Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but could anyone recommend a trail shoe for a trail running beginner?

I wear Saucony Ride 7s for road running.

(sorry if this is the wrong place).

I think the Saucony Nomad TR is pretty similar to the Ride.

http://runblogger.com/2015/09/saucony-nomad-tr-trail-shoe-review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

From the limited sample of people who posted in the DCM thread, it seems ASICS is the most popular marathon shoes around these parts:
    ASICS 20
    Saucony 13
    Brooks 11
    Mizuno 9
    Adidas 7
    NB 6
    Other 5
    Nike 4

Just took delivery of a pair of Skechers Go Run Ride 3s for €42 Euro from mandmdirect but see they have dropped to €33 now.
    http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/SK569
    Skechers-GoRun-Ride-3-side.jpg
    Can't go wrong for that price.
    So far I have had New Balance, ASICS, Adidas, Salomon, Nike, Puma, Saucony, Inov8 so first time to try Skechers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

dna_leri wrote: »
    I think the Saucony Nomad TR is pretty similar to the Ride.

http://runblogger.com/2015/09/saucony-nomad-tr-trail-shoe-review.html

Similar but not really built for typical Irish trails and woodland. Its like the Brooks PureGrit2 which had a sole for American dry trails. Useless in mud or any wet stuff at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but could anyone recommend a trail shoe for a trail running beginner?

I wear Saucony Ride 7s for road running.

(sorry if this is the wrong place).

I'm going to follow this up and ask the same ... I will of course talk to the people in the shop, but what would be the answer for someone who is a supinator. I am wearing Saucony Jazz these days, which are great ... I used to be in the Mizuno Wave Riders until the recent 'upgrade' made the sole less flexible & caused problems for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

What would everyone recommend for road running? I have been through a few pairs of Nikes that I found very comfortable but just didn't last too long. Would be happy to spend a little extra if it meant I didn't have to change them too frequently!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

dekbhoy wrote: »
    adidas boost and now adidas boost ultra. really good shoe imo on hard surfaces
    I have a pair of ultra boost. Love them but they wear very easy. Not great if doing big millage IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I have a pair of adidas sequence boosts that I've clocked 1100 miles on. Really excellent wearing shoe with ample cushioning for the road. I even bought the same shoe again, the first time I've ever done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I second the positive reports on adidas boost... On my second pair of supernova glides and second pair of bostons. 500 miles on the first pair of glides and no sign of lack of responsiveness yet. Lovely light shoes although the fit in the bostons is narrower than it used to be. Definitely an adidas fan now after trying out plenty of the alternatives...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Brooks ghost 7 for training, mizuno wave 4 for 5km races and mizuno wave mujin for trails. Tempted to replace the wave 4s with something that will suit me better for 5-10km races. The ones I have are a half size too big too I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Replacement for my pure drifts for recovery runs

Skora Tempo

867594d771ab921ec3906ff47e282b01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

BB67, you're a true shoe slut.

Speaking of which, do you know where's the best bargains for faas 300 ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    BB67, you're a true shoe slut.

Speaking of which, do you know where's the best bargains for faas 300 ?

Thanks for the compliment :)

pricespy.co.uk is your friend, usually throws up Amazon if you get lucky with your sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Currently rotating between the Puma Faas 300, Skechers Go Run, Adidas Boston Boost and Adios Boost. Like them all but I'm particularly fond of the Skechers due to the big toe box. I'm on to my second pair. These ones glow in the dark. Really.

A bit disappointed with the wear of the Adios Boost. These should be a great racer but I'm a forefoot striker and the rubber there is almost worn down after just 100 miles.Will probably still use them for my half marathon next week.

The Boston boosts feel very similar to the Faas 300s but retail at more than double the price. I've 300 miles done in the Pumas and they're like new. The Boston's are new so can't really commwnt.

TL/DR Skechers Go Run and Puma Faas 300 are exceptional value as neutral racers/trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Sandwell wrote: »
    Currently rotating between the Puma Faas 300, Skechers Go Run, Adidas Boston Boost and Adios Boost. Like them all but I'm particularly fond of the Skechers due to the big toe box. I'm on to my second pair. These ones glow in the dark. Really.

