Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda on the broadband?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

what options are available to business broadband users in Drogheda?
    The speeds are aboslutely attrocious for any of the business packages that only work through a phoneline.
    I was gonna start a new thread on this but I thought, I'd partially hijack this one instead! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

All it requires is space in the ducting to the roadside cabinets from the exchange, electricity supply, and 100 or 200 served lines in the vicinity.
    Is going all the way with a hard-line not a bit pre historic these days? I ask because I am currently with Irishbroadband (now Imagine) and I have 3mb Breeze (3mb up and down) for €49/m. No phone line needed, just a small box on the roof. I would think it's a much cheaper way to provide broadband to a region than digging up roads? Though a line of sight is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I used to have the digiweb metro in glenmore drive, thats behind hanrattys pub.
    The antenna used for metro is on top of the hospital, so the closer you are to that the better. I had great speeds, but most of the south side of town cant get it.
    If you live near the hospital, go metro, its cheap and no line rental.

Installation will cost you about 70 bucks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Scotty # wrote: »
    Is going all the way with a hard-line not a bit pre historic these days? I ask because I am currently with Irishbroadband (now Imagine) and I have 3mb Breeze (3mb up and down) for €49/m. No phone line needed, just a small box on the roof. I would think it's a much cheaper way to provide broadband to a region than digging up roads? Though a line of sight is needed.
    International experience and looking at the likes of UPC in Irelandsuggests the opposite. It's far cheaper to build a cable network with 100 Mb speeds than develop a wireless service throughout dublin (for example) which could serve all possible customers with 100 mb speeds simultaneously.

Wireless service is fine in smaller villages or generally rural areas where the needed capacity isn't so high and the amount of road to be dug is comparatively much higher per house served. Also, fibre optic cabling has ever-increasing capacity while wireless has a finite amount of space for broadcasting, in competition with mobile phone use, TV and Radio, Wifi, Military, RADAR etc.

I don't think you can get breeze anymore, just their wimax stuff which doesn't work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Anyone had any experience in Aston Village? Looking at three mifi as don't really want phone
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

kormak wrote: »
    what options are available to business broadband users in Drogheda?
    The speeds are aboslutely attrocious for any of the business packages that only work through a phoneline.
    I was gonna start a new thread on this but I thought, I'd partially hijack this one instead! :)

I swapped from Eircom DSL to the Digiweb Metro Plus (wireless, little box on the roof) two months ago.

1846442413.png

I just gave up on Eircom, max speed is crap unless you sit right on top of the exchange.

As for Digiweb.. Speeds are great & pings are low. Had very little downtime at all.
    However the low Cap (and yes I do consider 120GB low) and how they enforce it does suck eggs.
    If you go over cap at all, speed drops to ISDN speeds or lower for an extended period of time.

+ Even though they state on their website (and in emails) that you can buy a 20GB addon, they are basically lying.. At least for Metro+ the max I could get was a 10GB addon.

(fingers crossed Eircom soon goes bust and somebody with real money takes over and finally get fiber into the ground here)

And on another note. The drogheda basestation has not be upgraded to 30MB yet.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056570507

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strandlope

Thanks Soerenlp. I am going Digiweb, as the max speed Eircom could promise me in Ballymakenny for a residential fixed line was 2 mb/s up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Is Digiweb still the best bet for Drogheda?

I'm moving up this month from Dublin and trying to ease the loss of my UPC connection. It will be around the Cord Road so hoping it will have line of signt to the Digiweb mast.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Is Digiweb still the best bet for Drogheda?

I'm moving up this month from Dublin and trying to ease the loss of my UPC connection. It will be around the Cord Road so hoping it will have line of signt to the Digiweb mast.

Id say metro would be the best. Im with digiweb dsl and have a 350gb traffic limit, so if you want a high DL limit id see about that. Although it could have just been a special offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

I am living in the Brookville area.Signed with vodafone for 8mb download speed getting on average 6.8 mb. My line is capable of 12.mb download but a more expensive package. The package I am on is line rental free local and international calls plus a 300gb download limit for 49 euro a month

Hi SachaJ,

I am on the Digiweb Metro package and have had uninterrupted service for 3 months (apart from one evening when there was a very bad storm.
    I usually get between 1mb/s and 6mb/s DOWN; 0.5mb/s - .90mb/s UP; a ping of between 30 and 100... depending on the time of day.

I use www.speedtest.net to measure.

If you have clear line of sight to Lourdes hospital roof, I think Digiweb are a good choice.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Drogheda is going to get a full fibre roll out. Certainly in my neck of the woods (NorthEast part of town.) Eircom are currently laying fibre to the cabinet (not to homes though.)

The Eircom engineer I stopped to talk to told me it would be around Sept when it was all up and running and the cabinets were upgraded which they do last. Then in his words we would have 'hyper fast speeds' which presumably means faster than 2mb. Although I am optomistic it will be at least in the 24 range or even greater.

