Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda on the broadband?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I was getting all excited there for a moment...

Saw this ad on Digiwebs website and thought Yipee!!! 18mbs from only €39.95 a month. Where do I sign up...??

digiv.png

but alas after clicking the order now button....

digiweb2.png

Very very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

€130 a month for 50GB at 18Mbps?
    "Ok Mr. Customer we'll just take your money right there, here's your usage allowence, AND IT'S GONE!!! I'm sorry sir this connection is for people with usage left on their account only thank you for choosing Digiweb."

I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of speeds were possible on the South side of the river. Mary st/The Dale kind of area. I'm currently on a 24 Mbps connection with Magnet and where I am now I get about 13 Mbps. Is there much drop off when you cross the river or is it relatively the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

robvondoom wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of speeds were possible on the South side of the river. Mary st/The Dale kind of area. I'm currently on a 24 Mbps connection with Magnet and where I am now I get about 13 Mbps. Is there much drop off when you cross the river or is it relatively the same?

I've 15 Mbps on South Quay. I think it's the same in Scotch Hall apartments too. With Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mixmaxo

Scotty # wrote: »
    I was getting all excited there for a moment...

Saw this ad on Digiwebs website and thought Yipee!!! 18mbs from only €39.95 a month. Where do I sign up...??

digiv.png

but alas after clicking the order now button....

digiweb2.png

Very very misleading.

I literally laughed out loud at this ridiculous pricing. Extortion really is popular in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I don't suppose anyone knows what cabinet Five Oaks is on or if it has it's own, where the hell is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Anyone heard anything further about the roll-out of Eircom fibre? I'm going to be 500m away from the cabinet on the North Rd so hopefully looking forward to gettin decent speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

Well Vodafone was doing the rounds in my estate yesterday trying to sign people up for it in advance. So I would say it will be on the timeframe discussed elsewhere on the boards.. 20th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭positron

Anyone heard anything further about the roll-out of Eircom fibre? I'm going to be 500m away from the cabinet on the North Rd so hopefully looking forward to gettin decent speeds!

I was told on the other thread that you need specific hardware to benefit from FTTC. If you are with Eircom, they will upgrade you for free based on what I heard on radio the other day. I wonder if Sky would follow suite.

Soerenlp, can you tell us some details of what Vodafone is offering door-to-door - are they offering higher speeds / FTTC product?

Very little details to be honest. But he did say speeds between 50Mbs-70Mbs.. And yes this is the FTTC everybody is talking about.
    There was some talk of a signup fee of €120 or €150. Cant remember sorry.
    What I did not like was that he said "Do you want a modem or do you already have one.. Sure you can just buy one in town when you need it.".. After that I showed him the door.

No new subscribers will have the required hardware, so a bit too much "quick sale and get out of here in case they cop on to the costs involved".
    Personally I am going to wait and see what is on offer when it actually launches and from who.

• Advertisement

I did read something about it in this weeks Leader alright. They said 100 megabyte will soon be here. I'm certain they meant megabit. :rolleyes: Eircom are starting the upgrades very soon. Won't be holding my breath though. I think they put out these stories to get people not to switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭lamoss

I got a phonecall from Eircom today informing me that e-fibre upgrade works will be coming to Millmount abbey area from the 12 July.
    They will be sending out engineers from that date to update your existing line and change it over into the new fibre enabled cabinet. They will also have to come into your house to change over the existing master eircom socket to a new compatible broadband enabled socket. They also have to change your existing modem to a uprated one to handle the new higher broadband speeds.

lamoss wrote: »
    I got a phonecall from Eircom today informing me that e-fibre upgrade works will be coming to Millmount abbey area from the 12 July.
    They will be sending out engineers from that date to update your existing line and change it over into the new fibre enabled cabinet. They will also have to come into your house to change over the existing master eircom socket to a new compatible broadband enabled socket. They also have to change your existing modem to a uprated one to handle the new higher broadband speeds.

Thanks for the update. Means I can get it as well then. Happy days, cause digiweb has really turned into dodgyweb over the last month.

Signed up to Vodafone today 70Mb for €35URL="http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/"]INFO[/URL Internet only. I'm coming from Irishbroadband 3Mb for €50.

Should be in in next fortnight. I'll let you know how I get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Has anybody got eFibre in the North Rd area? What sort of speeds are you getting?

Anyone else on Magnet's Fatpipe 70 having speeds like these the last few days/weeks?
    Even the Magnet speedtest was only registering at around 8 to 10Mb at best.
    With the constant wireless signal drops and ridiculous throttling nonsense I'm pretty much ready to give them the boot.

3152819553.png

How's Vodaphone's broadband? I'm in the town centre.

Anyone else on Magnet's Fatpipe 70 having speeds like these the last few days/weeks?
    With the constant wireless signal drops and ridiculous throttling nonsense I'm pretty much ready to give them the boot.

3152819553.png

Yeps. Same crap here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

3152819553.png

Vodafone BB is grand here just off the Cord Road

3152918535.png

3152819553.png

Emailed magnet last night in relation to this and got a call this morning (Have to say not bad support).
    Was told they are having issues on the whole network and that it will probably be January before the issue is sorted.

Soerenlp wrote: »
    Emailed magnet last night in relation to this and got a call this morning (Have to say not bad support).
    Was told they are having issues on the whole network and that it will probably be January before the issue is sorted.

I got the same story from customer service about 3 days ago. I ended up talking to the manager there and again I was told that due to a network freeze the problem would not be taken care of until January. During this conversation I was assured that my line was not being throttled and that they no longer had any traffic management policy in place.

So the following day I was checking my speed again and noticed that I was getting the same limited to 5Mb speed I had become used to on speedtest, but the Magnet test was showing normal service. I rang technical services and related my story to one of the chaps there. Basically told him the reason I was ringing was to query why the two tests were registering differently and in a way that suggested my line was being throttled. He said he'd look into it and have someone get back to me. Got a missed call from them later that evening with a message saying the issue would be solved within two days which I, at the time, believed to be wishful thinking. But then, lo and behold, just yesterday evening I noticed my service had returned to normal. Just did a few tests there and it's maintaining a low ping with around 50 to 60Mb d/l and has actually upped the average upload speed from around 12Mb to 19Mb.

Fingers crossed now it stays that way.

• Advertisement

Yeps. I am back to normal as well (Well VOIP is not working for some reason, network seems to be blocking it).
    Want to see how it handles the weekend though before I make up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just moved from Sky ADSL to Vodafone Fibre.
    Was getting 3.5mb down and 0.5mb up.
    Now getting 42mb down and 18mb up! :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I get 0.5mb on the cord road in Monasterboice. It sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rossin wrote: »
    I get 0.5mb on the cord road in Monasterboice. It sucks.
    There's no cord road in Monasterboice???

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

ha sorry the cockle road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anybody on the Cord Rd (east end), Greenhills Villas, Bredin Street have the Fibre?

I've just moved from one end of the Cord road to the other (measures 800m on Google maps) and my broadband has gone from 67MB to 3.5MB. Did a line check on my number and it's saying I'm good for "up to 24MB". Surely most of the town is fibre enabled?

Might have to get an engineer out to take a look. Would really help if I knew someone in the very local area had it so I can pass that onto Vodafone.

Advertisement