Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No , they owned the pub and opened it. Dockyard’s owners are called O’Sullivan , Lauren being the front of house lady, can’t remember her husband’s name.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

So there's only 1 pub in Little Bray now.

I was driving past Murphys on the Dargle Road the other day thinking wouldn't it be great to have a nice local restaurant / bar down this part of the town (Little Bray).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think it's just that pub culture is becoming less and less of a thing with the cost of it vs. stay at home and having a few, younger people drinking less and when they do, they are being drawn to places with food/nightlife attached to them which the beach provides in spades.

If O'Sullivan's couldn't make food work (tough business these days) whilst being on a Main Street, it's not going to work down on the Dargle road,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

As much as I'd love something down the dargle I fear this is true on both counts O'Sullivans always felt grim to me despite an attempt to make it look and feel nice but again never had the food so cant comment on the quality.

The dream would be a horse and hound/bellevue type place which does the best bar/restaurant grub/guiness in the bray/greystones/delgany tri-state area imo

But it would never work for many reasons some being demand for that type of place / demographic and what's already there filling the need meaning people wouldn't pay more.

Can't help but dream for a nice restaurant / drinks place in little Bray though

Love the horse and hound setup and agree would love more of that type on my door step for sure but yeah as you say it's wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

We used to go to O'Sullivan's quite often before Covid and really liked it and I thought the food was nice. Never thought it felt grim but then after Covid once they stopped serving food and started offering drink specials the crowd went downhill pretty fast. I stopped in for a pint last summer and did think it was grim and haven't been back since. I had heard that they were struggling to make a profit on the place from the beginning.

That's a shame. My experience is only post-covid unfortunately so that's sad to hear. Hopefully whoever has the reigns will turn it back around.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

John Duggan has bought the building formerly housing Hiltons, Maguires and Florentine Bar to turn into another receptionless hotel similar to Firefly.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Went down to the seafront for the BBQ festival today. Great to see a buzz around the place. Bit disappointed with the food though. Really surprised by how expensive it all was. Desperately disappointed by my burger. Overcooked with no salads at all, only options were cheese and ketchup. Wife had a Taiwanese fried chicken, absolutely tiny portion at full price and utterly bland in taste. Won't be rushing back.

• Advertisement

Was down there today. The food I had was ok. There was a good mux of food. The coffee truck serving the vermicelli desserts was fab. Slightly expensive but absolutely delicious.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Great for the town to have more accommodation options and great for the Main St.

Was up in Duffs last evening. Really nice atmosphere and the same age profile (mature) as it was before the Duggans took it over and did it up.

Nice pint. Good service. The only place on the Main Street I would drink.

Great to have something going into the Florentine bar, always struck me as odd at how awful it looked for so long .

The food quality at the festival was never great to begin with, I doubt the quality has improved to match the "cost of ingredients/running a business" rises, shame though as the idea of the festival is great.

Have to agree with the comments on the fest. Was happy to see a few interesting stalls e.g. afro carribbean and nite n day korean based in North inner city.

Had hoped the afro carribean would be doing bbq jerk chicken but was more a stew type thing. Didn't impress.

Same for night and day and also had the Taiwanese bao. Everything quite pricey but again its very difficult to work around cost of operating and delivering really good grub out of a truck to large crowds.

That said I did see people with overcooked charred burger pucks. You'd thing they'd be able to pull off cooking a burger.

That said Despite all my moaning...I loved it and will.be down next weekend to try out more things.

Would love something like that more regular in bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

had a look on the planning site and there doesn't seem to be any planning application in for the address at all. Last ones were from joe maguire back in the mid 2000's.

Highly recommend anyone down the seafront to grab a bite from delhi2dublin.

my indian mate was very excited to see some dishes he'd not seen here before. Think they're in temple bar at the weekend usually

New cafe at 53 Main Street Bray

https://www.facebook.com/irishfirehound

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Run by the guys who used to run the coffee van in Belmont during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

What's going into the old fisherman's cottage beside Milanos chipper. Looks like a pizza oven has been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Looks more like a sauna...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Seen some construction materials delivered to the town centre yesterday, the only thing construction related I have seen in months up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Not sure which is a bigger joke.... Bray Central completion or the cliff walk reopening. We went sale agreed on our house in April 2022. Bray Central was supposed to be open before we moved in. We will be in our new house 1 year in a few weeks time. 😀

It's the fitout for the stella

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think everything will be complete by November. Cinema will be open and anchor shops (Penneys and Sports Direct in).

Very easy to say it was a joke but no doubt they faced challenges with Covid and that probably made retailers reluctant to open new shops.

I'm just happy there's an end in sight and hopefully we have a decent cinema in the town which is the biggest facility for me as Holland & Barrett and Sports Direct are not great additions imho.

Wouldn't regard cliff walk as a joke either. It's got serious landsliding issues that are not easily fixed or may never be fixed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I hope you are right but I will believe it when I see it.

I agree that the cinema would be a great addition to Bray. I don’t see Sports Direct as a worthwhile addition, I would have thought there is a sufficient supply of similar sports goods already in Bray.

I don't get the constant slating off of the cliff walk not being open. If the walk way is dangerous, from either falling rocks or unsafe walking paths the Council are right not to open it. It will take a huge effort and large scale engineering works to resolve due to the location of it which in turn means money.

I hope so. It will be a great addition to the town and bring a bit more life to the area at night time.

Can I ask how you know this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Cliff Walk has been closed for over 2 years now because the path collapsed at the Greystones end. This has happened loads of time, they move the path inland and reopen - it's never taken this long before. The rockfall at the other end needs some netting, which again they've done loads of time before.

• Advertisement

Know someone involved.

They actually said Sept so could be wrong.

Advertisement