Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV registration county allocation ranges

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

9890 or thereabouts, don't think it has jumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Carchaeologist wrote: ''You can still use an unissued registration from a given year in a following year provided you want to pay for it and its not issued.''

What exactly do you mean by this? Does that mean I can get a '68 reg.(CZO or whatever) for my '68 import that's still on UK plates??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Carchaeologist wrote: ''You can still use an unissued registration from a given year in a following year provided you want to pay for it and its not issued.''

What exactly do you mean by this? Does that mean I can get a '68 reg.(CZO or whatever) for my '68 import that's still on UK plates??

No, unless you do it illegally( but that doesn't happen at all:rolleyes:)
    I'm talking about the newer issues in the last couple of years, the first 200 are withheld to be sold for €1000 apiece. You can still buy say 10D156 in 2011, or at least that was the way, providing the new system for imports that was unveiled last week hasn't changed that.

The ****ers keep moving the goalposts, this time into the next field!

macplaxton wrote: »
    9890 or thereabouts, don't think it has jumped.

Can I change my answer?

It has jumped. Last Dublin 4-digit issue was 9889, next issue in "order" after that was 10001.

So my new answer is: at least 10005.

(ZV10001 - that Vauxhall Royale, along with ZV10002 and ZV10004 have deffo been issued)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wow its getting very confusing, and the new reg's will make it worse.

I was also told that some of the ZV's were not issued to avoid confusion particularly ZV 1XXX etc as the "1" could be confused with an "I". Different Authorities could make the decision based on what they got !

Seems a bit odd however I do recall a particular story where a certain C124 Mercedes was issued with the reg 91 OY 1 but someone took offense as they currently owned a car with the reg 91 OYI. I dunno how true it is but I have seen the C124 on that reg.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Macplaxton. I thought as much that the Royale was 10001 alright.
    Re 90OY1, I have 90KY1 and it could easily pass for 90KYI if you looked quickly. :D

Confirmed: Changes came into effect 5th December 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Thanks for that Macplaxton. I thought as much that the Royale was 10001 alright.
    Re 90OY1, I have 90KY1 and it could easily pass for 90KYI if you looked quickly. :D

Like this non-Waterford reg

Borgward.jpg

Was there an S.I issued to cover the new changes?
    Anyone know the number if so?

Had a quick look, can't see one, but then I can't see the need for one. I can only see S.I.'s for changes in index marks, not serial numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Can someone please explain this in simple terms, I am epically confused?

YBTurbo wrote: »
    Can someone please explain this in simple terms, I am epically confused?
    Explain what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Explain what exactly?

What changes they are making to the current system.

If I say want to register a 76 car in Limerick, I either get 76-LK-???? or ZV ????, But are the plates now going to be from a certain number and then given out from there, From my understanding the ZV will be going to 6 digits.

Also what if I want to register a 99 car, Will I get a silly number like 99-LK-46743, where people will automatically know its an import, or is it just the next number available on the system, like for ecample 99-LK-6432?

Sorry, I just don't understand. :)

YBTurbo wrote: »
    What changes they are making to the current system.

If I say want to register a 76 car in Limerick, I either get 76-LK-???? or ZV ????, But are the plates now going to be from a certain number and then given out from there, From my understanding the ZV will be going to 6 digits.

Also what if I want to register a 99 car, Will I get a silly number like 99-LK-46743, where people will automatically know its an import, or is it just the next number available on the system, like for ecample 99-LK-6432?

Sorry, I just don't understand. :)

Right, its a bit convoluted but here goes- When you go to register an import car you will now get a registration from a special import series specific to your county. It depends on the highest issue in each county how high the import reg will be. For example Dublin will be xxD120001 and upwards for all years. Kerry will be xxKY10001 and upwards. You are right, all imports will now stick out like beacons in the night! I think that was the general idea though.

The thing to remember here is that even a 1955 car imported to Dublin that won't have a ZV issued will get 55D120001, which is a really messy registration to try and make fit a normal size plate and still look authentic. It can't be done.
    The 5 digit ZV plates are the lesser of the two evils now. Sadly.

If your import is over 30 years old you can still choose a ZV registration, these are all now ZV+5 digits(no more 4s now). There has been a slight jump in each county's ZV issues to accommodate and differinciate the new registrations post 5/12/11.
    This is to all intents and purposes a third series of ZVs as the first two( original 1993 4 digit series and the newer mid '00s 5 digit series) are now effectively closed due to the new jump in numbers.
    There is a few other changes but nothing really applicable to the vintage/classic scene.
    Hope this helps.

