Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fast advice needed!

Options
2»

Comments

No bags light on all the time if the bulb is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tazio wrote: »
    Hey confab... I think the reason the air bag light.didn't come on is because I bet the bags are not there... The pax air bag from the photos on the ad and bumpers look dodgy to me.. please don't flame.. its just my opinion... Or it could just be wear and tear and/or the picts...

You could be right. I didn't buy the car as there was a lot more dodgy stuff than just the airbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Best of luck with the 156.. do look for rust under the front pax and driver foot wells. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Had one of those 1.7 CVT Puma's myself for a little while,I have to admitt I was expecting more grunt !!! 125 odd bhp? It didn't feel like it. The one I had was same year and colour, but had different alloys. Are those not the standard 1.4 ones? Great machine to handle though that damn gearknob would freeze the hand off you on a cold morning !! Drums on the rear too? always felt it should have had disc's to handle the extra power. The brake pipes corrode badly on them, very popular NCT failure.

You only really get the power past 4k revs, feels like I'm driving a Honda at times. And yeah, they do look like the standard 1.4 puma wheels. Do they fit over the larger disks on the 1.7s?

You only really get the power past 4k revs, feels like I'm driving a Honda at times.

Exactly. You really need to gun it to bring the torque in. It's a lot of fun.

• Advertisement

Well, I went to see the 156. It's in very good nick, suspension is sorted, no variator rattle, good gear change, clutch is fine. Carpets are dry. Few tiny dings and scrapes, most noticeably the shutline of the driver's door. Inside the leather is new from a scrappie, everything works, new radio with USB, SD card and bluetooth. Guy seems genuine and is a Boardsie. Now, the price. Advertised at €1500, 69000 miles. The car has 14 months of NCT but the timing belt is due in 7000 miles at 76k. 6 months of tax left. Car has been in the family for 5 years.

Bargaining points:

Occupancy sensor has failed so the airbag light is on.

Leather wheel is in rags, needs to be replaced, about €50.

Gearstick gaiter needs to be replaced about, €20.

Driver's door needs to be touched up along the shutline - €75-€100?

Timing belt, pump & maybe tensioners due in 10 months/7000 miles.

There are no receipts for any of the work carried out, but I've driven a 156 with the suspension in bits and this car is sorted.

IMO it's worth more than €1200 but less than the asking. I've got 3 hours to respond. Opinions? I'm thinking €1300.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

T/b and variator will be an expensive job I think. Factor this into your offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Confab wrote: »
    Well, I went to see the 156. It's in very good nick, suspension is sorted, no variator rattle, good gear change, clutch is fine. Carpets are dry. Few tiny dings and scrapes, most noticeably the shutline of the driver's door. Inside the leather is new from a scrappie, everything works, new radio with USB, SD card and bluetooth. Guy seems genuine and is a Boardsie. Now, the price. Advertised at €1500, 69000 miles. The car has 14 months of NCT but the timing belt is due in 7000 miles at 76k. 6 months of tax left. Car has been in the family for 5 years.

Bargaining points:

There are no receipts for any of the work carried out, but I've driven a 156 with the suspension in bits and this car is sorted.

IMO it's worth more than €1200 but less than the asking. I've got 3 hours to respond. Opinions? I'm thinking €1300.

Offer what you think it's worth. Fcek offering more than that when opening. If anything I'd go slightly lower than what you think it's worth.

Leather bits can be re-trimmed cheaply enough. Dings get paintless dent removal done one. Scrapes - can be expensive but it is an old car and it might not be worth it.

Get urban to throw it up on the ramp maybe?

.................. Advertised at €1500, 69000 miles. The car has 14 months of NCT but the timing belt is due in 7000 miles at 76k. 6 months of tax left. Car has been in the family for 5 years....................

Aren't the belts every 3 years or 36k miles?

Going off miles it's due in 3000 miles, unless it's on it's 3rd belt now isn't it overdue now timewise?

I'm all for Russian Roulette with belts but not on an Alfa.

6 months of tax and 14 months NCT are decent factors though, the tax is a fair chunk of a belt job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Overkill it well may be, but it happened me in my previous Golf, I wouldn't take the risk.

