Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Switched over. Hurray! :D

I wonder if Tesco Mobile have any plans on to expand their webtext service like O2 has, to show if a webtext has been delivered? It was quite a handy feature at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

Looking into things for my dad. He is thinking of moving from Vodafone bill pay to Tesco (maybe bill pay). Some questions:

Can his number be moved over without any loss in service to the number? How would that be done? If there has to be a loss in service to the number, how long?

Would any sim free phone from amazon work on Tesco Mobile?

Is the coverage always the same as for o2 customers for text and talk? e.g. o2 customers might have priority if there are too many on the network.

These questions are important because my dad will be using it for work too.

Why can you not view pay monthly plans (except for sim only plans) on the website? The plans are not shown at http://shop.tescomobile.ie/pay-monthly-plans.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

anitaca wrote: »
    Can his number be moved over without any loss in service to the number? How would that be done? If there has to be a loss in service to the number, how long?

Number porting is normally quick and normally results in no loss of service.
    Would any sim free phone from amazon work on Tesco Mobile?

Yes.
    Is the coverage always the same as for o2 customers for text and talk? e.g. o2 customers might have priority if there are too many on the network.

O2 customer are not subject to the same data speed limits as Tesco Mobile customers. Apart from that, it is all the same.
    Why can you not view pay monthly plans (except for sim only plans) on the website? The plans are not shown at http://shop.tescomobile.ie/pay-monthly-plans.aspx

Subsidised phone plans require you to firstly click on the phone that you want and then click to see the plans attached to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

I just switched over to PAYG tesco yesterday, I bought 10e credit and I recieved 10e bonus yesterday evening. I checked my balance there by pressing *100# and its says my balance is 0.20c and my bonus credit is 0.01c. What gives?

I made only one phonecall that lasted 5mins, got through to a mates voicemail 3 times and I didnt leave a voicemail, I sent no texts nor was I on the net.

Hope someone can help

I would think that this has got to be an error... was with tesco mobile for over two years and got trible credit, bought 20 and received 40 free, resulting in 60 for the price of twenty. changed to O2 a year ago as i got a free Samsumg galaxy if i signed for a year but will go back to Tesco soon...

NJS007 wrote: »
    I would think that this has got to be an error... was with tesco mobile for over two years and got trible credit, bought 20 and received 40 free, resulting in 60 for the price of twenty. changed to O2 a year ago as i got a free Samsumg galaxy if i signed for a year but will go back to Tesco soon...

By 'triple credit' I assume you are referring to a combo of the so-called 'double credit' reward and the legacy 'new customer reward' of free credit.

You will no longer get this, if you switch back, as Tesco now have a lesser 'new customer reward'.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Fungus wrote: »
    ...a poor 'new customer reward' in relative terms. Meteor, for example, give new customers €240.00 in free phone credit when you port to Meteor and satisfy their terms.

Out of curiosity, which would be better over the course of a year for a set package?

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, which would be better over the course of a year for a set package?

No simple answer. It all depends on your usage profile.

Do you need access to data ? Do you make heavy weekday calls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭grasshopper31

Anyone know if you are charged to send txt to check balances?

Anyone know if you are charged to send txt to check balances?

It's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭grasshopper31

Thanks fungus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I went to the Tesco Kiosk in the Jervis Centre earlier and have gone through the motions of porting my number. Interesting to read the comments above about the time taken to port and the data speeds on Tesco.

In my case, the Tesco reps told me that

(a) it only took about 5 minutes to port a number, and in my case, it should be no more than one hour max. So far, nearly three hours have elaspsed and still no sign of being moved

(b) Data speeds are identical to 02 and there are no differences. Comments above and elsewhere here suggest otherwise... :rolleyes:

I know what I've let myself in for as I've researched it as best I can, but clearly Tesco's frontline staff would do well to give customers more accurate info than they gave me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

By 'triple credit' I assume you are referring to a combo of the so-called 'double credit' reward and the legacy 'new customer reward' of free credit.

You will no longer get this, if you switch back, as Tesco now have a lesser 'new customer reward'.

Hi All

Double Credit is a core part of our plan and will remain so.

