Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV registration county allocation ranges

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Registered mine just before Christmas and was given 91-D-120001, looks a bit odd but at least it's easy to remember. Did they start with 120000 or 120001?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

quenching wrote: »
    Registered mine just before Christmas and was given 91-D-120001, looks a bit odd but at least it's easy to remember. Did they start with 120000 or 120001?

91D120,001, your no 1....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Cork County plates now start with 40001

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Does anyone know the reason behind these changes?
    As the classic/vintage car enthusiasts are the only ones affected by these changes you would think somebody within the hobby might know.
    I checked on the IVVCC website and there is no mention of anything,they were instrumental in bringing in the ZV regs in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Is Leo Varadkar the minister responsible for this? Would there be any point in bombarding him with emails, letters, etc. in the hope of getting this changed? They're looking for money wherever they can get it, yet they are ignoring a good revenue stream here. Look at the amount of money raked in by the DVLC in the UK for old reg numbers, not to mention the amount of reg number dealers. You used to be able to book a number here for a brand new car for €250, and I imagine there were quite a few takers. So the nitwits put it up to €1000 and now I imagine there is very little uptake. I for one would pay a reasonable amount (€2-300) for an age-related plate if it was possible to get one, and I will have three cars to register. But unfortunately it's the civil service - they don't know the meaning of the word enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hi5 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the reason behind these changes?
    As the classic/vintage car enthusiasts are the only ones affected by these changes you would think somebody within the hobby might know.
    I checked on the IVVCC website and there is no mention of anything,they were instrumental in bringing in the ZV regs in the first place.

this new system is for ALL imports. Its to make them instantly recognisable as such

corktina wrote: »
    this new system is for ALL imports. Its to make them instantly recognisable as such

Exactly, and they made a mess of it. It would be alright if there was a decent age related plate series available.

The point is this,we had something and its been taken away from us.
    We have lost something

The zv xxx or zv xxxx was introduced because they suited vintage cars as they were part of the original format used in Ireland and they also fitted nicely on a standard size plate.
    Its nothing got to do with the "zv", it could be any two letters followed by three or four digits.
    Or it could be three letters and three numbers.

I just dont think that the powers that be "get it"
    Adding 5 numbers and now up to 7 is missing the point completely.

Its not about the "zv" its about the format.
    Has anybody informed them,is the IVVCC still the representitive body for vintage and classic cars in Ireland.

We cant let things slip or we'll lose alot more:(

Do the IVVCC know/care?
    Is any poster on here a member?

Can we make a stand about this, or will anyone listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Could anybody tell when 58 D 25 would have been registered?roughly!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Late eighties, roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

68deville wrote: »
    Could anybody tell when 58 D 25 would have been registered?roughly!!

Yes, its a post 1993 'jumped' registration

I would have thought there was more than 25 vehicles of 58' vintage registered in dublin between 1987 and 1993.
    If you look at the records all the first 25 are allocated meaning they had gone past 25 before the VRO decided to make the jump.
    This would make '58 d 25' 1993 or before,unless of course nobody else registered a vehicle of 58 vintage betweem 1993 and 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

And the winning answer is:
    58D25 BUICK LE SABRE LHD 2DR A

• Colour: BLUE
    • Body Type: SALOON
    • Date of First Registration: November 1997
    • Engine Capacity: 7000 cc
    • Year of Manufacture: 1958

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Is there any way of finding out how many ZV plates have been issued, in total, for the whole country since they were introduced? And probably harder to find out, but how many pre-87 county registrations have been issued also (i.e. 75 D XXX or 49 L XXX etc. etc.)??

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I think I am a member because of my insurance, well I get a nice little booklet every so often thats full of nice looking tractors.

That sounds more like the IVS

http://www.irishvintage.net/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Is there any way of finding out how many ZV plates have been issued, in total, for the whole country since they were introduced?

My back of the fag packet calculations come to just over 17,000.
    And probably harder to find out, but how many pre-87 county registrations have been issued also (i.e. 75 D XXX or 49 L XXX etc. etc.)??

Can't answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

hi5 wrote: »
    The point is this,we had something and its been taken away from us.
    We have lost something

The zv xxx or zv xxxx was introduced because they suited vintage cars as they were part of the original format used in Ireland and they also fitted nicely on a standard size plate.
    Its nothing got to do with the "zv", it could be any two letters followed by three or four digits.
    Or it could be three letters and three numbers.

I just dont think that the powers that be "get it"
    Adding 5 numbers and now up to 7 is missing the point completely.

Its not about the "zv" its about the format.
    Has anybody informed them,is the IVVCC still the representitive body for vintage and classic cars in Ireland.

We cant let things slip or we'll lose alot more:(

Well put hi5!

I have suggested here before a way that the 'ZV' system could be extended to make it more appropriate and 'age-related' to the old pre-1986 system.
    My suggested system is as follows -

'1 ZV' to '999 ZV' (for pre-1920 vehicles)
    '1000 ZV' to '9999 ZV' (for 1921 to 1960 vehicles)
    'ZVA 1' to 'ZVA 999'
    'ZVB 1' to 'ZVB 999'
    'ZVC 1' to 'ZVC 999' etc etc etc (1961 to 1987 vehicles)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you haven't already, please complete the current AA poll and add a note about this nonsense to the end. Here's my comment.
    I have lots of things I'd like to ask, but the thing that annoys me most at the moment is the absolutely ridiculous new number plate system for imported cars, particularly how it affects classics. Please find out who came up with the idea, find out how much they were bribed by SIMI to suggest/implement it, and publish this information. Then rent some stocks and stick them in them, so people like me that would like to import a car in times to come can pelt them with rotten fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ian Gomersall

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone knew the legals regarding changing a ZV plate into a NI number? Can it be done? I did change me Donegal car reg into a NI reg easily enough and only cost 30 euro (ish). It's just that I have seen a nice ZV classic and I want to bring it back the NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It would be the exact same process/price as it was when you changed the 'DL' plate I would imagine. It doesnt matter that it a ZV plate, it's still a 'Republic of Ireland registration number' as far as the authorities in N.I would be concerned.

Advertisement