Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Infastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I totally agree that it's over ambitious, and it will be a white elephant, and that the initial planning objections where from the mainly nationalist community living beside the place.

But it sure as hell will turn into them v us the longer it stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The supporters' group, AONISC, is monitoring the funding issue.

A spokesperson said: "Should Casement Park receive the significant public funding required to allow redevelopment to progress, we believe that Northern Ireland football should receive parity of funding."

And therein lies the problem, its not just putting up the money for the stadium, its buying off everyone else too. Even taking out the money already spent on Windsor and Ravenhill, that could be another £50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not at all, who are these clowns? The equivalent to a supporters club like YBIG for Ireland.They can have an opinion but bringing a Euros to NI is bigger than a few lads chancing their arm looking for 10s of millions because "the others" got it too.

Also the Tories have shown (as have successive UK government's and the general UK populace) that they don't care about NI and will ride roughshod over them when it suits.They don't care about their unique quirks and little squabbles even though they sometimes pay a bit of lip service to them.

Bottom line is if the UK government want NI in the bid (as they have stated) then one of two things will happen,Windsor Park will be significantly upgraded or Casement will be built.There will be local opposition to both but one of them will happen.

I hope its Casement.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If it is to be Casement then the GAA and political parties need to strenuously avoid being drawn into a them v us debacle. I wouldn't be opptimistic that it will be avoided in the current climate. The proposers of the tournament will move on because they have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As if UEFA ever listened to fans.

You're have as much hope of the Tories listening to the DUP 🤣

The point is that there will be all sorts of opportunists looking to get something out of this, and if they can't get something they will do their best to ensure that the other side also end up with nothing. And that's before considering all the other causes which are short on funding.

Take a step back and look at what they want to spend £100m+ of tax payers money on, a stadium to hosts likely 3 games in a once in a lifetime tournament plus 1 game a year which might or might not get over 80% capacity attending. I'm sure even SDLP and Alliance will struggle to support that.

I think the pattern we've seen with UK governments is that they will do whats easiest/best for themselves with regards to NI. If that means NI has to drop out of hosting after the bid has been successful, that is likely what will happen. They can even pretend to be the good guys and they approve of the project, safe in the knowledge that NI will likely conspire against itself and prevent the project from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

I agree with you.

My point is either Casement will be built or Windsor Park upgraded again.Whichever is the handiest to do will be the one the UK government go with.They won't be making decisions based off a football supporters group.

They've already stated how important it is to have NI in the bid (although they could drop them like a hot sh1te if that suits) which is the 3rd option.However I think for the sake of £100m or so it would be better political gain to have them in.Petty squabbles between vested interests and resident loons in NI isn't even on the radar of the average Brit.

No way Windsor can double it's capacity without scraping the new stands just built. I think that idea is nothing more than some IFA wet dream.

It's Casement or nothing for games in NI.

If it is a case that Windsor gets another upgrade (which I don't think will happen) what then do the Ulster GAA do?

They are still going to be without "their" stadium and the IFA have got even more.

As a GAA fan I hate this local ambition to build stadiums that are way too big for what is required.

Look at PUC, it's way to big and in the wrong location, it has never sold out for a GAA event.

Now Kerry want a huge upgrade to Fitzgerald stadium.

There is talking of Louth having plans for a big stadium.

What every county should have is a ground like the Athletic Grounds in Armagh, nice and tidy, and then every province something bigger.

The Ulster GAA would be better off doing a big job on Clones than this Belfast folly, but I know that won't happen either.

The upshot of all this is that Turkey will win the bid for Euro 2028.

• Advertisement

PUC was as good as sold out for Limerick vs Cork last year. Doesn't happen a lot I know but of all the counties Cork is the one I have the least problem with having a big stadium. Armagh is a good template for the majority of counties I agree. Clare, Laois and Kilkenny come to mind too.

Kerry wil be getting no upgrade.

And the Euro bid won't rest on Casement. The English have a ton of stadia to step in.

If the English, or more specifically the British have a ton of stadia to step in why did they need the island of Ireland in the first place?

