Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Infastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Where would you build one anywhere? It makes no sense to have centralised stadiums when most counties already have a stadium which can host all bar the odd exceptional championship game. Improving facilities at these grounds would be a better use of funds. The vast majority of Championship games don't need a high capacity, high spec stadium. You'd lose supporters who attend a game locally but can't/don't want to travel.

I agree. It was Threeball not me that said every county should only have 10/15k wth 1 larger per provence which is fine for some areas but a bad idea for Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I agree. It was Threeball not me that said every county should only have 10/15k wth 1 larger per provence which is fine for some areas but a bad idea for Munster

Yes I know. That idea gets trotted out here every few months but when you scratch below the surface, you see it doesn't stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

What is the new PUC like anyway I was never in it. It looks very impressive structure wise. But what is the atmosphere like in it? Does it take time for an atmosphere to 'bed in' ?

It has been good for the Munster round robin games I have been to, the Limerick game on the sat night in 2018 bringing the best atmosphere and about 35k attendance. Sight lines all pretty good from the stands, including high up on the second tier of south stand.

It has been good for the Munster round robin games I have been to, the Limerick game on the sat night in 2018 bringing the best atmosphere and about 35k attendance. Sight lines all pretty good from the stands, including high up on the second tier of south stand.

Can't wait to finally go there and see the new stadium. The old place was one of the biggest kips I have been to for a GAA match and a county like Cork bit it's big fan base and teams at the sharp end of all competitions deserved better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Having been to both PnG and Thomond Park plenty of times I wouldnt swap all the giant mess that is PnG for little Thomond Park and all its mod cons.

I like them both..better view in Thomond overall and its a good evening out but the Gaelic Grounds is unique. I was there for many munster finals. Its got some history..probably the third most important stadium for the hurling games played in it, going back to the Cork v Tipp clashes of the 60s and beyond. It wasnt quiet full for the All Ireland semi of Mayo v Kerry but the atmosphere was electric.....18th best ground according to some absolute eejit writing in a national paper this week..lol

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

I like them both..better view in Thomond overall and its a good evening out but the Gaelic Grounds is unique. I was there for many munster finals. Its got some history..probably the third most important stadium for the hurling games played in it, going back to the Cork v Tipp clashes of the 60s and beyond. It wasnt quiet full for the All Ireland semi of Mayo v Kerry but the atmosphere was electric.....18th best ground according to some absolute eejit writing in a national paper this week..lol

18th best if you are there on a quiet day when only the Mackey and its crap views is open. The uncovered stand and the city terrace are great come championship

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

Its everything thats wrong with most GAA stadiums. Too big, obstructed views, no shelter from the elements, pitch that doesn't hold up in wet weather, no proper food or toilet facilities. Its just a big lump thats good once every 5yrs when it gets a big championship game on a fine day. Any stadium is good on those days.

threeball wrote: »
    Its everything thats wrong with most GAA stadiums. Too big, obstructed views, no shelter from the elements, pitch that doesn't hold up in wet weather, no proper food or toilet facilities. Its just a big lump thats good once every 5yrs when it gets a big championship game on a fine day. Any stadium is good on those days.

I don't remember the pitch being a problem in PnaG no more so than anywhere else anyway. Toilets are one thing it has no problem with there are plenty in comparison to most stadiums I have been in.

The laziness not to build real shops in the new stand and the stupid planning requirement to put the floodlights inside the stands really take from the place though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It wouldn't have been able to host an All Ireland semi if it was smaller. It wouldnt be able to host Munster finals if it was under 45,000 or so . And thats essential for Limerick. The facilities could be improved but the ablutions are good all over the grounds. The food outlets are poor overall.
    Your basic premise that Munster should have one large stadium in Thurles was never a runner. Unacceptable on many levels. Tipperary getting to play all finals in their home stadium that they train on every week. Thurles doesn't have the hotel capacity ,that's why it lost out on the All Ireland semi. The way it is now is perfect.. Munster finals rotating regularly between the GG, Athletic Grounds and Thurles.
    In my opinion you don't need both stands covered either. Hurling is a summer game and 1 large covered stand is sufficient for winter.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

