Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 'What's On Your CAO?' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 J.E. Cairnes

ninty9er wrote: »
    Declaration of interest: I'm Students' Union President at UL and I'm just wondering why most of you aren't interested? Is there something in particular?

We have the cheapest accommodation, the only teaching courtroom in the country, the only EPAS accredited Business course and a wide range of teaching and nursing courses. The campus is pretty much self contained and one huge 330 acre community.
    Actually its not true re EPAS. NUI Galway's Business Information Systems is also EPAS accredited and in fact is accredited for 5 years the maximum accreditation possible. It is one of only 8 undergraduate programmes in the world to achieved this status
    http://www.efmd.org/accreditation-main/epas/epas-accredited-programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. CK102 Social Science (UCC)
    2. CK111 Early Childhood Studies (UCC)

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. CR620 Early Childhood Care and Education (CIT)
    2. CR031 Social Care (CIT)

Erm..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. CK102 Social Science (UCC)
    2. CK111 Early Childhood Studies (UCC)

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. CR620 Early Childhood Care and Education (CIT)
    2. CR031 Social Care (CIT)

Erm..:P

Would you think about putting these same courses in different colleges? You're obviously from cork :P Would you consider moving ?

happyfish wrote: »
    Would you think about putting these same courses in different colleges? You're obviously from cork :P Would you consider moving ?

No way I could. I'm either staying home or moving to the city with a friend, but even that's unlikely. I'd love to leave Cork though!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

No way I could. I'm either staying home or moving to the city with a friend, but even that's unlikely. I'd love to leave Cork though!

Oh I totally understand , I only had level 8 courses in Dublin on my CAO last year and I was so lucky that I got my first choice in Dublin. I just know that I could easily have been stuck doing a course that wasn't my dream course just because I was too afraid of going somewhere unfamiliar ! Not to mention I could have saved myself all the pre offers panic :o You'll more than likely be fine too though, especially because all your courses seem quite similar:D

• Advertisement

happyfish wrote: »
    Oh I totally understand , I only had level 8 courses in Dublin on my CAO last year and I was so lucky that I got my first choice in Dublin. I just know that I could easily have been stuck doing a course that wasn't my dream course just because I was too afraid of going somewhere unfamiliar ! Not to mention I could have saved myself all the pre offers panic :o You'll more than likely be fine too though, especially because all your courses seem quite similar:D

Those two are really the only ones I'm interested in and the points have never been too bad (around 350-400 every year), so I think I'll be fine. It'll be tough picking between my two number ones though, if I get offered both. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

i finally filled it out, eek :P

1. CK701 Medicine
    2. GY501 Medicine
    3. CK702 Dentistry
    4. TR052 Dental Science
    5. TR055 Radiation Therapy
    6. CK703 Pharmacy
    7. TR075 Medicinal Chemistry
    8. DN200 Science
    9. GY303 Biomedical Science
    10. CR320 Biomedical Science - Joint CIT and UCC programme

I'm still confused, but it's a relief to have something down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Finally filled mine out...Bit different to what I posted on this before :P If I dont get my number 1, its very likely that I won't get my number 2 or 3 the way the points are. But I'd be just as happy getting say my number 9 as I would by number 4 :)

1. TR054 Occupational Therapy
    2. GY502 Occupational Therapy
    3. DN440 Biomedical Health and Life Sciences
    4. DN200 Science - Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences
    5. MH212 Science Education
    6. DN250 Agricultural Science - Animal Science
    7. TR071 Science
    8. DN261 Food Science
    9. GY301 Science
    10. DN450 General Nursing

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

anyone know anything about the new international business course in ul?? can't seem to find much information on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

littlemis wrote: »
    anyone know anything about the new international business course in ul?? can't seem to find much information on it..

Indeed! I requested some info from UL about it, if you want I can email the brochure to you? Pm me your email and I'll send it if you like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Ally7 wrote: »
    i finally filled it out, eek :P

1. CK701 Medicine
    2. GY501 Medicine
    3. CK702 Dentistry
    4. TR052 Dental Science
    5. TR055 Radiation Therapy
    6. CK703 Pharmacy
    7. TR075 Medicinal Chemistry
    8. DN200 Science
    9. GY303 Biomedical Science
    10. CR320 Biomedical Science - Joint CIT and UCC programme

I'm still confused, but it's a relief to have something down anyway.

Would you consider putting the other med courses on your list?

If you really want med, it'd be a shame to leave out three of the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Would you consider putting the other med courses on your list?

If you really want med, it'd be a shame to leave out three of the options.
    Tbf there's an almost negligible chance a Dublin med university is gonna have lower points than Galway or Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

I have my Level 7 + 6 choices ordered which I did at 12.30 last night!
    They are in order

1. Culinary Arts - CIT
    2. Culinary Arts - WIT
    3. Baking and Pastry Arts MAnagement - DIT
    4. Health and Nutrition for Culinary Arts - DIT
    5. Computing - CIT
    6. Food Science and Management - DIT
    7. Science - CIT
    8. Social Care - CIT
    9. Food Science and Business - WIT

As for my level 8 choices.....
    I have them selected but I have no idea of the order!
    I would live to do them all!

They are looking like this - NOT IN ORDER!!