Including Ireland was always going to be trouble.

They could not include the south without the north for political reasons, but the north had nothing to offer other than the promise of a GAA ground mired in controversy and delays.

The English are probably the best equipped FA in Europe stadium wise.

But everyone hates them so for political reasons they added NI, Wales, Scotland and most importantly Ireland to win votes. There is no such thing as "the Brits" in soccer so the Brits can't go it alone and the English FA adding Ireland is no more or less hassle than adding Scotland.

The biggest issue England (and the UK) has always had in terms of hosting tournaments is the IFAB and their refuses to reform the ridiculous control the home nations have over the game.

If Casement was redeveloped for Antrim GAA needs only it probably wouldnt be that big of project. A new stand like Kildare, Relay the pitch and restore the terraces. Floodlights may have to be fully replaced or just the actual lights if lucky. What is the average attendence at an Antrim gaa game eitjer football or hurling?

But everyone hates them so for political reasons.

That's not actually the case, but instead is a narrow Irish view.

England, Wales, Scotland would have been able to do this without any need for Ireland.

No it's not an Irish point of view at all.

It's got to do with internal soccer politics as I explained.

They could have done it without us but what is the problem with Dublin being used ?

The problem with including Dublin but not Belfast was that it was not a runner politically in the UK.

I know most here don't give a toss about northern unionists but they have a genuine fear that they are being ingonred by the rest of the UK and that is a slippery slope to a united Ireland.

And inviting the ROI to be part of a bid and not NI would have only hightened that sense of exclusion.

So the bid invited the ROI because it gave them two stadiums but it also had to invite NI which gave them nothing other than a long promised stadium for a different sport.

It looks like pashcal is worried about having to pay towards casement. Dublin County Boards must be in his ear!

DUP says it would be “greatly concerned” if the UK Gov allocated additional resources to the project when other vital public services need more funding. Very easy for them to deflect from their obvious sectarian motivations to something more reasonable and universal on this. I'm sure there'll be a lot of people of the same mind regarding allocating additional funding to this project when other public services are seeing funding cut, including many considered to be of a Nationalist persuasion.

• Advertisement

With the UUP now saying the same thing, there is no avoiding it becoming a them versus us issue, sadly.

I love how people drag out the " other vital services" when it's for something they don't have an interest in.

It happens here too with people and their "why are they wasting money on x when we have all the homeless" to then happily forgot about the homeless as soon as the stadium/trainline/streetscape project is sunk.

If the DUP are so worried about how funding is spent why don't they take their seats in government and do something about it.

There may be an element of us v them but I don’t think it will be divided along the traditional Nationalist v Unionist lines. I'm sure many who would be considered Nationalist will also question the benefit of Casement v the cost of building it.

There have been cuts to education and other very important services. It is entirely valid to question spending so much money on a stadium which will rarely be used.

It will be 'politically' them v us and that's the important bit. What the people think won't matter.

Then why are the DUP not out every day screaming about cuts to education and other services.

Why are the DUP constantly licking the rim off the Tory party who cut these services ?

The services and the stadium don't have to be a one or the other situation.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

There is no stadium is this country which would stand up to the scrutiny of how often it's used. Not sure it has ever been a criterion for the construction of a stadium. And let's be honest, in the context of the North such arguments would be a smokescreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Casement should be torn down and rebuilt as a 10k capacity stadium with a top class pitch that makes a suitable home venue for Antrim GAA during the league and a place that the clubs can be aspire to play in, be it a Senior county hurling final or an u13 championship game. That should be the focus of all GAA stadium upgrades going forward. Some may justify 5 or 7.5k more in capacity but no more than that. There's far more important uses for the funds than perpetually producing white elephants. And building them is one thing but maintaining them is a huge cost and burden too.

Post edited by threeball on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Just build the thing for god sake, if GAA want to take the association to another level they absolutely need a top class venue in the biggest city in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If Antrim are to have such a pitch then an equivalent amount of money should go to the other 5 counties.

Advertisement