For porting you get 250 Clubcard points awarded. You will also get 250 points for each of the next 3 months where you topup by 10eur or more in a single go.

regards
    Paul

The Tesco 'new customer reward' is aprox. €10 in Tesco vouchers via 750 points (€7.50) when you register your Clubcard & top up by €10 or more every month for the first 3 months and 250 points (€2.50) when you port your number.

It is a poor 'new customer reward' in relative terms. Meteor, for example, give new customers €240.00 in free phone credit when you port to Meteor and satisfy their terms.

Hi there

Clubcard points can be worth far more than their intrinsic value when used in conjunction with Tesco Clubcard Deals.

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcarddeals/

Meteor's deal matches credit up to €240 for 12 months for porting customers. We match every single topup you make of €10 or more without any limit or time or amount (whether you port or not).

regards
    Paul

shamwari wrote: »
    I went to the Tesco Kiosk in the Jervis Centre earlier and have gone through the motions of porting my number. Interesting to read the comments above about the time taken to port and the data speeds on Tesco.

In my case, the Tesco reps told me that

(a) it only took about 5 minutes to port a number, and in my case, it should be no more than one hour max. So far, nearly three hours have elaspsed and still no sign of being moved

(b) Data speeds are identical to 02 and there are no differences. Comments above and elsewhere here suggest otherwise... :rolleyes:

I know what I've let myself in for as I've researched it as best I can, but clearly Tesco's frontline staff would do well to give customers more accurate info than they gave me.

Hi Shamwari

Apologies the sales agent should be aware of the differences in data speeds. Porting is somewhat outside their control. It usually takes about 30 mins but if there are issues can take a while.

Can you PM me your number and I will look into this?

regards
    Paul

Double Credit is a core part of our plan and will remain so.

I don't doubt that for a second. One just has to look at the strategy employed by Tesco Mobile UK who went from time limited 'double credit' to time limited 'triple credit'. It is clearly a long term proposition. For clarity, my prior comments above were solely related to the 'new customer reward'.
    intrinsic value when used in conjunction with Tesco Clubcard Deals.

Yes but in a highly limited set of promotional circumstances like with Dublin Zoo. Suits some mobile customers, does not suit other mobile customers. Free credit, like most other mobile providers providers offer as a 'new customer reward' suits the vast majority of mobile customers.

I would imagine that the majority people use ClubCard vouchers in Tesco.
    Meteor's deal matches credit up to €240 for 12 months for porting customers. We match every single topup you make of €10 or more without any limit or time or amount (whether you port or not).

With meteor you top up by 20 EUR and for the first 12 months you get:
    €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts for 30 days OR
    €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free any network texts for 30 days OR
    €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free any network evening and weekend calls for 30 days.

Versus

Tesco: €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free Tesco to Tesco calls & texts.

The vast majority of people are better off with free any network texts or free any network evening and weekend calls than restrictive one operator to one operator calls/texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Hi there.

I have a small billing issue. I can furnish you with the exact details if you require them, but just to paraphrase the issue, I had expected my monthly bill to have been extracted from my account but hadn't been, even more than two weeks after the invoice was issued (I have since realised that this is 2 working weeks that it will be taken out...and so it was extracted today). That seems all in order there, but I was keen to find out why one of the CS reps needed more information as per below.

So when I called to inquire about it the representative told me the reason the money hadn't be taken out thusfar was that there was a problem with the system (which there eventually wasn't as the funds did come out today) and that she would need my laser card details to continue my payments as there was an issue with my a/c and sort code details on their system.

I don't really get this process to be honest. I asked could my account details be put in again and have the DD amended, to which she replied, unassuredly that it could not. This seems strange to me, and I've never had an issue with a DD when I had provided my details.

I'm not sure why the laser card was necessary either.
    Are laser cards not just for one-time transactions? Or can the details on them be utilised as a DD, which is what she was attempting to 'explain' to me?

I gave her my laser details anyway, as I don't really mind, but I'm just confused as to the method of this monthly payment.
    My monthly payments, with any other company, are always by way of me submitting my a/c number and sort code and a DD or standing order etc is set up (which is what I did upon joining TM). I don't really know where the laser card bit comes into it.

So when I noticed the monthly fee deducted today I realised that the initial DD was in operation (there was no system anomaly with my account) and the CS rep probably wasn't sure of the process.