1. Food Marketing and Entrepreneurship - UCC
    2. Arts - (History, Irish, French and another subject) - UCC
    3. Home Ec + Irish - Sligo
    4. Home Ec + Biology -Sligo
    5. Primary Teaching - Mary I
    6. Applied Languages - UL
    7. Food Science - UCC
    8. Religion and Irish - Matter Dei
    9. Computer Science - UCC
    10. Children's Nursing - UCC

If anybody has any info on these course, PM me please!!!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

I know what I want to do just don't know where to go! I'm mad into computers so I know for definite that that's what area I would like to go in. I'd be more on the software/games development side. Anyone here doing a computer course next year?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

chomps_x wrote: »
    I know what I want to do just don't know where to go! I'm mad into computers so I know for definite that that's what area I would like to go in. I'd be more on the software/games development side. Anyone here doing a computer course next year?

You should check out Ballyfermot College of Further Education, they have two video games based courses. http://www.bcfe.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

jumpguy wrote: »
    Tbf there's an almost negligible chance a Dublin med university is gonna have lower points than Galway or Cork...

2011: UCD 735, UCC 733*, RCSI 732.

2010: UCD 725, UCC 725, RCSI 721.

2009: UCD 719, UCC 715, RCSI 715*.

RCSI has always been lower and UCD isn't too much higher! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭checkcheek

cao has to be done by the end of the month, and i really dont have a clue, at one point i taught i wanted something and i was dead set on it, but now i really dont know what to do

checkcheek wrote: »
    cao has to be done by the end of the month, and i really dont have a clue, at one point i taught i wanted something and i was dead set on it, but now i really dont know what to do

No it doesn't. :) Just apply now for the reduced rate, and you have until July to apply for most courses that aren't restricted entry. You have to apply for restricted entry courses by Feb 1st, they're usually courses that require another entry requirement, eg an interview, music test, or HPAT!

Twee. wrote: »
    You should check out Ballyfermot College of Further Education, they have two video games based courses. http://www.bcfe.ie

Do not take me up wrong on this because I don't mean to sound snotty at all, but I was hoping to get into a level 8 course. Didn't state that in my comment haha sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

2011: UCD 735, UCC 733*, RCSI 732.

2010: UCD 725, UCC 725, RCSI 721.

2009: UCD 719, UCC 715, RCSI 715*.

RCSI has always been lower and UCD isn't too much higher! ;)
    Opps, that's right, I meant just Galway! >.<

/hands head in shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Caoi!

littlemis wrote: »

Hi Littlemis!

There's lots of info regarding international business at University of Limerick under the different tabs at this link http://www3.ul.ie/courses/InternationalBusiness.php so have a look! Is there something in particular you'd like to know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

chomps_x wrote: »
    Do not take me up wrong on this because I don't mean to sound snotty at all, but I was hoping to get into a level 8 course. Didn't state that in my comment haha sorry :P

Not at all. But I would urge you to at least check it out, just to see. BCFE has a great success rate and has really specific courses that lead to university courses. My mate did this course and is now working in a small games development company in the UK.

Anyway, don't write it off because of the level. What matters is the path that's going to educate you to do what you want :)

They say Ireland will be the games development capital of Europe, so best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I actually forgot to put med in RCSI down :o But yeah, I'm not bothering with medicine in trinity or UCD because they're higher than the rest, plus i much preferred Cork and Galway! I wasn't impressed with the medicine course in Trinity really.

Another reason why I really want Cork is that you can swap into a science degree after year 3 if the course isn't suiting you, which is a big plus for me seeing as I'm so unsure if it's really what I want to do.

Twee. wrote: »
    Not at all. But I would urge you to at least check it out, just to see. BCFE has a great success rate and has really specific courses that lead to university courses. My mate did this course and is now working in a small games development company in the UK.

Anyway, don't write it off because of the level. What matters is the path that's going to educate you to do what you want :)

They say Ireland will be the games development capital of Europe, so best of luck!

Yeah I have it on my CAO so far anyways, but it's just a bit of an nuisance to get to considering I'm living in Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath :P Athlone or Maynooth are top of the list as of yet. Thanks for the input though, really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Could anybody tell me if the Language Education course is still in UL?

It says it is still there on the website, but when I looked in the CAO handbook or the UL book, there is no sign of it... Its code is LM098

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

It says it is still there on the website, but when I looked in the CAO handbook or the UL book, there is no sign of it... Its code is LM098

Here's the alert list for UL:
    http://www2.cao.ie/AlertLists/LM_alert.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I have nothing on my CAO because I've no idea what I want to do :(

It's cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Whats on my CAO:

Nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inspiron74

Medicine!
    1. UCC,
    2. Trinity,
    3/4. UCD/NUIG (order??)
    5. RCSI :)

I'm doing dentistry in UCC at the moment and hoping to get into med next year after failing this time (HPAT, you cruel beast! :(), so that's all I have down!

Eh... Yeah if anyone wants to know anything about dentistry just ask, it's no problem! :):)

Was just wondering whats the course like is it difficult (how many hours a week is it)...?? And do you need Chemistry to get in unfortunately I don't have Chemistry it's also keeping me from applying for Vet Med was raging when I found out... :o Also whats Cork like I'm from the Mid-lands and if I was applying there I'd know absolutely no one...

Advertisement