Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fast advice needed!

Options
  • 24-11-2011 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to view a '00 Puma 1.7 this afternoon. €1250, silver, good spec, but doesn't have a timing belt history. It has 110,000 miles on the clock but the owner (a nice lady, at least on the phone) can't tell me much about it. I'll be viewing in in a carpark near me. The timing belt interval on the 1.7 is 60k.

Am I an idiot to even consider looking at it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Confab wrote: »
    I'm going to view a '00 Puma 1.7 this afternoon. €1250, silver, good spec, but doesn't have a timing belt history. It has 110,000 miles on the clock but the owner (a nice lady, at least on the phone) can't tell me much about it. I'll be viewing in in a carpark near me. The timing belt interval on the 1.7 is 60k.

budget for the timing belt change straight away! get a discount becasue of the lack of history.

or check the engine covers, the mechanic might of signed it with tip ex :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Nice lady owner that can't say much about her car with no timing belt history?
    I'd be surprised if the it's gotten a proper service in 20,000km
    There's got to be other Puma's put there.

If you've arranged to have a look go on and see it but make sure to scrutinise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Viewing in a car park rings alarm bells tbh. I'd ask her for the registration cert and driving licence or passport to verify her identity before parting with any money.

If you do decide to buy it, pay by cheque or bank transfer. If she balks at this, walk away.

Regarding the timing belt, it'd be a bit of a worry: I'd have it done immediately. Even leaving the distance interval aside, based on age the belt is nearly due a second time anyway. Drive the car no more than strictly necessary until the belt is done - if you can tow it to the mechanic so much the better.

No, if it's straight and checks out I don't see the problem to be honest. It's not a Bentley, it's an 11 year old car for small money, have a look, if it's fine it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Thats complete overkill in my opinion you could drive the car for 10 years without the belt going on it.

Overkill it well may be, but it happened me in my previous Golf, I wouldn't take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2711096

View2-8686508.jpeg

Anyone have any overriding impressions?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Best of luck with car hunt.. check for air-bag light sequence on start up.

Looks tasty, if it's in order a small few quid off the asking and get the belt done etc and it would be a great bus for small money. It's quite likely the bet has been done anyway, if Ann has owned it for 10 years and gotten it serviced every year or so I'd be reckoning she would have been advised to have it done.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Looks tasty, if it's in order a small few quid off the asking and get the belt done etc and it would be a great bus for small money. It's quite likely the bet has been done anyway, if Ann has owned it for 10 years and gotten it serviced every year or so I'd be reckoning she would have been advised to have it done.

I doubt she's owned if from new if she hasn't a clue about the service history, but I agree that the belt was probably changed.

I dunno where I got the idea she owned it so long from tbh :o
    Poor RJ :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

if you google the number, you'll find her CV, home address and work history :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

No secrets on the interweb huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Get a price from your usual mechanic and use this when bargaining. I'd change it for peace of mind. Nice looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2711096

View2-8686508.jpeg

Anyone have any overriding impressions?

Are you in my area Confab - coolock, artane?...I can give you the number or an honest mechanic that will do the belt for a decent price..done my MR2 and coolant flush and a few other bits for 200 labour (ex parts) and the 2 is a big job!

Are you in my area Confab - coolock, artane?...I can give you the number or an honest mechanic that will do the belt for a decent price..done my MR2 and coolant flush and a few other bits for 200 labour (ex parts) and the 2 is a big job!

Yeah I live in Baldoyle, near enough. I went to see the car a few hours ago. Looked well but not in great shape.

- Oil all over the front underside of the car.
    - Black 'gunge' on the engine parts under the oil cap
    - Airbag light didn't come on
    - 'Open door' warning light didn't go off
    - Electric mirrors didn't work
    - Driver's window made a rattling noise on the way back up
    - Rust on the rear arches
    - Paint flaking on the front bumper
    - Rust on the front chassis member by the suspension strut
    - Rattling noise on the far passenger side when driving
    - Fanbelt noise was constant
    - No idea when the tbelt was done
    - No service done by the current owner who'd had the car for a year

Otherwise a very fun and quite fast car to drive, comfortable and much better than a Corsa. The owner didn't seem very surprised when I told her I didn't want to buy it.

That;s my first time looking at a car with a view to buying and I forced myself be very critical. If it'd just been the timing belt I might've bought it, but I rang Atlas about the cost of of a 1.7 tbelt & pump and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sounds like your general, "carefull woman owner" alright. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

- Rust on the rear arches

Also normal on pretty much every puma I saw.

- Fanbelt noise was constant

Seemed to be the norm on all the ones I looked at.

Supposed to be 100k miles or ten years from a ford Engineer on Project Puma.

- No service done by the current owner who'd had the car for a year

Worrying, those 1.7 engines need to be looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=6447

'Puma has the Zetec S engine for which HJ recommends cam belt renewal at 80k miles'

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054901570

Supposed to be 100k miles or ten years from a ford Engineer on Project Puma.

It's 60k miles for the 1.7

Was the airbag bulb removed?

• Advertisement

Was the airbag bulb removed?

Hard to tell tbh. Wasn't going to take the risk considering how many other things needed to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's 60k miles for the 1.7

Its 100k or every ten years from Ford themselves. They designed the Zetec engine, they should know its tolerances.

Its 100k or every ten years from Ford themselves. They designed the Zetec engine, they should know its tolerances.

That's for the 1.4 and 1.6, the 1.7 is an exception at 80k (corrected from my above post). Anyway it's irrevelant, the belt was probably overdue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Loads of Pumas on sale, so you can be choosy.

1.7 is the best engine. A/c is desirable. The important thing is they are great fun to drive, are very reasonable for parts, and a good one will serve you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bandit14

CianRyan wrote: »
    Nice lady owner that can't say much about her car with no timing belt history?
    I'd be surprised if the it's gotten a proper service in 20,000km
    There's got to be other Puma's put there.

If you've arranged to have a look go on and see it but make sure to scrutinise.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sounds like your general, "carefull woman owner" alright. :rolleyes:

Yeah, careful not to spend money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Had one of those 1.7 CVT Puma's myself for a little while,I have to admitt I was expecting more grunt !!! 125 odd bhp? It didn't feel like it. The one I had was same year and colour, but had different alloys. Are those not the standard 1.4 ones? Great machine to handle though that damn gearknob would freeze the hand off you on a cold morning !! Drums on the rear too? always felt it should have had disc's to handle the extra power. The brake pipes corrode badly on them, very popular NCT failure.

Whats the insurance like on the Puma Confab? Same as the 146?

Whats the insurance like on the Puma Confab? Same as the 146?

About an extra €20pm more than the 156. I'm going to see the 156 tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Hey confab... I think the reason the air bag light.didn't come on is because I bet the bags are not there... The pax air bag from the photos on the ad and bumpers look dodgy to me.. please don't flame.. its just my opinion... Or it could just be wear and tear and/or the picts...

Disclaimer: I have not seen this car in the flesh therefore I could be totally wrong.

Advertisement