Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 'What's On Your CAO?' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

M&S* wrote: »
    If you mean higher in points that has no relevance, CAO goes in preference not going for the course that has higher points. That'd be silly.

I know that, but I would have thought computational thinking was a better course, with more job opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedice

Togepi wrote: »
    It's extremely difficult to know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life at the age of sixteen, seventeen or eighteen. Some people also love two completely different areas of study. My first and second choices could not be more different, but I'd be delighted with either one. I'd find it very strange if someone was only interested in one specific area of study. I'd find a huge range of courses interesting.

And I've spent three years researching courses. I'm still not 100% sure about my first choice.

Fair point. I'll admit that I'm more than likely wrong on this matter. I was ignorant in my comments. Best of luck in the results.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I know that, but I would have thought computational thinking was a better course, with more job opportunities.

Probably so, but I gave UCD the edge as it is already rated as a good course and the college itself is very good and has many societies and facilities. And comp thinking in NUIM is a new course, hence it has not yet been proven that it will provide more jobs opportunities. Nobody really knows how good this course may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Arts. It's the only thing I want to do and the only course on my cao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

thedice wrote: »
    Why dont they have a definite idea? you have more than a enough time. Because I have spoken to so many people who are not happy with their area of work and wanted to do a course further down the list. Why put a course down as no.1 and have a totally unrelated field of work, which they have the same interest in, as no.4? Heres an idea, actually spend a considerable amount of time researching your cao choices and be sure on what area you want to go into. Ask questions, speak to people, go to companies etc.....
    More than enough time? We're 17/18 years old filling out the CAO, not everyone at that age is so certain of the career path they want to follow for the rest of their lives. Again, not that difficult to understand but you clearly haven't taken my point into consideration at all, so meh.
    but if you'd rather leave you're career path to blind luck, be my guest.
    What are you even talking about with this, having different courses on your CAO doesn't mean you're leaving your career path to "blind luck".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

1. GY501 Medicine (Galway)
    2. RC001 Medicine (Royal College of Surgeons)
    3. DN400 Medicine (UCD)
    4. TR051 Medicine (Trinity)
    5. CK701 Medicine (Cork)
    6. TR072 Pharmacy (Tinity)
    7. RC005 Pharmacy (Trinity)
    8. DC162 Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences (DCU)
    9. TR075 Medicinal Chemistry (Trinity)
    10. GY301 Science (Galway)

Think I am sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Hmmmm! Desperately trying to decide whether to put Pharmacy in TCD or Actuarial & Financial Studies in UCD as my first choice... My interest in Chemistry and Maths are pretty much even in regards to the Leaving Cert, however I've never done any Business related subject. Pharmacy is in Trinners but career prospects... AGHHH

Why did I leave this to the last day so many pros and cons... Help

ivanh wrote: »
    1. GY501 Medicine (Galway)
    2. RC001 Medicine (Royal College of Surgeons)
    3. DN400 Medicine (DCU)
    4. TR051 Medicine (Trinity)
    5. CK701 Medicine (Cork)
    6. TR072 Pharmacy (Tinity)
    7. RC005 Pharmacy (Trinity)
    8. DC162 Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences (DCU)
    9. TR075 Medicinal Chemistry (Trinity)
    10. GY301 Science (Galway)

DCU do medicine..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah, DN is UCD :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

are many applying for arts in ucd,maynooth or galway? :P

• Advertisement

I'm currently a first year student Pharmacist in TCD. I don't know much about how RCSI and UCC handle things but as far as i'm concerned the course is pretty good.

TCD itself is a great University. The facilities are modern, the campus has a certain charm to it and the lecturers are by and large brilliant.

As for the course content, there's very little there that you could call "not updated" or irrelevant to the course.

In first year you do

Biochemistry - Taken with JF Medicine. You cover protein structure and function, enzymology, membranes and transporters, carbohydrate metabolism, cell division and the cell cycle and bioenergetics. All with a focus on the chemistry of what's going on and with a focus on the clinical relevance of everything involved. A pretty difficult module but thankfully there's a proteomics project worth 25%. The other 75% is examined in a end of year exam.