It wouldn't have been able to host an All Ireland semi if it was smaller. It wouldnt be able to host Munster finals if it was under 45,000 or so . And thats essential for Limerick. The facilities could be improved but the ablutions are good all over the grounds. The food outlets are poor overall.
    Your basic premise that Munster should have one large stadium in Thurles was never a runner. Unacceptable on many levels. Tipperary getting to play all finals in their home stadium that they train on every week. Thurles doesn't have the hotel capacity ,that's why it lost out on the All Ireland semi. The way it is now is perfect.. Munster finals rotating regularly between the GG, Athletic Grounds and Thurles.
    In my opinion you don't need both stands covered either. Hurling is a summer game and 1 large covered stand is sufficient for winter.

Hopefully the plans go ahead to roof the uncovered stand so that can be turned into the main stand for league and club games where a roof and hot food/coffee are a bit more important in the crap weather. The Mackey stand is crap and ide happily see it knocked for a new steeper stand even if that meant a smaller one.

And Thurles might have history but I don't really like the town and I much rather head down to a bigger city like Cork for a big occasion like a Munster final

• Advertisement

Tipperary wouldn't be using it as their home ground if it were the Munster stadium. Its far from perfect to have stadia which are 3 times too big for their actual requirements which have tumbleweed blowing across them bar one day every 5yrs.
    The AISF is a complete red herring as it only happened due to the replay and Croker being booked and the two teams that were involved. Its unlikely to happen again in your lifetime. Not really a great argument to build a stadium round. As is the hurling is a summer game argument, except when its played in October, November, December, January and February which is when the majority of games take place in reality.

Tipperary wouldn't be using it as their home ground if it were the Munster stadium. Its far from perfect to have stadia which are 3 times too big for their actual requirements which have tumbleweed blowing across them bar one day every 5yrs.
    The AISF is a complete red herring as it only happened due to the replay and Croker being booked and the two teams that were involved. Its unlikely to happen again in your lifetime. Not really a great argument to build a stadium round. As is the hurling is a summer game argument, except when its played in October, November, December, January and February which is when the majority of games take place in reality.

How about this for a reason to build it. I'm from Limerick and I like PnaG I don't care if it is too big for half the games it has absolutely never ruined my enjoyment of a game there and neither has the rain. I think Limerick as the 3rd biggest city in the Republic should have the 3rd biggest GAA stadium and one big enough for Munster finals.

I read a lot of complaint in the media about it from people who I am pretty sure have either never been there or were there a few times for Limerick v Waterford football matches or something. I also read a lot of waffle from Leinster fans who are just jealous of the Munster championship and its crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Sense the round robin was introduced to the provincial hurling championships in 2018 Limerick, Thurles and Pairc ui chaoimh have all got crowds over 30k for ordinary round robin games with 1 team as the home team, so a 2 year sample size shows that the 1 big venue per province doesn't stack.

How about this for a reason to build it. I'm from Limerick and I like PnaG I don't care if it is too big for half the games it has absolutely never ruined my enjoyment of a game there and neither has the rain. I think Limerick as the 3rd biggest city in the Republic should have the 3rd biggest GAA stadium and one big enough for Munster finals.

I read a lot of complaint in the media about it from people who I am pretty sure have either never been there or were there a few times for Limerick v Waterford football matches or something. I also read a lot of waffle from Leinster fans who are just jealous of the Munster championship and its crowds
    I have never seen 1 comment from Leinster fans been jealous of Munster crowds, the only complaint i seen recently was Munster round robin been ring fenced and unfair on Kerry and Leinster championship been not been ring fenced, I'm not saying the 5th place team in a Munster round robin should be relegated but maybe compete in a play off which they probably would win. For example in 2018 and 19 that game would have been Offaly v Waterford and Carlow v Waterford, if the Deise couldn't win those they could have no complaints been potentially relegated.

