertisement

having to enter the frequencies into VLC every time is a pain

Having tuned in VLC you should be able to Save Playlist to File ...... then opening this file with VLC in the future should give you everything set up for viewing.

Ah right, didnt know that, thanks for that.

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anyone ever get the remote working?

Also I know I asked above but I really dont like WMC and having to enter the frequencies into VLC every time is a pain so does anyone know of another program I could use? someone has to have written a 'TV manager' style app by now surely?

You could try Splash Lite. It's freeware and you can find it here:

http://mirillis.com/en/downloads/downloads_splash.html

You download it via a downloader. My anti-virus picked up the downloader as a suspect program so I had to temporarily disable it so I could run it and download the player. The player itself gives a good quality picture, scanning channels doesn't take too long and the interface is simple and easy to use. Also unlike VLC, it will remember your channels. It's basic enough, so it doesn't support recording or a TV guide. Oddly enough, the PRO version which isn't freeware doesn't have any TV functionality at all as I discovered when I downloaded a torrent of it - strange! Apparently they are going to release Splash TV at some stage which will have the full functionality of a 'TV manager' - recording, TV guide etc. but for now Splash Lite fulfills the basic viewing requirements.

EDIT: I don't think the remote works for anyone - me included.

Thanks, will give it a try, heres a Cnet link for it that wont run any dodgy downloaders:

http://download.cnet.com/Splash-Lite/3000-13632_4-10972188.html

I think saving the playlist to file in VLC like Johnboy1951 said is the way to go for now though, my week is split between Dublin and Galway and I can have a Dublin file and a Galway file...

I gonna download VLC next. A lot of people seem to be using it here and I want to explore as many options as possible. Having to manually input the frequencies is what was putting me off using it, but now that there's a workaround, I must check it out. I'm having so much fun with my new toy!:D

EDIT: I downloaded VLC but haven't a clue how to set it up to watch TV. I go to 'open capture device' and under that there's an option to select TV(digital) under capture mode and then a check box to select DVT-B but after that I'm lost. I have to input a value for 'Transponder/multiplex frequency' and I don't know what to put in. I guess I'll read back over this forum to see if I can get any clue.

EDIT 2: Solved. Found my frequency here: http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes#mapping
    and then 'media -> save playlist to file' to store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone who gets this working for me, i'll be eternally grateful. :p
    This thing has done my head in since i got it.
    Never got it to work but i wouldn't mind sorting this out before the analog shutdown.

I'm using Windows 7. Windows Media Centre.
    It seems to recognise the device straight off without using the CD driver so i just went with that. But when Windows Media Centre scans it picks up no channels. That's even if i attach the antenna to metal (eg a radiator).

I may have to attach an alternative UHF aerial i suppose. But will i have to stick this on the roof or would such an aerial work indoors.

Thanks.

It might be a driver issue. Windows sometimes picks up the wrong driver.

Go to your device manager (start -> right click 'computer' -> manage -> device manager) and under the heading 'Sound, Video and Game controllers', if you have a 'Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device' listed instead of an 'IT9135 BDA Device' then you need to uninstall that and install the driver I posted on the previous page to this (page 21 of this forum).

1. Download & extract the new driver archive (32 bit or 64 bit depending on your machine - I posted both).

2. To uninstall the old driver, in device manager, right click 'Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device' and select uninstall. You'll need to reboot to complete the uninstall. Disconnect from the internet while rebooting to ensure it doesn't try to install the wrong one again.

3. Now go to your device manager again and the dongle will now be listed as an unknown device.

4. Next right click on the unknown device and choose 'update driver software' and then 'browse computer for driver software'. Make sure to check 'Include Subfolders' box and navigate to where you extracted the new driver.

It should then install and the device should be listed as 'IT9135 BDA Device' . If this wasn't the issue then it is more than likely your reception. Also it wouldn't hurt to Google 'K-Lite Codec Pack' and download & install that just in case. Hope this helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

It might be a driver issue. Windows sometimes picks up the wrong driver.

Go to your device manager (start -> right click 'computer' -> manage -> device manager) and under the heading 'Sound, Video and Game controllers', if you have a 'Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device' listed instead of an 'IT9135 BDA Device' then you need to uninstall that and install the driver I posted on the previous page to this (page 21 of this forum).

1. Download & extract the new driver archive (32 bit or 64 bit depending on your machine - I posted both).

2. To uninstall the old driver, in device manager, right click 'Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device' and select uninstall. You'll need to reboot to complete the uninstall. Disconnect from the internet while rebooting to ensure it doesn't try to install the wrong one again.

3. Now go to your device manager again and the dongle will now be listed as an unknown device.

4. Next right click on the unknown device and choose 'update driver software' and then 'browse computer for driver software'. Make sure to check 'Include Subfolders' box and navigate to where you extracted the new driver.