For LK, ZV estimated to start at 53301 and for a new county format I think above 11001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a fourth series is badly wanted already....

why o why cant they get their act together and charge €1000 for whatever you want on a plate! (ie BMW 318 etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭gipi

carchaeologist,

Thanks for the simple explanation of the new registration rules. These rules apply regardless of vehicle, I presume? If one imports a motorbike (non-ZV), it'll get the xxD120001 series (or whatever, depending on county)?

That's a heck of a lot of numbers to put on a bike plate!

Yes, it would seem so. If its an import, it's getting an import series registration. In Dublin that's xxD120001 and upwards.
    I have a feeling this is also partially a knee jerk reaction to the fact that there was beginning to be century overlap on the original series. Now there can't be a crossover apart from what's registered already, which is relitivly few.

The lord Mayor in Dublin won't get his usual xxD1 reg every consecutive year in the future though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The reason that the Lord Mayor will start to miss reg’s like 12-D-1 is that they were given away in the late 80’s or early 90’s to 1912 cars being imported - more forward thinking from the authorities who, in the future will be wondering why they don’t get any decent eyewitness reports on car reg’s leaving the scene of an accident, etc - who will be able to read and memorise rubbish like 08-D-125438 in a fraction of a second? :mad:

Maybe I should buy a quick import (especially a bike :)) and register it in Dublin - then I can drive like an ar5e and, if I keep it lit properly, no one will be able to report me :pac:

corktina wrote: »
    why o why cant they get their act together and charge €1000 for whatever you want on a plate! (ie BMW 318 etc)

Because they're a bunch of muppets? :rolleyes:

Besides a grand for whatever you want could be faaaaarr to cheap. That's why the DVLA over the water auctions off all the money magnet stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The lord Mayor in Dublin won't get his usual xxD1 reg every consecutive year in the future though!:D

Incidentally the Lord Mayors car this year is 11 D 11. Its a black C-Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

The thing to remember here is that even a 1955 car imported to Dublin that won't have a ZV issued will get 55D120001, which is a really messy registration to try and make fit a normal size plate and still look authentic. It can't be done.

If your import is over 30 years old you can still choose a ZV registration, these are all now ZV+5 digits(no more 4s now). There has been a slight jump in each county's ZV issues to accommodate and differinciate the new registrations post 5/12/11
    There is a few other changes but nothing really applicable to the vintage/classic scene.
    Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Also worth remembering when deciding to choose a zv plate or a county plate that you can change from a county plate to a zv plate but not the other way around.

bijapos wrote: »
    Incidentally the Lord Mayors car this year is 11 D 11. Its a black C-Class.

What did he get this year? Surely 12D1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

What did he get this year? Surely 12D1?

Dunno but its a Volvo S80 either way.

I was thinking he didn't use 11 D 1 as that number has probably been given over to a vintage car. I doubt that they would allow 2 cars with the same number to be driven around no matter how different they look.

You could always email the guy mentioned in this article, maybe he might know some more?

http://www.northsidepeople.ie/article.php?id=630&l=103
    Executive Manager in the Office of the Lord Mayor, Vincent Norton, explained the reason behind the decision.
    “In his official capacity the Lord Mayor of Dublin represents the capital at many events and it is important that an appropriate vehicle is available to transport him around the city of Dublin and country,” he said.
    “It is also important that the impact of the vehicle is minimised in both financial and environmental terms. The council is delighted that Volvo are prepared to offer such a luxury, energy efficient car to the Lord Mayor at no cost to the city.

As far as I can make out 11D1 has never been issued, in any century?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm, I have 80-CW-XXX I wonder should I keep the three digits, or move to a ZV

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

antodeco wrote: »
    Might depend on how long you intend to keep it. If you keep the existing plates the next owner can decide for himself to switch or stick.

Can you find out what the next ZV number is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

antodeco wrote: »

Keep the '80' plate...better than a ZV ***** plate!

Silvera wrote: »
    Keep the '80' plate...better than a ZV ***** plate!

Agreed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I might wait until the numbers get higher. It's a mini 1275GT, so ZV 1275 6(T) might be handy!

Advertisement