FFS the car is worth a grand. Drive it until the belt falls off and reclaim your 200 euro for scrap. Why spend 300 euros on a belt on a car worth a grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Bargaining points:

Many of the bargaining points you have mentioned are cosmetic and these can be done over time. The timing belt is the big job and when it was done on our 156 it cost roughly speaking the guts of €500... Its a big expensive job but it wont need to be done until the next 36k miles so unless you're doing big miles it won't have to be done for a while.

Sounds like a nice motor though, I'd go in hard with maybe €1200 using the timing belt as the bargaining chip and try settle at €1300.

Good luck!

jsd1004 wrote: »
    FFS the car is worth a grand. Drive it until the belt falls off and reclaim your 200 euro for scrap. Why spend 300 euros on a belt on a car worth a grand.

Yes, and the replacement car would be another grand. Why pay that when you can get a timing belt done and get a few years of motoring out of the original car? Your logic is flawed.

On cars with belts specced for 6/7 years it's potentially worth risking especially if the engine isn't known as a belt snapper, there's still a decent chance it might snap or get contaminated or of the pump failing but on certain cars it's a fair enough risk, wouldn't chance it on an Alfa.

On a Puma with rusty arches and other issues I would if I bought it for less than a grand.

Just as a money where your mouth is point, the ZT I have is belt specced for 6 years/90k miles, on original belts still and I don't intend getting them changed. I've knocked 15 months out of it and if they don't fail between now and summer 2012 I'll be happy out. I don't expect them to either but of course I may be found to be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'll be viewing in in a carpark near me.

Never buy a car in a car park, if its leaking oil you won't find out till later. If you view the car outside the owners house always check the driveway for signs of oil leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,867 ✭✭✭✭unkel

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm all for Russian Roulette with belts but not on an Alfa.

I was gonna post the very same thing :D

But jaysis, a €500 job on a €1k car? Dunno if I would do it. Anyone any real idea what the chances are of the belt snapping within say 2 years and 15k miles?

10%? 50%? 90%?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

unkel wrote: »

But jaysis, a €500 job on a €1k car? Dunno if I would do it. Anyone any real idea what the chances are of the belt snapping within say 2 years and 15k miles?

10%? 50%? 90%?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

unkel wrote: »

10%? 50%? 90%?

Whatever the bathtub curve suggests in general I wouldn't apply to an Alfa, initially Alfa had a longer interval on them but pulled it back due to failures.

Whatever the bathtub curve suggests in general I wouldn't apply to an Alfa, initially Alfa had a longer interval on them but pulled it back due to failures.

Thanks for the points lads, the timing belt was changed at 40k so it'll be due for a change at 76k and it's at 69k now. Think I'll go for it and look to buy for €1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Its 100k or every ten years from Ford themselves. They designed the Zetec engine, they should know its tolerances.

I was under the impression ZETEC was for the most part Yamaha's design. I think Mazda were involved too.
    I think I'd pass on this car doesn't appear to have been well maintained.

Thanks for the points lads, the timing belt was changed at 40k so it'll be due for a change at 76k and it's at 69k now. Think I'll go for it and look to buy for €1300.

don't forget the 3 year bit ;) best of luck with the deal.

• Advertisement

don't forget the 3 year bit ;) best of luck with the deal.

Shit, I forgot about that! Oh well, one more bargaining tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friend of mine is breaking a black 156 estate if you needed any bits for it. Fairly sure he has a really nice wooden steering wheel.

A friend of mine is breaking a black 156 estate if you needed any bits for it. Fairly sure he has a really nice wooden steering wheel.

That's the Momo Mahogany wheel, I'd like that! Should come with a mahogany gear knob too. Is it up on Donedeal?

That's the Momo Mahogany wheel, I'd like that! Should come with a mahogany gear knob too. Is it up on Donedeal?

No, fraid not. I'll text him now.

No, fraid not. I'll text him now.

Do you ever miss an opportunity:p

EPM wrote: »
    Do you ever miss an opportunity:p

Am... Well... No, no I don't.

Advertisement