Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD track to close!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There must be a nice flat lawn out the front of someones office that could be safely used for doing some shot put, of course without going near their windows. A few carefully placed shot divets in their ornamental lawn would be appreciated I'm sure. :D

Just make sure you give them ample notice of your plans to appropriate the lawn as the new shot circle, I'd say about 30seconds warning of the change should be plenty?

Borrow the digger that they used on the track and you could pretty quickly make a new sand pit for long jump as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

robinph wrote: »
    There must be a nice flat lawn out the front of someones office that could be safely used for doing some shot put, of course without going near their windows. A few carefully placed shot divets in their ornamental lawn would be appreciated I'm sure. :D

Just make sure you give them ample notice of your plans to appropriate the lawn as the new shot circle, I'd say about 30seconds warning of the change should be plenty?

Borrow the digger that they used on the track and you could pretty quickly make a new sand pit for long jump as well.

Or a shot put through the windscreen of whoever's idea this was. I wonder would that get their attention :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Or a shot put through the windscreen of whoever's idea this was. I wonder would that get their attention :D

I was thinking more along the lines of a javelin through his/her you know what!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

What is the situation with regard to using Irishtown? I'm in Crusaders but their training times don't suit me. Can you just show up and use the track?

I know it's a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone knows of an outdoor area closer to the D6 / D6W area where you could throw shot and discus without wrecking a pitch or a lawn, being a danger to kids and passersby, or getting chased away by security guards. Bushy Park and the rugby clubs are out for the above reasons.

Or even a gym that would let you put up a few nets and throw indoor / rubber implements into them? Clutching at straws here I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Bruce7 wrote: »
    What is the situation with regard to using Irishtown?
    You can either pay as you go, for a fiver each time, or you can pay in 3-monthly, 6-monthly or yearly lumps and AFAIK, you can use the facilities any time it's open

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Bruce7 wrote: »
    What is the situation with regard to using Irishtown? I'm in Crusaders but their training times don't suit me. Can you just show up and use the track?

I know it's a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone knows of an outdoor area closer to the D6 / D6W area where you could throw shot and discus without wrecking a pitch or a lawn, being a danger to kids and passersby, or getting chased away by security guards. Bushy Park and the rugby clubs are out for the above reasons.

Or even a gym that would let you put up a few nets and throw indoor / rubber implements into them? Clutching at straws here I know...

Sorry, you've wandered into the running forum, what is a thrower :pac:

As a Cru member the use of the track is free. However don't expect the shed with the implements to always be open. There's a padlock on the Crusaders cupboard. If you've got your own implements that's no bother.

Shot in Ringsend Park (or elsewhere) ought not to be a big deal, but discuses flying around might cause consternation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Sorry, you've wandered into the running forum, what is a thrower :pac:

Ha! Pretty few busy throws forums out there. Even the ring is pretty quiet.
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    As a Cru member the use of the track is free. However don't expect the shed with the implements to always be open. There's a padlock on the Crusaders cupboard. If you've got your own implements that's no bother.

Shot in Ringsend Park (or elsewhere) ought not to be a big deal, but discuses flying around might cause consternation...

Is use of the track free whenever it's open? Happy days. I thought it was only during training times. I have my own implements.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,499 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Enough typing. Where/when is the protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Sent this letter to Brian Mullins a few seconds ago:

"
    "Dear Mr Mullins,
    I have recently learned of the closure of the UCD athletics track and I am dismayed by the decision. I feel that the health and safety concerns stated in the press release do not measure up to legitimate concerns to warrant the full closure of the track and I feel that you should be coginiscent of the impact that this will have on athletics in South Dublin.

I have been using the UCD track at least twice a week over the last 12 months. At no stage or at no part of the track have I felt that the surface was dangerous or even overly slippy. I have trained on the track throughout the snow of last winter and on heavily rainy days and nights and I thought that the track was safer than running on footpaths or roads that would cause me greater concerns as to the stability of underfoot conditions. I have trained over various distances around the track from 100 metres to 15,000 metres, across all eight lanes of the track and have never found there to be any cause for concern. Indeed, I have trained on the UCD All Weather Rugby and GAA pitches at the same time in poor weather conditions (wearing appropriate footwear of course) and have found that the track provided a safer terrain for runners.

I will of course clarify this statement by saying that the track has fallen far below the standard expected and required for a competitive running track. I have found this to be a source of much personal disdain in the past. I reasoned this decline as a symptom of how athletics is viewed in this country both by the authorities who are charged with promoting and developing the games and by UCD itself. I attended UCD for four years and played on various college teams in different sports on many occasions. I have found that the resource, time and development given to the athletics by the college to be far below what many would expect of the "premier" sporting university in Ireland as well as the largest university in Ireland. Again, I have chalked this down previously to the
    utter mismanagement and inept organisation of athletics in this country, however , given the decision to close the track I have revised my opinions.