Could be worth waiting a bit and seeing what offers and deals appear as no doubt all of the major suppliers will be hitting hard with sales teams once it's up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

Lantus wrote: »
    Drogheda is going to get a full fibre roll out. Certainly in my neck of the woods (NorthEast part of town.) Eircom are currently laying fibre to the cabinet (not to homes though.)

The Eircom engineer I stopped to talk to told me it would be around Sept when it was all up and running and the cabinets were upgraded which they do last. Then in his words we would have 'hyper fast speeds' which presumably means faster than 2mb. Although I am optomistic it will be at least in the 24 range or even greater.

Could be worth waiting a bit and seeing what offers and deals appear as no doubt all of the major suppliers will be hitting hard with sales teams once it's up and running.

not entirely correct.

most of Drogheda will be FTTC with a very tiny percentage FTTH .

when eircom launch this service they have to make it available to all providers, eg vodafone, and other DSL resellers at the same time.

speed all hinges around distance from the cabinet with FTTC, so possibly the average user might see 10-15 mb, which is not great considering its 2012, and speeds like that are behind other EU countries, again depends on distance to cabinet.

i seriously doubt that it will be all up and running by september ready for customers to use it.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I was just talking to Eircom and the chap there went off and found out that my area (Five Oaks/Dublin Road) would be operational from the end of September but wouldn't know if it was FTTC or FTTH until it was on their system. Of course the 99.99999% probability is that it'll be FTTC. Anything would be better than the paltry 1.2mbit connection we have now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Right, moved up to Drogheda at the weekend so need to get Broadband sorted.

Currently I using an O2 and I'm pretty impressed with it: 8MB down and 1.6MB up but only have a cap of 5GB (on Prepay) or 15GB (on Bill pay).

Am I correct in thinking that Broadband over the phone line is is the same between companies speed wise and probably the only difference is the download limits? Eircom use the phrase "unlimited" for €55 but I'm always wary of that term. Also do Eircom block the likes of Piratebay and downloading torrents etc?

Any preferences for a fixed line provider? I'm around the Cord Road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

not entirely correct.

most of Drogheda will be FTTC with a very tiny percentage FTTH .

when eircom launch this service they have to make it available to all providers, eg vodafone, and other DSL resellers at the same time.

speed all hinges around distance from the cabinet with FTTC, so possibly the average user might see 10-15 mb, which is not great considering its 2012, and speeds like that are behind other EU countries, again depends on distance to cabinet.

i seriously doubt that it will be all up and running by september ready for customers to use it.

I did state it was to the cabinet and NOT the home. Even 10 to 15 is pretty good and way above most parts of Ireland. Most people have little need of anything above 5 to 8 to watch movies or 'surf'.

I agree though. We should be aiming to provide 200+ as a baseline and ideally better.

Just an update on Digiweb in Drogheda (Metro).
    The Drogheda basestation has not be upgraded to 30MB yet and they have no idea about when or even if it will be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

Yes Eircom do block Pirate Bay. I think they have been blocking this for more than a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

vulmac wrote: »
    Yes Eircom do block Pirate Bay. I think they have been blocking this for more than a year.

And yet it's made no difference to people who use torrents :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looks like Grange Rath is finally getting Fiber Optic Broadband :D Eircom have been at work all over the estate all week and Dad was talking to one of the engineers who said that was what they were working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

I don't know what to say to that ^^^^ . Are you from the future? Do you by any chance remember this weeks Euro million numbers?

Has to be.. And with the speed things are going here, I would say its around 200 years in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CheesePlease

Any chance that fibre is going to reach all the way out to Termonfeckin? :)

2463353648.png

Digiweb finally has 30MB running here in Drogheda now..
    This is the Business Metro Express 30MB Package.

Cap is 200GB, not sure about other packages.

Where in drogheda would be getting them speeds?

Its pure internet poverty up here on the Dublin road.

Soerenlp wrote: »
    Just an update on Digiweb in Drogheda (Metro).
    The Drogheda basestation has not be upgraded to 30MB yet and they have no idea about when or even if it will be upgraded.

Hi Soerenlp, is this on a wireless link? I have Digiweb Metro Bband (wireless antenna on my roof pointing to Lourdes hospital) and speeds are ok (4-6 down) during the day but they get pretty slow at night.

Please could you post a link to the site where you found it?

Thanks!

Millmount. And works perfect..

Using the business version of Metro (http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/).
    Wireless so not using crappy telefon lines.

Thanks Soerenlp, I will definitely look into the business version of Metro.

For the rest of the thread, here are my recent speeds using the Digiweb Metro Home Wireless package in the Drogheda area.

Usable, and reliable except in the worst wind/rain/fog. Would be great to have better, especially for VPN, working from home :)

238171.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

LFCFan wrote: »
    I was just talking to Eircom and the chap there went off and found out that my area (Five Oaks/Dublin Road) would be operational from the end of September but wouldn't know if it was FTTC or FTTH until it was on their system. Of course the 99.99999% probability is that it'll be FTTC. Anything would be better than the paltry 1.2mbit connection we have now anyway!

Did he mention which September?

According to the eircom wholesale page Deepforde and Grange Rath are scheduled for DEC 2014

Advertisement