I have never seen 1 comment from Leinster fans been jealous of Munster crowds, the only complaint i seen recently was Munster round robin been ring fenced and unfair on Kerry and Leinster championship been not been ring fenced, I'm not saying the 5th place team in a Munster round robin should be relegated but maybe compete in a play off which they probably would win. For example in 2018 and 19 that game would have been Offaly v Waterford and Carlow v Waterford, if the Deise couldn't win those they could have no complaints been potentially relegated.

No one is going to straight out say it but there is often snide remarks about the big Munster stadium followed by tutting and begrudgery when crowd sizes are mentioned.

There is relegation from Munster. If Waterford play Carlow and lose do Laois then come up into Munster and then if next year the Munster team lose again you have Westmeath in Munster too.

Under round robin if Kerry win Joe then we have a playoff with bottom of Munster. If Leinster don't have a similar playoff that is their problem

No one is going to straight out say it but there is often snide remarks about the big Munster stadium followed by tutting and begrudgery when crowd sizes are mentioned.

There is relegation from Munster. If Waterford play Carlow and lose do Laois then come up into Munster and then if next year the Munster team lose again you have Westmeath in Munster too.

Under round robin if Kerry win Joe then we have a playoff with bottom of Munster. If Leinster don't have a similar playoff that is their problem
    I would completely disagree on these snide remarks your claiming, there's a few comments in jest and there generally harmless about both the Leinster and Munster championships but the stadiums elements never comes from what I can remember, i think you're taking the whole thing way too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Noting to do with the facilities but Not a fan of the Gaelic Grounds because I'm from Waterford. Reckon a gypsy put a curse on anything to do with us regarding that stadium

Certain areas of Semple Stadium are scruvy as **** but the atmosphere can be electric on certain championship games

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Noting to do with the facilities but Not a fan of the Gaelic Grounds because I'm from Waterford. Reckon a gypsy put a curse on anything to do with us regarding that stadium

Certain areas of Semple Stadium are scruvy as **** but the atmosphere can be electric on certain championship games

It was definitely not the right choice for your "home" matches a few years back.

Its not too big for half the games. Its too big for 98% of the games played there. A complete and utter waste of money which should have been spent on clubs and players. Multiply it by 25 and thats alot of money pished away around the country just to massage a few egos.

Did Wexford Park update there scoreboard and actually put a clock on it ?

Remember going to a few league games and it been a nightmare trying to follow the time

• Advertisement

Its not too big for half the games. Its too big for 98% of the games played there. A complete and utter waste of money which should have been spent on clubs and players. Multiply it by 25 and thats alot of money pished away around the country just to massage a few egos.

Multiply by 25. Why the hell would you do that its a terrible idea. I never said whats good for Limerick is good for every county. I think counties should be looking at the likes of Nowlan Park which is a nice well thought out smaller ground built for all weather.

But I also think Limerick, Cork and Galway should rightly aim for better and should all definitely have stadia fit to host the big marquee games in the cities where people can enjoy a big day/night out or even weekend same as a trip to Croke Park. Those big days out are why the GAA has so many clubs and players to look after

Multiply by 25. Why the hell would you do that its a terrible idea. I never said whats good for Limerick is good for every county. I think counties should be looking at the likes of Nowlan Park which is a nice well thought out smaller ground built for all weather.

But I also think Limerick, Cork and Galway should rightly aim for better and should all definitely have stadia fit to host the big marquee games in the cities where people can enjoy a big day/night out or even weekend same as a trip to Croke Park. Those big days out are why the GAA has so many clubs and players to look after

Yes it is a terrible idea but its whats already been done and what continues to be done. Castlebar, Cavan, PUC, Killarney, the plans for Ennis, plans for Westmeath, plans for Casement, the list goes on and on. Even when they upgrade and redevelop they only seem to want to go bigger

Yes it is a terrible idea but its whats already been done and what continues to be done. Castlebar, Cavan, PUC, Killarney, the plans for Ennis, plans for Westmeath, plans for Casement, the list goes on and on. Even when they upgrade and redevelop they only seem to want to go bigger

I'm glad the plans for Ennis didn't go ahead. The 42k capacity was to be able to host games in the old knockout championship which isn't an issue now and the current plan of refurbishing Cusack is a better idea I think.