A bit disappointed with the wear of the Adios Boost. These should be a great racer but I'm a forefoot striker and the rubber there is almost worn down after just 100 miles.Will probably still use them for my half marathon next week.

The Boston boosts feel very similar to the Faas 300s but retail at more than double the price. I've 300 miles done in the Pumas and they're like new. The Boston's are new so can't really commwnt.

TL/DR Skechers Go Run and Puma Faas 300 are exceptional value as neutral racers/trainers.

I'm just breaking in a pair of Skechers Go Run Ride 3 as pictured above (€33!). I quite like them even though they don't "feel fast" as yet if you know what I mean. I have a pair of Boston Boost as well. Loved them initially - I think i praised them earlier on in this thread, but in all honesty for me anything over 2 to 2.5 hours then they start to feel a bit thin in the forefoot. I love there responsiveness and bounce though, and I'll still do my fast paced workouts and races up to half marathon in them. I'd be interested in trying out the Faas 300s based on your comments if I can get them cheap enough, so if you can when you have the Bostons worn in a bit I'd loved to hear how you think they compare. Also have a pair of supernova glide Boost which I'm a bit undecided about even after putting 300 miles on them. Initially they were a bit tight on the top of my foot and I never really felt 100% comfortable in them. Had 2 pairs of Brooks Ghost 7s earlier on in the year. I switched because the outsole wore out incredibly fast, but I loved them so I might see if I can pick up a cheap pair around Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Just ordered a pair of Saucony Xodus 6.0 GTX Shoes in anticipation of the coming winter snows/ice. Have to keep my running streak going. I've never owned trail shoes before.

About to retire my 6th pair of Brooks ST5 Racer, so far 3.5k happy miles.
    A great all-round shoe, have my 7th pair with about 2 thirds of their life left, so will be keeping an eye on Black Friday deals.

Broke the seal on these last night, very nice, very, very nice!

23753731591_e64e494390_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

How many feckin pairs of runners is that, 200-300? Nice though.

tang1 wrote: »
    How many feckin pairs of runners is that, 200-300? Nice though.

Always buy ahead of the curve, saves a lot of money, like to push the boat out on shoes destined for racing though.

I end up buying the odd lemon, but generally great value to be had, 6 pairs of Pumas delivered during the week for €152 - 3 for me, so I'm good for 2016.

Targeting several pairs over the next few months that have 300+ miles on them, need a bit of a cul as there's a fair few in rotation at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I notice good prices on faas 500 and 600, does anyone know the difference between these two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

My first dabble into the sales.... Inov 8 TrailRoc 255, Cant wait to get them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KR6C7YE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

My first dabble into the sales.... Inov 8 TrailRoc 255, Cant wait to get them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KR6C7YE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Folks, have never bought a pair of trail runners. What's good for mud? Won't be doing any mad technical descent stuff in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, have never bought a pair of trail runners. What's good for mud? Won't be doing any mad technical descent stuff in them.

I'd recommend you go to 53 degrees north or somewhere like that and try on the Inov 8 trail rocs.

Took these on a 16 mile jaunt this morning with no issues, very light and comfortable, hoping to take them to marathon distance. There's not much going on in the heel and that combined with the sliver of boost foam from the mid sole to the toe encourages a mid foot strike.
    The 2nd best pair of shoes I've purchased in a long time.

Took these on a 16 mile jaunt this morning with no issues, very light and comfortable, hoping to take them to marathon distance. There's not much going on in the heel and that combined with the sliver of boost foam from the mid sole to the toe encourages a mid foot strike.

How heavy are you BeepBeep67 as a matter of interest? Always big fan of adidas shoes but felt they were a bit light for my body weight.

tang1 wrote: »
    How heavy are you BeepBeep67 as a matter of interest? Always big fan of adidas shoes but felt they were a bit light for my body weight.

71, will be 68-69 when it comes to racing though

71, will be 68-69 when it comes to racing though

Right, good deal lighter than me. Loved the Bostons but the more recent models are a bit to light and low to the ground for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Got my first ever pair of Nike yesterday, the Pegasus 32. Just really liked the feel of them, hope they're as good on the road. Any thoughts? Up to marathon distance?

• Advertisement

Cryptic post there. So what Adidas model are they and what's the best pair purchased?

Advertisement