Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD track to close!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Just a cop out. A track needs certain minimum standards if it is to host an official meeting. There are no minimum standards for people doing casual laps or sessions. It's far safer than grass running or, as said previously, forcing people to run on uneven pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

b) ensuring that the track is no longer usable and thus stopping students from endangering themselves.
    well, unless they dig up the whole track, it's still quite usable and actually more dangerous :P

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

I wonder if they needed planning permission to do that the to the track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Are they going to bad all running on the campus in case someone falls over and cuts their knees.
    And where is the student council, in my day we would have organised a riot.:pac:

smunchkins wrote: »
    I wonder if they needed planning permission to do that the to the track?
    Not at this stage. If they want to change usage/build on, then they'd have to apply for planning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

gerard65 wrote: »
    Are they going to bad all running on the campus in case someone falls over and cuts their knees.
    And where is the student council, in my day we would have organised a riot.:pac:

trench dug within 20 hours of notice given. there was a meeting today regarding it but damage was done by then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ecoli wrote: »
    trench dug within 20 hours of notice given. there was a meeting today regarding it but damage was done by then

Should be able to force them to repair the track on that section at least for not having given an appropriate amount of notice of the action. Then they can still go along and get rid of the track at a later date, but there must be something about them "having" to give more notice that they can be forced to now repair what they did.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Something sinister going on behind the scenes no doubt about it.
    Nothing new there from UCD admin - never an organisation I was particularly fond of. Disgraceful how they've handled this, but sadly not surprising given some of their previous form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

We'd take even that beat up track no question over in roscommon !

Regards the footpaths , The Council seem to be immune from been sued , i'm familiar with a few strong cases gone to courts , taken against the council and they get off no bother !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Timmaay wrote: »
    and they obviously left it late as possible to tell us so as there would be nothing we could do!
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Go out and chain yourself to the digger !!!

Totally agree you should stage a protest until at least after the Senior XC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

This decision has Brian Mullins' grubby paws all over it. The GAA pitch in the college can, apparently, be quite slippy when it is wet. Perhaps, in the interest of health and safety, they should dig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

http://www.goal.ie/GOAL_Mile/146
    UCD GOAL Mile alone attracts an attendance in excess of 4,000 each year.

Looks like GOAL will be taking a big hit this year. I wonder if UCD even bothered to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firemouth

absolutely astonished by this!the fact that it was allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair without a replacement track being planned shows either complete incompetence or complete contempt for sports at ucd both of which should be unacceptable.In fairness Brian Mullins is probably not to blame here but he definitly would have known what was going on and if he had any balls he would stood up,voiced his disapproval and let others know what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Sad to hear this news, track had got bad over the last few years. But it was more the scum/moss on the track which made it deadly slippy.
    Sure this could have been hosed or cleaned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

This decision has Brian Mullins' grubby paws all over it. The GAA pitch in the college can, apparently, be quite slippy when it is wet. Perhaps, in the interest of health and safety, they should dig it up.

Yep, Mr Mullins. Another former 'legendary' sports star who is allowed to be an incredibly inept sporting administrator in an important position.

I look forward to reproducing that picture when the bandwagon media and public start complaining about us not winning 5 gold medals in London. 9 months out from an Olympics on our doorstep and we are digging up tracks!! Can you imagine any other country doing this? It would be funny if it wasn't so lamentable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I look forward to reproducing that picture when the bandwagon media and public start complaining about us not winning 5 gold medals in London. 9 months out from an Olympics on our doorstep and we are digging up tracks!! Can you imagine any other country doing this? It would be funny if it wasn't so lamentable.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Did I hear correctly that Ringsend/Irishtown is 10-12 miles from Belfield:eek:. It was mentioned twice. 10-12 minutes would be more like it (in off-peak traffic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

On Twitter now too @SaveUCDTrack

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

If anyone want to support the push for a new track, the campaign is kicking off right about now. . .any support, no matter how small, will be appreciated. . .

Petitions will be available to sign tomorrow across campus calling for a new track, and hopefully online soon. . .

On Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCD-SAVE-OUR-TRACK/253464394710434?sk=wall

On Twitter:

via #saveourtrack

This isn't just for the athletes, this is for joggers, walkers, and other sportspeople. . . they probably won't listen, but it won't be from lack of shouting. . .thank you. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Health & Safety is a flimsy excuse for ripping up the UCD track. A simple 'use at own risk' sign would have done if that was the worry :mad:
    it's the usual weasel excuse though ...

Article in today's irish Times about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

plodder wrote: »
    it's the usual weasel excuse though ...

Article in today's irish Times about it

You beat me to the punch. Was literally about to post this.

I hope he writes a more opinionated article on it in the coming days. Ian O'Riordan is a very good knowledgeable athletics writer (there's not many of them in Ireland!), and he more than anybody can bring this to the masses, and cause a bit of a stir, and embarassment for UCD, which may, you never know, lead something proactive to happen.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

This is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

04072511 wrote: »
    You beat me to the punch. Was literally about to post this.

I hope he writes a more opinionated article on it in the coming days. Ian O'Riordan is a very good knowledgeable athletics writer (there's not many of them in Ireland!), and he more than anybody can bring this to the masses, and cause a bit of a stir, and embarassment for UCD, which may, you never know, lead something proactive to happen.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws.
    I always like his columns as well. For people like me, it's basically all we ever hear about athletics (outside of this forum).

The more I think about that excuse the more pathetic it sounds. Basic remediation to make it safe couldn't cost that much (it's not like it has to be up to IAAF standards). Presumably, the GAA pitches wouldn't be too safe either if they never cut the grass. Everything needs maintenance. Big mistake by the sports people in UCD to let it be dug up, when there is no firm plan to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Is it still possible to use the infield and throwing circles?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bruce7 wrote: »

Nope, there may be moles or rabbits have dug holes there which could cause death by tripping, or even worse a twisted ankle. And of course the hidden dangers of a worm emerging from the depths of the field and then biting lumps out of your legs can never be over stated.

Keep off the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Bruce7 wrote: »

No, whole track is closed, and there are signs up stating its a building site!

robinph wrote: »
    Nope, there may be moles or rabbits have dug holes there which could cause death by tripping, or even worse a twisted ankle. And of course the hidden dangers of a worm emerging from the depths of the field and then biting lumps out of your legs can never be over stated.

Keep off the grass.

:D

I'll take my chances as long as there is still access to the field and security won't come and throw me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

but certainly it was better then what we are faced with now, trying to get some sort of 1/2 decent timeslot in the already packed out Irishtown, which is a bit of a nightmare trek for students to get out to during rushhour.

I know students have it rough :rolleyes:, but seriously ? A nightmare trek? The Number 3 bus goes from UCD through Irishtown and will leave you approximately 200 metres from the stadium entrance. Hardly the stuff of nightmares. As for the timeslots, avoid Tuesday and Thursday between 6.30 and 8.30 and you'll have a virtually deserted track to play with.

I know that closing the UCD track is a shame, but a little less hyperbole and a bit more rational debate might have got you further

• Advertisement

No, whole track is closed, and there are signs up stating its a building site!

Oh ok. That's ridiculous. It completely gives the lie to the health and safety explanation. The circles were fine.

Advertisement