Cellular & Molecular Biology
    - Taken with JF Science. A fairly broad module with a lot of content. It's more or less LC Biology in quite a bit more detail. Not that difficult though. In the lectures, you cover the cell and the molecular/chemical basis of life, genetics, embryology and microbiology. In the practicals, you learn about experimental error, how to use a spectrophotometer, protein purification/separation and analysis and microscopy. There are no lab reports required but there is a practical multiple choice question exam worth 22% and two in-term practical assessments worth 11%. The other 67% is examined in May where you write two 3-4 page essays and answer short questions.

Physiology
    - Taken with JF Radiation Therapy. You cover all the different systems of the human body and how they interact with each other. Quite an interesting and detailed module but the exam is notoriously difficult. You do an online multiple choice test (Nowhere near as easy as it sounds) at the end of every system worth 10% overall and the other 90% is examined in May.

Sources & Characteristics of substances used in medicinal products
    - A very interesting module. You cover some basics of organic chemistry like stereochemistry as well as many other topics such as the reaction mechanisms of relatively simple drugs like Aspirin or Acetaminophen. At the end of the module you're given a brief taster of what's in store in later years with a lecture on Paracetamol toxicity and treatment. The practicals almost directly relate to what's covered in the lectures and are almost all related to synthesis and purification. It's examined with 15% going on your lab reports, 5% on a fairly tough practical MCQ test, 10% on a (Minimum 15 page) report on a particular drug and the other 70% in the final exam.

Physical Pharmacy
    - The physics of Pharmacy if you will. You start with learning about different physical phases, solubility (More complicated than you'd imagine and very useful for later practicals), stability of systems (Chemical kinetics essentially), thermodynamics, ionisation and partitioning, drug absorption and distribution, interfaces and surfaces (What happens at the boundary between a drug particle and a liquid e.t.c.), adsorption and surface films and surfactants. The practicals are very simple to carry out but very challenging when it comes to the lab reports. It is examined through 15% lab reports and 85% final exam.

Discovery, Separation & Isolation of substances used in medicinal products
    - I only started this module last week so I'll have to rely on what i've been told to expect. We'll cover Pharmaceutical analysis, spectroscopy (IR/UV Spectroscopy in particular) and all the different types of chromatography for Unit A. For Unit B, we cover drug discovery, introduction to pharmacognosy, classification of drugs, pharmacophores and receptor interactions, structure/activity relationships, inorganic medicinal compounds, transition and heavy metals in medicines and organisms. The practicals look interesting, they're mostly assays of drugs like aspirin or boric acid eye lotion with introductory practicals on the different types of chromatography. The exam looks like it involve chromatographic analysis of an alkaloid drug (Alkaloids are drugs like caffeine, morphine, cocaine, nicotine...). Examined with 10% lab reports, 10% lab exam and 80% written exam.

Pharmaceutics
    - Quite an important module. The lectures and practicals all relate to compounding and making formulations such as solutions, suspensions, capsules, linctuses e.t.c. The lectures really only serve as a guide to the practical classes which are really the main focus of this module. You cover different dosage forms such as solutions, suspensions, capsules and so on in the lectures and you then prepare them in the practicals. The practical exam in this module has "Historically had a fail rate of around 50%" according to our lecturer. This is one of the modules that you can't compensate for and need to pass to move on to 2nd year. That said, it's probably going to be one of your more engaging modules. Essentially all you're told is "Make a formulation of drug X in form Y. Label it for use Z." and the rest is up to you. The practical exam is worth 40% and the written exam is worth 60% and both must be passed independent of each other. There is also 1 of 2 Pharmaceutical calculations exam that you need to get over 70% in to pass.

Pharmaceutical calculations and mathematics
    - Taught by two schools. The school of Maths covers functions, differential/integral calculus, differential equations and linear algebra. The school of Pharmacy covers pharmaceutical statistics, derivations of rate laws related to chemical kinetics and prescription compounding calculations. There's a simple Excel exercise worth 4% and the other 96% is examined in a written exam. The second Pharmaceutical calculations test is in this module. The first part of this module is probably the only "irrelevant" section of the TCD course and even at that it's not exceedingly difficult.

