Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Infastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just looks like the FAI playing poor mouth to get the Croke Park rent payed for or cancelled.

I'm also dubious about UEFA give a toss about Lansdowne being selected over Croke Park "because it is our home stadium"

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It makes sense I suppose.

With bolted on seating in Hill 16 Croke Park would still have a capacity in the high 60k if not 70k or more, that's a lot of seats for a stadium that is in relatively remote location compared to where the main action is going on.

Give it some fairly mediocre games at the prices UEFA like to charge and it would be a struggle to sell out.

And the idea of trying to avoid two stadiums in close proximity is nothing new for UEFA, that's what sunk the infamous Ireland/Scotland Euro 2008 bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Access i would have taught would not be an issue with the amount of cheap flights to ireland you could even do day trips with sone of the games.

Then again like you say with some of the games with the smaller nations playing each other they might not be good games for locals to go to and with high ticket prices you may well struggle to fill 70k seats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah there are cheap flights, but it's still a flight you have to take.

If you are a fan over in the UK for your teams games you can hop on a train and go to another random game in the UK.

I was at the world cup in Japan, I went to a few more games by train other than the Ireland games.

It never crossed my mind to get on a flight (which was cheap) to go to South Korea for a game.

"Hopping on a train" can be a very expensive experience in the UK. I saw nothing of the country when I lived in London because it was so much cheaper to fly abroad.

I do get your general point though and use any country other than the UK and you are right.

• Advertisement

So the word is that Cork will be playing in SuperValu Pairc for the next few years (to be ratified tonight)

I believe it will be the first GAA stadium to drop its commemorative name for a sponsors name. Even in Limerick where the stadium didn't carry a persons name "TUS" was only added to the front of Gaelic Grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah I think it's fine. It was the 'Athletic grounds ' before ' Pairc Ui Chaoimh'. I think 'Supervalu Park' sounds grand and it's going to be Supervalu Park or Pairc. The money is very good. Progress really.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭kksaints

Carlow sort of mangled theirs as it moved from Dr Cullen Park to Netwatch Cullen Park which was strange.

Supervalu Pairc sounds awful and looks terrible written down also. €300,000 a year while better than nothing doesn't seem a huge amount also.

It's a lot by Irish naming standards but there isn't many examples to compare to.

Just a very odd decision to rename something with a person's name on it. Maybe county councils can rename streets. Who needs O'Connell St. when you can walk down Allied Healthcare St. Get the train to Red Bull station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

If they get money for it who gives a shite tbh.

• Advertisement

Rename the whole team like the South African rugby.

SuperValu Rebels Vs the Avonmore Yogurts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Should have called it Musgrave (Group) Park now that that name is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

It will be just like when Mike Ashley renamed St James Park the Sports Direct Arena and everyone just ended up still referring to it as St James Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

Who gives a toss what the official name is? Seriously?

I was upset they renamed it originally . I always called it the 'Athletics Grounds' since the 70s. Probably sounds better as Supervalu Park then what they ended up calling it. And it was originally 'the Park' not the gaelic 'the 'pairc.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

How was it originally "the park" when it was called the Athletic Grounds ?

Pity rugby and soccer crowds aren't the same when they talk about "the Aviva"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Are they going to invest any money into the stadium I wonder?

Should of called it Musgrave Pairc. More catchy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Prior to the Athletic Grounds the whole sloblands was reclaimed and made into a 'Park' in the late 19th century. So the whole area was known as 'The Park'. Military bands would play there and events such as athletics and of course the Munster show went on there prior to any hurling

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Lots of people it would seem.

The process was "paused" last night due to the backlash but it's not clear if it's Cork or Musgrave's who are worried about the bad press.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That was the Showgrounds, where the Marquee goes - Wikipedia doesn't always tell you the correct things!

Haven't heard it called The Athletic Grounds in over 40 years.

It is, was and always will be The Páirc.

Like I said the whole area was relaimed after work to form a deepwater self scouring channel in the Lee'. It was known as the Park prior to the stadium being built in recognition of its purpose as an amenity area. You're knowledge seems to start in the 1970's but the history of the area is quite a bit older.

Park' is the English for 'Pairc' you do realise that don't you ShamoBuc?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The Stadium was always known as the Páirc.

The 'area' surrounding it - included the Munster Showgrounds and The Atlantic Pond- is not the stadium.

The Stadium is known as the Páirc.

You do realise the difference between the Whole Area that was there for hundreds of years and a Stadium built in the 70's.

The Stadium is known as The Páirc.

You do realise the very clear difference Peggy? Naming rights for The Stadium!

It should not be that lingustically challenging for you, in any language.

So "SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh" it is.

10 year deal and 110m jokes about the stadiums "super value" to come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't understand why they didn't do a sponsorship deal at the time of the redeveloped stadium opening. They could have received €1.5 - 2m since then. Should have been done once the construction cost increased.

Because the County Board have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot before eventually getting it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭mrskinner

SPUC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭roadmaster

So with the Norths Government back up and running will be see movement with casement?

• Advertisement

Just get Michelle to compulsory purchase Ravenhill 🤣

But yes hopefully it will move now although it might be too late for the Euros and those clowns up above have already scuppered a Tour de France bid.

Advertisement