When the media broach the topic as to the current malaise of athletic talent and coaching in Ireland following the Olypmic games next summer it will again highlight just how bad the basic decisions have been by figures who you directly deal with. Hundreds of people, from casual walkers to young elite track and field athletes use the UCD track facility each week. The track serves a wide catchment area in the city. I would hope that UCD Sport are aware of the massive consequences that this will have directly on the lives of both elite and amateur athletes of all ages in this country. How can Ireland expect to foster a culture of sporting excellence and participation when the largest university in Ireland and one of the most heavily used athletics tracks in the country closes in an Olympic year? It is a cause of much shame to myself that this is the case and I would hope that the same emotions are mirrored in the UCD Sport offices.

Indeed as a GAA man, you will appreciate that I liken the decision to the same insane, illogical actions to limit the capacity of GAA Grounds around the country on the basis of irrational whims of the PC Health and Safety Brigade. In the current climate, I would implore that common sense prevails over the vested interests of political committees who seek out and ratify these decisions.

Finally, the most frustrating thing about the decision to close the track is the fact that there are no outlined or approved plans to replace the facility anytime in the near future. I find this to be a direct reflection of the management of the university in both an administrative, logistical and sporting context. I think you should mention it to Dr Brady that an athletics track is probably on the list of required facilities for universities to move up the ranking tables given that is what the primary concern of his office seems to be.

I would appreciate a reply outlining in detail why the decision to close the track was taken and what facilities will be put in place for the students of UCD and the athletes and patrons of sport in Ireland. I will pass your comments on to the people that this outrageous decision affects.

Yours in sport,
    Thomas Donohoe"

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

I know students have it rough :rolleyes:, but seriously ? A nightmare trek? The Number 3 bus goes from UCD through Irishtown and will leave you approximately 200 metres from the stadium entrance. Hardly the stuff of nightmares. As for the timeslots, avoid Tuesday and Thursday between 6.30 and 8.30 and you'll have a virtually deserted track to play with.

I know that closing the UCD track is a shame, but a little less hyperbole and a bit more rational debate might have got you further

Irish-town costs money. UCD was free and open when you wanted to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

gmurran wrote: »

5euros per session if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Timmaay wrote: »
    5euros per session if I'm not mistaken?

Yes it's €5 which as a once off is not much but as a regular user it builds up over a year. Dublin city council need to do something here as much as UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I know students have it rough :rolleyes:, but seriously ? A nightmare trek? The Number 3 bus goes from UCD through Irishtown and will leave you approximately 200 metres from the stadium entrance. Hardly the stuff of nightmares. As for the timeslots, avoid Tuesday and Thursday between 6.30 and 8.30 and you'll have a virtually deserted track to play with.

I know that closing the UCD track is a shame, but a little less hyperbole and a bit more rational debate might have got you further

Dont DSD also have it booked once or twice a week to? (and probably more now that Belfield is gone)

You are talking of three of the clubs with some of the highest training attendances in Dublin ( between sprinters and distance this year you have in excess of 80 people in UCDAC alone on a single night) then look to DSD juvenile and senior training its going to create a logistical nightmare for not just UCD but DSD also I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

gmurran wrote: »

cambo_gueno talks sense. Its shocking the track has been dug up but at least there are viable options. Irishtown is very close to UCD. Its a sad day when a track is dug up, very sad. I heard talk of it being closed as far back as 12 or 13 years ago when they used to have chains across the track. Anything that creates a barrier to staying in the sport isn't good.

Irishtown by the way has suffered a bit of damage too and is in serious need of an overhaul. The extra traffic won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ecoli wrote: »
    Dont DSD also have it booked once or twice a week to? (and probably more now that Belfield is gone)

You are talking of three of the clubs with some of the highest training attendances in Dublin ( between sprinters and distance this year you have in excess of 80 people in UCDAC alone on a single night) then look to DSD juvenile and senior training its going to create a logistical nightmare for not just UCD but DSD also I reckon

Trinity train on the track on Monday nights too from 6pm, both the sprinters and distance runners. There was always a big crowd when i trained with them.

Lads ye are missing the point altogether. UCD is the largest university in the country. People shouldn't have to travel to Irishtown to use already overcrowded facilities. It is totally and utterly unacceptable that the university which markets itself as the best university in the country cannot provide such a basic facility to the city which funds its very existence. In fact it is an absolute disgrace. I hope there will be a meaningful protest over this. Indeed, I will be the first person, as an alumni of UCD and a taxpayer of this country to call for Brian Mullins to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

How does Dublin compare with other European capitals?
    Greater Dublin has 4 tracks (Irish Town, Tallaght, Santry, ALSAA) am I missing any? So about 1 for every quarter of a million - is that good or bad?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I just found 3 on a quick look at the satellite images of Google Maps for Bristol, two that I didn't previously know about and one that I did. Couldn't find the other one that I know some club mates train at on one of the days I don't bother turning up though. There is also at least another 1 within 5 miles of the north of the city in a small'ish town as well.