It should then install and the device should be listed as 'IT9135 BDA Device' . If this wasn't the issue then it is more than likely your reception. Also it wouldn't hurt to Google 'K-Lite Codec Pack' and download & install that just in case. Hope this helps.:)

Thanks.
    No, i've tried this but it just says Windows couldn't recognise the driver.
    My heart is broken with this thing. :p
    I think i'll just give up.

Never got it to work but i wouldn't mind sorting this out before the analog shutdown.

It seems to recognise the device straight off without using the CD driver so i just went with that. But when Windows Media Centre scans it picks up no channels. That's even if i attach the antenna to metal (eg a radiator).

I may have to attach an alternative UHF aerial i suppose. But will i have to stick this on the roof or would such an aerial work indoors.

Thanks.

Try attaching an outdoor aerial to it, at least temporarily, and see if it is working OK.

If yes then you are not in a location with a strong enough signal to use the wee aerial that is supplied with the device.
    That is not the fault of the device or the driver etc
    Purely location and signal strength difficulties ;)

Thanks.
    No, i've tried this but it just says Windows couldn't recognise the driver.
    My heart is broken with this thing. :p
    I think i'll just give up.

That's a shame. Where is your location? Maybe there's a poor signal where you are but I still suspect it may be a driver issue. I got lucky. Windows found the right driver for me straight up (IT9135 BDA Device) but when I plugged it into a second machine, it somehow found the wrong driver (Winfast DTV Dongle Dual Device) and I had to uninstall that and replace it with the good one. It's working on both machines now. Why not try the driver on the mini-disc. That's an IT9130 BDA driver too, but it's an older version and it's not signed. Some report that it takes longer to scan channels. Worth a try though.

• Advertisement

...I know I asked above but I really dont like WMC and having to enter the frequencies into VLC every time is a pain so does anyone know of another program I could use? someone has to have written a 'TV manager' style app by now surely?

Here's a VLC playlist for the Saorview TV channels I made using notepad. It's handy because you don't need to enter the frequency each time and you don't have to go to 'playback -> programme' every time you want to change the channel - simply use the navigator. Paste the code into notepad and change the dvb frequency in each track to that of your local transmitter and then save it with the extension .xspf instead of .txt. Frequencies can be found here: http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes#mapping
    It's set to work in Cork city, so change the frequency of each channel from 666000000 to whatever yours is and it should work. When you edit and save it as an .xspf file, clicking on it should open VLC player with the playlist loaded. If not right, click it and open it with VLC.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <playlist xmlns="http://xspf.org/ns/0/" xmlns:vlc="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/ns/0/" version="1">
    	<title>Saorview Playlist</title>
    	<trackList>
    		<track>
    			<title>RTE 1</title>
    			<location>dvb-t://</location>
    			<duration>2700000</duration>
    			<extension application="http://www.videolan.org/vlc/playlist/0">
    				<vlc:id>0</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>dvb-frequency=666000000</vlc:option>
    				<vlc:option>dvb-bandwidth=8</vlc:option>
    				<vlc:option>program=1101</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    		<track>
    			<title>RTE 2</title>
    				<vlc:id>1</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>program=1102</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    		<track>
    			<title>TV 3</title>
    				<vlc:id>2</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>program=1103</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    		<track>
    			<title>TG 4</title>
    				<vlc:id>3</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>program=1104</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    		<track>
    			<title>RTE NEWS NOW</title>
    				<vlc:id>4</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>program=1105</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    		<track>
    			<title>3 e</title>
    				<vlc:id>5</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>program=1106</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    		<track>
    			<title>RTE Junior</title>
    				<vlc:id>6</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>program=1107</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    		<track><title>RTE one + 1</title>
    				<vlc:id>7</vlc:id>
    				<vlc:option>program=1108</vlc:option>
    			</extension>
    		</track>
    	</trackList>
    </playlist>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Been trying to get one of these working on and off for the last few months, never actually got it going so far..... but fished it out again for another go.

I'm in Dunmore, Co. Galway, last time I tried, according to a frequency map linked somewhere earlier in the thread my signal. comes from Maghera, channel 48, 690MHz - Does anyone know if this is correct for this area?

I've had no luck so far with this, also tried Castlebar channel 22, 482MHz and Tonabrocky channel 26, 514MHz without success. The device is recognised and listed under Device Manager on a windows ultimate 64 PC as 'IT9135 BDA Device'

I even tried manually installing the 64Bit Driver posted above but no joy yet. Tried it in Windows Media Center, it detects the tuner but the scan always returns 'no channels found'. I have seen the signal strength go to 100% during a scan with Blaze Video, with the corresponding Quality bar at zero % but the scan finishes with no channels found here too.