When I called today, I was told that the 2 weeks after invoice is a 14 working day period. So that makes sense now. I asked to have my laser card details erased from the system as it appears they are now unnecessary for the transaction.

Can you maybe explain why the laser card transaction was necessary? And why the system can't be amended should one want to input/amend their bank a/c details on TM's system?

Sorry for the long inquiry. albeit only promising a paraphrasing...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Hi Paul. A couple of questions for you.

Currently a PAYG customer of vodafones but frankly, their rates are excessive - as I top up for basic internet access but don't need all the ruddy credit.

In Switching over to yourselves, a couple of queries...

1. Will be changing number so will just pick up a tesco sim. What do I need to provide in store to get the sim? Do you need ID?
    2. I will be going for a PAYG option. Can I just purchase credit in-store with cash?
    3. Is it possible to use the tesco sim with a 3G dongle - or is that an add-on??
    4. I will be using this for little if any calls/texts. I see there is a PAYG data addon at €6.99/30 days. I take it that the calls/texts rates are these default rates here?

thanks in advance for your assistance.

1. Will be changing number so will just pick up a tesco sim. What do I need to provide in store to get the sim? Do you need ID?
    2. I will be going for a PAYG option. Can I just purchase credit in-store with cash?
    3. Is it possible to use the tesco sim with a 3G dongle - or is that an add-on??
    4. I will be using this for little if any calls/texts. I see there is a PAYG data addon at €6.99/30 days. I take it that the calls/texts rates are these default rates here?

1. The sims are free online. No ID required in store.

2. Yes or online.

3. No and No.

4. Yes.

1. The sims are free online. No ID required in store.
    2. Yes or online.
    4. Yes.
    Hi Fungus - thanks for the clarity on that. Wasn't expecting someone to come back until the morning so thanks for answering my query so quickly.
    3. No and No.
    Is this likely to be introduced as an add-on anytime soon?

No worries, I am simply saying that Tesco currently do not officially offer a dongle service.

• Advertisement

No worries, I am simply saying that Tesco currently do not officially offer a dongle service.
    Ok, thanks. Will see if Paul has an update on this when he checks in here tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cyril706

hi, there, anyone find that tessco mobile's wap is not very stable. Or it is just me find my wap always drops

Hi Paul. A couple of questions for you.

Currently a PAYG customer of vodafones but frankly, their rates are excessive - as I top up for basic internet access but don't need all the ruddy credit.

In Switching over to yourselves, a couple of queries...

3. Is it possible to use the Tesco sim with a 3G dongle - or is that an add-on??

thanks in advance for your assistance.

1. You can just pick up a SIM instore or order online for free here

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/free-international-sims.aspx

2. Yes, in any tesco and most Payzone/PayPoint and Omnivend outlets. Or register your laser/credit card and topup from online or by text.

3. Yes, of course you can use our SIM in any unlocked 3G dongle. We put no restrictions on data either on device use or tethering. Data bundles can then be bought from the SMS app in the dongle software. WE have many customers happily using dongles with Tesco Mobile. We dont sell dongles ourselves yet but you can buy SIM free online.

4. Yes, those are the call rates.

Remember to topup by €10 at least to get double credit and to get Free Tesco Mobile to Tesco Mobile calls, texts and pictures messages and free Webtexts

regards
    Paul

Cyril706 wrote: »
    hi, there, anyone find that tessco mobile's wap is not very stable. Or it is just me find my wap always drops

Hi there

You shouldn't have issues like this. Can you drop care a note with the details here and they will be able to help.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx

regards
    Paul

Do you have any explanation for my query earlier, Paul? Because clearly one csr's methodology was opposed to the other one's.

du Maurier wrote: »
    Hi there.

I have a small billing issue. I can furnish you with the exact details if you require them, but just to paraphrase the issue, I had expected my monthly bill to have been extracted from my account but hadn't been, even more than two weeks after the invoice was issued (I have since realised that this is 2 working weeks that it will be taken out...and so it was extracted today). That seems all in order there, but I was keen to find out why one of the CS reps needed more information as per below.

So when I called to inquire about it the representative told me the reason the money hadn't be taken out thusfar was that there was a problem with the system (which there eventually wasn't as the funds did come out today) and that she would need my laser card details to continue my payments as there was an issue with my a/c and sort code details on their system.