Westmeath have also abandoned plans for a new stadium and instead have opted for redevelopment.

A lot of stadiums have had terrace capacity slashed a few times over the last few years by H&S people so capacity increases would actually be taking stadiums back to original levels

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭cson

They should be focusing on the fan experience and making a day/weekend out of Championship games, rather than how many lads can we cram into a terrace and cars thrown up any which way on the road for a miles in every direction out of town.

No doubt I'll attract a few sneers with this comment, but they do a great job in the US at making the GAA games a day out. That's probably as much to do with the culture/tailgating thing as anything, but it definitely adds a lot to the experience imo.

cson wrote: »
    They should be focusing on the fan experience and making a day/weekend out of Championship games, rather than how many lads can we cram into a terrace and cars thrown up any which way on the road for a miles in every direction out of town.

No doubt I'll attract a few sneers with this comment, but they do a great job in the US at making the GAA games a day out. That's probably as much to do with the culture/tailgating thing as anything, but it definitely adds a lot to the experience imo.

Ide rather see park and ride over massive US car parks round a stadium. Hurling doesn't need a "fan experience" like all them boring US sports the game is the best fan experience you can get in a stadium.

Ide also rather the money go to the local town that all sitting round atin sandwiches from the boot or in some stadium bar like in soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ide rather see park and ride over massive US car works round a stadium. Hurling doesn't need a "fan experience" like all them boring US sports the game is the best fan experience you can get in a stadium.

Ide also rather the money go to the local town that all sitting round atin sandwiches from the boot or in some stadium bar like in soccer

What US sports are you saying are boring?
    money will still go to the local town but there is people inside the stadiums for 3/4 hours for games so you certainly do need to improve the services on offer within them for that timeframe
    And many of those eating sandwiches from boot arent spending money in the local town.. theyre bringing the sandwiches etc so they dont so not sure what point is there?

What US sports are you saying are boring?
    money will still go to the local town but there is people inside the stadiums for 3/4 hours for games so you certainly do need to improve the services on offer within them for that timeframe
    And many of those eating sandwiches from boot arent spending money in the local town.. theyre bringing the sandwiches etc so they dont so not sure what point is there?

Baseball and American Football the only 2 US sports I know of. Baseball looks grand in a highlights package but the Yanks drag out everything with endless breaks and timeouts.

I'm all for better facilities inside the stadium but I was replying to the tailgating thing which is all about outside the stadium eating and drinking stuff you brought with you rather than a pint and bag of chips from the local area so that was my point there

The Walsh Park redevelopment in Waterford is going for the 'Family friendly' approach

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/19/walsh-park-works-set-to-start-in-2022/

By christ does the place need it and prob one of the worst grounds out of the Division 1 hurling couinties. Parnell Park in Dublin is also a bit of a ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Walsh Park redevelopment in Waterford is going for the 'Family friendly' approach

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/19/walsh-park-works-set-to-start-in-2022/

That link was posted here previously and I said at the time that GAA stadiums should be providing some public space outside to host something before/after matches. Couple of food vendors, GAA based games + face painting for kids, bit of live music maybe. I assume that is what is meant above by adding a bit of an experience, not tailgating.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    That link was posted here previously and I said at the time that GAA stadiums should be providing some public space outside to host something before/after matches. Couple of food vendors, GAA based games + face painting for kids, bit of live music maybe. I assume that is what is meant above by adding a bit of an experience, not tailgating.

A little marketplace for the programme sellers and the "hats scarves headbands" lads would be nice along with some food and coffee

Advertisement