Not using a roof Aerial, but I have been trying a large telescopic 'V' type portable tv aerial which picks up analogue indoors - I have this located outside my window in the open on top of the roof of my Van (only to see if I can get this bloody thing to work) then I will sort out something a bit more refined ;)............ (stick it on the wifes car instead... hehehehehehe)..... but joking aside, if anyone knows for definite the correct frequency for the area and if the signal is strong, weak or non existent etc I would love to hear.

I dunno mate. Seems like your driver is correct. Try and find out the quality of the signal in your area. If it's poor there's not much you can do apart from trying to hook it up to an external aerial. As regards frequencies for the different areas, they are listed here in KHz:
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes#mapping
    Also, make sure any old drivers for the device were completely removed/uninstalled as there might be some kind of conflict going on. In device manager, right click on the device and the click update driver and then 'browse my computer for driver software' . Then look at 'let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer' and if there's any other drivers there, remove them. The only way I know how to remove them is to install them and then uninstall them again making sure to check the 'remove driver files from my computer' (or something like that) checkbox. Then re-install the proper driver. Hope this helps.

iPhone. wrote: »
    Been trying to get one of these working on and off for the last few months, never actually got it going so far..... but fished it out again for another go.

I'm in Dunmore, Co. Galway, last time I tried, according to a frequency map linked somewhere earlier in the thread my signal. comes from Maghera, channel 48, 690MHz - Does anyone know if this is correct for this area?

I've had no luck so far with this, also tried Castlebar channel 22, 482MHz and Tonabrocky channel 26, 514MHz without success. The device is recognised and listed under Device Manager on a windows ultimate 64 PC as 'IT9135 BDA Device'

I even tried manually installing the 64Bit Driver posted above but no joy yet. Tried it in Windows Media Center, it detects the tuner but the scan always returns 'no channels found'. I have seen the signal strength go to 100% during a scan with Blaze Video, with the corresponding Quality bar at zero % but the scan finishes with no channels found here too.

Not using a roof Aerial, but I have been trying a large telescopic 'V' type portable tv aerial which picks up analogue indoors - I have this located outside my window in the open on top of the roof of my Van (only to see if I can get this bloody thing to work) then I will sort out something a bit more refined ............ (stick it on the wifes car instead... hehehehehehe)..... but joking aside, if anyone knows for definite the correct frequency for the area and if the signal is strong, weak or non existent etc I would love to hear.
    If you can pick up tv3 analog indoors on rabbit ears or another small aerial and its clear that's a rough indicator that you have a good signal, the little magnetic thing that comes with this is better than you'd think even when not stuck to a large lump of metal, I'm out in Kinvara in Galway and its crystal clear in an area that still struggles with phone reception.

My advice is go back to page 17 of this thread, there are 2 solutions posted, this is the one that worked for me by Rockn after I wasted a weekend trying everything to get it working, try it first but uninstall every driver you tried already and reboot first:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77608966&postcount=252

I also remember for a fact that I had to reboot first to get it working after installing so maybe you've already solved it yourself but missed out because of that?

Oh crap just realized thats the 64 bit driver, sorry, try contacting him anyway he might have another version and e knows his stuff, its not a 64 bit version of Windows you have like me is it?

Oh crap just realized thats the 64 bit driver, sorry, try contacting him anyway he might have another version and e knows his stuff, its not a 64 bit version of Windows you have like me is it?

I re-posted both of rockn's drivers together on page 21 -the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions. They work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thanks.

Windows 7 Media Centre, needs a lot of updates, which are available. Is Media Centre up to Date? I remember ages ago having a real hard time with Media Centre trying to get it to tune in from my TV card, From the Same PC with Vista installed, and Media Centre, i had no problems at all.

I believe now, with Updates to Windows 7, it is fine.

Anyway, I gave up and I tried a few Different ones instead.

MediaPortal

Many Different Ones

But i ended up with PowerCinema at the time, and it was perfect. Which i now have installed alongside Boxee (H4cked Version).

I never had any problems since, but i am currently about to switch to MediaPortal, as it suits my wants better. :)

I not so sure about that. WMC in Win7 and the dongle work fine for me and I've had automatic updates switched off for over a year (ever since I did a fresh install). I have about 2GB of updates backed up that Windows 7 wants to download & install, but I don't let it cause I don't have the bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Could be a different version of Windows 7, could have different updates, could be a different version of Media Center.

The 2GB of updates is probably for Win 7 as a whole. I just meant Media Center.

Worth a shot anyway, to download one of them, as that's what worked for me.

I never had a problem in Vista, so maybe this isn't the same problem that i had, but maybe worth a look at

EDIT: sorry, i linked to the wrong video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Anyone know where I can get one of theses? An external aerial would he necessary too .thanks

Advertisement