So I think between half a million'ish of us there is at least 5 tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

The huge sums of money spent on all weather pitches
    flood lighting and 5 a-side cages will tell you where the priority
    of UCD sports is. A running track is never going to make you money.
    Its was due to move by 2010 no chance now.

I wonder if the Health and Safety report had any other suggestions
    rather that ripping the track up. Maybe some sort of repairs or maintenance maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Duke Fame wrote: »
    The huge sums of money spent on all weather pitches
    flood lighting and 5 a-side cages will tell you where the priority
    of UCD sports is. A running track is never going to make you money.
    Its was due to move by 2010 no chance now.

rather that ripping the track up. Maybe some sort of repairs or maintenance maybe.

Coming into an Olympic year in a country in close proximity to where the Games are being held with a similar climate. Seems to me if they had acted before now they had a great chance to recouping the money by providing a training centre for some national teams.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I just found 3 on a quick look at the satellite images of Google Maps for Bristol, two that I didn't previously know about and one that I did. Couldn't find the other one that I know some club mates train at on one of the days I don't bother turning up though. There is also at least another 1 within 5 miles of the north of the city in a small'ish town as well.

So I think between half a million'ish of us there is at least 5 tracks.

I can fooking guarantee you that the university in Bristol has a running track. Even "universities" in third world countries have running tracks!

I wonder a lot what the hell is going on with the management out there in Belfield. There is a high likelihood that it will be a pay and display carpark by January.

Bristol is hosting the training camp for Kenya next year, and Bath is hosting the UK team. I have just discovered who the guy that Bristols newest track is named after, quite why is was named after him I'm not sure though.

Kip Keino

ecoli wrote: »
    Coming into an Olympic year in a country in close proximity to where the Games are being held with a similar climate. Seems to me if they had acted before now they had a great chance to recouping the money by providing a training centre for some national teams.

The day after the Olympics were given to London, and the UK was dealing with the underground bombings, Ireland should have been out building/ upgrading a bunch of new facilities for various sports and arranging renting them out to the rest of the world for a couple of months next year. The costs would have been mostly covered by the teams coming over.

Has to be one of the biggest missed opportunities for sports facilities in Ireland. Maybe it was just too obvious a thing to do that everyone figured that someone else would be looking after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Duke Fame wrote: »

We are trying to get hold of this report, but so far we have not been allowed to look at it! Which suggests there is something in it that UCD do not want us to see, the likes of recommendations other then dig up the track etc. Someone high up in UCD has zero regard for athletics and has other plans for the land that the track is on now would be my opinion. The whole way a 1 metre strip was dugup across the track to stop use of it within 24hours of announcing the closure of the track was simply their way of ensuring that there is zero comeback for any students/other users etc, and no point us having a protest to save it etc.

Timmaay wrote: »
    We are trying to get hold of this report, but so far we have not been allowed to look at it! Which suggests there is something in it that UCD do not want us to see, the likes of recommendations other then dig up the track etc. Someone high up in UCD has zero regard for athletics and has other plans for the land that the track is on now would be my opinion. The whole way a 1 metre strip was dugup across the track to "limit" within 24hours of announcing the closure of the track was simply their way of ensuring that there is zero comeback for any students/other users etc, and no point us having a protest to save it etc.

I wouldn't surprise me if they have broken some law, or even just some college bylaw/ regulation, about the removal of facilities without giving adequate warning. Not sure what terms to search under, but if there is then they could be forced to fix the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

You are missing the point to such a degree that i nearly think you are taking the piss.

The track at UCD has now been destroyed. The land has been designated for other use. A large piece of land in the most expensive are of Ireland has moved from being reserved for athletics to being reserved for cars to park on. It almost certainly will not be replaced unless we can put enough pressure on Brian Mullins and co that he thinks his job is at stake.

You could ask to see their Permit To Dig and check that was at least authorised correctly for starters. Does a running track constitute "crossing services"?

You are missing the point to such a degree that i nearly think you are taking the piss.

The track at UCD has now been destroyed. The land has been designated for other use. A large piece of land in the most expensive are of Ireland has moved from being reserved for athletics to being reserved for cars to park on. It almost certainly will not be replaced unless we can put enough pressure on Brian Mullins and co that he thinks his job is at stake.

My thoughts exactly - this is an absolute scandal. "Head of Sport destroys sporting facilities for thousands of people" - reason enough for his job to be legitimately at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

The track has been in bits for the last few years.Was still being used by alot of people.
    Something could and should have been done a few years ago as people in the know knew about it closing down.
    the abrupt closure is what shocked most people and I guess this was to stop and likely protesting.

There was alot of clubs using it like DSD and others who along with UCD might have stepped in to re-surface the track.I just think the powers above could have done something and you are right about brian Mullins,if this was a gaelic pitch maybe it would be a differn't story?????

Advertisement