I don't really get this process to be honest. I asked could my account details be put in again and have the DD amended, to which she replied, unassuredly that it could not. This seems strange to me, and I've never had an issue with a DD when I had provided my details.

I'm not sure why the laser card was necessary either.
    Are laser cards not just for one-time transactions? Or can the details on them be utilised as a DD, which is what she was attempting to 'explain' to me?

I gave her my laser details anyway, as I don't really mind, but I'm just confused as to the method of this monthly payment.
    My monthly payments, with any other company, are always by way of me submitting my a/c number and sort code and a DD or standing order etc is set up (which is what I did upon joining TM). I don't really know where the laser card bit comes into it.

So when I noticed the monthly fee deducted today I realised that the initial DD was in operation (there was no system anomaly with my account) and the CS rep probably wasn't sure of the process.

When I called today, I was told that the 2 weeks after invoice is a 14 working day period. So that makes sense now. I asked to have my laser card details erased from the system as it appears they are now unnecessary for the transaction.

Can you maybe explain why the laser card transaction was necessary? And why the system can't be amended should one want to input/amend their bank a/c details on TM's system?

Sorry for the long inquiry. albeit only promising a paraphrasing...:pac:

Hi there

The first CSR was incorrect. I don't know what information she was working from but the process is that payment is taken 2 weeks from bill issue. Laser and credit cards can be used for once off payments as well as the monthly payment (which can be DD aswell)

Please send me your details by PM and I will follow up with you in private.

I will adress this with the team

regards
    Paul

With meteor you top up by 20 EUR and for the first 12 months you get:
    €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts for 30 days OR
    €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free any network texts for 30 days OR
    €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free any network evening and weekend calls for 30 days.

Versus

Tesco: €20 credit and €20 bonus credit and free Tesco to Tesco calls & texts.

The vast majority of people are better off with free any network texts or free any network evening and weekend calls than restrictive one operator to one operator calls/texts.

Hi Fungus

I am not debating your overall views here. I just want to correct for the record.

Tesco award matching credit on ALL topups of 10eur or more

vs

Meteor award one 20 matching topup per month for a limited 12 months.

This is where we offer our value instead of all network calls/texts.

It may not suit everyone but it does suit many people as we are the fastest growing network in Ireland (per Comreg subscriber stats).

regards
    Paul

Hi there

The first CSR was incorrect. I don't know what information she was working from but the process is that payment is taken 2 weeks from bill issue. Laser and credit cards can be used for once off payments as well as the monthly payment (which can be DD aswell)

Please send me your details by PM and I will follow up with you in private.

I will adress this with the team

regards
    Paul

Thanks for your reply. I'll send on those details now.

Hi Fungus

I am not debating your overall views here. I just want to correct for the record.

Tesco award matching credit on ALL topups of 10eur or more

vs

Meteor award one 20 matching topup per month for a limited 12 months.

This is where we offer our value instead of all network calls/texts.

It may not suit everyone but it does suit many people as we are the fastest growing network in Ireland (per Comreg subscriber stats).

regards
    Paul

Hey Paul,

Comparison was just illustrated on 20 EUR top ups for the first 12 months post porting. Even in month number 13, a 'medium to heavy' any network texter or caller is normally better off with Meteor/elsewhere due to any network nature of their top up bundles.

Don't get me wrong, bonus credit on 10 EUR top ups is great for light mobile users and something not fully replicated by any of your competitors. You certainly offer a value proposition for very light prepay mobile usage profiles.

Congrats on your Q4 2011 Comreg market share stats. The 2011 market share growth for both 3 and Tesco Mobile was phenomenal. I think you are playing your marketing cards very well.

Ciaran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi,

I moved over to Tesco Mobile last weekend and am slowly getting used to the small differences between them and O2. I have a few questions though on things I couldn't work out or find on this (long!) thread:

1) What UK networks do I have access to? I tried roaming on Orange yesterday but my phone reported 'No Access'. It was the only UK network available to me during the few brief minutes in question.

2) How do you call your voicemail when abroad and how can you tell if it has been activated?

3) I tried sending an MMS to a UK mobile number but was not able to. Can MMSes only be sent to Irish mobiles?

Btw - am very happy with the service so far, especially the pricing in comparison with O2!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement