Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012 Predictions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

As someone who did HL English last year I'm going to predict a very tough paper this year. Ours was very easy last year :D

thanks for that :(
    but i was attending and got a look at the paper then too, and i was thinking the same! lucky us -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Fúck, the free radical one is the only one I know!

To be fair, my teacher's only basing it on the fact that that one came up last year - it could still be either

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shaw_na

Does anyone have any more predictions for Geog.? Such a long course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

to be honest because last years english paper looked "easy" does not mean it was in anyway in fact it was most likely marked harder, if you are well enough prepared you will think any paper is easy. the hamlet questions were the same as shakespeare questions are every year, and if anything the comparative questions were fairly hard too, people even gave out about the theme of paper 1 at the time. just because the poets most people learned came up does not mean it was easy and that you are going to get a harder paper

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

xclw wrote: »
    to be honest because last years english paper looked "easy" does not mean it was in anyway in fact it was most likely marked harder, if you are well enough prepared you will think any paper is easy. the hamlet questions were the same as shakespeare questions are every year, and if anything the comparative questions were fairly hard too, people even gave out about the theme of paper 1 at the time. just because the poets most people learned came up does not mean it was easy and that you are going to get a harder paper

Paper 2 is not all about poetry. The Hamlet question was very simple as was the Theme question in the comparitive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

meh well I dont know about you guys but I didnt think the paper 1 titles were all that good in 2011. they seem to be getting worse each year though so i wouldnt even hope for some good titles in 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

xclw wrote: »
    just gonna say i'm repeating this year and i did accounting and DO NOT think it has to be Company Accounts this year, i made that mistake last year, theres 4 possible questions : Company, Manufacturing, Sole Trader and Departmental Study them all cos trust me you don't wanna be in the situation i was in last June!

Departmental? I've never heard of it or covered it is this new or something?
    Thanks for tip. I have a lot of trouble but I can do Company and sole trader like a boss so I think I'm gonna take a hit with that

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

I think departmental is only for Ordinary Level our teacher never did anything like that with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

angela1711 wrote: »
    I think departmental is only for Ordinary Level our teacher never did anything like that with us

Departmental has never come up but afaik its still part of the HL syllabus and is a potential question 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Ohhh for french, my teacher said at the start of the year for comprehensions. Its every second year on difficulty levels, think we have the tough one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Even if any paper is slightly harder, the examiners must still stickto the dreaded "bellcurve" which you may have heard of. (Basically the same %'s of people pass/get A's/Fail every year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Ohhh for french, my teacher said at the start of the year for comprehensions. Its every second year on difficulty levels, think we have the tough one :(
    What kind of a weird system is that? Hate when they have really obscure literary comprehensions about herding goats and such >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Well, if there is any subject which is about Bellcurves.. Its Biology.... They go mental with "frontloading" or "Backloading" questions... which might be good/bad depending on situations......

French might be bad this year... but lets hope for a formal letter anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

BTW, Anyone else notice in the irish exam papers (HL) that "Colscaradh" never was asked in any of the sample paperS!!! :O Maybe they are subliminally telling us which will come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stressedleaver

Irish is gonna be all sport, with olympics, euro championships, rugby orldcup etc all this year! pure banker id say

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

My Chemistry teacher is fairly certain there won't be a thiosulfate titration this year. Also, anyone that is counting on them not asking the ethanal or ethanoic acid preps because we can't do them anymore - they can't ask the preparation on Section A, but they can still ask you about the testing-the-properties stuff in Section A and they can put the whole experiment in Section B if they want since we still have to know the theory behind it even without actually doing it, & my teacher thinks they're going to ask it somewhere to catch people out who didn't learn it.

Oh, and it's practically guaranteed you'll be asked to state Le Chatelier's principle - it's come up something like 11 of the past 12 years or something. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

I did the LC last year and if I was to give one piece of advice about it, it would be to steer well clear of predictions. I tried to be too clever and ended up getting caught in 2 or 3 subjects, especially Accounting. I was hoping for an A1 and ended up with a D1.

Same with English. I hadn't prepared well for any of the poets that came up and it was a miracle that I still got an A1.

Thankfully, everything worked out in the end, I got 490 points and the course I wanted but seriously I can hardly remember a worse feeling than sitting down to do an exam and realising I had been caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My Chemistry teacher is fairly certain there won't be a thiosulfate titration this year. Also, anyone that is counting on them not asking the ethanal or ethanoic acid preps because we can't do them anymore - they can't ask the preparation on Section A, but they can still ask you about the testing-the-properties stuff in Section A and they can put the whole experiment in Section B if they want since we still have to know the theory behind it even without actually doing it, & my teacher thinks they're going to ask it somewhere to catch people out who didn't learn it.

Oh, and it's practically guaranteed you'll be asked to state Le Chatelier's principle - it's come up something like 11 of the past 12 years or something. :rolleyes:

We did them?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

We did them?

They're getting dichromate taken out of school labs, so nobody's supposed to do them anymore, but it was really really recent so most people already had them done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

They're getting dichromate taken out of school labs, so nobody's supposed to do them anymore, but it was really really recent so most people already had them done.
    My teacher did them last week knowing that we were not allowed to do them. :)

• Advertisement

Paper 2 is not all about poetry. The Hamlet question was very simple as was the Theme question in the comparitive.

but then again you could say any hamlet question isn't difficult, it depends on the person, like sure a question on claudius is easy for you if you've studied him but if you haven't then it's not. and as for theme/issue it might have been the easier optin but my teacher only did cultural context and vision and viewpoint with us because we didn't have time and i'm sure many others didn't have theme/issue prepared so it wasn't easy then either.
    Anyway usually students find that if they've put the work in any paper they do will be easy, and harder papers are generally marked a little easier

but then again you could say any hamlet question isn't difficult, it depends on the person, like sure a question on claudius is easy for you if you've studied him but if you haven't then it's not. and as for theme/issue it might have been the easier option but my teacher only did cultural context and vision and viewpoint with us because we didn't have time and i'm sure many others didn't have theme/issue prepared so it wasn't easy then either.
    Anyway usually students find that if they've put the work in any paper they do will be easy, and harder papers are generally marked a little easier

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

bm1993 wrote: »
    I did the LC last year and if I was to give one piece of advice about it, it would be to steer well clear of predictions. I tried to be too clever and ended up getting caught in 2 or 3 subjects, especially Accounting. I was hoping for an A1 and ended up with a D1.

Same with English. I hadn't prepared well for any of the poets that came up and it was a miracle that I still got an A1.

Thankfully, everything worked out in the end, I got 490 points and the course I wanted but seriously I can hardly remember a worse feeling than sitting down to do an exam and realising I had been caught out.

This.

I did my LC in 2011 too and was caught in many subjects because of predictions. I was hoping for an A1 in accounting too but ended up with a C1. I know many people are not entirely depending on predictions but only using them for revision or something, but those who are, DON'T.

For chemistry, they mixed 2 practicals in one question in section A last year if I remember correctly and those who didn't know one of them were caught out. Many people didn't do a particular section of water for chemistry as it was up in 2010 and wasn't predicted but it did show up and many people lost out on easy marks. Same with biology- human reproduction wasn't on the paper and many people were banking on it and even the practicals, I think they had questions on more than one practical in a single question.

This all shows that they really want us to know everything well and anyone who is depending too much on predictions will be caught out, like I was in 2-3 subjects and now I'm back repeating. It isn't fun at all. And as bm1993, sitting down to do an exam and realising you have been caught out is about the worst feeling ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pio94

Only 5 months away now..... Anybody have/ or have been told what might appear on this years leaving cert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pio94

English..

Poetry....... Kinsella,Heaney,plath and Larkin .

Any history ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Downing

pio94 wrote: »
    English..

Poetry....... Kinsella,Heaney,plath and Larkin .

Any history ?

Ya I agree and possibly Kavanagh!!At least I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

my teacher is guessing it will be Gandhi for the document in history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 glen20

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Accounting
    Q1 Company
    Q2 Revaluation
    Q3 Suspense
    Q4 Service
    Q5 Ratios
    Q6 Cash Flow
    Q7 Incomplete (Forward)
    Q8 Job Costing and Flexible mixed
    Q9 Cash Budgeting (pro-forma) or the 09 method

Saying that:p LEARN THE WHOLE COURSE:)
    for interpretation any ideas, what part (b) it might be, shareholders, debentures or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

French - Misuse of drugs in sport (olympics) and global warming. Oh and my friend is convinced we're going to get a diary entry on what we'd do if the world actually ended in 2012 :P

Irish - Institute are saying coras oideachas , bas ar na boithre and drink/drugs are favorites.

English - V&V and Lit Gen. I think. Poets will be Heaney, Rich, Larkin and Plath.

Physics - Capacitance and/or resistivity for electricity. Doppler Effect. Planetary motion. Photoelectric effect with Einstein explanation. Boyles law has to come up in experiments!

Right there ye go that's the best I've got so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

glen20 wrote: »
    for interpretation any ideas, what part (b) it might be, shareholders, debentures or other?

i think debenture holders tbh:)

Advertisement