Practice of Pharmacy
    - Probably the most interesting module of them all. You start the year with ethics, the structure and laws of healthcare and the Pharmacist's place in Primary Care. Next up in the lectures is an introduction to Pharmaceutical care where you're introduced to topics like Pharmacology and Pathology. You then move on to practical classes (Which I enjoy) where you cover topics like communication skills (You're put in an observation room and have to do mock consultations) and clinical skills where you cover topics such as responding to requests for medicines and diagnosing common illnesses. There are also dispensing classes but they're only introductory for first year. There's also a 3000 word dissertation on a particular Pharmacy related topic every year. The module is examined with 80% written exam, 10% dissertation and other 10% practical exam. You need to pass each section of this module independent of the other to progress to 2nd year.

Integrated Pharmacy studies
    - A problem-based learning module that I haven't started yet. Your group is assigned a problem related to Pharmacy and you have to solve it and present your solution to the rest of your class. You're only graded satisfactory or not satisfactory and you need to pass this module to move on to second year.

As you can see, it's a fairly challenging but very rewarding course. You'll be in 9-5 before Christmas and 9-6 after Christmas with at least 9 hours of practicals every week. There are many assignments dotted throughout the year that you'll also need to work on. That said, it's an incredibly good course and i'd recommend it without hesitation. You'll love it. If you've any questions about the course just ask :)

Wow, thanks for that! It's exactly what I'm looking for :)

I was just wondering if you spend many hours studying during the week? And is the workload heavy or does a solid grounding in LC Biology/Chemistry help you out a fair bit?

DCU do medicine..?

Woops I mean UCD. Need to change that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Applied Physics-UL
    Science Choice-UL
    Engineering Choice-UL
    Music and Media Technology-UL(Gone a bit mad with this one.100% sure I wont get lower than 450 but I found this interesting so..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fifitrixybell

i literally just joined this to see if someone could tell me if for to apply to Mary for primary teaching must it be at the top of ur cao? didnt they have some rule about MI005 - primary school teaching having to be number 1 on the cao in order to be allowed go there once you get the points? i prefer things that are higher points but i have it number 1 at the moment cause im unsure about whether i can have it 3rd or 4th??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Arts in NUIG for myself! :D What about you?

Namlub wrote: »
    More than enough time? We're 17/18 years old filling out the CAO, not everyone at that age is so certain of the career path they want to follow for the rest of their lives. Again, not that difficult to understand but you clearly haven't taken my point into consideration at all, so meh.

What are you even talking about with this, having different courses on your CAO doesn't mean you're leaving your career path to "blind luck".

My point is that if you put a course down as no.1 therefore you must prefer it over the rest of them. Therefore why not put this one down, but in different colleges, in every position?

Likewise you say that we are not certain about which path to follow, but how is putting different courses on the list going to help, when we will only accept one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

i literally just joined this to see if someone could tell me if for to apply to Mary for primary teaching must it be at the top of ur cao? didnt they have some rule about MI005 - primary school teaching having to be number 1 on the cao in order to be allowed go there once you get the points? i prefer things that are higher points but i have it number 1 at the moment cause im unsure about whether i can have it 3rd or 4th??

Put your courses in order of preference. You'll get the one that's highest on your list that you have the points for, there's no rule about a course having to be number 1. If you'd like a different course better, put it higher on your list.

The lowest course on my CAO required ~500 points in 2011... Is it stupid to not put a relatively low points course down just in case? I don't see a way I'll get below 500 but still, I could've made a massive mistake in an exam and still not realised.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

1) Law and Arts - NUIM
    2) Civil Law - NUIG
    3) Corporate Law - NUIG
    4) Arts - NUIM
    5) Arts - NUIG

I'm praying that I've the grades for my Aberdeen offer though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The lowest course on my CAO required ~500 points in 2011... Is it stupid to not put a relatively low points course down just in case? I don't see a way I'll get below 500 but still, I could've made a massive mistake in an exam and still not realised.

Well you might as well throw something down really, it's not going to do any harm. But if there's nothing else you want and you won't accept any other course anyway, well there's no point. But it's basically not going to make a difference anyway. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

Arts in NUIG for myself! :D What about you?
    yeah same :D and ucd and nui maynooth :) i live in dublin so getting somewhere to live will be tricky haha

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

I've applied for Arts in NUIG as my second choice; my first is Arts with Creative Writing, also in NUIG. (: here's hoping (=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Anyone else hoping for Arts in Mary I? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Mine has changed a bit since last time I posted, so here we go ..

1. Psych - UCD
    2. Psych - TCD
    3. Psych - NUIG
    4. Psych and Sociology - UL
    5. Psych - NUIM
    6. Psych - UL
    7. Psych - DCU
    8. Speech and Language - NUIG
    9. Psych through science - NUIM
    10. Arts - NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

Finally CAO done!!

1. DN410 Radiography
    2. CW178 Sport Science
    3. DC209 Health and Society
    4. DT229 Clinical Measurement Science
    5. DT211 Computing
    6. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - full time
    7. AL835 Audiology
    8. LM080 Electronics
    9. SG449 Medical Biotechnology
    10. LM051 Computer Systems

and

1. CW106 Physiology and Health Science
    2. SG435 Health Science and Physiology
    3. WD078 Agricultural Science
    4. TL748 Agricultural Science
    5. AL733 Forensic Toxicology

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

1. CK101 Arts
    2. CK710 General Nursing
    3. CK210 Government
    4. CK401 Computer Science
    5. CR510 Sustainable Energy
    6. CR150 Business Information Systems
    7. CR310 IT Management
    8. CR106 Software Development
    9. CR660 Tourism

My new, updated CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Level 8.

1.  DN500 - Arts (UCD)
    2.  DC132 - Journalism (DCU)
    3.  DT582  - Journalism (DIT)
    4.  MH101 - Arts (NUIM)
    5. DN512 - English with Drama (UCD)
    6.  TR008 - World Religions and Theology (TCD)
    7.  DN514 - Geography Planning and Environmental Policy (UCD)
    8.  DT556  - International Business and Languages - (German) (DIT)
    9.  DT564  - International Business and Languages - (Italian) (DIT)
    10. BN112 - Creative Digital Media (ITB)

Level 7.

1.  DT212 - Science. Common 1st Year (DIT)
    2.  BN021 - Creative Digital Media (ITB)
    3.  BN030 - Early Childhood Care (ITB)
    4.  BN014 - Business (ITB)
    5.  DL133 - Audio Visual Media Technology (IADT)
    6.  TA301 - Applied Biology or Applied Chemistry (ITT)
    7.  TA315  - DNA and Forensic Science (ITT)

Finally settled on this, damn it having a huge interest in loads of things. I'd be delighted with my top 5 mostly. xD But think I gots it, hopefully. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Final decision :).

Level 8's
    1. CK203 Business Information Systems(UCC)
    2. DC120 Enterprise Computing (DCU)
    3. CR150 Business Information Systems(CIT)
    4. NC004 Business Information Systems(NCI)
    5. TA323 Information Technology Management(ITT)
    6. CR310 IT Management(CIT)
    7. BN101 Business(ITB)
    8. NC003 Computing(NCI)

Level 7's
    1. NC008 Management of Technology in Business(NCI)
    2. TA313 Information Technology Management(ITT)
    3. BN010 Business and Information Technology(ITB)
    4. BN016 Business (Common 1st Year)(ITB)
    5. DT315 Business Studies(DIT)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kathryn 95

Well i was stressed to limits and shuffled it around many times! I have:

1. Vet medicine UCD
    2. Science (BBB) UCD
    3. Science Trinity
    4. Vet nursing UCD
    5. Biosciences Carlow IT
    6. Ag science UCD

I think im happy, what are your thoughts on the whole CAO issue? Are you happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. TR012 History and Political Science
    2. DN621 Law with History
    3. DN622 Law with Politics
    4. TR003 History
    5. MH115 Law (BCL) and Arts
    6. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours - full time - History / Politics and Intl Relations
    7. GY101 Arts
    8. TR029 Political Science and Geography
    9. GY251 Civil Law
    10. DC132 Journalism

Advertisement